I remember hearing that

there are two types of s2000s. From what I remember one had a higher rev limit than the other.

I am considering this as my next car as my Acura 2001 cls type s 3.2 now has some work that needs to be done.

Wanted to rice up the Acura but I am told parts are sort of hard to find...

What should I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

outdoorhub.com/stories/2012/03/14/the-200000-mile-sportbike/
s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-drivetrain/2424-ap1-vs-ap2-gear-ratio.html#post13304
z06vette.com/forums/f110/c5-coupe-gear-ratio-111216/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AP1 and AP2

now google them

AP1 = Higher rev limiter and more "raw"
AP2 = Lower rev limiter which doesn't matter if you're not a boyracer considering the car is better in almost every way.

>AP2 is better

good meme

boyracer? haha.....

AP1 Japanese version is better, high rev and high compression

>more torque
>same horsepower

>worse

from what i can tell, from what i am reading now is that the ap1 is really more racy.

the ap1 is more for people who dont want to shift as many gears if they get into a race.

seems an ap2 master is into shifting gears more... ?

AP2 is actually made thinking in American roads where high revs are a nuisance to the engine, only real advantage is the drivetrain and probably the gearbox, but the engine in the AP1 is superior imo

from what i am reading, it seems like the ap1 is less reliable.

it says the clutch and transmission case are improved...

I would choose the AP2 if it was more of a commuter than a racer desu

Pretty sure the AP2's body is better braced than the AP1

It is

Obvious solution is an AP2 with a JDM tyte AP1 engine

It doesn't rev as high, so not as fun. Worse.

>implying you'll notice 200 rpm

So why don't you just get a 250cc 4cyl bike that revs to 19k if that's all that matters?

Wasn't a big issue with the AP1 that you had to shift in order? Like you couldn't downshift from 4th gear to 2nd gear or 1st gear to 3rd gear

the torque doesn't magically make it better
it's that it makes more torque at lower rpm, which means more horsepower at lower rpm.

>tfw no Honda CRB250RR

it's about 1000 more RPM. It also has a larger VTEC powerband as a result.

AP1 are 2 L
AP2 are 2.2 L because americains couldn't drive the other since it has no torque at low rpms

Yeah, that normally happens over time with a car model. Too bad those improvements weren't also applied to the AP1 engine.

>rpm
>fun

rpm is fun as fuck if it doesn't end at 5000 rpm like in your pushrod shit motor

>having torque on the higher end
>jap engineering

Not really, if you ever drive a car with low end power you'll understand

are you saying it's not fun, or that it's still fun even when your engine doesn't rev high?

Engines with high redlines sacrifice low end power. If you have next to no power under 7k RPM in a street car you almost never will spend any time in the power band unless you are a boyracer that's had the car for a week.

why do boyracers start short shifting after a week?

when I have fun in my car on the street, I do it on a back road and stay in the powerband as much as possible. I don't really care about making lots of power at low RPMs in traffic because driving in traffic is always shit and I avoid it as much as possible.

How many fast cars do you see on the street? How many of them have you heard being driven near the redline? 1% of them? People grow out of driving like that pretty quickly, not to mention it draws attention from police.

low rpm power is good for three things

- making driving in traffic a bit less annoying
- for people who can't downshift for turns
- for launching

Where do people come up with nonsense like this?

What else is it good for

What are you talking about? Why are you trying to differentiate between "low end power" and "high end power" as if they have some different magic quality? The power goes to the ground either way. Spinning an engine faster causes exponentially more wear and heat, the slower an engine has to spin to make the same amount of power the better. Nobody has EVER driven a car and thought "man I wish the power came on later."

> Spinning an engine faster causes exponentially more wear and heat
no it doesn't lol

And having a fat engine that can't spin fast probably means it's heavy, big, and sucks down more fuel than a smaller engine.

Aside from the 500rpm redline difference, AP1 has a clutch/transmission fault which is prone to failure.
AP2 softens the shift.
Ypu should get a c5z is what you should do.

