/smtg/ - 真・女神転生 / Shin Megami Tensei General

>SMTIV Final/SMTIV Apocalypse information
pastebin.com/Xmjsuv0D

Participate in the new /smtg/ sings:
collabedit.com/uvwta
pastebin.com/dKLqugTC

>MTII translation project
dmanufacture.com/t-dds2.php?build=5
(This build is downloadable and playable)

>Starter guide
i.imgur.com/zJcYpuE.png

>Tips and tricks
pastebin.com/bd3Bgfj8

>Artbook, soundtrack, manga, and other downloads
pastebin.com/NqLRYf5n

>New OST links
pastebin.com/kLbYxjFU

>Misc. translations
pastebin.com/kmMsiz1d

>Booru
smtg.booru.org/

>Recommended reading
pastebin.com/YppqPPjf

>SMT If... Tips & Tricks:
pastebin.com/KiwVr9Vy

>running Giten Megami Tensei in windowed mode with Chiitrans:
pastebin.com/T6KkHxW7

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V9hfbTv4veU
youtube.com/watch?v=iG9N1yjehmc
youtube.com/watch?v=sEN2Uo6RFR0
youtube.com/watch?v=g3LupjaBGmo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Samarecarm!

Hee ho

mudo

hama

Fuckyoudyne

/smtg/ sings fucking when? Come on, let's sing.
youtube.com/watch?v=V9hfbTv4veU

I'd be down, how would we do this?

Record yourself in vocaroo and then some faggot will put every entry together. The link also has the lyrics.

Is that user that was supposed to compile it still around?

There's no way of telling.

This project has a few months by now.

Hey, /smtg/, I've been gone for aeons. What happened to the Devil Summoner Translation? I know that one of our anons finished translating the script, but did that materialize into a fan translation ROMhack at any point? I think I remember there being talk of something like that.

Is there anything I need to know before I start SMT2?

You'll need 10 Magic.

Using the default names put points into Law. If you want to use the default names but don't want that, just delete and re-enter the names.

Euro release?

Wake up.

In which game is the Luck stat useful?

No

>not maxing Luck in every game

Megidolaon

Power Charge

Tarukaja

youtube.com/watch?v=iG9N1yjehmc

Die Hard

Debisama has the toolkit for patching the game, but it goes very slow, because he's very busy IRL right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=sEN2Uo6RFR0

This general is dead as shit.

Dead

The others couldn't survive in a world of STR

>user found /smtg/'s left arm!

Soul Hackers, Persona, Devil Summoner.

>Last Thread:
>209 replies
AHAHAHAHAHAH WE #FE NOW

DDS1, it makes grinding for money a lot faster. DDS2, not as much, but still helps.

Is everyone busy with school?

You need to be 18 to post in Veeky Forums

Try to stop me.

That's good to hear. Just making sure it wasn't dead. Thanks, user.

By 'school' I meant college. In my second week now.

youtube.com/watch?v=g3LupjaBGmo

Started playing this last night. I've never played an SMT game before other than P4G do I need to play any other games before this one? I know this is a remake but is there any reason to play the original over this?

DeSu is a standalone story and the Overclocked version is the original game, but with more content and better balanced gameplay.

>is there any reason to play the original over this?
no
>do I need to play any other games before this one?
no

Most people here have been too cynical and insufferable lately, and I'm trying out other games.

Thanks

Mortal Jihad

Its super effective.

Just reloaded a 2 years old save of DeSu Overclocked just to cuck Betatron again in Naoya's 8th day. Felt good.

>Record Breaker lets me have Yamato, Miyako and Al-Saiduq on the same team

LET'S
DO
THIS

So what's new in Apocalypse anyway? I haven't done much digging but I plan on buying at launch and wanna know how much it differs from IV gameplay wise.

SMT4A's combat is supposed to be improved so it's not a fucking instakill slot machine.

Also, less awful plot, but I've shit better plots than SMT4.

