/HyunG/

How much difference will I actually notice with a cold air intake?

I drive a 2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatch 2.0L
My goal is for is for it to be more enjoyable to drive... Passing is kind of a chore.
I love everything else about except the dull drive.
Also, I still want it to last over 200k miles.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm new to this, and this is my first car. I don't want to buy anything different. Want to make this Elantra the best thing it can be.

Also, Hyundai General??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=inPcN55Osmo
full-race.com/store/ecoboost/2011-2014-ford-f-150-freakoboost-forward-facing-3-cold-air-intake.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover
aptuned.com/blog/coilovers-vs-springs-what-are-coilovers-and-whats-better.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no performance gain on that vehicle, but it will sound better.
if you want it to last forever and ever i recomend staying with the factory airbox and routine maintenance

If you want a fun car, sell it and buy a fun car. You already hate it, just admit it

Is there really no way to improve it though?

It would be fun and rewarding being able to feel a difference from the work I put into it. I'm just not sure what work is truly worth doing.

Most cars usually lose power with an airbox/intake delete.

It's usually there for more than just keeping intake quiet.

cai are only effective if your stock intake is a restriction. some engineers design stock boxes pretty well. test it out if you wish. it entirely depends on the engine and bay layout.

And it's almost never your airbox is a restriction.
You'll find removing your pressurised airbox for an ope air pod is going to be doing absolutely nothing to aid a naturally aspirated engine.
And if you find attaching autozone tier rice mods "rewarding work put into" your car, then you're probably underage.

God you are a prick

What about replacing the throttle body?
Or a adding strut bar for improved handling?

Thanks for the help all.

ok so cars are like toys

lets use this example

you have a toy car. how do you make your little car beat another's car? they have different engines, different drive trains, etc.

the #1 way to make an improvement on a car is to literally drive a different car.

the only other things you do will literally and probably only affect sound, and if anything create a negative effect because most car manufacturers actually put their stock air intake at a really good place. theres some hit or miss ones, but typically speaking its in a fantastic spot

tl;dr buy a different car because nothing you do will make a difference short of an engine swap

It was designed to be a boring commuter car. Unless you're willing to put real work and money into it, that's all it's going to be.

I doubt the aftermarket intake will do much one way or another. Will make your engine bay look kewl when you pop the hood. I bet you'll proudly list it on craigslist as one of the many things you've done and then try to get $1000 more for it than it's worth.

If you're going to do ricey shit, here's your guide:

youtube.com/watch?v=inPcN55Osmo

Nothing you do to your Hyundai will make it stop being one unless you're willing to gut it and put dumb amounts of time and money into it.

It's just not a good base to make it not shit because it's an entry level commuter sedan for moving families, not ricer passing or takeoffs.

The amount you will likely have to spend to improve it to any decent degree will be more valuable than the car or the cash lost in selling it and buying a fun car.

Put some coil overs on it
You will both see and feel a difference
Generally the only way to improve a gutless econobox without adding forced induction is to do handling mods.

Coilovers
Good tires
Etc.

>How much difference will I actually notice with a cold air intake?

You also need to understand the purpose of your driving that car. Is it to race? Is it for DD? Is it to hoon (difficult in elantra) until it wears out and then you get another? If you want to keep the Hundai Elantra for 200K miles, then that means taking care of the engine because koreans are notorious for doing just enough to satisfy the letter of the law because overbuilding is a waste of resources to them. An expert could drift a Hyundai Elanta, but I bet over time its cheap hyundai type chassis will be damaged. If you're going to put stress on a car, do it with a car that was overbuilt and has enough "extra" to lose thru abuse but still keep running.

Note that naming an air intake to be "cold air intake" doesn't actually make the ambient air any colder. The coldest air is external air at the top outside front edge of the car. Obviously, air heated by the engine is warmer. Obviously air taken from the bottom of the car is warmer on a summer day due to the pavement being heated by the sun. The hot air rises up from the pavement. That hot air is then sucked up by spinning tires in the wheel well, thus adding more heat due to friction (it certainly doesn't cool down).

>Also, I still want it to last over 200k miles.
The mod or the engine? Remember that these types of low restriction filters have a higher chance of letting the ultra-fine particles of silica through. This means that engines using these types of filters statistically have more damage from silica than engines using higher restriction filters in combination with an airbox chamger to reduce fine silica.

Please consider how this renowned mod shop constructed and located its cold air intake high up at the front of the car.

full-race.com/store/ecoboost/2011-2014-ford-f-150-freakoboost-forward-facing-3-cold-air-intake.html

Everyone in here hating on OP as if they weren't just like him at some point. Didn't we all start with a civic/cold air intake? Or have you faggots been doing monster 900 hp builds since the first time you picked up a wrench?

I say just do it OP, and see what you learn from it. I would say you're not going to notice anything other than the sound.

Replacing the throttle body with something larger is going to be expensive and probably not worth much in gains.

If you're looking for more passing power, you're not going to get it from anything short of an engine swap sorry to say. Maintain it well and possibly think about trading it in for something with more torque.

this is good advice

Cold air mod won't really make a real performance difference to your passengers other than looks when you open the hood. What impresses passengers the most without costing you a fortune is to get suitable tires such as summer tires for the summer season. You can then whip the passengers around some turns.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

aptuned.com/blog/coilovers-vs-springs-what-are-coilovers-and-whats-better.html

>Want to make this Elantra the best thing it can be.

Removing the catalytic converter will increase power quite a bit. But that also means the power band will be moved upwards. But if you want to remain street legal, then you could consider getting a high-flow-rate catalytic converter replacement.

This. I put a custom cold air intake into my mazda2, custom as in made specifically for the 2, and felt more power and torque as well as a better exhaust note.

I don't know why everybody in this thread is bringing up the rare case of CAI's being just as restrictive as the factory airbox, that probably applies to those one size fits all k&n intakes you see at autozone

>Is there really no way to improve it though?

Improvement categories:
a. interior design changes
b. fitment
c. engine horsepower (EX: your cold air intake)
d. engine longevity
e. handling
f. comfort
g. interior environment
h. driving experience
i. Appearance

Don't limit yourself to one improvement category. Write down a few not too large changes for each category regardless of expense. You will then see if you can do them or not or tone down that specific item and then see if you can do the toned-down item.

Improvements you can do easily would be to switch from your conventional oil to full synthetic extended performance versions. This is not extended mileage oil but extended performance oil.