Do you not know what friction is? Do you not know how an internal combustion engine works?

I was wondering when the
>muh hp/l
would emerge. I thought we were talking about driving quality, how many times are you going to move the goalposts before you feel you've adequately saved face from your initial retarded statement?

>initial retarded statement?
My initial statement was that revving to redline can be fun. Disagreeing with that is retarded.

>drive "shit" pushrod aluminum 5.7l LS1
>redline is 6000, but power starts as soon as the car is moving. just 4000 rpm will make honda fags think its a drag car. pulls like a freight train

>also have glorious Honda D-Series 1.5l D15b6 ef hatch
>redline is 5000 rpm. torque is almost non-existent

why does my 1.5l honda redline so low if it has glorious single-over cam

no one cares about your shitboxes user

>tfw make 350 ft-lb N/A at the rear wheels

War, huh, yeah. What is it good for?

>no one has tought "man I wish the car didn't run out of breath after 5k rpm"

yeah, plenty of people do, even pushrod fags

sohc typically has a lower redline than dohc, also it's a econobox motor.

no real answers i guess?

>EF hatch and LS1 T/A

eat shit no car

>Both shitboxes slower than a fucking 650 bike

again, no one cares about your shitboxes user

>sohc typically has a lower redline than dohc

but we're comparing SOHC and pushrod OHV

>its an econobox motor

>implying a GM LS V8 isn't just a truck engine

a stock 5.3l silverado can rev to 6k, and it is literally designed for low-end pulling

>not having big displacement and high RPM
>tfw no ls stroker

> but we're comparing SOHC and pushrod OHV
you mean you were?

woah this guy is actually fucking retarded

You can rev any engine to redline, what are you trying to say?

Having low end power doesn't mean you don't have high end power.

You guys have to realize, it's very easy to tell you've never driven either a genuinely fast high revving small displacement car or a big displacement car with a wide powerband starting low in the RPM range. Your "arguments" make 0 sense because you are talking about things that you don't understand.

> I've driven more cars than you so I'm right
well you haven't, and you're not.

do you use your trip simply so people can remember how much of a fag you are?

>Having low end power doesn't mean you don't have high end power.

yeah, thats basically what it means, an ICE is configured to make power at an specific portion of the powerband

for example while LS engines can rev up to 7k, they peak at 5k rpm

even sportbike engines peak way before redline and they make no power at "low RPM"

what you are talking about, "low and high" end power is just a retarded way of saying an engine is designed to deliver power at certain RPM level

both the LS engine and the F series have pretty linear powerbands, you feel the s2000 makes no power at "low rpm" simply because its a smaller engine, not because " it doesn't make any power at low rpm"

stop being a retard

lol, of course it does...
The more you rev your engine, the less it'll last.
Why do you think diesel engines last a lot more than petrol ones?

> exponentially
is what i was laughing at

because diesel a shit and you cannot rev them high because of the way the fuel burns?

friction isn't that simple tripfag, a bigger engine spinning at a certain RPM will create the same heat and inertia than a smaller engine spinning at higher RPM

I have a 2003 ap1, if you get an ap1 get a 02 or 03. If you want 2 cupholders get an ap2. If you have a lot money get a CR edition. You will make youre money back.

>I've driven more cars than you
Who said that? I said I can tell you haven't driven cars relevant to the conversation. You being a porter at a Hyundai dealership doesn't have any impact on your knowledge of powerbands in street cars.

Why are the goalposts moving every post? What does your post have to say regarding "a higher redline is more fun"
or "low RPM power is only good for making driving in traffic less annoying"
>say dumb shit
>uh oh someone called me out
>I'll just talk about something else
Next it will be "that was another user"
Pick one argument and try to support it.