I think we need to let TMS#FE in the thread.

I liked Soul Hackers but it's not worth replaying. It's ALREADY incredibly easy as is and there's next to no plot to speak of and while the dungeons are better than SMT4 it's still not a particularly interesting game beyond the 90s anime cyberpunk aesthetic and abuse of the rule of cool.

They can try but I already sold the console.

So do figures of Aleph and the first protagonist just not exist?

I fucking hated how much dick/clit sucking Yamato and Miyako gets. Even when Miyako betrays you and you start getting hype over having a Coup on the JPs the game still goes "Nooo, Miyako is sooo perfect, she'd never do anything bad. She totally is a good guy".

Fighting Yamato and Ronaldo was the best part of DeSu2, hell fighting every friend you make was the best part of the Alcor route in the first game.

Then again, the Mainline bug is just stuck on me, telling me to kill my friends.

SMT combat is never going to be as good as EO but it could certainly be worth playing if they patch it up a bit.

The twins are pretty shit desu

Does anyone else think that's a cheap super boss? Its basically a test for no reason. Why not have a boss that actually is some kind of a villian? And if captain steve is so goddamn strong, why hasn't he lifted a single finger to help any protagonist thus far? Its not like he can't interact with the worlds they exist in, since he obviously gives them upgrades at times.

Yeah but who cares when you have demons like this to carry them

>You can now choose the partner you want to accompany you in battle
>STR is now linked to physical skills and DEX is merely for guns and piercing skills
>You can place markers in the map
>Demons now have skill affinities, so let's say that now Jack Frost can have stronger bufu skills while having weaker physical or fire skills
>Hard mode unlocked from the beginning, as well as the very hard mode available as free DLC
>There is some sort of GTA San Andreas-esque quest to gain control of Tokyo against other factions

And obviously it has a new places to explore and more demons.

>Judgement
>Curse Dance
>Gigajima
>Petra Eyes
>Marin fucking Karin

Also
>Ice Repel
Great Job healing the boss.

I have a 3DS/Vita and I've never played an SMT game. What's a good starting point.

Devil survivor overclocked.

It's enough to get me through anything in DeSu2 so who cares

Is there chinese inspired music in any megaten game?

We are lucky for having a couple of figures of some demons and Raidou.

Tetrakarn

Saw this on tumblr and praying it leaks early. I don't want to have to wait for the 20th to pick up my copy.

Does anyone else think atlus dropped the ball with the massacre ending? They're trying to present it as a neutral ending. But why? The entire "thing" about standard neutral was rejecting being willing to do the certain extreme purges associated with law to get it. Now we have the biggest purge in series, with unambiguous brainwashing besides, showing that you obviously don't value autonomy very highly like standard neutral does, and the only thing that makes it any different from a typical law ending is that you smirk like an asshole the whole time, and dagda is racist against demons. (which would fit just as easily on a regular law ending, since generally you banish the demons anyways, and the angels fuck off to somewhere or kill themself). But suddenly that counts as a "balance" based on nothing but that it has the aesthetics of chaos thrown onto law. Which if anything makes it worse than standard law. Who are they even trying to appeal to here? The only people who would think it can be spun as good, are typical lawfags, but they're trying to change it to not have the parts that appeals to said lawfags.

>racism against demons
gamefaqs plz

Don't you know Atlus logic?
Humans are in charge? That's neutral. The End.

How else would you call it. He decided that demons apparently inherently are unfit for interacting with humans, and so literally all of them need to be banished for good. Which is more than a little bizarre. Even if we accept that its a feature of demons that law and chaos ones go extra extreme, and that gods think of themselves as better than humans oftentimes, there's probably ways one can deal with that other than this.

