SHTF Vehicle?

I have 15K to spend on a vehicle, What is one of the most hard headed, will not die vehicles? I was thinking somewhere in the Jeep Brand. Like a XJ which will leave me with money to add some toys to it. Any ideas?

>wanting an unreliable vehicle for SHTF
Wew

Literally a road bike with minor offroad capability and storage with gear and parts and tools with the rest of it.

You'll be way more SHTF capable than with any 4 wheel vehicle.

>XJ
>Unreliable

Shove a mechanical 12BT and 1 ton axles under an old Suburban.

Xj is really that bad?

depends on how you look at it. on an xj everything's guaranteed to break but the engine and the transmission. that could be good or bad depending on the priority.

also true. hard to beat the portability and fuel mileage. you'll be traveling extra light though, and by yourself.

solid axle
body on frame
4X4
airtight seals for cabin, filtration from closeable vents on roof. make sure seals are watertight to a depth equal to the height of the truck.
snorkel intake for engine
winch
inline 6 carbureted engine
beef up the drivetrain as much as you can afford
exocage
seats and harnesses

Pick both
Yes. The steering column will literally fall in your lap while at freeway speeds

You say the steering column shit every time, I've had 3 xj' all over 250k miles and that's never happened

What about a 80s Toyota 4runner? hear those are decent.

No, they're one of the last good vehicles Jeep made.

Seconded. Bikes of some sort would be a lot easier to maintain in the event of SHTF. Better gas, easier to maintain, easy to pull out of tight spots/mud. Unless you expect to live in your car in a SHTF scenario, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do plan on that, buy an older Chebby or GMC rape van and convert the interior to a mobile home and have a dirtbike either on top or being towed.

I should of said this in the first place but, i live in a rather snow bound area (Northern US) thats why bikes slip my mind.

There are tsb's, recalls, vids on how to repair it, consumer reports complaints, countless forum posts about it.
Fuck off heep fag

15k gets you a really clean older heavy duty pickup. Pick one with a popular engine and you'll never have to worry about finding parts. This beast only had 27k miles on it

1st gen 4runner is great. Better if you find an EFI model.

Are you permanently fucked if you have those mirrors and want to take them off?

Used to have an XJ, pic related. What questions do you have about them?

>going very far on 9 mpg during shit hitting the fan

Might as well suggest a cargo truck.

They handle well in the snow/ Are they as bad as the anons said above?

Thats how it works though with trucks. You can go 9mpg reliably just about anywhere.

>All these 4x4s
>SHTF starts
>Traffic
>need to abandon it to get anywhere

lel

>people actually fell for the preping meme

Lmfao. Come on now.

you stay in the bunker until the initial happening finishes, then emerge with a reinforced plow mounted to push abandoned cars from the road

true the 460 is a thirsty girl but it does have 2 gas tanks so range isn't an issue

They're perfectly fine. Put a locker up front and get some half-decent tires and you'll be fine in anything that isn't better off for snowmobiles.

Go with something diesel. Gasoline's shelf life isn't nearly as long as diesel. Not to mention you can get some like 12v Cummins that's all mechanical. A 4bt Cummins would be best, but they're harder to come by in something that's not a bread truck.

Don't. Bug in > bug out unless you're a city fag.

go unnaground

I've gone over this in past SHTF threads but it never sticks, so I'll go over it again here.

Picture a SHTF scenario in your head. What do you see? Abandoned, flipped over, burning vehicles littering every road.

Why do you picture this? Not because it makes sense. You picture this because it's what media does to create a dystopian apocalyptic atmosphere. It's an easy approach to set set the mood, so they pretty much always use it. The only other approach is entirely empty roads, but that always ends up just feeling like an empty low budget set, which is usually what it is.

Now, there's two pros to a motorcycle in such a situation. The first is long distances on low fuel because fuel is no longer in production, so pro, right? The second is fitting in between all those abandoned vehicles.

>not preparing for natural disasters

wow you must be a cityfag

I know, but abandoned cars on the road.

