Computers in cars

From steering to braking, computers are increasingly taking over the car as the years go by. There was even a recent controversy when American cars with OnStar can now be turned on and off with an smartphone app.

Should we worry about it or nah? Are computers improving the car, or are we fixing a problem that doesn't exist by replacing all parts with computer/electric controls? Both?

(Note: let's leave the discussion of self-driving cars for another time because that's a whole different issue)

youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=27lWWNGSj4I
youtube.com/watch?v=NLgwJzL2gTY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

companies being lazy with cyber security
what else is new

Op would you go in a space craft without computers?

Probably not.

So why go in a car without computers?

I mean, trashing a computer with viruses is one thing, but if something happens to a car while I'm driving, the least that will happen is thousands of dollar in damages.

Fair point. This thread is just an "I'm just sayin..." thread saying that there are unforseen risks with computerization as well as benefits; most people tend to forget the risks and just support computerization for the sake of "progress.

For example, I don't know why they had to computerize e-brakes or the steering wheel. They were smooth fine before in analogue, why add the computer middleman?

>meanwhile, various hacks resulting in who knows how much financial damage from stolen credit card numbers or information or whatever

something to keep in mind is that most of the scarier hacks involve putting something inside the car that the hacker can access, which involves some installation. With the exception of that jeep hack which can go in over the multimedia system because it's chrysler and they're so dumb they put engine controls and media I/O on the same internal network

Fuck you OP you're right stand and defend your point.
This guy is a dumb ass

Companies keep pushing all this tech shit into cars when they can't even get BASIC car functions . It's over engineered solutions (that only create more points for the car's system to fail) to problems we never had before.

It's not just safety standards that ruin cars. It's that a car without infotainment, electric everything to the steering to the pedals to the exhaust, if your car doesn't have these things it's "inferior" and not worth it because the modern consumer is a fucking brain dead retard.

You reach a point where this technology hurts more than it helps.

Jesus Christ, that kid's about to get eaten alive. This is the kind of stupid bullshit that really gets on my nerves. Just like the child that was eaten by the alligator at Disney World a couple of weeks ago; where the fuck are the parents? On that note, how on earth do slides like this get approed for child use (or anyone's use, for that matter)? I haven't completely lost faith in humanity, but nonsense like this doesn't help at all. Fuck these people.

Don't several recent American cars have on-board Wifi now? It just asks for trouble because car computers have virtually no anti-virus system or anything like that.

A-are.. Are you pretending to be retarded? Shit I really can't tell with Veeky Forums these days anymore

Thanks dude. I feel the same way.

When I was young, my father and I used to work on cars and fix pretty much anything short of a broken transmission. My dad would often teach me basic car stuff and it was great. For example, dad would lift the hood, press the gas pedal, and he would tell me to see a cable pull the lever near the engine. It was simple and durable.

We used to fix everything together. The old man bought a Lexus in 2011, and he had a problem with the car. However, we found out it was something to do with the computer, so we had to tow it to a Lexus dealer. We paid a huge amount because of the dumb computer; only a Lexus dealer can fix it.

Bullshit.

NOT FUCKING USEFUL
I don't understand what benefits you get for switching to computer control. Some pussy can't stand road feeling so we need electronic controlled steering? ok but it doesn't improve that much worth the whole changing technology

electric brakes? this is the most retarded thing ever. Brakes is something we want to feel directly from the feedback and we can control precisely. Why in the fuck switch to some 10 stages "fail safe" mode in case computer fucks up why just stick with the standard one???? not to mention people get used to brake by feelings so you have to stimulate that feeling anyway. The actual fuck???????? you replaced the most reliable, cheap and already good enough option with some "new technology" and then try to make it similar to the old one?>>????????

Anytime you see the phrase "internet connected" you should immediately replace it with "GNAA connected" and think about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=27lWWNGSj4I

>cars

Okay, Electronic power steering is lighter, less complicated and more reliable. No hydraulic bullshit parasitizing engine power, no pump to blow up and spray oil everywhere, and road feel can be customized by the manufacturer through software.