The part that makes even less sense is the fact that this already happens in other games at times its not called neutral. In II, your law representative used to be human. You fight against both the angels and yhvh. At the end he dies, and passes the torch to the messiah, and gabriel fucks off with all the angels. So humans are in charge past then. It "doesn't count" since gabriel loosely having a 4% influence on the plot before then counts as anti human? The line about hiroko saying that you dont have yhvh or lucifer to cling to doesn't even make sense to be presented as exclusively neutral, since the same thing is true of law. Unless of course the implication is that in the larger sense in law, you still see "god" in a more pantheistic light.

But that's the thing. If siding with demons counts as "not human" even if it ends with humans, then how does massacre NOT qualify? Dagda is very obviously a demon. And satan is also. He doesn't even bring johnathan and walter back for you on massacre. So even if it ends with a human in charge, demons were there to be the reps of the goal. What's more that trend doesn't even totally hold, seeing as how in IVs universe both for neutral in IV and doubly so for bonds in IVA, there are very definitely gods there who are being clung to and relied on. Moreso in IVA.

Also the whole "chaos might only make sense as a reaction to law" nonsense is pretty bizarre. Unless its meant to be an insult to actual anarchists, saying that if you ever achieved that, it would slowly move back to neutral anyways, since total chaos is by nature unstable.

Well, I don't know really. One thing that has been part of neutral since SMT1 is that humans should solve their own problems and not rely on God/angels or (chaos) demons to do it for them. Maybe that's why massacre is neutral, it involves not rellying on either of those... is what I would like to say, but Satan joining you at the end throws a wrench in that theory.

Law, order, can also be seen as a reaction to freedom and chaos due to their unstable nature. It's a chicken-egg situation which real answer is that both had their birth with human consciousness. Animals and nautre are not conscious of their actions so they cannot control their actions so they can't be categorized as either lawful or chaotic

To make it even worse, Satan is still identified as a law demon in-game by his alignment. The implication then being that he's some form of alternate law, where his loyalties don't lie with the law of standard understanding, but the idea of an administrator in general. Which at the end he decides should be you? Maybe they just didn't want to align him as neutral since he is an angel, and no angels or fallen angels have ever been neutral.

It seems like what they're trying to go with is that on law and chaos even if you end with no one over humans, those are still """associated""" whatever that means with angels and fallen angels. Whereas if what you are doing is not, then for no reason they'll lump you into neutral. and since you yourself are the administrator, there's no one else you're going with. But that's still bizarre and incoherent.

Anybody know if there's a way to break open iOS apps? I bet the English SMT1 they released is little more than a GBA image and an emulator.

That seems inconsistent though, seeing as how the game seems to imply that animals are way chaotic, and associates chaos with living like things do in nature, where things simply die when its required. And so human existence is the stable regulation of it in human ways. With law going even further. If one considers the alignments as actual ideological zones, it doesn't take much creativity to realize that amoral animals resemble chaos the most.

It's neutral because they've degenerated Law and Chaos into nothing more than meaningless theater for YHVH

In other words, it's shit

YHVH is Atlus.

Law and Chaos is meaningless theater for Atlus.

Persona 4 Golden on VITA

Devil Survivor Overclocked if you want a more vanilla SMT feel on 3DS

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker if you want a more Persona feel on 3DS

Who is ironically himself also neutral, since he wants a balance of law and chaos to exist on the long term.

Honestly, we should have seen this coming with record breaker. Miyako is the pseudo law character, and siding with her gives you a bad end. And the game is pretty clear that despite administrator being a little law ish and yamato being chaos ish that its presenting the real endings all as forms of neutral. Now this nonsense is making its way into mainline.

Is society in the West heading towards a Law path?

Maybe bonds and massacre are meant like the "human/neutral" chaos and "human/neutral" law. In comparison to the standard "alien" chaos and "alien" law which are not really pro-human but more like the perfect systems of chaos demons and angels. When you think about bonds ends with all the humans and gods still coexisting with each other, which means there are still a lot of ideals represented by them, a lot of ideals = chaos. In massacre there is just one god - you who represents the one single ideal of the new world, one ideal = law.

More like Chaos with Law figureheads.

