Hey guys...

Hey guys, I'm a car scrub and I've been researching for 8 hours on cars and I still don't understand anything I'm reading. I need your help.

My first and current car is a 2003 Ford Focus which I love, so I was thinking of just getting a 2016 model, but I heard the new transmissions or automatics or something are shit in the new models. Is this true?

What are the best 2016 hatchbacks under 25k?

I own a 2016 focus base model autotragic and have no issues for the 50k I've put on it already

In the USA literally the only hot hatches I can even think of in that price range that are worth considering will be the Golf GTI or Fiesta ST. Although I feel like I must be forgetting one.

If you're willing to buy an older model year instead, golf R or the previous gen WRX hatches (2011-2014) would be in your budget.

automatic in the focus was pretty awful. had one as a rental and couldn't stand it, slow shifts and the gearbox literally seemed confused all the time

What are you saying then?

>best 2016 Hatchback
FiST

Smart fortwo

Explain.

What about the 2016 Focus manuals?

When the MK3 debuted the powershift auto(DCT) transmission was tuned to drive like an automatic. But trying to make a manual feel like an automatic lead to problems with low speed shuddering and they also had problems with failing seals IIRC. The MTX-75 used in the manual transmission has been used since the MK1 and is known quantity. I had a '15 or '16 Focus rental earlier this year and you can tell the transmission has been reprogrammed, very little to no shuddering at low speed and decently quick shifts. But I would still get the manual version, it's faster than the auto and more reliable.

The automatic is some kinds of comuterized manual transmission or something it's terrible

Get the manual

So the manual is fine?

Yes, see

>Although I feel like I must be forgetting one.
Chevy Sonic RS Turbo

The Mazda3's manual is good too (so's the automatic - it's a normal 6-speed auto, not one of the strange new transmissions that have been having reliability issues). I'd definitely test drive it on the same day as the Focus and compare the two. There's no Mazda equivalent to the Focus ST. Comparing the non-ST higher-end models, the Mazda has a nice interior (doesn't feel like being in a kaleidoscope) but the road noise is bad on rough roads.

The Golf is less fun and less reliable than both, but more comfortable. Tiny hatch space.

Those are the good hatches right now. When the Civic 5-door comes out this fall, it'll probably be better than all of them except less sporty than the Focus and Mazda, and I don't like its infotainment system. Other than that, I'd say its weaknesses are less pronounced than the other cars'.

That's more of a lukewarm hatch. It's slower than a Focus SE 5spd.

Agree here bought the Mazda 3 touring hatch 4 months ago and love the car so far. Got the preferred pkg and extended warranty and was out the door at 20k. Manual is great in the car and ride is comfy. Pic related

Mazda 3
Ford Focus
Maybe Ford Fiesta or Mazda 2
always look at the hatch models, you will prefer their interior space. If you know how to/want to learn manual, buy it. Don't recommend if you do a ton of city driving though.

Just get a fiST

Interior as well

Great choices, I picked mine because fit and finish honestly I wanted something different and I've had good luck with my other 2 Mazda shitboxes. OP just make sure to test drive everything you and learn the manual if you can, it's a little annoying in traffic and city but makes up for it in the overall joy of the car.

Is there no Focus RS in america?

the new one only, this is the first time they've been in dealers I believe

The bad automatics are in the pre-facelift models i.e. up until 2013, I own one. You should get a manual anyway though unless you live in like LA or some shit