E C O B O O S T
C
O
B
O
O
S
T

depends on the application. DOHC makes more power per displacement, but pushrods are so much smaller. It's easy to fit a pushrod V8 with twice the displacement in the same hole that would normally be occupied by a DOHC V6.
Pic related. GM LS2 6.0L V8 next to a Nissan VQ35DE 3.5L V6

If your application is very space limited, a pushrod engine may be better,

>sohc
>mfw

better image.
A Ford 4.9L 302 Windsor on one side, and the 4.6L DOHC Modular engine that replaced it.

DOHC for optimal efficiency and valve control over 9000 RPM.
Pushrod for optimal packaging. Has sufficient valve control up to ~9000RPM in most applications.
SOHC has the packaging size of DOHC, yet without the valve control.

How about when it comes to horse power to weight ratio?

Then it's rotary all the way

aluminum pushrod. There's a reason The LS engines are widely regarded as the best V8 around.

No wonder a 2 seat 350z could weight more than 3200lbs

>The LS engines are widely regarded as the best V8 around.
By niggers and idiots.

>in regards to power/weight and overall size
Lrn 2 read in context
>name a v8 that is more compact and light, more reliable, and has more potential than an LS
>protip-you can't

Chevy 572?

>apex seals

1uz??

Wouldn't the 572 be physically bigger and heavier than any of the smaller LS's? I'm honestly not sure, but common sense tells me yes.

We're simply talking about power to weight here. Longevity was never mentioned.

The 572 is an iron big block monstrosity, so yea. Way heavier than an LS.

But with a lot more potential .

>not a pushrod motor
>not a L4
>doesnt have DEI
>has moving parts in the head
4 chin does it wrong again

I'll just leave this here

Also, according to this chart the 1uz and Ls2 with trannys attached are within 20 lbs of each other, so basically the same. Now, in terms of physical size...Ls wins

But weight is a big factor here. Fuck off with your boat anchor. Fucking Boomers.

A fucking industrial diesel generator or a cruise ship engine has a lot of potential too. You need to take into consideration weight and physical size

SOHC sucks unless it's made by Honda. They've added valve control from the R series (140hp) to the J series (270hp)

They are magicians with that shit

Quad valve pushrod

lego camshafts I built to display to my little brother how valves and camshafts operate

gif. that shit man

flathead

Pushrods a literal shit

You forgot to add a supercharger making boost after the intercooler and a turbo (alternator) sucking in more exhaust before the intercooler.

Also make all the pipes straight so you can straight pipe to the DEI name.

DOHC is the only correct answer

>250 ft/lbs at 8,000 rpm
LEL

Nice Hayabusa V8, m8.

>torque
>relevant

LEL

>cams
BOI

Haha.
Found the 16 year old who took first year auto shop last semester.
Horsepower only gets you across the finish line.
Torque gets you to the line.
Without that torque you'll be stuck with 30 second 0-60 times.
BTW, torque is a measurable number, horsepower is calculated and doesn't actually exist.

Capacitor start Induction run :v

Never heard of the 1UZ-FE. Best V8 for its time. Period.

you're literally retarded

do you know how gears work? because if you did you'd know why your statement is retarded.

You know how electric motors make tons of torque at 0 rpm right?

Wanna know why the car doesn't move until that engine starts actually spinning?

You are aware cars have transmissions right?

They'rw avaipable in aluminium though.

>Implying Multiair isn't 10 times simpler and just as efficient in real use

>Pigfat

Aluminium third gen Hemi.

Also, Fiat, since their SOHC Multiair basically acts as a fully independant DOHC unit.

Apples to oranges. Find a similar bore/stroke ratio pushrod engine of similar exterior displacement, and it'd have more internals displacement and easily more power.

>delicious valve spring tears

>find a similar bore stroke pushrod

there are none, since pushrods are inferior and no one uses them in bikes, other than shitty harleys

> easily more power.
psuhrods make less power than DOHC ur retarded

I pushed my rod into ur mum while she sohced my doch

>implying it matters

my DD has a pushrod I-4.

