/tfg/ - Truckerfag Thread

Big Damn Truck Edition
>Obtaining a CDL: How do?
Community College or a dedicating truck driving school. Do your research and don't get sucked into a "school" that's actually just a meat grinder for a shit company. Do not pay over $5000 for a course that lasts several months.
>How can I into avoidings shit companies?
Here are some decent/good companies:
pastebin.com/Sv0cyWyH
If you don't see the company you're looking at included on this list, lurk moar.

>I could totally go to school but I'd rather be a trucker.
If you think you'll love the lifestyle, maybe. You'd be better off getting a """""real""""" job. You can fall back on trucking at any time, but it is essentially a path of decent money for those that fail at everything else.
You can have good business sense and work ethic and make it big as an owner operator, but you would do even better at any other job.

Obligatory meme section
-----
>You will get fat.
>The only clothing you'll own are pajamas.
>The only reason you get paid well is because you work 70 hours per week.
>The longest relationship you'll get is 15 minutes with a lizard.
>Eating nothing is better than roller dogs.
>You have the most dangerous job in the nation.
>The D.O.T., Police, and Le'dash-uh in receiving hate you, and will harass you every chance they get.
>Other drivers hate you.
>Your job will be obsolete once self-driving trucks become available.
>Your loved ones miss you.
>If you don't change careers you will forever be considered a cuck and a homo. Especially if you cuckbox with another fag driver.
>lol 'murrica

>4 4 T O N N E S
>4
>4
>T
>O
>N
>N
>E
>S
-----
Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/railroad-employees-presumed-dead-fiery-train-crash-official
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably doing better than you. You ok? Gonna need a tow?

>only having to back 3 deep
It's a good day.

Nah, im good now. Scared the shit outta me when it happened. Cops were cool as shit though. No ticket/fine.

>wb i70 in illinois
>cb on am/fm off
>nothing but static on cb
>left lane passing another truck
>check mirrors not clear to move over
>look back in front of me
>brake lights
>scream at my son asleep in passenger seat

HOLY SHIT DEVIN HOLD ON!

>scared the kid awake
>.5 seconds to make decision hit cars in front of me or pull left and hope for the best
>boss is now pissed because of almost 800 dollar winch out
>no damage no secondary accidents no injuries

Fuck this shit. Im in effingham and refusing to move another mile tonight.

You obviously weren't scanning far enough ahead.

Damn I thought you blew a steer this time. Unrelated but here's my giggles for today.

>Red Dodge Ram merges onto the interstate
>Dude hits 60 and holds steady
>70 limit zone, people get mad
>Dude slows, veers onto rumble strip
>Jerks back to lane, speeds up
>Keeps doing this, regularly drops to 50-55
>Hit a hill
>Dude does it again
>Signal left
>Chebby truck bro lets me over
>Get alongside Dodge, he's doing like 45-50
>Blast air horn
>Jerks to life and speeds up
>Dude looks at me like I just spit on him
>Shake my head and pass
Can't tell if he was drunk, tired, or texting, but it doesn't matter - dude was an idiot. Several miles later he merged left and passed me like I was parked. Bet he called Roehl with some bullshit story. Haven't heard from anyone yet though.

He's the guy that bitches and moans all the time how he didn't choose the trucker life, the trucker life chose him. What do you expect?

Yep that's a heart stopper. gotta stay vigilant for that shit

>be in laredo heading to Dallas
>light rain traffic continues at regular pace
>heavy rain traffic continues
>rain turns to snow I slow the fuck down traffic does not.
>watch pickup fishtail from hammer lane to slow boy ditch and eat dirt.
>have to slide into passing lane to avoid ensuing chaos
>tow jockey pulling out guy in median
>thinks low visibility and parking half way over the line is a brilliant idea.
Probably the only time I've used that horn outside of a pre trip. I passed within inches of him still trying to slow down. I pulled off at the next exit and said fuck this I'm done.

Did you read the whole thing?

left lane passing another truck
>check mirrors not clear to move over
>look back in front of me
>brake lights

Seems like it was a lapse of concentration while trying to be safe and make sure he didn't hit the truck he was passing.

Still applies as he didnt have a big enough gap.

It only takes 1 second to look itno mirrors and see.

Fair enough. I found out from the cops there was construction ahead and one lane was closed. There was just bo warning signs up.

>right lane closed ahead
>merge left

They said i wasnt the first and probably wont be the last. Its good though.

>blew a steer tire this time

Thankfuly no. The boss said
>90 days without calling about a blown tire on that truck.

Hey truckerfags I've been lurking in these threads for a while and I have a few questions. I asked my aunt (who used to drive) about some general things about trucking but I'd like to know some more about getting started. I don't have any money or a CDL and looking to do the company sponsored training deal (aware of the contract).

