/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11116589
strawpoll.me/11116600
strawpoll.me/11116872
strawpoll.me/11116886
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want to suck off a gamedev while he's gamedevving. Who's up for it?

Posting one more time because I'm a huge faggot who can't make decisions on his own, and I shouldn't post this at the end of a thread. Feel free to ignore me being a massive faggot.

Witch's Brew Dev here asking some questions. Witch's brew is a resource management rogue like game where you play as a witch who lives at the edge of a town. You help towns folk and try to not get a mob to come kill you.

I'm here to ask a few questions. I would greatly appreciate answers:

Should events be entirely random, partially scripted/partially randoms, or entirely scripted?
strawpoll.me/11116589

Should I add a raw health stat for the witch in case of bodily injury?
strawpoll.me/11116600

Cute witch girl or old crone?
strawpoll.me/11116872

Continue where last witch died, start over from new village, or have option for either?
strawpoll.me/11116886

sorry im taken

im uncut

m-me

when your stack trace blows the stack

janni confirmed seagull fucker

Best source of motivation is to have no friends at all so you end up wanting to impress people around you because you want friends.

How do into lewd game for jam
Is there a tutorial for this?

If I don't like your game, I'll steal this idea and will try to make a game I like.

>GI
Could be done in a day. Implementing GI is pretty trivial, the hard part is on the cutting edge researching it
>light maps
Not necessary, all the lighting can be dynamic
>baking
see above
>over 4 3d targets
trivial
>multiple file formats
assimp exists
>cross platform system IO tools
boost exists
>a 3d editor
nobody serious actually uses the Unity editor anyway, and the Unreal editor doesn't really have any outstanding features
>a 3d audio engine
OpenAL does this for you
>instancing tools, batching tools
These are implicit with a good architecture

I'm fairly confident I could build all the features of Unreal/Unity that an RTS would actually use in about two weeks, but with a more domain specific backend. Enginedev really isn't as hard as people like to make out, the hard part is engine design and research which is already done for you by various other parties.

where do you live? Hopefully you're in my state user.

>tfw this applies to you
>tfw someone says something bad about your game and you get depressed for a week

make a game and then add lewd

when the recursive function used to calculate your mother's mass causes a stack overflow, crashing to BSOD

>>instancing tools, batching tools
What did he even mean by "tools" for those things?
People just love to spout random buzzwords.

PHYSICALLY

BASED

What?

Rotate?

gogem.

Brogulls should be AGDGs new mascot

>Added Zangief spin for boss
>Added Triad mobs with machine guns

Now I only need to redo the way damage is calculated across the game, add more mechanics, improve AI so that I can have more adds without them trying to run to the same place, add some sounds, re-add knockback + particle on-hit effects, balance player health, movement and enemy abilities, re-block the environment and package the game without errors...
>all by demo day
I am sweatin

>in order to make a single game yourself you must first build all the tools for mass production of games that are nothing like yours
Why are anti-enginedevs so stupid?

I want to make a top down RPG with platforming elements akin to Mario & Luigi. Right now I'm trying to set up wall and floor tiles in Game Maker such that the height of the walls add together when vertically adjacent and the floor tile directly above the highest wall tile will determine the floor height for that column of floor tiles. The eventual goal would be to let the player pass through floor tiles if their z level was higher than that of the floor's, but I still don't know how to set up the player / wall interaction.

Is there a way to do a single instance collision check so that I don't end up adding wall height every frame and ultimately make the walls impossible to pass?

>I'm fairly confident I could build all the features of Unreal/Unity that an RTS would actually use in about two weeks,

And yet you still don't have a game. I have actually worked on an engine and worked with developers that used it to release games. The delusion of retards like you amazes me.

Of course, rendering in 4 different graphics pipelines is super easy and only takes 2 weeks to be feature complete :^)

Thankfully anybody with any knowledge on the subject knows you are a complete and total retard.

Of course, you are still welcome to show all this proof. It's so easy that I'm sure you've done it multiple times.

>make a twin stick shooter
>make the mouse control both sticks at once
What did he mean by this?

Instancing is not implicit you fucking retard.

>you need a "tool" for instancing

Also the deflection for certain things is impressive.

