Fatal crash when using Tesla Autopilot

teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/volvo-engineer-calls-out-tesla-for-dangerous-wannabe-au-1773519459
youtube.com/watch?v=zY_zqEmKV1k
nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/self-driving-tesla-fatal-crash-investigation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=otR8V7rlnjA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

leaving the autopilot on and not watching what it was doing

it couldn't have seen the trailer, but the human in the driver's seat could have seen it beforehand

People overestimating the capabilities of camera aided cruise control. There will be a time when you can let the computer drive and not pay attention to the road anymore, but 2016 is not it.

unfortunately this is what happens when you get complacent. Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact the advancement of automated driving. Human error strikes again.

But we are already in living in the future user, how much longer am I supposed to wait?

Go back to /g/

Hopefully this makes everybody realize the hubris and lack of awareness present in those pushing for and developing this technology.

The only lack of awareness is from the dead guy.

Autopilot is supposed to be a driver assist, not a full-blown self-driving vehicle. 2 of my family members own Teslas and both have tried showing off their Autopilot feature by doing retarded shit like post on facebook while driving.

Self-driving cars have their limits, and a driver should be obligated to take control of the wheel at a moment's notice. Why are people so fucking retarded?

ask this to 70's kids they grew up thinking in 2000 we would have personnal spaceshit

>a bad thing happened involving
>BAN IT BAN IT WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE

i feel sad people like you can vote

>2nd grade reading comprehension
I feel sad people like you can vote

kek, btfo

whoops, meant to quote

Darwinism

>camera aided cruise control
Smart roads when??

If roads could network with vehicles via a standard API we could have all sorts of behavior programmed into automatic navigation, without having to develop an AI with better-than-human vision.

>smart roads
hundreds of billions of dollars

it's literally easier to go the self driving car route because people buy them individually instead of relying on a large government effort, and better than human vision AI is happening pretty soon anyway, this shit is advancing hella quick

Obviously there was a flaw in the system, but Tesla has made it very clear that the driver must be ready to take over at all times.

>sensors that are cheap enough for mass deployment and not butt fucking ugly like all the lidar shit google puts on their self driving cars are not perfect when not driven on perfect flat roads within 15 miles of google's campus that have been extensively mapped, or buttfuck nowhere single lane roads in flyover states
gee, who would have guessed that it's not ready for consumers???

>hundreds of billions of dollars

so west coast states can afford it while everyone else can stay pleb

>realize the hubris and lack of awareness present in those pushing for and developing this technology.
>first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated
>Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles
>Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles
they sure are playing with fire here :^)

This

>my sides when imagining some pretentious nu-male tesla driver getting rekt by a semi

Yeah, no. Ignoring the cost of retrofitting the roads
>Car hits sensor that gives cars position information
>all the cars now think the lane is two meters to the left
>steer into that
>hit barrier/other cars
>multi car automated pileup
Local sensors will remain there for the foreseeable future, otherwise you'd end up with shit like ADS-B.

Even if you close off the signal from the "public" dozens of engineers are going to leak it and anyone who knows it could become a terrorist who just made a radio that drives cars off the fucking road if they rely off remote signals for positioning/driving info primarily.

Cali could barely afford it, Oregon certainly can't and neither could Washington.

Frankly, unless you cut most government spending you still wouldn't be able to afford it.

TELSA BTFO
Long live Mercedes
>muh ultrasound
>muh radar
>muh innovation

I wouldn't mind seeing a single lane for self driving vehicles on some main highways, I know it would still cost assloads but some day it'll be cool.

>Divided highway
>Tractor trailer drives perpendicular to oncoming traffic

How does this even happen?

Also, let the Musk cocksucking festival begin

This guy gets it. I worked in IT in the valley for the better part of a decade. The engineers working on this are the kind of people that get defeated by door knobs. They are people who try to set up a static IP when the corp network hicups rather than toggle their connection. They survive on delusions of their own greatness. They are worthless at everything but writing code.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are developing self driving cars because they themselves are too autistic to figure out how to drive. Everything is a hobby ego boosting project to them, they are completely unable to deliver finished products.