If you want to whine like a babby about "MUH ROAD FEELS" you should be aware that it is not technology that numbs the driving feel but rather consumer preference and manufacturer decision.
You can make an EPS rack hard as fuck and only give a little assistance, or do the opposite and make it feel like a Camry. Unfortunately, a minority of people prefer road feels over ease of steering.

in reality those "technologies" are nothing new tho....
manufactures just wanna let braindead moron sheeps buy their advertisement new cars with "new stuff"

replacing the already reliable mechanical linkage with drive-by-wire and then stimulates the old technology is fucking dumb. And I for one will never accept this

>inb4 granpa catch on
no fuck you. I like new technology but these pure consumer strategy is not "tech" at all
I accept TPMS. well maybe people do wanna know tires pressure even though it breaks down and expensive
I like new 7-position seat and lumbar support. These new electronics do make me comfy
But making already good stuff unnecessarily built and tell me it's better because it's new is just fucking annoying. I like how the steering is and no I don't need no improvement on it.

also "electric brakes" are still hydraulic brake, they just have an electric booster generating vacuum instead of using the engine vacuum, meaning there are less vacuum lines to crack and fail, and the braking system is more reliable.

seriously, old shit is not better no matter what your pappy tells you.

>replacing the already reliable mechanical linkage with drive-by-wire
The only system that does this is throttle control. Brakes and steering are mechanically linked, the only difference is that the assistive power is generated by electric motors instead of a hydraulic circuit or engine vacuum. These systems are superior to their predecessors in every conceivable way.

>implying I've never driven one
I feel I'm nannied by manufacture in first 2 mins driving these cars. And all the "require dealership diagnostic" bullshit is making me more raged
Now they just hide every feature and function in their dealers computer so you won't be able to work on your cars no more. Either pay 2000$ shekels or no solution. Old stuff break but easily repaired. And I trust mechanical stuff can suffer more stress than electronics. These electric components are not super complicated. They only run by pre-programmed function and by sensors. They are not reliable enough to me. If one day you put 40 sensors to monitor a component then I'd call that can really do better than human reaction and mechanical linkage.

throttle is another example to opposite brakes
for electronic throttle, people of course get used to them because every car is electronic throttle now. But no serious drivers would tell you they feel the direct connection between control and the person. Sure sometimes it does what we don't exactly want is not a big deal. People basically get the feeling of "guessing" of what throttle would do
brake is something I'd never tolerate "guessing" part. I want to feel rubbing the pad on disc, period
and there are cars with potential meter for brake not only assist

youtube.com/watch?v=NLgwJzL2gTY

ECU MOTOR MOUNTS

>I like how the steering is and no I don't need no improvement on it.
So you like having an extra fluid to monitor? Extra belts to check? You fucking like hearing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE when you turn?

A power steering rack that can leak shit all over the road and the underside of your car, caking it with a disgusting dirt/ps fluid mix that I as the technician now have to slog through to fix the whining, leaking hydro PS in your grampa car.

>he likes having more things to introduce vacuum leaks into his engine
holy shit why

Fixing broken computers are much more costly because they are patented and you can't fix them yourself. You MUST go to the dealership and pay $10,000+ to fix (although they just tell you to buy a new computer oftentimes) the glitched computer.

Also, while a leaky/loose mechanical component created an isolated issue, a broken sensor or computer can be catastrophic and it can cripple the whole car and perhaps put your life in danger.

Not a good trade if you ask me.

Okay I'll play fair: the price tag ranges from $4000-$8000 for broken computers, not $10,000+.

Still much more expensive than replacing belts, however.

You can just buy manufacturer scan tools to work on your car's electronics. Yes they're expensive but tools tend to be.

There's no guessing with electronic brake boost. It is a regular hydraulic brake system that you can feel through your foot, the only difference is that you are being assisted by an electric pump instead of the engine. That's all.

I like a fully-mechanical throttle personally, but electronic throttle simplifies cruise control and idle air control into a single unit that only does one thing: Opens the throttle plate. That is a natural technological progression and the throttle body actually got less complicated. That said, it's rather sluggish under certain situations but not others: rolling to a stop, but try to get back in gear, throttle responds slowly to make revmatching easier, but go for a downshift at highway speed and it blips faster than you thought you'd blipped it.

