The new Mercedes-Benz GLT pickup

The new Mercedes-Benz GLT pickup.

Hecho en Mexico :^)

carscoops.com/2016/06/mercedes-spied-testing-2018-glt-pickup.html

Mexico has been making cars forever. Most of the factory work is done by robots anyways.

That said
>based on a Renault-Nissan
No thx

>Mexican robots taking American jobs

This is outrage. #trump2016

looks exactly like the 2016 Nissan Frontier with a Benz nose.

meh.

Kinda looks like Renault Alaskan.

Because it is a Renault Alaskan

>tfw in Alaska
>tfw no Renault Alaskan

They're all the same truck made in the same factory in Spicland. Only the interiors and fascias are different.

Literally nothing wrong with it being based on a Nissan light commercial.
Having a Renault diesel however, time will tell how longevity measures up.

I'm an Amerifat and have no experience with diesels besides Cummins and Duramax. Are Renault diesels bad or something?

The Renault diesels I've had anything to do with seem to trade off longevity for fuel economy and performance figures, which is usually with small displacement and high turbo pressures.
It's a generalized criticism, but so far they've been pretty consistent.

I think my Duramax has done a decent job at both.

That said, if someone is buying a truck fuel economy shouldn't be a top priority.

Every small diesel engine runs at high turbo pressures (1.45 bar or more).

>Duramax
Hell yeah. Either the Isuzu developed 6.6 or the VM Motori developed 2.8 are fantastic motors for their given task.
While I agree that fuel economy shouldn't be top priority, I still believe that fuel economy is very important for a pickup. After all, if it's a business vehicle, lower running costs over the service life make a huge difference. Or if it's a recreational vehicle, range is very important.
But real world economy IMO is a little different and a bit more important that arbitrary numbers on paper the smaller more refined achieve.
Well aware. Fine for passenger vehicles, but detrimental for duty cycle. It's not just European diesels running such high pressures, and not necessarily the peak pressure that's the problem, but requiring turbo pressure constantly under any load as you have a motor that's too small to pull under it's own steam.

>Hecho en México

*tips sombrero*

That front looks positively hideous.

Wunderbar.

Should I get this or the Honda Ridgeline?

The family wants to go camping in an RV. I figure it's a good way to bond with my wife's son.

You're absolutely right.
I've driven Renault's 1.5dci with a manual transmission.
It's gutless below 2k rpm. You can actually feel the crank struggling at that speed.
But from 2-3k the turbo kicks in and it moves pretty quick. 3k rpm is pretty much redline.

The result is I feels more like a petrol than a diesel.

Is there really room in the market for another pickup?

Who's their target audience? Rich people who think they're rednecks because they wear boots and listen to country music on the radio?

This'd be more off-road and truck oriented than the crossover based Ridgeline.
If you're not doing anything more serious than unsealed roads, the Honda would be fine. Any more serious, any of the 1/4 ton dual cabs (such as this) would be the go.

Those people would just get a Denali or a King Ranch.

I can only imagine outdoorsy yuppie faggots who have RVs and boats. Many will be sold in WA and CO.

>Who's their target audience?
Probably similar customers who buy other Mercedes Benz commercial products, but need a light vehicle with a bed.

Wow, really makes you think. I am now a #cruzmissile

give me a g-wagon pickup with a diesel or the 5.5L biturbo

>fat luxury trucks with huge cabs and small beds

>fat
It's a midsize 1/4 ton
>luxury truck
[citation needed]
>with huge cabs and small beds
literally choice of cab and bed sizes to suit different scenarios.
>your baseless opinion
pic related.

IRL, Mexico, Australia and South Africa are intended to be the primary markets. These three countries like mid size trucks more than full size. They've already stated there will be a basic stripped worker variant, think along the lines of the Sprinter and then there will be a luxury trim version for people who want to treat it as a luxury vehicle. This really isn't any different than how the F150 offers an XLT trim with plastic cladding on lower variants and a luxury Platinum version with chrome cladding and wood/ leather interiors at the upper end.

Nor sure if it'll work.

The Vito and the Sprinter are good vans, and decent continuations/additions to the well-established work vehicle brand they have, where the competition have usually been low as Mercedes have taken aim at producing more comfortable, expensive work vehicles, as opposed to the more bare-bones VW Caravelles, Toyota HiAces, Fiat Movano or whatever they're called.

The new Citan is seemingly struggling. Its a type of car with heavy market competition, and they are usually used quite roughly with minimal service. Therefore nobody really wants to pay the extra cash for it. It also doesnt help that its a rebadged frenchie.

Now, the GLT... I dont think it'll land all that well with the pickup buying market.

It will be more expensive than the japanese and have less payload/towing than the americans. I just dont see where they expect to find buyers.

I'd say its market would be those who buy the better equipped trim levels of Japanese branded midsize pickups for recreation and daily driving purposes.
Pretty much exactly what the guy above you said.

>the pickup will be offered in markets in Europe, Australia, South Africa and South America, and is expected to be built in both Europe and Argentina

The fuck? Why not America

How's Alaska? Been thinking of moving on to there.

>We are not going to develop a fat cowboy truck for North America,’ says Volker Mornhinweg, the man in charge of the project. ‘After all, the big three - Ford, GM/GMC and Ram - already own about 90% of that market which typically absorbs in excess of two million units per year.

wHY

I should've added that I wrote with thought to the mainstream pickup buyer we have in Europe.

We'll see. I don't think it'll flop, but I don't see it becoming a sales success like the Isuzu D-Max here in Norway

>sales success
>norway
So it sold like 10 trucks?

>tfw ausfag
>tfw "chicken tax" ute
>tfw 8.6L/100km out of a 2.8L TD
>tfw 3000kg towing limit
>tfw 1000kg bed limit
>tfw able to park in the same space as a camry

Thankyou based Toyota for not making trash vehicles

Then who are they selling these """"""trucks"""""" to?

My company gave me a 2012 megane 1.5 dci and i'm coming close to 200 000 km without any problems beside maintenance.

Nothing wrong, clutch and turbo are original. The only problem is the power

One would expect so, but just about 1000 of them were purchased in 2015, which is quite impressive for such a small country with such high prices

I'd love a D-Max myself

You realize that the merc is a D23 frontier right?

Ausfags are gonna be buying D23's left right and center especially because it has optional coils in the rear and is a bit cheaper than a hilux while providing the same or more options.

We have D-Max's in Australia, this whole country is like one big proving ground, either shit falls to bits quick or keeps running indefinitely.

Haven’t heard anything bad about the engine, running gear or the chassis, I sat in one once and thought the interior was lacking but at that price? Not really an issue. Ford has the Ranger over here which is different to the US ranger, all I've heard from that crowd is sending their vehicles back to the dealership over and over to get things fixed, plus they are thirsty as fuck.

You mean a Nissan Navara?
Those things are piss-weak, notoriously unreliable and cramped. Ausfags are weary of Euro trucks, case and point why the Amarok hasn't really taken off here other than fleet sales for mining sites. With the Hilux you already know what you're buying before you get it, people trust a hilux.

Much of the same reasons here. Its fairly priced, very high tow rating (3 tonnes on the first generation, 3.5 on the second), can now be had with automatic and comes in different configurations

They hold their value quite well also

Isn't that just a Navara?