Is the dr650 an acceptable first motorcycle?

Is the dr650 an acceptable first motorcycle?

It could be

Meaning? I'm 6'3" 250lbs I want something with a little more grunt than a 250 and something that I can wrench on if needed

sure why not

Just checking. Any mods I should look into down the road? General dual-sport and sumo thread now I guess?

There are some mods you can do for more power if you want it, but other than that you could get a /comfy/ seat.

I would ride the bike for at least a few months before you begin modding anything. you'll know what you need.

Not worried about power. I want to go long distances without it looking like and adv tourer.

Looks fun as hell. I was late into the dual sport bikes, got to appreciate them after having an adventure touring bike. The riding position gives you great control & the suspension on it is fun even if you never hit dirt.

I'd be looking into adv bikes since I morning a motorcycle in lieu of a car but they're too utilitarian. Seriously looks like a retarded dolphin. Fine bikes but too refined

I had a Caponord first (piece of shit) have a Tenere now (much better). Was looking at pic related, but adv tourers are just so great for shitty roads & weather.

Upgrading from a bicycle on a bar back's budget is pretty great for riding in the rain too, attitude is helpful right?

So is it a bad idea to buy a 3/4 helmet? There's like a solid 100 dollar leap to a full face and I live in Louisiana so I'm worried about heatstroke

>all the 250 dual sports are getting new models
>the 650's are all ancient shit
I mean I get that's the KLR's thing, but the DR and XR really bum me out.

I would vote against it just for the reason of crashing, I wiped wearing one as a teenager and it bent my nose pretty good and got a big scar on my lip that changed color with the weather making me a hit with the ladies in High School. As long as you don't eat it like I did you should be fine. You get pretty good vented helmets, but of course the ones with really good vents cost an arm & a leg. Dual Sport helmets look nice, mine's backordered so I don't know 1st hand yet.

id on bike?

Yes, definitely.
Not sarcasm btw.

>tfw already have bike big and want a small bike for giggles

idk - custom Suzuki I tihnk

I hear tdub 200s are fun.

That's what makes it attractive to me, it's robust. I wish I could have a kick start on a newer one desu

Ask yourself this.

"Do I want my chin ground off and my lower skull all kinds of fucked up and require total reconstruction and a false jaw, not to mention the months spent in hospital recovering and the plastic surgery required to make me look somewhat human again?"

If the answer's yes then by all means go ahead and buy a half or three quarter helmet.

>inb4 don't crash

Good fucking luck with that.

just get one

Only i fuckt ur mum, fagget!

also thinking about getting a first bike. the main reason I want one is low cost and high mpg, I don't particularly give a shit about going fast. The only qualifier I really have is a diamond hard on for dirt bikes but no interest in any real off-roading but other than that I'm not really fussed about looks. any recomendations or things to look out for when buying second hand would be apreciated.

Great starter bike, I have one for tooling around on and offroad.
As a proper touring bike, not so great but it's a good learner before you jump to a 500lb adv bike.
As for mods get a windscreen, bashplate and aluminum bar guards.
What area you riding in?

Buy a good full face lid, dirt bike helmets work fine if you can deal with the airfoil when you try to turn your head at speed.
I have a fly f2 and an Arai xd4 both are great on the street for what they are
A cheap option is a fly trekker and they breathe good so you won't slow roast.

Looks like a bastardized s50 of whatever the 650 cruiseresque thing they make is.

Drz400, dr350, dr650, xt350, xr650l and so on are good choices for a ds bike that will just work as with any vehicle, cold start it, listen to it, look for weird leaks and noises, make sure it all works smooth and so on

SUSPENSION
/SUSPENSION/
>SUSPENSION

Got one and it's saggy as fuck.
Fucking awesome bike though, but for your weight, you really need to drop some springs in the front, and replace the rear shock spring.

>Any mods I should look into down the road?
go to thumpertalk.com

>re-jet carbs
>air-box mod
>header pipe / exhaust pipe upgrade
>Tukey baster coolant overflow mod
>aftermarket seat
>tail piece remover / tail lights mod
>DOT knobbies
>tune the suspension for your weight, riding style and riding environment

DRZ400s reporting in-

confirmed for best in class Urban Assault Vehicle

>coolant overflow
>coolant
K bud

Meme delusion

Every time i find the right small bike. Its got no title.
Every. Fucking. Time.

>Hardcore memes
Wr450 destroys the drz

thanks for the suggestions

you're a special kind of retard aren't you?

>my dad vs. yours meme

Southwest Louisiana, Calcasieu Parish if your interested