It made its way into mainline with SMT4. The law and chaos endings were total lol. And they're joke dummy endings in 4A too..

The endings there were extreme, but they were still endings. If you count bias, its been around since literally forever. But it went from bias to that just not being enough and so actively making you have no options.

Am I being an idiot why do Demons like to steal my shit and run away whenever I talk to them. Is it because I'm playing SMT 4 retardedly? I have expert scout.

Who says the game developers know their shit? They some japs dudes not philosophy majors. Order and Chaos are human concepts entirely based around human behavior. To coin their presence or absence in nature is nothing but projecting our sentience into their lack of it. It's a mark of solitude in earth as conscious beings.

If you don't mind, would you like to explain your reasoning? I was considering Law leaning as a societal whole because of the rampant censorship of persons that disagree with a given party, self victimizing for emotional swaying, crazy leaks on the web... I just feel as though if you chose any one person at random today, they'd easily take the road to create a world that completely echoes their ideals and rather than outright destroying the opposition (that I would consider a Chaos move), they'd rather make them a lower class citizen.

I may or may not be autistically crafting a US based SMT short story.

Well, the way they are presented does make them seem like dark/law and light/chaos. Which since normal law is light/law and normal chaos is dark/chaos, then switching those does count as a KIND of balance. But the question is what makes this balance any "more human" than normal? For bonds its understandable what makes it human, since while the gods are still around, they represent human thoughts and are now kept more under control. And this is only a balance based on how the sides are normally presented. Massacre is still different from neutral. Its just different in a way that has some aspects of two sides who were previously considered the edges. But that's not really enough to make it human.

But for massacre, literally all the different human sides side against you, whereas IVs universe obviously pre-established that some of them correspond to law and chaos to certain degrees, even if being imperfect. Same as how in the past there were religions run by humans also. Which leads us back into the weird flip flop it is to admit that humans made these religions and their ideologies, but then insisting its not human. Massacre is among the most extreme endings yet. So its clearly not closer to normal neutral by much than standard law and chaos. Yet somehow casually throwing on dagda saying that a human will be in charge instead of a god makes it human somehow. Despite the fact that you are now heavily different from anything resembling a standard human, both power wise, and due to owning the seat of power, and ideologically.

Not only that of course, satan comes along and says there should be one person in charge, and him and you vote for you, so yhvh loses the vote. Obviously this implies that your role is demon approved. Despite ironically not by most of the demons. and someone having the power of a god over the rest of humans is far from "natural." Hell, in SJ arthur thought worshiping him itself would be improper, despite not a demon. Why not for you?

The problem there is that neutral doesn't mean "no answer." It means between. So there's no reason to assume that some default defaults to neutral when it actually means in the middle of something.

The problem is that most neutral players are dumb and think neutral means everything else but me is retarded.

The problem with lumping multiple things into neutral is the bizarre ambiguity. So for the most part all real world groups count as neutral? Making all real situations seem like no disagreement exists since they are all the same thing seems to radically miss the point of there being disagreement in general. Sure, real world groups don't usually disagree enough to need to fight over it. But even so.

By calling massacre "human/neutral" law, I really just meant that the one single ideal is now represented by a human who got turned into a god, and that it's considered neutral simpy because of that.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, since law and chaos are suppose to be about certain actions and ways of thinking in general. Like say Infernal Akira who the game clearly identifies as law and he talks about lawful ideals but there are no angels anywhere to associate him with.

But that seems to be what they are simplifying into now.

When do I get Pierce+ in DeSu2 Triangulum?

I really am facing a dilemma here between Pierce and Anti-Most.

>gba image and an emulator
nah, it's not a standard rom or a standard emulator, the music wouldn't fit in a regular rom or play in a regular emulator
they likely edited some old code to make the game pass calls to the app to play music rather than have the game play it's own music.
the emulator and rom are likely inseparable.
then again, i'm assuming merely based on my limmited knowledge, and you know what they say about assuming