Retard alert

ECOBOOST isn't pifgat. It weighs as much as a 5.0 engine and is capable of over 600 HP, reliably.

Isn't free valve just Multi-Air for intake and exhaust?

The thing that bothers me with Freevalve is the packaging.
Why the Baldman didn't fit the valve actuators lower, or even better, I'm a V-layout, inside the V? That'd be glorious

No one uses them in performance bikes because their packaging advantage only comes when you apply it to V engines. Sportsbikes are dominated by inlines. All of this, however, does not apply to automobiles.

Pushrod engines of similar exterior displacement, weight and packaging size can get more internal displacement, and thus more power then an equivalent DOHC unit.

>Ur retarded
2/10

The 5.0 isn't exactly a light engine either.

Any given DOHC V6 weighs about as much as a pushrod V8, assuming similar materials and design goals. Add those turbo's to a built aluminium Windsor, and you'll get a similar weight result, with similar packaging - but 600hp would be peanuts. Ford will struggle to make over 600hp using just under 2 bar of boost. Meanwhile, half a decade ago, Saleen made a car that was almost as light (despite not having Ford's engineering and materials department), and produced more horsepower with less than 0.5 bar of boost.

No, where Multiair takes a cam, turns it into a hydraulic 'signal' and modifies it for either power or efficiency (depending on the ECU), Freevalve does not have any valves at all, it just activates the valves directly using electrohydraulics.

Fiat's system can do 90-95% of what Freevalve does in terms of efficiency, without resorting to extremely new techniques. The only advantage Freevalve has is that it can ahieve extremely high ramp speeds.

Your charts fucked. The first two weights I looked at. If an ls1 without Trans is 500 lbs, then how is an ls2 with Trans 509?

>there are no V4 bikes

you are a confirmed retard

that bike looks sexy
do want one with an exhaust

>Pushrod engines of similar exterior displacement, weight and packaging size can get more internal displacement, and thus more power then an equivalent DOHC unit.

how come pushrod harley bikes make less power than OHC V-Twin engines

DOHC, as long as its not from a boxer 4

>DOHC, as long as its not from a boxer 4
Pleb

the boxer 6 was better

>over $60,000 for a flat four

Porsche niggers will defend this

Says the guy who hasn't driven either

stay mad the boxer 6 was better

You're an idiot

t. Flat 6 Porsche owner

so why are you mad if you have the superior engine

unless you have a sub 3.0 liter one of course

in which case u r a tard

Not mad, just sad at how stupid you are

Keep riding your bus

why are you sad if you have the superior flat 6 engine then?

are you a cuck or something?

So by your logic a sub 3 litre air cooled 911 is shit and he'd be a tard for owning one?

>u
>r

Never reproduce

aircooled is pretty shitty 2bh

its 2016

Two Stroke.

>It's now a porsche superiority complex (over other porsche owners) episode.

SOHC
rocker arms are cool, yo

>Modern pushrod V supersports bikes

By being aircooled cruiser engines.

DOHC
O
H
C

friendly reminder

hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-1103-how-to-hot-rod-any-engine/

>Aardema has done SOHC conversions by building custom cam boxes that bolt to an existing overhead-valve motor's heads. On this LS motor, converting from OHV to SOHC configuration was worth 21 hp with an identical cam profile-and the engine happily revs to 7,000 rpm with no valve float.

>same heads
>same valve profile
>extra 21 HP

pushrods a shit

>Any given DOHC V6 weighs about as much as a pushrod V8

The 3.5L EcoBoost engine weighs over 70 pounds less than a superchargered LT4 engine and makes more power. Stock VS stock the EcoBoost is better. Sure if you're aiming for 2000 HP the LT4 is definitely the better option but the EcoBoost engine is still lighter. Which means a lower curb weight for a vehicle.