The fact that they released a tool like this to the general public in beta is a wonderful example of how completely retarded they are.

>meanwhile human error killed 93 people today

Yeah, autopilot is clearly a danger to everyone

>Daily reminder a Volvo engineer warned for this.

jalopnik.com/volvo-engineer-calls-out-tesla-for-dangerous-wannabe-au-1773519459

>Got grilled by Tesla Musk cuck boys in angsty comments.

common sense could have warned for it too. or you know, paying attention to what the vehicle is doing with not only your $100,000 investment but also your life.

Also Porsche and other VW brands, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo every single other manufacturer with a lvl 3 autonomous system is using the same exact Bosch sensors that are also in Tesla.

They all require you too hold your hands on the wheel apart for the most time, Tesla just disabled this safety feature and went:

>OOOOH LOOK LOOK MOMMY NO HANDS!

>Didn't read the article

"The system also makes frequent checks to ensure that the driver's hands remain on the wheel and provides visual and audible alerts if hands-on is not detected. It then gradually slows down the car until hands-on is detected again."

>divided highway
I thought Autopilot was to be used only on regular highways for this exact reason?
There are some divided highway in rural areas that have cross streets. Its not uncommon but this truck driver clearly should not be trying to cross a highway that is at all populated. This is not Teslas fault. It is a little of the dudes fault for not paying attention that his car wasnt seeing the trailer, and mostly the fault of the arrogant truck driver who think the road revolves around him

>a system that they didn't even built
>bragging about not even be able to use it
Typical Musk.

>Tesla just disabled this safety feature
VAG, Merc, BMW and Volvo are idiots. Done is perfect. If you aren't first to market with a feature, you are worthless.

>Is an idiot.

Look up video's of Tesla's driving in Autopilot, they ask to hold your hands on the wheel once a minute or two minutes tops. And only for a brief second.

The same Bosch system in other cars requires you to hold your hands on the wheel more then 30% of the time.

>we iz made dems der self drivin cars yee haw america
>bosch
>and you still have to baby it by holding the wheel
yeah technology has come so far

>youtube related

youtube.com/watch?v=zY_zqEmKV1k

Tesla came on the market with this system at the same time as other manufacturers. They just claim things that it isn't.

Will America ever build a functioning car?

First we will have to admit that we can't, which will never happen because pride is a protected feeling.

>made up statistics

>and a driver should be obligated to take control of the wheel at a moment's notice. Why are people so fucking retarde

Then what is the fucking point? Being ready to spring into action is no more relaxing than just maintaining control. Autopilot can suck my balls.

>Navy SEAL
>nu-male

come on mate

>cuck dies from driving his cuckcar in cuckmode
Hopefully now they will stop pushing for this shit.

>>Then what is the fucking point?
"bus rider detected"

Its not new technology, Tesla basically took 3 patents from Mercedes and combined them. The same features are available in fucking Hyundais ffs. Except these companies are not fucking egocentric enough to say their cars is self driving.

/g/ here
I see people asking
>Not to mention what the hell does one do when the computer sensors break down?
What does a normal car do when the human driver's sensors break down? Or the human driver has a stroke or a heart attack? Or the human driver stops paying attention?

But I'm not going to take the words of actual Luddites who still praise stick shift seriously though.
Sadly, this man's death will serve as beta testing for future development. The shitbox heaps that encase you and your bad driving, that cause millions of deaths every year, will soon be irrelevant. Programmers will get better and drivers will be phased out. Everyone covers this story to a fanatical extent, but no one talks about the drunk drivers and Fast and Furious wannabe racers that take so many more lives.
The codes we write will get rid of your "hobby" and make the streets safer again.

Military people get cucked hard an often.