All I'm saying is don't shit on the technology because manufacturers implement it poorly, these electronic systems are making the ICE more efficient and durable.

>Op would you go in a space craft without computers?
Holy shit are you really this stupid? The gulf between computing in space and consumer electronics is as wide as the pacific ocean.

This thread is so full of retardation I am probably going to leave Veeky Forums. You guys are dumb as fuck.

This generation is completely fucking stupid.

Keep it simple, stupid. Some old technophobe grandpa didn't come up with that. Rocket scientists did.

Not him, but it's worth reiterating the one point about "isolated problems". As he said, the computer and other associated electronic cars are all interconnected. Which, is nice in the case of something OBD to monitor your engine. However, since it's spread further throughout the car, it's only creating more potential problems.

I really hate to sound like a luddite saying these things, but it's the true

I can fix it also.
good luck to fix the computer because you will not
And you can't do shit about it if you're not a dealership tech because everything needs a reprogram and everything is accessed by dealer computer

a vacuum leak can be seen. diagnosed and repaired by average people. Good luck trying to figure out when 1 sensor is fucked but you have to check all of them because you don't dealer computer therefore you cannot see the computer sees

such stupid words said by a tech

>you can buy manufacturer scan tool
are you really a tech? now find me a BMW or Chevy dealership scan tool, which is already an all-in-one station, less than $20,000 and actually sold to individuals

new throttle body $200-300 + general scan tool reprogram or even with the key $0-100

dealership secret little computer scan alone cost $150 + parts and labour

good fucking technology mate

I remember back in the 1990s when shit just worked. If something only worked %95 of the time, people called it garbage.

it is true tho
>door doesn't open
>suddenly rear window doesn't open
>suddenly compartment light always on
>oh! it's a sensor to detect door closed!
in the case of critical driving components it could be more annoying than ever

before
>something breaks
>ok can still drive home
>find and fix
now
>something breaks
>better call the tow truck cause MUH TECHNOLOGIED car is tripped over 1 little component
>yeah let's give it to dealership for 3 days
>ends up with 1000$+ bills and still don't know what the problem is
>because muh dealer secret muh special computer

fuck the change seriously. I want to be able to work on my car and not rely my entire car life on the dealership

a leaky or loose mechanical component creates more problems by leaking onto operating components and hot or spinning surfaces, its fluids flung through the engine bay, slowly corroding your belts, electrical connectors and insulators, combining with road grit, and (being mechanical) probably destroying itself and other componenets from being slightly off from where it needs to be.

Sensors are easy to fix. Buy a new one and replace it. One bolt, one connector, done and done. A very basic $12 Bluetooth OBD reader can get enough data to figure out what's gone wrong. Get a fucking multimeter. It is not hard.

Computers shouldn't break. If they do, you likely have an electrical problem elsewhere that caused it. They do not fail all on their own (unless they are very old). Sensors cause very specific modes of failure when they go out and can be diagnosed with the cheapest of scan equipment. A Genisys will do all the shit you need and is not dealer-specific.
You all just sound like you're making excuses to avoid using actual diagnostic tools.

Why are you all so scared of a damn computer? You're fucking using one to post!

/g/ here
I see people asking
>Not to mention what the hell does one do when the computer sensors break down?
What does a normal car do when the human driver's sensors break down? Or the human driver has a stroke or a heart attack? Or the human driver stops paying attention?

But I'm not going to take the words of actual Luddites who still praise stick shift seriously though.
Sadly, this man's death will serve as beta testing for future development. The shitbox heaps that encase you and your bad driving, that cause millions of deaths every year, will soon be irrelevant. Programmers will get better and drivers will be phased out. Everyone covers this story to a fanatical extent, but no one talks about the drunk drivers and Fast and Furious wannabe racers that take so many more lives.
The codes we write will get rid of your "hobby" and make the streets safer again.

>Why are you all so scared of a damn computer? You're fucking using one to post!

Are you this guy?

>I remember back in the 1990s when shit just worked.
I don't think you and I saw the same decade.