I turn 21 in August. Can I call some companies now, or should I wait?

If I get good news, will they cover lodging, meals and transportation?

I could go to a community college and get my CDL there, but no money and you have to pay upfront to get the SWIDG (or something) grant. What do?

That's the second triple axle box trailer posted here. I don't recall seeing one in rl. They more common out west or what?

There is a company in michigan that uses these. Ive seen a few of them around lansing. Next time i see it ill see if i can get a pic of it.

>triple axle box trailer

Maybe they run
44 T O N N E S
T
O
N
N
E
S

>DEVIN

Either way tou will have to pay for your permit and license(20$permit 40$license) as well as food while at school. Just went to swift didnt pay for anything other than my food while there.

You got to take care of your wife's son.

So do most of your talks start with "tires are fine,but.."now?

What's the word on ELS? Got a buddy talking about signing on there as a Lease/Operator, says its 70% of load pay, $390-450/wk for the lease on a new KW T660 with a Cummins.

Is this something companies do in the US? See these all the time up north, think the term for them is rocky mountain doubles

That's a lot of doritos.

My dad drives for them. There's only about 12,000 lbs of freight on each 53' and they are loaded floor to ceiling, front to back

Yeah out west and on some turnpikes.

Because 3/4's of each bag is air

triples are illegal in some states, maybe most.

They do that on the FL Turnpike and toll roads. McLane runs a lot of those from upstate and there is this lot right off the Sawgrass (toll road) where they will drop them. I see lots of McD's trailers there too.

Rock mountain doubles use a pup trailer. I know that as a turnpike double.

Nobody heard of ELS even?

Must be a nightmare to keep controll

Say what you will about this modern Sodom and Gomorrah but this city has the GOAT bridge in the U.S.

The Rock

Spot the May trailer. Where are you?

Is it true they have to plan their route carefully so as not to get too high in altitude and pop the bags?

Court tomorrow for ticket going 25 over and passing on right will judge be coo

Haha no I've never heard that. They run right over the Salmo Creston pass in BC, as well as through Jasper, Alberta(I believe) which are 2 of the highest mountain passes in Canada

>> :^)

I'm no truckerfag but I work at a very tricky dollar tree with no rear loading area and this awesome black chick driving a Werner truck swings this big ass 53' freightliner in one try when it takes most guys multiple tries. What a crazy profession.

>In the UK, the test is a couple of hours of driving.

A couple of HOURS? For just a regular 4-wheeler license? wow. My drivers license practical test took 15, 20 minutes tops. As best I can recall...

>90ยบ backing out of parking space
>parallel park between two cones behind the building
>right turn from Dept of Licensing parking lot onto 30 MPH arterial with light traffic
>Left turn at signalized intersection into 25 mph residential neighborhood with no traffic.
>drive around the block
>Right turn at stop sign back onto arterial
>Left turn back into DoL parking lot, midblock from suicide lane
>"Ok son, you passed, take this paper inside and get your picture taken."

That was back in the mid 90's. I've never been retested, although I have to pay for a renewal every 5 years. My wife got her first license in Arizona, and that one is still valid - 40 year renewal interval in AZ.

Before you get to the judge you'll have a quick meeting with the prosecutor who will most likely offer reduced tickets and penalties. Any deal offered is probably as good as you're going to get because these people do this shit everyfuckingday and you're not going to beat them due to your inexperience with the game. Barring something like absolute proof that it couldn't have been you because you were somewhere else you will be found guilty.

Yes that's a thing. Cannot exceed like 5k feet. From whatever altitude its currently at I pull kettle chips alot and that's stamped on all the pages all the damned time.

It's also a thing you do with a load of syringes.
Probably anything that's sealed in a soft pack with air (or any gas) inside.

>Multi-stop load
>Trailer preloaded
>Don't scale because tandems are always preset and never overweight
>Get to first stop
>Open doors
>Only half the trailer is loaded

Looks like I'm going back to El Paso for the other half :^)

You are such a fuck up. I hope you become a grand wizard.

If the cop doesn't show for court, you get off as well

>Being this ass ravaged

Stay salty :^)

It's more like pity. I actually feel bad for how miserable your life is.

That's the reason why you see so much morons on your roads, since anyone with half a brain will so easily be allowed to drive.

In Europe, you have to endure 20 hours of being dragged through every trap your instructor can think of before you're even allowed to take the driving test (which can turn into quite a shitshow depending on how sadistic your examiner is).

