Would you buy a Mercedes mid sized pickup?

Would you buy a Mercedes mid sized pickup?

It's apparently going to be released in North America after all and will carry an optional diesel 6 cylinder. The Sprinters and Metris I've driven have been 10/10 work vehicles.

carscoops.com/2016/06/mercedes-spied-testing-2018-glt-pickup.html

it will be based in a nissan anyway

That's not a bad thing though. Nissan makes pretty awesome off roaders.

>made in Mexico

NĂ³

i don't think rednecks buy mercedes.

>redneck
>mid sized truck

this guy gets it

>implying that makes a difference
>implying they're not going to be built by robots regardless of where the factory is located
>Implying half of the cars sold here aren't already made in Mexico anyways.

This.
And this.
It'll be a badge engineered Navara.
>will carry an optional diesel 6 cylinder
I'll believe that when I see it. Most places are reporting it'll simply use the range of Nissan Diesel four cylinders already fitted.

The Nissan Navarra is already a good truck and sells very well in the UK.

A Mercedes pickup is going to sell like crazy.

The truck crowd will relentlessly attack owners of that.

And Mercedes a shit. I'd buy a Ram 1500 before I'd buy a merc again.

It's Mercedes trying to test the very profitable truck market. I mean people are actually stupid enough to pay big money for trucks now, so, they might as well test the waters.

Who's to say it's going to cost big money?

No one. I'm saying they can be very profitable in making them because you can get a premium for a truck.

They'll probably do what they always do and have some entry level model and then whore out the AMG badge.

Have you seen what a average equipped F-150 sells for? $40k and they go up up up from there.

But I guarantee you, people who buy and use trucks will be laughing at every Merc truck driver out there.

Can't see any possibility of an AMG tuned Navara what so ever.
If anything it'll fit into their commercial lineup with the Sprinter vans

Get an fully decked out truck from any if the big 3 and it's nearly 70k each. Mercedes can work with that.

>Have you seen what a average equipped F-150 sells for? $40k and they go up up up from there.
Ok, but this is based on a midsize 1/4 ton pickup. Smaller than the example you've pointed out. A better comparison would be Chevrolet's Colorado.
>But I guarantee you, people who buy and use trucks will be laughing at every Merc truck driver out there.
Anyone concerned about superficial views upon themselves will stick to brodozers. Otherwise, who gives a shit what the badge is.

They'll make an AMG anything now. No model is safe.

>But I guarantee you, people who buy and use trucks will be laughing at every Merc truck driver out there.
It's apparently not going to get sold in the US. Because, yeah, it would be the homo-truck.

As soon as you hear it's made in North America you know it's going to be shit, look at the damage the NA built BMWs and VWs did to there reputation.

It's called quality control.

Can you imagine a Mexican trying to fix one of those robots?

they just fly people in, obviously mercedes doesn't trust mexicans to do anything but cut the grass

Evidently you don't live around rednecks.

I trust Mexicans more than the hicks and nigs screwing cars together in the south desu.

Why are they going for such a swoopy design when they already make these?

Germany should leave the pickup market to the Burgers and Nips stealing it from them.

Because, if you didn't get the memo, it's an already pre-existing truck that'll cop Mercedes front sheet metal.
But why? Not that I'm paricularly interested in Amaroks myself, but they've been a huge sales success globally. The truck in OP in a Nip truck regardless.

Someone make a shop of the gelandewagen converted to a dual cab ute...

>f150 for 40k
Yup thats how much a Used one costs in my area.
Its honestly cheaper to buy a newer one and option it out yourself from the factory, atleast in this area.
Fake ass country people thinking a lift kit using blocks and a lightbar makes their truck worth an extra 10k, fuck the Valley.
California fag here.

Nope
A mid size truck will hurt Mercedes image.
If they produced a capable full size, captains of industry would flock to 'em like flies on shit.

>tfw I unironically want one
>tfw it's based off a Nissan
NOPE

There's a reason why their reputation differs across the pond.

What's wrong if it's based off a Nissan?

If anything it will make it reliable and cheap to fix unless Mercedes starts replacing a lot of stuff with their shit-engineered parts.

Nissan has been garbage since they got bought out by Renault. Since this is supposed to be a luxury truck, I guarantee it won't come with a manual. Nissan CVTs are fucking abysmal transmissions, and from personal experience have only had issues with Nissan quality and electronics.

Hasn't stopped Mercedes from introducing a compact work van in the American market

Now the people who bought Lincoln Blackwoods can upgrade to a new truck.

This.
>Since this is supposed to be a luxury truck, I guarantee it won't come with a manual
Who says it's supposed to be a luxury truck? I don't see why a manual will be omitted given their other light commercial offerings have as such.
While Nissan's general passenger car lineup may have gone to shit, their global light commercials such as D40s and Y61s are still good little trucks. Haven't heard any horror stories about the latest NP300 Navara on which this is based either. Your views here are irrelevant.

>All these double cabs with 5' beds
What's the point?

t. julio mendez from quintana roo

For jobs other than carrying 8x4 sheets of ply/plaster (which roof racks are for anyway).
If you want 8x4 sheets laid flat in the bed, you buy the single cab variant.

Because as a daily driver it's better to have a 4-door truck, but still have access to a bed when you need it.

Seems like a waste of torque the 364 days out of the year that they wouldn't be using it.
It's not really a matter of laying something flat in the bed, it's just kind of a dinky for carrying any decently sized payload.