>vacuum-actuated HVAC controls
kill me now

Pls don't hack our cars, /g/

I have a friend that is a master tech for one of the big three german brands. He is almost constantly doing warranty repair on failed modules. Usually they go completely dead or they get out of sync with the CAN and prevent the car from starting.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The computer I am using to post as glitches or bugs a couple times a month. It took a year of firmware updates to get it even that reliable. Computer people should stay the fuck away from critical or material things. You guys have no concept of doing things right the first time.

I also remember everybody hating windows 95. Nobody went around making excuses for it like the fags in this thread are trying to do.

>If you got the BSOD it is because something is configured wrong, THIS IS YOUR FAULT. Also it provides easy to read diagnostic information so you can fix it yourself.
>Stop being a Luddite user.

nope not true
I tried both my $120 and my friend $50 scan tool but they won't read BMWs and forget about all function test and live graph

And we're not afraid of computers. we just hate putting computers on unnecessary spots where mechanical linkage works just fine

yep $80 electronic auto-fold, light, clock notebook exist but a simple damn $3 notebook work just fine. Too many unnesaccery technology makes it annoying af

and sensors are not cheap. More importantly again it's that average people cannot get access to them. Conventional brake system cannot be simpler and thank god the ABS makes the logic like it's not in the way. People can easily diagnosis and repair
I need the brakes to work when I push down the pedal. I don't need to fucking worry about my speed sensor can somehow trip the brake computer and leads to system fault

And to add on to that, self-driving cars will be safe when all cars and most roads have government-mandated position and orientation identifiers in them. A self-driving car going off digitized models of the traffic conditions is a trivial thing to accomplish. A self-driving car using entirely visual information will always have wrinkles to be ironed out. That's why CAPTCHA's are visual images: humans are just better at interpreting visual data than even the most sophisticated algorithm.

Again, it's only a matter of time before your manual shitboxes will be collectively dumped in a junkyard where they won't be used to take innocent lives on the road. Maybe you can use the spare time to help progress technology instead of holding it back with appeals to emotion for an activity that's sole purpose is to transport, not endanger others with reckless stupidity.

>And we're not afraid of computers. we just hate putting computers on unnecessary spots where mechanical linkage works just fine
This is what it comes down to.

Computers are great for a lot of things. A lot of other things they do not belong around.

>Master tech for one of the big three german brands.
>almost constantly doing warranty repair on failed modules.

German cars almost don't count. They are the reason everyone gets their back up about computer control, when the American and Japanese manufacturers are doing it right. If you leave your Mercedes' windows down in the rain, you probably deserve it.

I bet if you actually inspected those control units, you'd find damage consistent with an in-chassis electrical problem. Maybe we shouldn't leave complicated operations such as wiring the car to infinitely fallible humans, especially when they're practically massive rolling intranets as it is.

>needing power steering
Bro you need to lift more. Shit isn't hard to manage.

>with appeals to emotion
Here you have it folks, a literal robot telling us how to spend our lives. He can't even comprehend not being autistic.

New cars are just better. Period. Less mechanical things to worry about. Sure, modules and capacitors can fail but its getting better. More importantly, software is a bigger concern as hardware becomes more reliable. Tesla can improve range, performance, and introduce new features just by upgrading the firmware.

It's the future. People who stubbornly cling unto the past perceived glory should just be removed. Thankfully there are few of you and more and more people are warming up to the idea of simpler, more automated cars.

THIS so much
cars are not government property. Once I buy it stay the fuck out my way

I do not want to see your dealerships faces except maintenance is up. So do not even tell me "XD user a simple reprogram would fix"
no no no no no hell no fuck no
I do not want to come back for anything. Leave my car the fuck alone
I want things to work. the least thing I want is I have to come back and forth between my life and the dealership

>ohhh but it's only a sensor! or a computer which replaced free!
again fuck you and no
I don't want just A sensor. I want no comeback ever for any of your unneccesary shits. If a hose or line breaks then suck to be me. But a computer to replace what's already a good design?? Fuck outta here

I'm born in the old world, I'll also live and die there.

>German cars almost don't count.
>1/3 of the cars on the road don't fit my delusional model of reality so I refuse to consider them.
Are you reading what you are typing?

So when are you gonna kill yourself or move to a technologically backwards third world country?

