CAD Drafting Automotive Careers

My local CC offers a AS in CAD drafting. You come out with certs in Solid Works, MasterCAM and Haas CNC machines.

What kind of automotive related jobs could I get with this? I'm a natural at designing structures, no formal education though.

Do it, it's a nice program. You can do suspension manufacturing and engine components like superchargers and turbos but you're most likely to start out working for another industry.
There are many things you can design like aircraft to firearms.
CAD/CAM software will be kinda easy to go through if you like tinkering around with programs like photoshop or a sculpting software.
G-code will become easy if you practice writing programs from scratch from reading a blueprint then test them out in a simulation. Employers are keen on guys that understand the machining process and understand g-code.

Great to hear.

I figured I might have to start somewhere else then lateral into automotive once I have a portfolio and contacts. When you said another industry what did you have in mind, who is hurting for guys with these certs?

I'll break out the bad news. Depending what industry is large in your state/province, most shops will do work for that industry and when shit goes down in that industry, there will be layoffs and you're most likely to move out finding work outside the state/province if you can't find someone willing to hire.
In my area it's mostly just oil and construction machinery, if you're in a coastal area most machining work will go to the shipyards, depends what's big.
Just find an auto parts manufacturer when you get enough experience. Build up that resume from working in different shops but don't switch out crazily, work there for a year or two then move to another shop. Shops will make certain parts for certain industries and it's interesting on what one shop works on from another.
It's kinda funny but you can try working for a hospital when you've completed the program, since they do have CNC techs making custom fixtures to keep a patients body part from moving while in a scanner.

>there will be layoffs and you're most likely to move out finding work outside the state/province if you can't find someone willing to hire.
Oddly enough this is good to hear. I have had to move a lot, I've stopped fighting it and literally everything I own will fit into the back of an SUV. I can move easier than most people.

>It's kinda funny but you can try working for a hospital when you've completed the program, since they do have CNC techs making custom fixtures to keep a patients body part from moving while in a scanner.
Whoa, never would have guessed.

Bump

one last bump for great justice

I work as a cnc machinist/programmer we do aerospace and build tooling for circuit board assembly. We are always busy aerospace is booming. Medical is great too. Stay away from anything to do with oil.

How did you get into it? What did it take to get your first job offer?

DAILY REMINDER
CWC majored in CAD

Who?

Work for a tier 1 automotive supplier. It's super easy to find a job if you live in Michigan and all you would need is basic CAD drafting and/or manufactoring skills such as Milling/machining/lathe etc. The only downside is you live in Michigan.

My dad works in the contract furnishings industry (office furniture basically) and from what he tells me, finding a potential employee who is proficient in Solidworks is close to impossible. You don't even have to go into the automotive field to find a great CAD-related job.

Fuck off busrider

...what?

Awesome guys, thank you!

Learning SW is a great thing to do regardless of what field of design you want to get into. Its not hard to learn if you understand geometry and are willing to spend 5 hours figuring out how to get a surface to work properly.

If you learn SW you can get into Catia very easily which opens you up to carrier progression as well.

Just remember that when you are frustrated the most you are learning the most, as you learn you will want to kill yourself because you can't get something to work and your entire assembly is broken with errors.

Why can I not find these people that need a solidworks pro? I know they are out there but I cannot find them. I need to intern to complete my degree.

>Just remember that when you are frustrated the most you are learning the most, as you learn you will want to kill yourself because you can't get something to work and your entire assembly is broken with errors.
Really good advice, having the will to look 100 simultaneous problems in the face and not blink got me very far in my old career. It is when you learn, and it is where you differentiate yourself from the people that just show up to work to collect a paycheck. You build up your personal skills and good management will notice.

>Why can I not find these people that need a solidworks pro?

Are we all talking about the United States here?

I live in an area with a lot of competing office furniture companies, and they all run on Solidworks. I also live in an area with tons of automotive suppliers. Go on monster and just keep looking. Some key words to search would be industrial, design, architectural, civil, automotive, packaging

>Are we all talking about the United States here?
Australia

I think I have to broaden my search to those industries like you mentioned. I've been trying to get into really specific companies.

>What kind of automotive related jobs could I get with this?
anywhere in the aftermarket field, the amount of CNC parts is inmense