>All that work
>Just 21hp
Heads aren't identical of course - they might flow differently than the stock LS units, and they might add some sompression ratio. Both of these things could easily explain the 21 hp difference.

Meanwhile, you buy a set of decent heads for an LS, and you can easily get 21hp, with the same cam. For the record, a stock LS can also turn 7000RPM, and it'll be quite a lot wider and heavier with those DIY SOHC heads.

Except the track package 350z weighs 3220lbs fag

The stock 3.5 Ecoboost only makes 350hp. A stock LT4 makes 640-650hp.

Keep in mind the Ecoboost needs more ancilliaries in the form of it's turbo piping and intercooling, which take up way more room than the compact supercharged pushrod setup. All this packaging needs room in the chassis - which weighs a hell of a lot more then just the engine. Add the fact that a turbo DOHC V6 is wider and taller, and you'll end up with a heavier chassis, possibly with a higher CoG too, thanks to those heads sticking up high.

A lower curb weight isn't all about a low engine weight. It's also about chassis design, which for a large part revolves around engine and driveline packaging.

>damage control
sorry, OHC is superior to pushrods and that article proves it
the >muh price is a retarded argument, and its not related to the engineering aspect of the comparions but to economy of scale, and that is completly irrelevant

Had GM not been shitters they would have offered a SOHC LS, since it makes more power

>weight
literally a couple of lbs considering ti doesnt have pushrods, lifters and the fact that it uses a belt instead of a chain

you have been proved wrong with car engines, bike engines and even OHC modifications made to pushrod engines

but feel free stay mad tho

>weigh more then 3200 pounds
>3220 > 3200

>Implying you didn't mean way over 3200
It's okay that your car is slower than a Nissan, you'll never be fast and that's okay user

>the EcoBoost only makes 350 stock
lol no

>post made 20+ hours ago
>implying I'm the same person
My 370z is faster than your bus bench.

>Le smug animu face
Same budget would've gotten you a set of aftermarket heads that would massively outflow the SOHC DIY units.
Same amount of R&D engineering at GM would've resulted in better pushrod heads, and thus more power.

GM actually tried going OHC multivalve for their LS7, and it didn't make significantly more power - not enough to offset the weight and packaging problems. They even tried multivalve pushrod engines, but that was too complicated for too little gain.

>Literally a couple of pounds
Nope. Go weigh them then.

Individual valvetrain components aren't what causes the added mass. They're supposed to be as light as possible to reduce valvetrain inertia. What adds mass is the added head material for bearing a cam and such.

>Belts
>Good
You're delusional.

Quote a horsepower number then. Even at the predicted 600, it's still got less power than the LT4 - despite being the worse engine to package.

The fuck are you talking about I drive a turbo g35

Sure you do.
>bash on Nissan
>drives a Nissan
Bread on turbo.

It's going to have over 700 HP, what are you talking about?

Most magazines are quoting 600 though.

Still, without official confirmation, the stock Ecoboost produces about 350hp.

Nobody is saying 600 HP. They're saying "over 600 HP" which is what Ford is telling them.

whatever happens to those pneumatics and solenoid cams?

i don't think you understand what is being discussed here, budget is irrelevant

> in better pushrod heads, and thus more power.
pushrods head aren't any better than 2 valve SOHC and are inferior to 4 valve DOHC

>it didn't make significantly more power - not enough to offset the weight and packaging problems
thats because GM sucks at everything

>Nope.
yup, several DOHC engines are within 20-30lbs off an LS
the 1UZ weights the same as an ls1, and they have 2 extra camshafts and gears for the cams

LS heads with rockers, valves and springs are 30-ish lbs, a honda b series head, which happens to have DOHC is 45-ish lbs and you still need to add the pushrods, lifters and cam weight to the LS heads

also, no one is discussing if belts are good or not, nice straw grasping

there is nothing wrong with belts tho

it seems like pushrods don't have any weight advantage

go ahead tho, keep being wrong