>computers make cars so great and convenient!
>oh but you can't do this, you can't do that
>be careful with that,too
>oh and if it breaks not my fault
>oh btw small problem but we need your car for 2 days and $500 thank you come back

mechanical linkage
>shits kinda bad but still works until I fix it

Fuck your jew shit

>not to forget shilling for Tesla
you're taht guy who's been shilling for days on Veeky Forums, right?

It sounds like a lot of you guys' grievances stem from not being able to fix things like you used to do. Well then that's simple: just learn how to? Replacement parts are cheap and all it takes is a simple replacement or welding skill to replace faulty capacitors. Software? Just write your own.

Really. You're all frustrated because you're ignorant. Just learn things.

Don't blame me for using the only example that has succeeded or at least making significant progress. I don't see GM, Ford, Toyota, BMW, or even MB even coming close despite their billions and thousands of PhDs.

>I do not want to come back for anything. Leave my car the fuck alone
>I want things to work. the least thing I want is I have to come back and forth between my life and the dealership
This. I also don't want to have my car connected to the cell network so you morons can constantly fix your constant foul ups.

>But there a million lines of code, you can't get them all right the first time.
Hmmm, maybe this is a great reason not to put computers IN FUCKING EVERYTHING.

Okay great so when I am using the car it takes up less of my attention. But owning it takes up more of my time and attention.

>But it is like a friend user. I don't have a gf, or any friends so I like having objects around that require a bunch of attention to keep working. You should be just like me, I am on the right side of history.

Is it possible to be less self conscious?

>Here you have it folks, a literal robot telling us how to spend our lives. He can't even comprehend not being autistic.

Yet you all have no problem doing the same to /n/ when all they want to do is ride a bike in peace. There is nothing of value in saving a hobby (if you can call it that) where the enthusiasts use cars as an extension of themselves, to give themselves an identity embedded in brand choices, consumerism, materialism, and mindless adrenaline rush endeavors for the sake of teenage racer fantasies. You are not the car you drive. It's a tool, and if you only use it just to go fast while sitting in a chair surrounded by a steel cage, then you've all had it coming. Programmers, computer scientists, and computer engineers will kill human car driving. It's only a matter of when.
You want to have fun with going fast in circles" Take it to the track where it belongs.

There is no reason for things to be that complicated when a less complicated solution gets the job done just as well.

Sophistication for the sake of sophistication is pure autism.

>Luddites and their emotional retorts
I can't wait for car driving to be wiped off as an archaic pastime. It is for transportation, not to hurt pedestrians and other drivers who want to make it home safely.
Read these
and face reality. It's closer than you think.

>complicated

How is a solid state electronics more complicated than a series of mechanical linkages? There's no moving parts or anything, just wiring. You can detect faulty connections with a simple voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

It basically makes vehicles a huge pain to fix and takes away the fun in driving.

Good thing there's an abundance of boomer-mobiles to enjoy.

I think you are just angry that you suck at driving. You don't get why all the Chads can do it so effortlessly and yet for you it is an eternal struggle not to hit things. You sound like somebody that crashed at 20mph into something stationary and got pissed at the car for not doing something to prevent it.

How many times have you ejaculated on that high horse of yours

How many lines of code are behind it.

>You can just check continuity user
My last career was building and troubleshooting low voltage systems. You have no fucking clue how much can and does go wrong, ESPECIALLY in digital systems. All the stuff I dealt with was static, I can only imagine (in fact I don't want to) what happens in a non climate controlled, vibrating environment.

what's better, to have a problem and think "well, maybe it's one of the fuel injectors?" or to have a computer say "BEEP BOOP PLEASE REPLACE INJECTOR FOUR"

i say thank you mr. computer

>are we fixing a problem that doesn't exist by replacing all parts with computer/electric controls
Yes. Certain improvements like advanced engine controls are cool when they help performance and efficiency but bullshit like electronic steering, braking, and automatic climate control never should have been stuck in passenger cars. Just as useless as computerized toasters, which sadly exist.

you know whats less complicated and more reliable than electric steering? manual steering. man up

How do you know it is a problem with the injector and not a problem with the fuel line or the wiring, or whatever sensor it used to determine that the injector is malfunctioning?

>Protip: You don't.

