Bought car and it's manual

>bought car and it's manual
>think because i get global times in dirt rally it is going to be a breeze learning
>took a drive with my dad off the lot
>doesn't seem so bad
>take it to a parking lot
>incoming stalling over and over
>finally am able to get it going
>going pretty badly im shaking shitting my pants
>come up to a major intersection on a major road
>light turns green
>can't get it going
>panic keep stalling stall 5 times in a row
>everyones honking
>i wish i could press ESC and restart
>dad is laughing at me
>after 30 seconds of sitting in this intersection just gun the gas and clutch
>can smell it
>drive of shame back to my house
>take it out again an hour later
>do a lot better only stall twice drive it on a few major roads
>dad teaches me on some hills going up and down do okay
>reversing is fucked
>still scared shitless of hill starts etc

Honestly terrified of my own car now, what are some steps to stop being such a pussy. Scared i grenaded my clutch or engine.

Wow I only stalled about twice when I first started driving a manual.

Get good faggot.

I'm trying

sell it and get an auto dumb frog poster

If you can't figure out how to not stall constantly after a few times, just get an auto.

It's okay man, start-stopping is tough. I had to go to a parking lot at night a few times before I get the hang of it. If you're doing a hill start or going from a red light, apply throttle steadily as you release the clutch even before the biting point. Also, don't do the parking brake hill method. It's okay if you roll back a little, just stomp the gas lol.

Go to a parking lot and pick like 6 spaces to stop and go between making full stops and keeping it in first. Try to go both ways without stalling.

Just relax and take things slow. Try not to get upset or worked up because you stalled it just makes things worse. Also just keep practicing in an empty parking lot, you'll get it eventually.

It takes about 2 hours to learn manual, and 6 months to master.

Just have someone teach it to you, and drive with someone all the time who can give you pointers, and correct your mistakes, otherwise you will never learn.

I stalled a few times when I learned it myself, its okay.

Thanks m8s i guess i will try and get it to a parking lot again or go out with my dad again to get some more time in. Only drove for like an hour and a half yesterday. Biggest problem is the clutch and letting it out slowly for me.

>Biggest problem is the clutch and letting it out slowly for me.

That was the biggest problem for me when I was learning also, just keep practicing dude

Also how bad is stalling the car for it's general health, i have not grinded any gears or anything it's just that clutch work that gets me. I'll keep practicing i guess, making left turns and crossing traffic still scares the shit out of me. Don't want to stall and get blown out.

>being scared
grow the fuck up you little bitch
Don't let the tranny own you. Make the tranny your bitch

>>think because i get global times in dirt rally it is going to be a breeze learning

The way to get better is to put yourself in situations that make you do things you don't want to. i.e. hillstarts and getting going. When your car is off press the clutch, and where it is heaviest is the grab point. Some cars prefer feathering or pulsing the gas where some prefer a steady rpm. Mine prefers the latter in first and prefers the former in reverse. It took me 3 days to really get the hang of it and I learned on an old subaru in the middle of winter on bald all seasons that didn't even match. It's not that hard.

Kill yourself.

Stalling the car doesn't really hurt a whole lot, might wear out your motor mounts some. Riding the clutch does though, or letting the clutch out slowly from a relatively high rpm

Stalling over and over is rough on your starting system though. Lots of repeated load on your battery and starter.

I bought my first manual car by having my dad drive me 3 hours to the dealership and drop me off, bought it, and had to drive home.

Forced me to GIT GUD real quick.

If you're new just do a burnie every time

That's what I did

>vrrm vrrm vrrm
>dump
>skreeeeeech
>wow that guy must be a really skilled racecar driver

jwejejjejejeje

Is it FWD? FWD are the easiest cars to over rev when you're trying to get going and burn the clutch/slip the tires etc. just take it nice and easy and eventually you'll get it. I preferred to drive around my neighborhood late at night by my self to learn so I didn't have to deal with anyone.

Mate just drive it around for a month and you'll be used to it. Driving a manual is a lot of automatic muscle reflexes and you're just starting to learn it. Nobody drives a manual perfectly after a day.
Unless your car is stupid powerful and/or the clutch almost gone, you wont kill your car from stalling it a couple of times. Just dont try to start at 6000rpm, it's also not a bad idea to use the handbrake on hill starts, to give yourself some extra help until you find the sweet-spot on the clutch

G

Yeah it's FWD

Yeah the only way is to drive it around to learn really. Going to just have to do it. If my dad can get in and drive it after not driving one for like a decade it is just a learned skill you keep.

>dad been driving manual for decades then switched to automatic
>end up better than him in a few months
Nigga can't even rev match downshifts

>Slowly release the clutch pedal until you find the biting point(engine starts shaking a bit,or your rpm drops down a bit and the car tries to go forward)
>don't release the clutch past that point or you're going to stall
>apply just a bit of throttle,to keep the car above 1k RPM
>slowly release the clutch further and add more throttle

Works for me no matter if I'm driving a diesel or a petrol.

just stick to automatic you absolute pussy.