When you have all the torques available low down and all the power available a 1k below the redline you don't really need to rev to 5000 :)

>friction isn't that simple tripfag, a bigger engine spinning at a certain RPM will create the same heat and inertia than a smaller engine spinning at higher RPM
Gee... No shit. Maybe a bigger engine will endure more heat and friction than a smaller one. Have you thought about that?

there are multiple anons posting
but you are pretty retarded and can't read.

you only need a big engine if you're
1: afraid of revving
or
2: can't heel-toe

prove me wrong

no one is moving the goalposts dumbass, that was my first post
>tripfag so dumb he cannot comprehend multiple people are making fun of him

im pointing out that you are a retard for using the "no power down low" argument, because both an s2000 and a trans am make plenty of power low down, the s2000 simply makes less because it is a smaller engine

>you don't really need to rev to 5000 :)
there is no reason to rev a fiat that high considering it will break

>Maybe a bigger engine will endure more heat and friction than a smaller one.
lol no, its literally the opposite

>That wasn't me, I just dropped into the thread to say "you're dumb tripfag" and "muh hp/l"
Ahh, in that case now I can tell you are really intelligent, informed, and have lots of experience with fast cars of various displacements and power bands.

>damage control

kek, typical cuck move

you are a retard for using the "no power down low" argument, deal with it

go ahead, kee digging your hole deeper

tb.h this has been one of the best distractions at work for a while

>conversation happening in thread
>see a tripfag post in reply to someone else
>can't withhold your excitement when you think you have found an opportunity where you are right about something if you take it out of context
>you aren't
>get told
>uhhhh dumb tripfag cuck kek damage control GTR hey guys am I doing it right? Am I fitting in?
Who is digging the hole?

im not the one who got outed as a retard for using le buzzwords, thats you

you said something dumb because you are a dumb person and got corrected, now deal with it

Christ just shut the fuck up already. You and your little argument buddy should just meet up and suck each other's cocks instead of shitting up this board.

>there is no reason to rev a fiat that high considering it will break
Your vtack will probably break sooner.

>lol no, its literally the opposite
Not really, but whatever.

rip user

he's afraid of going to Veeky Forums meets

>implying i drive a honda
top kek this fiatfag actually thinks fiat is reliable

>Not really
yup, which is why a sportbike engine can rev to 18k and a truck engine can't, but go ahead, keep proving you are dumb

which engine lasts longer?

the one that was correctly designed, assembled and properly maintaned

assuming they both were

then both are going to las equally as long

what kind of dumb question this is user

>uh oh no amount of mental gymnastics are working
>better just declare myself the winner of an internet argument

I've been to Veeky Forums meets. Am I going to go to a Nor Cal meet so CVPI or a 16 year old in a Saturn can spin into my car? No, but track/autox meets are cool.

>pls pls let me win
lol I don't think so tripfag

why dont you try to back up your retarded claims that an s2000 "makes no power down low" instead of throwing a tantrum like a 12 year dol?

>a truck engine lasts as long as a superbike engine
Nope

>noturnsLOL

yup

outdoorhub.com/stories/2012/03/14/the-200000-mile-sportbike/

> Nit picking

truck engines can last 10 times that.

Not the target of your ramblings, but do you actually believe that the specific output of heat and loss of kinetic energy due to friction solely dictates the Safe Operating Speed of an engine? That the only difference in Operating Speed between a very high speed four cycle petroleum engine and a high speed four or two cycle commercial diesel engine is caused solely by friction?

And honestly here, do you actually believe that a unit with ten to thirty-fold the surface area of moving mating surfaces will have less loss due to friction of mating surfaces? Have you ever asked yourself why your car engine requires one to two hundred square inches of radiating area with around a thousand litres an hour of Fresh Water flow compared with a thousand or more square inches of radiating area and two or three hundred litres a minute of flow for a larger displacement engine of lower specific output power than your car?

This is some pretty silly shit.

And for the poster saying a single motorbike lasting 200,000 miles can be compared with the expected duration of 800,000 to 1200000 Km expected of a prime mover before in-frame rebuild, you are completely and utterly beyond hope.