Go home /g/, you're drunk.

Sounds like you're out of your depth and lazy.

>where the enthusiasts use cars as an extension of themselves, to give themselves an identity embedded in brand choices, consumerism, materialism...

"You are not the computer you type on. It's just a tool. It makes no sense to build an overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 with 128GB of Muskin® DDR5 RAM, and with three 8TB Western Digital® WD Black™ hdds. Just buy an Apple® Macbook Air™ so you can check your Instagram."

Be honest. What kind of car do you drive?

But the mechanical link is STILL THERE. The steering wheel is still directly connected to the steering rack, the brake pedal is still connected directly to the master cylinder. None of that shit has changed and it likely never will because it is reliable. Even if your electric power steering or EBB fails, brakes and steering still work fine.

>working on '96 Tahoe
>need to replace steering gearbox
>entire component and everything around it covered in half an inch of dirt and ps fluid that has leaked from the pump and gearbox
>this is normal operation, I'm only replacing the gearbox because the customer complained it was misaligned and it is
>undo hydraulic hoses after sucking out fluid
>can't get it all so it leaks what's left in the tubes
>subframe and gearbox now slick with road slime
>unbolt gearbox and pittman
>have to tetris the thing out, spilling more fluid out of it in the process
>go to install new one
>bolt it back to the frame and steering gear
>reattach hoses
>fill with fluid
>burp system
>steering wheel has at least 25 degrees of play before the wheels actually move
>I'm told this is perfectly normal and how they were when new

>working on '13 Dart
>removing EPS rack
>it's clean as fuck because there's nothing to leak out of it
>unbolt rack from tie rods
>unbolt rack from firewall
>disconnect 3 electrical connectors
>either tetris it out or do it right and remove front subframe
>just as simple to install
>connect generic scan tool and run EPS relearn
>job done

If that's the case, then just don't buy BMW. Other manufacturers allow more control and generic access.

>wah this company is doing shit i don't like
>but i will still buy their product because it makes me look cool

This is how people end up with Apple shit.

You are forgetting

>ATI video card BECAUSE NVIDIA SUCKS
>Liquid Cooling
>RAID arrays
>Gentoo
>Built in vape charger

etc.

Subaru BRZ Limited

20 year old car is dirtier and wasn't build to the same tolerances as a 3 year old car. HOLY SHIT user, YOU HAVE DISCOVERED SOMETHING NEW.

Scan codes are rather specific nowadays. If you got an injector failure, you'd also get misfire codes to go with your "injector #4 low/open" If you had an "injector problem" and DIDN'T see misfire codes, you could surmise the problem is thus with that injector sensor and not the injector itself.

Electronic diagnosis requires two brain cells to rub together, you can't just look at the shit and expect to understand it from an engineering standpoint, while mech systems are more overt in their method of operation. You need at least a wiring diagram and some idea of how the systems work together.

I own a Thinkpad for coding. All of that is mainstream garbage.

I can't help doing it so many times being a STEM major.

>"y-you're just mad"
>/r9k/ memes
Face it, your hobby is soon to be gone. Even CVT has taken over for a while now.

>thinkpad
>not mainstream

The discontinued IBM ThinkPad's, not the modern Lenovo models.

Dont you see the parallels though?

You're using outdated technology because you're comfortable with it and it works for you.

We like driving old mechanical cars because we enjoy it.

>Even CVT has taken over for a while now.
> STEM major
discontinued IBM ThinkPad's

so is this how hip youngsters are now'days?

why do we keep falling Veeky Forums we used to be a bunch of elitist faggots and it was good. now little shits like this come in

A laptop is not the same as a car being driven by a maniac that swerves in traffic for selfish joy with no regard for the well being of others. Sorry, I can't see the parallels.

>so is this how hip youngsters are now'days?
No, that would be Macbooks. Go to /g/ and visit the programming general to learn a computer language like Python or C++. You'll need it considering where civilization is headed, that is, if you don't want to be left behind in your rusty Miata next to the other Teslas on the road.

How the fuck is this a valid comparison

>Should we worry about it or nah?