>Why would I make that when I can just use a third party library!

Your "engine" in the end is just going to be a bunch of hacked together dependencies of varying quality and zero support.

>Boost exist
>BOOST
>USING FUCKING BOOST

Holy shit.

>its another agdg argument about engines

>Shaders are not tools

It's not a twin stick shooter, it's mouse click to move, and skills/abilities also turn you. I haven't played with the turn rate or alternate control schemes like twin-stick yet, but I will be.

>Your "engine" in the end is just going to be a bunch of hacked together dependencies of varying quality and zero support.
>you must write your engine from scratch in assembly or it doesn't count
Other than boost there is literally nothing wrong with using libraries.

Shaders are code.

But what is the best way of adding lewd? And what makes a game a good game for adding lewd to?

Yes. You are right.

And it's almost like you can get well made, well put together libraries that aid you in the creation of video games that also come with visual editors. Could package them all up and distribute them.

Oh well though, that is probably just a pipe dream :^)

have you noticed that everything always takes 2-4 times longer than you think it will

>visual editors

>And it's almost like you can get well made, well put together libraries
Hope you don't suggest unity.

=

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Everything on your computer is code.

>shaders are tools

is this the final straw?

No, they were written with code. I guess, to be technical, shaders are programs that run on your graphics hardware. But they're not tools. You just write them like any other procedure and they do their job.

>Of course, rendering in 4 different graphics pipelines is super easy and only takes 2 weeks to be feature complete :^)
Why do you need four different rendering paths for an RTS? Targeting OpenGL 4.1 exclusively gives you access to the market for your game with all the features you need. "Feature complete" has a different meaning if you only target features that you need.

>Of course, you are still welcome to show all this proof. It's so easy that I'm sure you've done it multiple times.
Granted, I've never produced a full game, but I did implement a full renderer for my masters thesis. It took about a week for everything except for the part I was researching.

>Your "engine" in the end is just going to be a bunch of hacked together dependencies of varying quality and zero support.
What do you think an engine is?

Except the compile time because there is always a syntax error

is it ok to rip off someone else's art style? after all yiu can't copyright an art style. i mean stuff like copuing proportion sizes and facial expressions, not the characters themselves.

>Implying you need a special shader for instancing

The shader is ignorant of where the geometry comes from.

>is it ok to rip off someone else's art style?
Yes but people will always think of your game as a chiense knockoff of whatever you're ripping off.

It is OK as long as you don't take youself seriously as an artist

>He makes things like UI and enemy placements in code

Even when I used my own engine the first thing I did was create an editor to do that visually. Are you retarded?

Even before they could do it visually on a computer with an editor at Nintendo they did it visually on paper and then entered in the corresponding ASM.

>a device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function.
>or implement
>used to carry out a particular function

Anti-enginedevs are the most insecure posters here. Just because you treat your engine as black magic and get everything you need from an asset store it doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else to make one for their game.

shit. why do i ask questions i already knew the answer to. i guess i was hoping for an answer i wanted to hear.

Invent a new style by mixing the style of multiple artists, not just a single one.

>he doesn't see the domain difference between an asset import library and an engine

An engine forces you to use their general purpose, often ugly abstraction when actually developing games. Cobbling together lower level libraries allows you to create your own more elegant model of the same underlying systems.

>all of you acting like you'll ever amount to anything

how cute

>What do you think an engine is?
What do YOU think an engine is? Your entire argument here is that you don't need one, then you just made everything harder for no reason by using a bunch of dependencies instead of writing things from scratch meaning you are using your own pseudo engine anyway.

>Granted, I've never produced a full game,
>I've never actually made production code, and I've never actually released anything or even developed anything that had to test my code or meet any requirements, but in school once I wrote something

Gold star for you.

>Targeting OpenGL 4.1 exclusively gives you access to the market for your game with all the features you need.

Shit AMD performance, and not as good Nvidia performance when compared to DirectX, unless you use Vulkan, in which case older graphics cards simply will not work.

To anybody reading this reply chain who actually wants to make a video game, I have released my own game in a prebuilt engine, and before that I worked as an engine developer. If your game requires any significant complexity there is no point in making your own engine unless you are working with at least 3 or 4 other people. Of course you can be like the college kid who "totally wrote a renderer" once.