>got first manual car
>learn it enough
>friend tells me to come watch him at autocross
>go to a place with a ton of racecars
>it's time to leave for the day, pack up and go
>I'm on a hill, it's the only exit from the stadium
>stall through 5 red light cycles with a ton of racecars behind me
>find out I was in 3rd and not first

I've had worse, op. The embarrassment of stalling comes for every person that learns manual eventually. Just remind yourself that you know one more thing that the person behind you doesnt. I have never seen an manual driver honk at a manual student repeatedly stalling.

Just went around the block and didn't stall any, hung on that bite point when at a dead stop in first. Now to get up shifting a bit better and that clutch control.

>First day learning manual
>Friend drove me to pick up the car I was buying
>97 cavalier
>I get the hang of it
>Stall a bit
>He follows me home
>Get stuck at a light on an incline
>He's behind me
>Light turns green
>He honks instantly to be a cock
>I get spooked
>Lolnotorque
>Didn't apply enough throttle
>Roll back into him
>He's driving a beat up old civic
>He laughs and doesn't give a fuck

Many keks were had that day.

Stalling the car ain't that bad. Clutches are made to be worn. Go to a parking lot and make sure you can consistently shift into first smoothly. Don't worry about other gears too much. When you can do that find a steep incline (make sure nobody is around) and put the park brake up or just your food on the brake in the middle of the incline. make sure you can make the car go forwards without rocking back. Other than that turn the car off and play with the shifter a little bit and make sure you know where each gear is. It's easy and after a few weeks it'll be natural. ignore everyone talking shit, some people need more practice getting used to controlling 3500lb machines. you're not less of a man because you can't do it and shit half of /o doesn't even have a fucking car so you're already cooler than all these guys

when I mean shift into first i mean start the car smoothly. pretend you're trying to impress someone idk just get starts down. shifting gears is the easy part.

>tfw I live in a completely flat city
I'm terrified to ever drive somewhere with hills, I would fuck it up so badly. The closest thing here is just getting up my driveway.

>used to driving turbo diesel
>have to drive a tiny econobox petrol
>stall because these things need loads of gas not to stall
>jerky shifts and no power after shifting because I'm used to changing gears at 2000 RPM
You get used to anything, don't worry.

I prefer to keep the revs a bit higher so I can release the clutch quicker and smoother.

The fact Americans are allowed to go from an auto to manual without any legitimate lessons or a test scares me, I wonder how many people aproach traffic lights and put the car in neutral then brake and other bad practices

>tfw local mall's underground parking is a literal 30ยบ incline

Conner pls

What do I do if there are no inclines

lol people are still buying manuals.

>neutral and brake
That's how you're supposed to do it

Uninstall yourself

Give it 2 weeks. Took me that long before it became automatic for me.

The biggest part is getting the muscle memory of the bite point.

what the fuck kind of retarded driving licence system lets any cunt that learned to drive in an auto permission to drive a manual?

Fuckin' yanks

How many threads are you going to get triggered in? Christ, yurocucks are absolutely ruining this board, every fucking thread is "HURR MURRIFATS"

pls

Fuck off it literally takes one or two hours in a parking lot to understand it and a couple of times in traffic to get used to it.

What the fuck are you talking about? You sound like a quitter.
It's all about practise. Sure, most people get used to the clutch quickly, but some are slow learners. Still, even the biggest retards (50 IQ) can learn manual, even if it takes a month or two.

I think you should come to the car meet on Sunday and we can all watch you stall rolling up? :^)

KKEKEKEKEKEKE

Took me 30 minutes to get good enough to drive on surface roads. Took a few days to get comfortable with it. Took a few more to understand upshifting better. Took a week or two to not stall anymore. Took a week to really get downshifting.

Just get out and drive more.

eurofag is correct though, triggered fellow countryman. In America anyone is allowed to drive a manual.

>It takes the pride out of being able to say you drive a manual.

Europe has better traffic laws in places too. Tickets if you undertake and if youre driving slow in the left lane.

>traffics for being a snail in the left lane
We need this

>I fiddle with dicks so much that holding a phallic symbol came so easy to me
You are not your transmission. You are not the car you drive. You are still a sperg.

Sounds like a good old fashioned panic attack. anytime you're learning something new and you get pressure put on you like being in traffic or getting slammed in a rush it rattle you a bit. Just keep trying, stick to back roads for a bit to figure it out

>I can't help but think of dicks when I see anything remotely phallus shaped
Why are autocucks all closeted homos

>tfw can float gears without using the clutch
>mfw drive trucks and float 10 speeds

git gud

>he honestly thinks floating gears is something difficult enough to brag about