My car has a version of "Teen Driver Mode" which various brands seem to be starting to include which I can set since I am the owner with the master passcode. So if I loan the car out (not necessarily a teen), it will report on a lot of stuff including the time, gps listed driving path, how good a driver (weaving, jackrabbit starts, close calls with other cars/pedestrians via sensors, how many times the person drove on the lane markings instead of inside the lane, non-use of turn signals, speeding on major roads), whether or not seat belts used, and i can set a max speed limit, etcetera. Since the car phones home all the data, I can get it updated to my smartphone app and get updates not quite in real time. I also get email alerts if something strange happens to the car like an accident. I can even watch the car's stats down to things like tire pressure.

Importantly, since the car has multiple microphones in it, even the police can get a search warrant to secretly turn them on to listen in. My smartphone is linked to the car via bluetooth, so the police can access my smartphone too just like I can using the car's voice activated calling and conversation.

The police have commanded Onstar cars to stop before. The car safely tapers off the fuel to the injectors, thus avoiding causing an accident if the engine was simply shut off or if the brakes were slammed on. My car gas-by-wire and transmission-by-wire. The steering has electrically assisted power steering but still has a direct connection to the wheels, so at least the police cannot steer me to the police station or hackers command me to drive over a cliff.

I suppose steering by wire would be a good plot item in the next Detective Conan anime.

>Don't several recent American cars have on-board Wifi now?

GM put on-board WiFi with the 2016 Malibus. I have that. 4G speed is good and the router can reach someout beyond the car. I've been able to connect to my car from inside my house and get 3.5 to 4.5 megabits / sec speed and hold it more or less. It's an expensive plan depending on what deals you managed to get. I have choices of $10 per month for 1Gbyte, $20/mo for 5GB, $30/mo for 10GB. If you are driving with other cars near you, you can share the WiFi with them of course. If you pick a good router name, hang on to it. I was an early adopter, so almost every possible name was available to me as a choice. Just think if warcraft just started up and you had your choice of unique name in a system that required every name to be different.

My laptop is able to connect to my car while sitting in my neighbor's car across the street. So I've proven that much at least. To stop hackers, you have to insert the ignition key and turn to at least full accessory position. Otherwise the WiFi router is powered off.

>From steering to braking, computers are increasingly taking over the car as the years go by.

You turn the steering wheel in futility as the car ignores you since it is drive by wire. The car is heading somewhere. You stomp the gas pedal but it is electronic braking and you have no effect. The windows don't open and the locks are bolted shut. Turning the ignition key doesn't work because the car was commanded on remotely.

You finally end up at the police station. The two officers standing outside escort you in to pay your 8 parking tickets. It has been six months and you have been charged with scofflaw status. Thus the court ordered Tesla/Onstar to hand you over.

You tell us if you're so inclined to post.

It may have been a 20 year old car (read: truck), but the steering gearbox I replaced was itself a replacement that was installed just 6 months prior. That said, they were both reman'd gearboxes and while I would't expect the same tolerances, the ease of dis/reassembly made the electronic Dart with it's "complex" and "proprietary" computer system so much easier to work on.

>You turn the steering wheel in futility as the car ignores you since it is drive by wire.
nope, you have a mechanical steering linkage connected to the steering rack and the electric motor only provides assist, allowing you to interrupt the autodrive at any time.

When will you idiots realize that drive-by-wire steering is not used on any modern car?
Did you hear about the Tesla autopilot crash? That linkage is not going away.

>You stomp the gas pedal but it is electronic braking and you have no effect.
Maybe try stomping on the brakes. If it's a GM, and the ECU detects throttle application and brake application at the same time it will cut fuel and stop. You can thank Toyota's "runaway" Priuses for this "feature".

>8 parking tickets and somehow the car was not booted or towed last time
fuck the police and fuck you

What if that laptop owner is driving around a neighborhood in a van, connecting to unsecured wifi and stealing personal info?
Some people wardrive for fun so not all laptop owners are criminals, just like some car owners are safe drivers even if they break the speed limit.

Except the scan tools don't say anything like this, more like, "maybe it's any of the components in this one subsystem, unless it's some weird ass glitch that makes no goddam sense whatsoever" like my open brake light circuit that somehow caused traction control and active handling to shit themselves whenever I signaled a left turn.