>it makes no power because I am a dumbass that doesn't understand engines with 2 valve profiles

top fucking kek, that is a pretty linear powerband

pic related, an LS engine with cam phasing, notice the torque dip at the middle?

its a common ocurrence with variable valve engines

now go ahead, keep proving you are a retard

What exactly is your argument? An S2000 makes 70hp at 3000RPM. The LS in your dynograph makes 250hp at 3000RPM. Do you not understand how the two would behave differently in a street car? Wait, let me guess, you are actually going to say something about hp/l as if it was relevant to anything or anybody. Here it comes...

gad dam, only 130hp @ 6k rpm?
That's pathetic Honda...

saturn is always in the back so its fun for everyone else to watch

Daily reminder that V6's are better than V8's.

>but do you actually believe that the specific output of heat and loss of kinetic energy due to friction solely dictates the Safe Operating Speed of an engine?
in what world do you live in that it isn't the major reason?

>That the only difference in Operating Speed between a very high speed four cycle petroleum engine and a high speed four or two cycle commercial diesel engine is caused solely by friction?
what, did you even read the thread, the reason diesel rev slower is because of the fuel, as it was previously stated

also, you are completly igonring the fact that a diesel truck engines need a lot more radiation surface area is due to the fact that they usually operate at the same engine speeds for hours straight, unlike car engines

>im a retard who got proved wrong so im going to pretend a major argument isn't valid

the argument about how they are going to behave in a street car is irrelevant due to the fact that cars have gearing

again, the s2000 makes plenty of power, only a retard like you would say it doesn't because a bigger engine makes more power

> hyperbole makes my argument stronger

revving your engine is bad so i got a v8

>this engine makes no power outside of the range it was designed to make power, it's shit!!

its like you have the downs

>the argument about how they are going to behave in a street car is irrelevant due to the fact that cars have gearing

So you didn't read the thread, or you just chose to ignore the rest of the posts where this convo stemmed out of in hopes of you being right about something?
Nobody drives around at 8k RPM all the time on the street, period.

The real world.

The reason a diesel cannot turn the same Safe Operating Speed as a smaller displacement petroleum engine is due to;

The flame propagation of diesel fuel
The static and dynamic mass of the Rotating Assembly
The Indicated Mean Effective Pressure above the piston crown during the compression cycle
The mass of the Valvetrain and actuating ancillaries that will not operate quickly to begin with, let alone without failure or loss of control of the valve
The length of the stroke of the piston

These factors are then influenced by the coefficient of friction.

You do not understand the difference between a radiator and a heat sink, obviously. Further, what happens on a long highway drive in your shitbox? Is it not operating at a constant RPM for hours straight? Does the laws of physics change to suit the situation, much like your recall of knowledge? Your reasoning is blatantly incorrect.

Try again for double points?

>my feeble engine need to rev to 6k just to move the car, it's not shit!!

I can do what you do, but i'm better at it.

> Nobody drives around at 8k RPM all the time on the street, period.

because on most streets that's illegal in a s2000 unless you're in first

>retarded tripfag still doesn't understand what is being discussed
>retarded tripfag now tries to understand gearing

top kek

engines with "high redlines" don't sacrifice low end power, a 8k redline isn't a "high redline" just because another, bigger engine redlines at 6k

what you posted here is fucking stupid and proves you don't understand what is being discussed here

different engines are designed with different redlines, an s2000 makes more than enough power at low rpm to drive on the stree comfortably

here retard, read about the differences in gear ratios, if cars had a 1.1 gear ratio your retarded tanturm would make sense, but they don't

s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-drivetrain/2424-ap1-vs-ap2-gear-ratio.html#post13304
z06vette.com/forums/f110/c5-coupe-gear-ratio-111216/

if you actually belive you have to drive an s2000 at 8k rpm on second gear its because you are stupid, which you are because its what you are sperging about

go ahead, start posting about how evil anons are hurting your feelings again