Which would you buy?

I've been working my ass off with a singular goal in mind: buy one of these cars (these are the colors I'd choose as well).

I've never driven a GT-R but I've been in one plenty of times, and while the looks and sound aren't exactly there, the performance is sensational. No I will not be waiting for the 2017 refresh (most likely).

I've never been in or driven the ZR1 but the combination of the sound, supercharged LS9, 6-speed manual, and general badass-ness makes me think this is the dark-horse option (and it is the cheapest to buy and maintain, which is huge).

I drove a 6-speed manual 997 Turbo with custom exhaust for a day, and my god, I never wanted to get out. The sound, the kick of the boost, the classiness of the car in a "motorsport" sense made me instantly realize what every Porsche fan waxes poetic about. Will most likely be the most expensive of the three, to not only buy but maintain as well, which scares me a bit.

So, which would you choose?

I'd go with the 997, but what is your plan to do with this car?

They're all great cars, but if you ask me it'd be the Porsche hands down.

duh

Assuming buying as a DD, the ZR1 or the Porsche. GT-R is too track focused for my taste, not really all that fun as something to drive back and forth to work or burn up B roads. If you lived close enough to track it on a regualr basis though, that's a different story....

If it were actually me, with my money, I'd sub out the GT-R with a C63 AMG Coupe and agonize over those three instead

of the 3, I would own the vette for three logical reasons

>rwd, can skid and shit for fun
>only manual you can get of the three
>most likely to appreciate or hold value

the other reason is it is the mac daddy chevy. the ultimate vette and just a very cool car.

Sorry guys, should've specified: this is a WEEKEND car only.

I'll be driving an econobox or hybrid as a DD to make having one of these that much more special.

Weekend joyrides, probably a trackday once in a blue moon.

I have a BMW 340i right now and while not on the same level as a C63, the cars are just not focused enough for me as sports cars. They are badass DDs, but not in the same stratosphere of performance as these three.

The 997 I drove was a 6-speed manual, so the GT-R is the only one missing that option.

Porsche

no contest for me

911 > ZR1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT-R.

The GT-R's entire purpose is numbers (read: benchracing), it's pigfat, numb and doesn't come in manual. Even the power gets old quickly

if this is the case I still say get the vette. it's a hell of a car. I have driven a few 911s, a few vettes and a GTR and the corvette is just so much angrier.

also 638 hp is badass

Get the 997. The ZR1 is badass from a specs and performance standpoint, but it looks like rice. If you do go with a ZR1, ditch the chrome wheels. I've never driven a gtr so I have nothing to say about it. They're kind of popular where I live so I wouldn't get one simply based on that.

see
I would agree. ZR1 is by far the most involved experience of the three, and the car you could have the most fun with consistently.

>said the person who's never driven one
>inb4 on the spot made up anecdote
>inb4 but reviews told me so

Go to bed Alphonse, nobody likes your meme car

I'm a Porsche fan so id say 911 however the ZR1 was one of my favorite sports-cars of that era. its character seems almost polar opposite of the Porsche.

Easy, I imagine OP wants this thread to remain calm.

I'm surprised by the amount of Porsche love here. I'm just curious--why?

Not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised. Driving down the freeway in the 997, the steering wheel literally vibrates in your hands from the amount of information it communicates.

Thank you!

Quite a tough choice between the 911 and the GT-R, the 911 is a much better place to be. The ZR1 doesn't even deserve to be considered.

Never been in either but I have been in vettes. So I'm biased towards that. But yeah I am gonna go zr1. The car is loud, fast, has style and takes mods fairly well. Plus you can find plenty with low miles as the c7z brought people trying to unload them.

>The ZR1 doesn't even deserve to be considered.

The Corvette is literally the best of the three in every way so I don't see why you're considering the other two.

911 is the best of the three, and also they're actually quite reliable. You'd get more trouble out of a used GTR or ZR1.

If i was wasting that much money on a car id be wasting it on the best car

An LJ? Or an LC?

I think something to consider here is how good of a driver you are, OP. I've only driven a Z06 of that generation, but I know the ZR1 is know for getting very wild and tail happy, which is all well and good on a track or an airstrip, but are you confident in your abilities to handle that safely and have fun on a public road?
I have driven the other two though, and I would pick the 911. The GTR doesn't even feel much like driving a car. You won't get that sports car feel out of it, except when enjoying the speed. It was neat, and it was fun to take it out for a blast around the backroads, but I didn't feel like I was doing much. The 911 is the perfect middle, imo. Communicative steering, a very nice six speed, more than enough power to get in trouble, but not so wild you'd worry about killing yourself. It would be a blast on a track day too, but also would be good if you wanted to take it on a longer trip for a weekend if that's your thing.

an lj gtr xu-1 of course, can get lc's for like 30 grand in mint condition

Not an LC XU-1 you aint.

i didn't even realise there was an lc xu-1

The original car to wear the XU-1 nameplate. The LC had a triple Stromberg 186 where as the LJ had a 202 variant.

You'll find price for price, both LCs and LJs are near on identical.

whats that site?

bluewaffle.net

I bet you can take the GTR and the 992 up a mountain without them overheating. Not so with the Corvette.

Probably the ZR1 because it's honestly the nicest looking, best MPG and mainly isn't turbocharged. Obviously I would pick the N/A 911, but it isn't avaible as a choice, so yeah.

Also Porsche is considered one of the easiest to wrench yourself on the euro premium market, even cheaper than BMWs or better VAGs.

The ZR-1. I've driven 3 of them. That car is bat shit crazy. Absolutely love the power delivery. It hits like a sledge hammer and doesn't stop all the way to 6500 rpm. And Dat supercharger whine.

Is the c63 Amg a viable daily?

>even cheaper than BMWs or better VAGs.
It is VWAG. And why does everyone say VAG? Is it referring to something else? Have I completely misunderstood everything?

No other automobile in the history of mankind has had the amount of engineering that is a Porsche. All that needs to be said.

Volkswagen auto group. Also because vagina

Porsche is a more practical car of the 3. Also sounds better I think.

ZR1 is nice, but really doesn't fall into the same category. ZR1 is a very high strung sports car.

Porsche

corvette offcourse

If the Gtr was a Nismo I'd say that but 997 if its a premium

if you want something that's incredibly reliable and retains its value and turns heads, go for the Porsche

if you want something with a transmission that's so shit even Nissan won't offer it as a certified preown, go for the gtr

Im not looking for practicality, this is a weekend car.

Great point. I'd put myself as intermediate. I can handle high-powered cars but I need some time to acclimate to them. I think a better insight would be my driving style, which errs on the safe side with some recklessness sprinkled in. The bottom line is I respect cars so I'm not too worried about killing myself.

This sounds fantastic. I think I'm going to have to drive a ZR1--how, I'm not sure.

reminder

If this is strictly a weekend car the ZR1 is gonna be the fastest and most exciting. I got to detail one of those things and took it out for a quick pull and that thing is absurdly fast. Not only do you get the rumble of a 6.2l engine, but you've got the supercharger whine on top of it. It's almost kind of scary.

The GTR is much more tame and easy to drive at its limits. The AWD system they've got is really interesting. Two drive-shafts, from the front engine to the rear axle and then up to the front axle. Rear is powered normally, and power goes to the front to help stabilize. Plays all kinds of magical tricks to keep steady in corners. The TT V6 sounds nothing like the 'Vette.

I've never driven a 911 Turbo.