Just because you are willing to beat the proverbial shit out of yourself for Uncle Sam, does not somehow make you alpha (bro). Actually it makes you pretty cucked.

>I am a legend in my own mind, motherfuckers. Bow to me

Actually I think you are dead nuts wrong. "inherent _______" is the future. Using computers to engineer things that do not have problems. Aka front loaded. All the sophistication goes on at the factory.

Correcting issues with software is going to be confined to special applications. There is no reason to have all the sophistication in the end product. Coders like yourself have a very difficult time ever doing things right the 1st through 200th time. Because you are so terrible at your jobs, automation will always require supervision and intervention.

Taking the bait super hard

>make the streets safer again
>again
>implying
moving on

>actual Luddites
Is this intended as an insult?
I drive stick because it is fun, just like how my brother plays Melee because it is fun. Is he too a Luddite because he plays the vidya he likes as opposed to the latest AAA release?
It's not even comparable, because Melee has not really received any official updates since release, while manual transmissions continue to get better every year.

>drivers will be phased out
not in my lifetime buddy

>no one talks about the drunk drivers and F&F wannabe racers
because they don't have an asshole leading them around, parading them as the way of the future, when there are clearly problems that should have been addressed before the car was available to the public. This is not the first incident where a Tesla has driven into something while in a self piloting mode.
see this

Darwinism at work

>Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact the advancement of automated driving
Uh no hopefully the opposite. Self driving cars are cancer

Inattentive driver. Calling it "auto pilot" is potentially opening them up to liability. They should call it "cruise control" and leave it at that. Too many idiots using depending on technology still in beta.

Is my kid a luddite for playing tag with his friends, playing in a pool, climbing trees, riding bikes, and doing other physical activities instead of playing vidya?

No your kid is a functional human being instead of a shitty fat techno-zombie

Chink hackers

>“What we know is that the vehicle was on a divided highway with Autopilot engaged when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S,” Tesla wrote. “Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied.”
nytimes.com/2016/07/01/business/self-driving-tesla-fatal-crash-investigation.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

But he isn't arrogant and superficially tech savvy, I really worry about how he is going to fit into the world 10 years from now.

He'll fit in just fine and do well most likely. All of the fat vidya obsessed autists with no social skills will go nowhere.

Aren't they all making $250k a year writing code?

No they're failing out of college because they are lazy and have no focus or work ethic (muh instant gratification culture). Coding is a rapidly degrading employment prospect because indians are doing it for 1/5th the cost.

Is it 1999?

i work as a mechanical engineer at a startup. we like to let the IT people think they're the backbone of our companies. feed 'em doritos and let 'em think they're important.

>i work
>at a startup
My sympathy.
"Startup culture" is fucking hell. Never again. I'll happily take my 8-4 with steady income and benefits over working 70 hrs/wk for uncertain pay with no benefits with the hope of being a part of something that succeeds.

Do you live in the SF Bay Area?

>Then what is the fucking point?
there is no point. People just can't over the thought of having a self driving car. People hate driving but people don't want to share a seat with a bum. A self driving car is their answer.

autonomous cars will be a common thing and people will get tickets for not being attentive at the wheel. There will still be fatal crashes with autonomous cars but people will accept the risk as worth while.

Bunch of poorfags in this tread, BTFO.

yeah, i'm feeling the burn. i'm learning a ton that i will be able to turn into a really good job at a real company soon.

this one isn't folding any time soon - deep in the three-figures on headcount, so it's not really a startup anymore - but it's basically a startup. everything's in panic mode all the time, i do a ton of shit and learn a lot, and i have no life outside of work.

>I drive stick because it is fun
Worthless appeal to emotion. I'll ignore the utter nonsense where you devolved the argument into video game allegories. We're talking about cars and the improvement of technology. If your excuse of a hobby is to drive fast in a steal cage while putting everyone's lives at risk, then it's time to grow up. The future will be a world of driverless transportation that is safer than idiotic road racing spergs speeding through traffic, running over innocent pedestrians. And don't talk about fun when you don't even let /n/ enjoy their bicycle rides in peace.