For someone like me who uses a truck as a daily first, a work truck second, and a fun vehicle third... having the extra seats is pretty great for everything from transporting family to guns.

There's a large market for people who want trucks but don't need them.

> build a robot in mexico
> its just as lazy and stupid as every person there

Cucked again mercedes

Because of safety regulations

It'll fit a cubic metre of dirt or an ISO pallet. Hell, even chopped and well stacked firewood would threaten the ~1000kg payload.
But if your prerequisite is 8' lengths of some random material, you wouldn't be looking at a crew cab.

When I was dry walling we used these all the time, with a lockable fiberglass canopy to stash tools on the bed and full length roof racks for tressles, sheet and scotia. Awesome setup, and I wouldn't change a thing.

>1000kg of wood
>in a 5' bed
mfw

Also, the bed sounds convenient for condensed loads, but inconvient for people actually using them for working with decently sized loads.

AMG Black Edition Sprinter when?

tradesmen who go camping with friends/family?

Might work as a fleet vehicle, doubt it would sell as a personal vehicle unless theyre going for the escalade truck market

I thought the 1 1/2 cab short bed 1st gen Dakota was perfect for a DD/work vehicle. Seats 4 if you absolutely need to, but the bed was perfect for wood/engines/motorcycles/etc.

Great for towing cars and small trailers but it would probably be too small to regularly tow a big trailer

>1000kg of wood
>in a 5' bed
If it's a notable hardwood, that's not a problem.

And again, if a platform to carry "decently sized loads" is required, then you'd be optioning the single cab variant.

No is spelled the same dumbass

Personally waiting for the release of V6 Amarok but if its good mercedes might be an option by that time.

This pickup should be coming to the states in 2018. What kind of rear axle do those have. I read that they have a coil over rear suspension with makes it useless as a work truck.

The poverty pack fleet versions maintain a leafpack like the previous D40s, where as the upspec recreational trims have a coil (I think it's a multi link from memory). From memory the coil payload isn't too much of a trade off compared to the leaf, but I'll cross check that.

Seems as though the singlecab rear drive leaf sprung models have a payload of 1112kg where by comparison the highest spec highest tare dual cab coil rear still has a payload of 930kg (ofcourse you don't have to option the dual cab to get the coil option).
So it seems as though the trade off is minimal.

It's a damn swanky looking rear end too...

Thanks for the update. The Last Nissan I had was a hardbody, It really was a great truck. Hopefully this next gen will better then the last.

So far it seems alright since its release in Aus. There's plenty of reviews out there if you're interested.
Still think I'd have a hard time passing up the Isuzu D-Max though. Where everyone else seams to move towards smaller displacement refined motors, Isuzu have stuck with their truck like 4JJx engine.

>make mercedes pickup
>put 6.2l V8 from C63 AMG

I'd buy it.

Pickups don't work in the UK. Roads are tiny, tax is hideous, fuel is outrageously expensive.

You realise these pickups are smaller and just as/more frugal than the popular commercial vans right?

>Isuzu dmax
basically a Chevrolet Colorado. What makes it more appealing.
Also about the Nissan, I'm worried that they might drop the diesel engine cuz muh emissions or severally detune it. That what Toyota did with their 2.7s gas engines. The hilux gets 166 ponies and we're stuck with 159.

Yeah, I can't speak for your market's emissions target specifically, but the new Navaras in Aus meet Euro5 targets.
What's more appealing about the D-Max to me is it feels like an effortless truck. Keep in mid The Isuzu badged vehicle uses the Isuzu specific engine, not the slightly peakier VM Motori derived 2.8 with its origins in a lot of Jeep offroaders that's fitted to the rest of the global Colorados.

Real serviceable too. The oil filter is right near the top of the engine bay, right behind that intake pipe on the left hand side.

Your laws will fall in line due time. You cannot run from the smog ref.

Don't doubt it. Thankfully upsidedown convict land is a few years behind the rest of the developed world in terms of emissions amongst other things ;)

They could've made a G wagon with an 8 ft bed

They could've scaled down a unimog

But instead they rebadge a nissan. What a buncha homos.

>D-MAX
>basically a Chevrolet Colorado
Nope

Ah, he's right, it is.
Just with Chevrolet sheetmetal and the Isuzu 4JJ1 instead of GM's global VM Motori 428 derived "Duramax" unit.
They already make several different scale Unimogs, but something with a tractor like drivetrain in the size of a 1/4 ton pickup doesn't make sense on a practical and economic level.

why? Mercedes has an excellent reputation in Europe for commercial vehicles.

Because "but mah dumestic!"

Well a different engine is a pretty big difference.
Reviews I've read comparing them seem to say the Izuzu is different in a few other ways too

Stuff like spring rates, interior trim (the Holden Colorado front seats are more generous in terms of space), gearboxes, engine as pointed out previously and a few other things to identify with whatever region's domestic badge GM is selling them under, but apart from front and rear sheet metal, the body, chassis and the rest of the drivetrain is shared.

Not a 1/4 ton fan, id shit bricks over a 1ton unimog that was about the size of a superduty.

That's what the U500 pictured here is for.

I live in a mixture of a crammed town and a windy country region. My Seat Ibiza barely fits in places.

In that case, hatchback type vans are the go. But not all of UK is like that.