I want a small older roadster Veeky Forums

I want a small older roadster Veeky Forums
What are my options here?

I'd like to shoot for pre 75.

Something like an MG or a Jensen but doesn't have to be British.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nbcvHEaWG9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Corvair spyder convertable.

Can't those not turn or something?

They can turn very well.

Some permavirgin once said they were UNSAFE because they use the same suspension as modern cars.

what's your budget and where do you live?

Only acceptable answer, do it, you won't regret it

California (hence the pre-75)
Budget is:
Now: maybe 800 max
In 2 months: maybe 3k
Weekly: probably 1-200, 400 if my other projects stop being shit.

I don't really know about classic car prices in the US but over here, 3k definitely won't get you anything driveable. Your best bet might be a Triumph Spitfire or an MG but I'm sure you might have to drop a lot of money in them.

youtube.com/watch?v=nbcvHEaWG9A

>subeam tiger
yeah if he has 30k to spend on a rusted frame
good quality tigers go for 100k

dat jap reliability

'72 merc

Don't they use a retarded swing-arm suspension?

I'm seeing midgets in working order for less then 2k but I want to weigh my options here

Funniest thing is that a 77-80 MGB is what you need because of the improvements they made to the mechanicals. V8 cooling system, V8 crossmember from the GT, has a rear roll bar and the front one back, the list goes on. The last few years of the MGB saw it really overengineered and become actually reliable.

Honestly, since you're probably going to engine swap a Rover V8 into anyways (and all of those are post-87) , I'd say go for it.

Midgets are awesome

>road legal toy car

I'd be keeping the drivetrain, but probably a complete suspension rebuild and lightening

>keeping the drivetrain
In that case, get a last years MGB. They even went and rewired it with a 12-volt electrical system at the factory so you don't have to, and with the V8 cooling system already stock you will never ever overheat the thing. Drop the rubber bumpers and lower it back to the old stock ride height and you'll have a fun sports car. I myself like them, but they're really only conducive to DDing it.

If you get a Midget, same deal. Drop the bumpers and lower the height, and its performance shoots straight up. I don't know if their last years have a 6-volt or 12-volt electrical system, though.

Right... But as I live in California, one from a smog exempt year is a necessity.

So at most, a 74. A 12v system wouldn't be the end of the world, but why? Are 6v parts not available anymore?

The 6 volt system is a positive ground. You know all the stories British electrical systems? That's a big reason they exist.

What's so bad about that? I would assume Mexicans hooking stuff up wrong?
Never really dealt with 6v stuff.

Reverse polarity means it attracts corrosion

Electrical nightmare. And Mexicans had nothing to do with it; they came from the factory like that. Pretty much all British cars that are positive ground are known for having extremely unreliable electrical systems.

From what I'm reading, they have issues with rain, and that a tail lamp is used for the ballast resistor on the ignition.

Still can't be too hard to rewire the whole thing, can it? I'd probably be doing it anyway later on for weight reduction brah.

What you need is the Auticars co. Sabra.
It is a small stylish roadster with a 1703 cc ford engine and fiberglass body. Built between 1961 and 1969. This car was built in the holy land by god's chosen people.

Well, if you're going to do it anyway, feel free. Just bear in mind you're gonna have a car running on gremlins whenever it rains until you do.

It doesn't rain in California.

How am I going to race through the wooded areas of Pebble Beach, or the wine trails of Napa Valley in THAT piece of shit?

first of all it's a great car, way better than british shit, the engine is amazing if you can get 1971 500 cubic inch you will have 370hp and 500 something of torque at very low rpm, the equpement is better, styling, comfort, it's more roomy, it's more reliable and has better built quality than your british choices. Maybe at least i would be very pleased and happy to take the caddy on the roads you've mentioned and just cruise and enjoy myself with some good tunes, why is Veeky Forums so obsessed with racing shitboxes

It's also a fucking boat that weighs two fucking tons.

What's your budget? You could probably get a 550 Spyder replica made with an air cooled VW flat 4 for like $20k

yes thats the beauty of it, no compromises times when cadillac was king, best cruising machine ever built

>Tfw will never have a Shelby Series 1

read the fucking thread you double nigger

lol OP wants a small roadster. Just look at the size difference.

Yes, let me just sift through all the replies in order to find information that may or may not be there because OP didn't bother including it in his original post

>I can't be bothered to read the replies so let me just add more replies which other people can't be bothered to read.

Thank you for your contribution.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit

>could easily park on the hood of the other car.

A Miata

I know but still thats what i would buy it was just my personal advice

I don't have any good pics on me but why has no one recommend an e-type?

>E-Type
>Cheap

Even the V12s are over 20 grand.

Second,

oh shit son
missed that budget
good luck

OP here, so no thought on a Jensen Healey? There's a 73 for 900 but it doesn't run. If it doesn't need tons of parts though...

as an owner of an MGB, go for it
dead simple to fix, fairly cheap parts in good supply
I would recommend something between 68-72
earlier cars have a problematic rear end, shitty electrics and main bearings that like being changed

post 72 you have emission systems to deal with, shitty suspension setup and those goddamn rubber bumpers

>keeping the drivetrain
You don't have deep pockets so stay away from anything British or Italian.

The engine of the MGB wasn't the problem. The B-series engine is a cast-iron block that's as simple as you can make an engine. It's the carbs and electrical system that are the real problems.

Eyyy mang I like them. They make the car practical to drive as a daily.

>hey Veeky Forums I want a small classic roadster, suggestions?
>have a fuckhuge land yacht

AUSTIN HEALEY SPRITE

very rare, but theres a few here and there in the states for anywhere from $10K to $40K

>Don't they use a retarded swing-arm suspension?
Dunno about retarded swing-arm suspension but they use functional swing arm suspension.

God, you obviously have no idea what your talking about. British cars, at least anything post WWII, didn't have 6 volt electrics and only some companies were using positive ground. And that pretty much stopped by the mid 60's.

OP, go find yourself a Triumph Spitfire. It'll be in a similar price range to the Midget, but is a far better sports car. Triumphs were always a faster, better handling car than am MG.

Get a Miata, seriously. It's in your price range and it won't need a restoration to keep driving.

But then everyone will know he's gay

I considered a miata, but they have this sort of cult that goes with it and I just want a lovely little car to cruse around with the top down on Highway 1, but still go hit a track day if I want.

>but they have this sort of cult that goes with it

That's called "a community" and "aftermarket support."

No, it's called kids under 18 with vaporizers and doing unsafe and dangerous things to and with their cars.

If I got one, with the wide tires I plan on using, it would make me look like that crowd and I'd get kicked out of country clubs and other stuff over it.

That's true for every affordable sportscar you insecure idiot

>country club
Get a Boxster if you're afraid of looking like a man child. It won't help much though because you already are a man child with your outlook and insecurities

Miatacucks on full damage control

>get called out for his insecurities
>LEL YOU A KUCK
You're the reason why this board is shit

[damage control intensifies]

[shitposting intensifies]

>No, it's called kids under 18 with vaporizers and doing unsafe and dangerous things to and with their cars.

Compared to the Civic and GTI scene it's nothing. Grow a pair and act like an adult.

The valet won't be very impressed when your MG dies while he's trying to park it and has to be towed off to Nigel Whitworth-Fosbury to have the Solexes rebuilt.

90% of Miata owners are over 50. Just don't be a faggot.

>not wanting to own a car that has a retarded following is now considered insecure
good job proving his point

Kill yourself you fucking know-nothing faggot.

Go on literally any forum for any specific car and you'll find that they're retards

Retard