Yes, there are no longer $250k/yr jobs posted up on telephone poles for anyone that can use a computer

Go back to /n/ if you don't like driving

>autism the post
>calling others spergs
>pic related

>steal cage
>steal

your entire post is meaningless

I'll go back to /g/ where we're working to end driver input. Computers will lead the way. And to add on to my previous post, self-driving cars will be safe when all cars and most roads have government-mandated position and orientation identifiers in them. A self-driving car going off digitized models of the traffic conditions is a trivial thing to accomplish. A self-driving car using entirely visual information will always have wrinkles to be ironed out. That's why CAPTCHA's are visual images: humans are just better at interpreting visual data than even the most sophisticated algorithm.

Again, it's only a matter of time before your manual shitboxes will be collectively dumped in a junkyard where they won't be used to take innocent lives on the road. Maybe you can use the spare time to help progress technology instead of holding it back with appeals to emotion for an activity that's sole purpose is to transport, not endanger others with reckless stupidity.

but user i like driving stick

Fuck off with your technocracy bullshit. This is a thread for people who like cars not obese social rejects who want to be free to waste their lives using twitfaceagram on the way to work every day instead of doing something fulfilling like driving.

>can't male a proper refutation
>resorts to a one letter typo
Pathetic.

Yet another Veeky Forumstist that can't perform a well constructed argument and has to use stale reaction images and clubhouse buzzwords. The computer module in driverless cars have more intelligence than you.

I've got to say I am all for this. The people that let technology do everything for them will redefine the definition of wuss. Current numales will look like masculine WWII vets compared to them.

Man I will have a fucking blast pushing them around. All your women are belong to me.

>the act of going around circles in a chair surrounded by steel is more of a fulfilling life experience than checking social media
Even less. You want to have fun? Take it to the track where to belongs. Away from people who want to make it home safely and not get hit by a drunk driver a road racing speeder.

>typo
as if you didn't think that was how it's spelled

that's not a typo, that's you being illiterate

>people actually exist who want technology to do everything for them
>they want to get carted around by a sterile-from-all-interaction-with-the-world computerized taxi hugbox while tapping away on their iphones instead of exercising autonomy and doing things like driving for themselves

>WAH WAH YOUR FUN TRIGGERS ME IT SHOULD BE BANNED
move to a city, take public transport, shut the fuck up

>activity that's sole purpose is to transport
whats it feel like to not have fun driving?

it'll be a shame when they try and take them away, probly wont work though. like when they tried to make the uk use ethonal fuels but the enthusiasts turnt round and told them to fuck off.
but eh im pretty sure someone will just hack the shit out of whatever selfdriving computer thats used, like they do with legitematly everything. im more scared of someone else making me crash than me crashing, 'cause then atleast we know whos responsible

>WAH WAH YOUR SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY TRIGGERS ME IT SHOULD BE BANNED BECAUSE MUH FEELS
See? I play that game too. How about you throw your broken down Toyota away and get a Tesla.

>Literally have to ask your superior officer if you can go take a piss

You can't get cucked any harder than joining the military

>whats it feel like to not have fun driving?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is nothing fun sitting in a chair doing nothing but fiddling with a phallic shaped object (which I'm sure you all love) while being stuck in gridlock traffic, as you're enclosed in a steel cage. In a driverless car, I could read, watch a movie, or put my time to programming and bettering myself instead of engaging in an archaic form of transportation. The future is a bright one, where road rage, drunks, and ghetto racers won't be ruining it for the rest of the sane members of society. What Elon Musk has done for technology and science is more than can be said for what the collective car enthusiast herd has done for the populace.

Sorry you live in the slums user.

You find it everywhere, even in the rural countryside. Look, no one is saying driving will go extinct, it's only going to be moved to the track where it should be, and not for transportation on municipal roads.