You can very easily write a renderer. You can write a CPU renderer, or even a GPU renderer in the next 3 hours in fact. But anybody who works on renderers would laugh at you for thinking suddenly you are "done" because you have triangles on the screen.

>An engine forces you to use their general purpose, often ugly abstraction when actually developing games.
You should add on that they're designed that way to accommodate all the various types of games that you "should" be able to use the engine for.
It's a tradeoff of using general purpose engines to save time vs making a game specific engine.

Engine fanboys are the worst though.

I'm retarded and literally restated your point.
Sorry.

Anything created to do a significantly complex enough task is going to be accomplished in a way that forces you into some kind of paradigm, and the only way to get that paradigm totally in sync with what you personally want is to write everything yourself.

If this interest you, do it. There are even series like Handmade Hero that go into these tiny details, and everybody who does this should have knowledge of how the things they use work.

But if you want to make a video game stop getting triggered by UObjects and MonoBehaviors and make a video game.

Oy I have already amounted to many things

Anubisdev

>talks shit about other furries when he is a filthy furry himself
>got legitimately scared and angry when people were paying attention to that tiger guy
>says he doesn't post because of all the furries
>his game is a corruption of champions rip off where the furry avatars fuck
>stole assets from Zelda games but acts superior to the other furfag devs

Is he like the self hating Jews or something?

The low level functions of an engine should be able to work for any style of game or your programmed them terribly, and higher level shit like NavMesh can be ignored when working with larger engines.

If you have a good argument for making your own tech, then follow that argument. Even if it's like Jonathan Blows argument where he wants total control over his code and not have to depend on anybody, then go ahead.

Also remember it took him fucking years to make his game, a team of multiple people, he had millions of dollars, he got insanely lucky with Briad and a bunch of other stuff.

Engine deving and game deving require two different separate skill sets, and not wholly transferable. Just because you're learning the intricacies of OpenGL does not make you a great game dev.

Making games helps you develop game dev skills. Thinking about mechanics, thinking about level design, thinking about animation, thinking about gameplay, these are the things that make you a better gamedev.

Enginedevs are a plague that trots around disguised as "gamedev" that needs to be wiped off.

i might not look like much but it makes me happy to see it working properly

but what if someone...........does both............woah........

>you can't make an engine and use it for a game
Don't you have a new unity asset to pirate?

>Haven't worked on game in 2 weeks
>Too turned off by how incompetent I am
>Not gonna make it

In Blow's case there were no good engines when he started the witness. I still think he's wasting his time making his meme language.

Anyone have any good tutorials for a character creator with model deformation?

Preferably UE4 or Unity.

SLICC

>implying enginedevs ever get shit done

You've probably never actually worked in the game industry but you would be surprised to know in the west that most people who work on engines don't do anything related to game design. Game designers do that. Engine devs are responsible for implementing engine features. Good game designers are programmers, but they are gameplay programmers. Gameplay code is not elegant because it's not systems. Engine programmers are far better programmers usually and make much "better" code, by virtue of the things they are programming.

If that stuff really interest you, it's a viable job and you can go do it, but stop trying to get people into the mindset that they need to know this stuff to make video games, even on a professional level. It's counter productive if you want to do game design to learn how to make OpenGL renders unless you are going to be a one man army who makes his own engine and tools and game.

If so good luck. Not impossible, takes a lot of passion, and you should probably stop shit posting here and get back to work because you have 3 times the workload.

>got legitimately scared and angry when people were paying attention to that tiger guy
>Is he like the self hating Jews or something?
I don't like generalizations too much, but I believe most furfags have an attention whore in them, you have to when you make public your unusual fetishes in the way they do. At some point attention whores start crossing the masochism line, because in order to get attention, they are willing to humilliate themselves for that attention (just look at rotate) and maybe because deep inside they believe they are degenerates, everyone arounds them says it after all.

To Blow, there still are no good engines. He hates Unity and Unreal, doesn't like Cryengine, etc.

That's fine. He had the money to make his own tech and they spent a long time developing tech before they even started on the game.