But what if everyone didn't hop in their cars and go riding around with no destination until the streets are full and the world runs out of fuel? Then the streets wouldn't be full, and the fuel supply wouldn't be so terrible. There's both advantages right out the window. But surely it's still usable, if for no other reason than to help define yourself as a rugged independent outdoorsman, right? Well let's look at the potential cons of a motorcycle.
No protection. It's likely that you're not the only one left alive. So you probably don't want a vehicle that would allow a hostile pedestrian to clothesline you, hang up wires to dismount you, or have your full body in view to shoot at with ZERO protection from said projectiles.
No capacity. You've got enough fuel, food, and water for a pleasure trip. Not enough to stock up for a month's time in a single trip.
Lack of camping safety. Say you camp in the woods. In an SUV if you wake up to rapidly approaching hostiles, you crawl from the bed in the back to the driver seat, start it, and go without ever having to exit the vehicle and without leaving anything behind. With a motorcycle, you frantically try to escape your leaf tint while said hostiles kill you and take your bike to supplement the use of their more important and more practical 4x4(s).

Not too worried about size, i dont live in the city. there is no traffic, Heavy traffic is 12 cars at a stop sign.

You raise a good point, i personally would like to use it not only as a "oh shit the world is ending" vehicle but if i want to use it for the Winter/Hunting trip.

3rd gen is #1.

I own and recommend.

Most are a bit rusty though incl mine.

Toyota Hilux with a canopy and reinforcement mods. Can't go wrong with those IMO. Definitely my choice in that situation.

>What is one of the most hard headed, will not die vehicles? I was thinking somewhere in the Jeep Brand
literally laughed out loud when I read this
fuck off

6bt you mean? Or did they make a 12er hnnnng

Yea, holes would be left in the doors. The 93-96 had optional intergrated mirrors were the position vents are.

Alcohol and sleep deprivation are getting to me. Yes, 6BT.

Really though, fuck off being a survivor in a post apocalypse world.

If i survive my plan is to drive/walk the 5km to the Porsche dealer in town then see how far I get before i an hero at 200mph.

It is when fuel isn't readily available. In a power outage gas pumps won't work.
Id go for one of these. They made quite a few on them that were designed to run off anything flammable. Out of fuel? Just throw in anything you can find that burns
>Gas
>Diesel
>Kerosene
>Motor oil
>Trans oil
>Hydraulic fluid
>Jet fuel
>Fry oil
>Jack Daniels
>Perfume

80 series cruiser, gen 2 pajero, y60 patrol

Solid bet in all of those.
As long as the Cruiser's a 1HZ powered version.
HZJ105 are also acceptable and more accommodating.

depends on climate and location. if shit really really goes wrong than the benefit of diesel is that it's brewable with a bit of skill. Going with an underpowered no turbo diesel would be the best bet in that case.
I personally prefer the second gen pajero, mostly for it's appearance, but also for the slick way the car was built, as if I would have built it myself for myself if you get me.

Oh I'm no stranger to 2nd gen Pajeros, and mine has the perfect combo for the context of the thread IMO.
As hardy as 4M4x diesels are however, the 1HZ is probably more idiot proof option...

I'd stick with the Paj aswell though.

Suzuki Samurai.

Goes anywhere. Good MPGs. Crazy reliability and easy to work on. Parts and mods relatively easy to find.

>Goes anywhere.
No, it doesn't.

>Good MPGs
Not when you load it down.

>Crazy reliability
Not when you load it down.

>Parts and mods relatively easy to find.
Not when you lose the ability to order them online.

10/10 would witness

well its a chrysler

This for damn sure

Find a k5 blazer with the diesel motor. Mine has 315k on the clock all original. 15 mpg with 31`s. If you can find one of the old military k5, they have the 3/4 ton axles under them.

Toyota Land Cruiser or a Taco.

>If you can find one of the old military k5, they have the 3/4 ton axles under them.
No, they don't.

The CUCV pickups were 1 ton K30s D60/14B uprated to 1 1/4 ton because of the deeper gears and upgraded springs. The CUCV blazers did not get the same treatment, they had stock 10 bolts front and rear.

i just sold my 05 chevy astro cargo to put down on a eurovan
not sure if it was a good idea

A bicycle. Only a few moving parts, light, easy to fix, goes anywhere, can be picked up and carried if the tires sink into the ground.

If you have to go further, you can put it in a car and drive somewhere first.

>getting an XJ over a 4runner
Lmao

>wanting ball join failure
Lmao

>depends on how you look at it. on an xj everything's guaranteed to break but the engine and the transmission. that could be good or bad depending on the priority.

SHTF and you have engine problems, just hop on over to the dealership to get it fixed, righto?

Even if dealerships existed, the XJ would've overheated and thrown all its coolant out.
Gotta hand it to the old AMC six though, cylinder head or gasket failure isn't common even if you've cooked it.