Gasoline powered cars will be dead in 300 years.

Diesel vehicles will be dead in 300 years.

Self driving cars will be dead in 300 years.

All of the Earth's natural resources will be gone and spent. Either put into a battery for someone's phone, laptop, or massive laptopphone with wheels that carts them around. All of the hydrocarbons will be contaminating the air after being drawn from the earth and burned. Earth will become uninhabitable just like almost every other planet in existence. You think you're a fucking genius, and the results of your genius won't likely affect you in your lifetime, or mine, but you're just as big of a problem as someone speeding around in a shitbox. You're the type of person responsible for creating an uninhabitable Earth.

You've killed us all with your progressive techno bullshit. You're taking evolution out of the picture. Now, every retard can survive a full life and continue to water down the gene pool while the planet's population steadily rises. The pollution problem does the same, no matter how much "green" or "eco friendly" garbage is pushed. We're always consuming , as long as we exist. Eventually, there won't be enough food to go around. There will be riots, people will die, maybe in a Hitler-esque government genocide. There will be more nuclear explosions. There will be massive wars fought over water and bread.

No ship is unsinkable, and as far as I'm concerned Earth is the Titanic. Put the engines in full reverse, Captain Fuckstick, because we all trust that you know what's good for us.

For what it's worth, it looks like there's a sort of rise before the intersection where this happened. So sight lines weren't clear from either direction.

Lmao, human beings are not fucking computers, we are capable of cognitive and emotional thought. An appeal to human emotion wasn't, isn't and will never be worthless.

Human beings are filled with determination and competition, it is (combined with an amazing anatomy) what sets us apart from animals and insects whose goals are to reproduce and self-preserve, not advance in their careers or connect with their children on a deeper level.

Humanity hasn't made it this far by taking the most optimal path. Millennium of struggle, hard work, desperation, passion, fervor, and trial & error is what it has taken to advance as a species. Computers will always be beneath humanity because they lack humanity.

>stupid people do stupid things in general vicinity of you
>scream OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS GOING TO SHIT
>literally blaming technology for keeping "stupid people" alive
>when the "stupid people" are actually technophobic morons like you

Do you know what was referred to as a computer in the 1800s?
A human being.
It was a job that no longer exists because we now offload our mathematical processing to machines.

Humans are computers. We deal with much more abstract and complex equations than our silicon children, but we are computers and machines all the same. Your body is a collection of levers, loads and fulcrums that allow your limbs to move, connected to an electrical network of neurons that relay direction from a central processor to the muscle fibers that also allow your lungs to inhale and your heart to beat.

>but we're special because we're made of meat!
>a-and we are self-replicating!

you are a fool

>what sets us apart from animals and insects whose goals are to reproduce and self-preserve, not advance in their careers or connect with their children on a deeper level.

Those are the same fucking thing, you idiot. Humans caring so deeply for their children is WHY WE ARE STILL HERE, and career advancement is directly tied to social advancement, self-preservation and self-improvement. They are the same impulses, simply filtered through the human cognitive lens.

What sets us apart from the other creatures on this planet is our ability to adapt and improve upon what nature has given us, and what we have created for ourselves.

>What went wrong?
Putting retards behind a 2000kg machine going 150khs.

Tesla cars are SEMI AUTONOMOUS, you HAVE to keep your hands on the wheel and WATCH THE FUCKING ROAD, my guess is that he would have died even in a regular car with no driving system.

Truck driver should be charged with murder too.

Oh. You don't work at a startup, you're just important in your company.

Congrats, bro. You've made it.

Trailers in Europe have side bars to stop cars going under the trailer.
Why don't US trailers have them too?

This made me look into it, there are 10.5 deaths for every 100,000 people in merica, nearly double Australias 5.5, are Americans really that bad at driving?

Like these ones?
youtube.com/watch?v=otR8V7rlnjA