As for his language, that's actually probably the best thing he's doing tech wise. It's actually fairly well designed, and because of the way it compiles it will already work everywhere C works (which is everywhere.)

If you agree with the design of the language there is actually no reason not to use it for your game projects because it has total interlopability with C.

His language is actually so goo

>Your entire argument here is that you don't need one, then you just made everything harder for no reason by using a bunch of dependencies instead of writing things from scratch meaning you are using your own pseudo engine anyway.
My argument is that the valuable part of the product that Unreal and Unity provide is the abstraction. If that would make your game harder to develop or result in a less robust finished product, you'd be better off developing your own. Your original point is that if someone wants to make an RTS in Unreal they should just build another abstraction layer on top of the engine that already exists. If you're going to do that anyway, why not just link it directly to the core systems that Unreal already models?

>Shit AMD performance, and not as good Nvidia performance when compared to DirectX, unless you use Vulkan, in which case older graphics cards simply will not work.
Again, does this matter for an RTS? Strategy games in general tend to be CPU bound. Vulkan would give you a huge advantage in this regard, but with a good architecture that's something you can just implement as an afterthought if you find that your performance is lacking.

>You can very easily write a renderer. You can write a CPU renderer, or even a GPU renderer in the next 3 hours in fact. But anybody who works on renderers would laugh at you for thinking suddenly you are "done" because you have triangles on the screen.
This is exactly my point, see above.

What are the recommended options for databasing items and their stats and so on for c#/unity? XML, JSON, any others?

I recommend that you don't do this.

I think I might need to try an overlay effect that just has random slashes travel across the screen instead of this.

I'm just using normal sword attacks right now as a placeholder, once I get the attack animations set up where I'm happy with them, I'm gonna make this way fucking crazier.

wait a moment, does a publisher give you money in exchange of your game?

>Your original point is that if someone wants to make an RTS in Unreal they should just build another abstraction layer on top of the engine that already exists.
No your original point is that having to write gameplay code, IE RTS gameplay code for something like Unreal is an extra layer of abstraction that wouldn't otherwise exist when in fact these engines make no assumption about the games you are making ever and you always have to go through this process.

There is no default gameplay style in Unity for example. You get a blank screen with nothing. In my own games, for collisions for example I do not use Unity's "built in" style physics and only it's shape tools.

Unity's physics existing has never hurt me in any way in this process, and it would of been substantially more work to just go find some shape library and write everything in C.

>Again, does this matter for an RTS? Strategy games in general tend to be CPU bound.

The CPU bottlenecks for RTS games come from the graphics drivers typically, still a renderer problem. You want to support at least 2 paths because of this.

>This is exactly my point, see above.

If that's exactly your point, then you are a retard because a render like that is not useful or feature complete nor is it even stable because it hasn't been tested.

How else would I do it?

It's AGDG bingo! Today's theme is Game Maker devs.

A good publisher will help you by funding the development of the game, marketing and all that jazz for a massive cut of your profit once you start selling the game.
Careful, some might get you to transfer the IP to them in which case you're fucked.

Its just hilarious. He said in the last thread that he doesn't post because of all the furries, and bashed that tigerdev guy back when he was posting.

>get good idea for a game
>every new idea I get spawns dozens of new ideas
>every new idea makes me lose hope that I would ever finish it
>end up giving up before starting anything

Json for readability during development and binary for speed and efficiency at release.

>3D Modeling
Damn this is exhausting. Takes hours to even make anything.

Isn't one of Unity's big features that you can use the editor and inspector at runtime?

>putting knights, medieval stuff, sword wielding heroes and grappling hooks in the dev bingo as if it's a bad thing

You disgust me.

Looks cool.

>nor is it even stable because it hasn't been tested.

>testing things
>not proving they work with maths

looks like someone isn't using the glorious enginedev master language

its easyer than pixelart once you automate rigging. if you choose low poly without normal maps.

Oh wow, it almost looks like I know what I'm doing.

I added a simple multiplayer chat. The window actually looks smaller when it is fullscreen and fades away if no new messages are shown.
Next step will be some actual racing logic like checkpoints, and recording who won and stuff like that