Mine was half an hour late and in a good mood, so my test was piss easy.
>driving from test center to main road through the city center
>merging on an express road
>turn left on a roundabout
>parking on an empty lot
>turn right on the same fucking roundabout
>leave express road
>drive back to test center
>"Parisian" parking (that's when you should do a neat manoeuvre to parallel park but instead just drive into a spot forward and don't give a shit. We were late)

The girl taking the test right after me on the other hand got served the shittest possible route including residential areas with fucked up priority rules and parking on a school lot on the first day of school (so lots of pedestrian, other traffic, cyclists and shit all around). Most people will eventually make a mistake and get flunked in this situation.

Just because you don't enjoy my life doesn't mean I don't. I'm content with where I'm at right now, and when shit happens, I deal with it.

I take that back. They fucked up on the paper work and put down 41k lbs instead of the 14k lbs that was actually being delivered. Second stop only ordered 2 pallets.

I see them all the time here in the UK. Anything less than that is usually a tiny trailer.

>>Get to first stop
>>Open doors
>>Only half the trailer is loaded
>They fucked up on the paper work

What the fuck, whiney. We can't even blame you for that, much.
Did it not occur to you to check the inside of the trailer against the paperwork, though?

And for my third shitpost in a row, working with drivers fucking sucks.

> Go down to check loading bay
> Bins full
> One literally overflowing
> Nobody put binbags in them
> Go to empty them, huge swathes of paper towel loosely bound together with sticky labels fall out of the binbag I was emptying into
> Every fucking time
> Have to squat down and pick everything up by hand. Thank fuck for protective gloves.
> Hands stink of trash all day
> Cans of energy drink, some half empty, none even slightly crushed
> Paperwork that should be disposed of properly just abandoned
> No longer suitable for shredding due to being stuck to a banana skin
> Someone left a water bottle in a bay
> Can't reach it, leave it there, someone runs it over on the way out
Drivers are the grubbiest fuckers ever, I swear.
But now all three bins have fresh bags in, snugged up tight over the top. It's not even my job to do the ones on the bay, I was just sick of the smell.

> Get to end of day
> Someone drops a bottle of beer
> Have to go change it
> Last dolly going down to the bay
> HAY user CAN YOU GO CHANGE THIS ARMFUL OF CRAP I SPILLED BEER ON
> Go change it
> Stink of beer all the way home
> Hoping like crazy the police don't stop me and make me explain the smell of expensive beer

>leasing a truck
>inheriting problems so you can fix them for the next guy
Just get your own truck like an adult. The first year you have any truck is going to be plagued with breakdowns and repairs. Once you get everything buttoned up you should have learned the truck well enough for it to be smooth sailing until the inframe.

Nope. Never. 70% really sounds like shit compared to 80% at F2F or a 9% dispatch fee with a broker.

They don't call them wiggle wagons for nothing.

We aren't allowed to, trailers are usually preloaded and sealed on the yard. We just pick up and fuck off.

They don't let you check the trailer you're about to haul?
What the fuck.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. We only ever see what the load looks like at our first or final stop.

I don't understand why they use an A-dolly and not a C-dolly. 2 pintle hitches is better than 1 imo

post stories of dumbass truckers, pls

inb4 WhineyQualcommlowclearances.png

Have you gotten on mentor truck yet?

I was thinking more of basketball american or white trash gubment haters

Nah still got orientation then as long as whiney has got his cert i should start with him in a few days

There was my fuck up yesterday

>get part time job to make it through cdl school
>here in GA we get $1600 in grants and college is only $1800....$180 out of my pocket somehow..
>I Wouldnt sign for a yr with a shit company just my opinion.
>Drug and Dot card is $80 out of pocket and youd have to pay for your transport to school and food but if your paying that now it isnt any extra.
> Ive paid maybe $280 so far and graduate within 3 weeks. I have a local job lined up for $170 a load with at leasst 6 loads a week.
> that doesnt pan out ill regional it because my record is spotless.

>I could go to a community college and get my CDL there, but no money and

L O A N
O
A
N

You're getting a CDL to get a job. A bank would be stupid to turn that down.

So I can just waltz into my bank and ask for money? I thought I need previous income to get a loan.

>You can apply for grants through the college and more than likely get them.
> depends on income and
gpa
>who doesn't have $200 saved anyway just saying?

Happens all the time. It's a safe bet for the bank since a good deal of trucking companies offer to take over payments or outright pay off CDL school debt.

Or just go to a company's school and dont worry about it

That's still an option but I literally have $4 in my bank account and no way I'd be able to get food and stuff while at company school.

>signing a contract to work for a shit company
Spoken like a true cpmcuck :^)

Get your shit together. Not having a decent work history is going to severely limit your employment options.

Alright. Thanks for the help guys.

So I was supposed to start driving for Paschall today right? Well last week it flooded here in WV and Paschall happened to call during all of it. I asked them to set my start date back a week (July 7th) and they said it was ok. Well today they called and made sure I hadn't drowned. Does that mean they care about me and will probably be a good started company?

As fun as it sounds your going to be on his truck forever running his little dedicated fleet...

That's not all he is going to be running.

It means they expect some return from you and one of them noticed the flooding and went
>hey,user is from there isn't he?
>fuck better make sure we aren't saving a truck for a soggy body.

Can someone suggest a replacement for my roadpro 12v frying pan? It's starting to show its age. Amazon only seems to have the same roadpro or far to big wall plug pans.

Damn.

google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/railroad-employees-presumed-dead-fiery-train-crash-official

I just saw something about this on a news channel, apparently they found 2/3 missing train crew.

Yeah one guy saw it coming and jumped clear, suffered some injuries. The other 3 weren't so lucky. One of those three still isn't accounted for.

Go apply for the loan and tack on a little extra so you can pay for food and extras while you're in school, then just pay the addition of the loan off after your company has paid off the majority.

It might not be the greatest idea, but it's something if you want to get on your feet.

Both of these are not true unless you live in certain specific states.

Back in my retail management days, some of the companies I worked for only accepted sealed loads. The DC/shipper would put a tamper seal on the trailer door latch, we were supposed to reject any load with a broken seal.

It was supposed to keep truckers from stealing shit, but after working at the company for a few months it was painfully obvious that internal theft was rampant and most of it was happening within the DC.

>PTL
About a month ago a PTL driver's 8 year old tard spawn got out of the truck with his equally retarded English pitbull and proceeded to have a 45 minute conversation with me about the struggles of being a 3rd grader on the road while I was trying to tarp a load of shingles at a TA in Sawyer, MI. He thought California was on the toe he'd ridden between PA and IL. I wished him godspeed after he'd been eaten alive by mosquitos because he'd stood in a muddy puddle the whole time and sank about 6" due to his girth.

If you can figure out a captcha, I think you're over qualified.

There will be plenty of time to run cocks in ebay cosplay sitting at docks regardless.

Do you have an inverter? If so, what size? If not, get those shitty 12v lunchbox ovens they sell at every truckstop. Shit lasts forever.

>tfw pulling a van
>company gives me a ream of seals
>punch in seal number on computer
>put it on when I get to receiver
>"break the seal and back into dock ___"
>every
>fucking
>time
Still cracks me up that any time I run a flatbed load for XPO they ask me what my seal number is with my loaded call.

brehs...

>one week from going back to Springfield
>can finally walk again
>in my 4-wheeler
>day cab bro can't pull out into traffic
>traffic moving at like 5 mph no one will let him in
>turn my car so that it blocks both lanes
>wave day cab bro by
>everyone behind me mad as hell
>mfw trolled 4-wheelers today without my KW

You are such a fuck up. Did you not notice how the truck pulled so much easier?

Kek. If I ever drove a 4wheeler I'd do the same.

Tbh, new trucks retard power when they're loaded light. There's no way he could tell since I'm sure they don't have onboard scales on cpmcuck trucks because $150 is much too lavish an expense.

We Freightliner now.

10 months in the 2016 Volvo she's turned 200K and time to finish the lease with another driver, so I grabbed a 2017 Cascadia with 505HP and the DT12 automated manual. Not too bad, at least both drive axles are powered for this winter, gots the new Bridgestone M760 drives, slightly more rolling resistance than the M710, less aggressive tread.

>phone farmer for directions
>no answer
>wait an hour and phone again
>still no answer
all I need to do is pick this up and then I can go home...

>505HP
What a piece of shit.
My Honda gets way more with just a few simple mods

>505hp
>Honda

Pick only one

Would I look like a retard if I did laps around my truck as a form of exercise?

Pick both.

>Civic
>RWD
Probably an LS swap.
>A few simple mods.

>not knowing Lutz's kids civic.
I classify that as simple. Especially because they just built a chassis and set the body over it. All easy shit. Baby's first mod.

A little. But you'd look retarded as a morbidly obese trucker sitting at a truck stop talking shit on the CB about the kid trying to excercise too.

>comparing a truck with high torque x low rpm with a car with no torque and high rpm
Ah, horsepower. The perfect unit for people who like to brag without understanding what the fuck they're talking about

I knew you were trolling as I was typing my last reply. This is all the (You)'s you're getting from me today.
I once saw a guy straight up pull a bench and weights out of his truck, set up on the pavement, and do a few sets right there. That's dedication.

more like an hour, hour and a half at most. Pro-tip, the shitter you are, the longer it takes as they try and give you as many chances as possible to prove you are safe.