>post anything BMW

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_vHL6_kvgtg
m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/
m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

E9X was the last good BMW

I'll be at Watkins Glen this Sunday, getting some photos of those M6 GTLMs.

Any recommendations for a low-mid range strut bar? Only needs to be street-spec.

>10 years later
>the F3X was the last good BMW!
Same shit different year

E30 masterrace reporting

[spoiler]>tfw bent hood[/spoiler]

>wheels are shaking
>Take car to mechanic to have wheels balanced and the shake looked at
>Get car back with mechanics approval
>Wheel still shakes
>Balance again to make sure
>Mechanic says wheels are fine.

>Take to smaller garage owned by friendly Armenian guy
>Brother, your front right wheel is crooked, I put it in back so wheel not shake, rear just look funny.
>Spotted that shit in 20 minutes, fixed it for free.

Whelp guess I know who I'm going to next time.

Why, because it was N/A?

I'd argue that the e46 was the last good one because dat i6

God tier euro E30 here. Currently in shitbox mode

Any suggestions on the best place in the US to find an LCI 750il (1999 - 2001) with a bad engine / transmission?

I'm about 70% done with a full rebuild of an M73, and looking to drop it into another car, but everything I find for sale is running or pre-lci.

Try looking around on Bmw forums, ask the local garages etc.

That's what I've been doing, haven't had a whole lot of luck.

Did find a 2000 silver on black with a bad engine and trans, destroyed interior, and sections missing from the electrical harness for 4K. Not even close to worth it.

Sad too, because for as close to I am to being ready, I'd have actually paid $2500 for it.

BMW sucks. Unreliable. Horrible image. Dumb Nurburgring hype. Tanner Faust wannabes. Ugly. Automatic.

Seriously there's nothing to like.

E90 also had I6.

You can anyways low ball them, talk about how much it'll cost to fix all that shit.

Plus it helps if the ad is old, you can use that as proof for the argument that the price is too high

I don't know why but I presumed he meant the m3

Yeah, I tried. They were 4K, and I walked away when I heard "I know what I have".

Oh well, it'll happen when it happens.

Craigslist is full of ruined cars so look there.

Every day I still love it. Second one...

aha, thanks! Was thinking that myself but it sounded a bit weird in my head

just get a strong strut user

thats what everyone on bimmerforums shills

if thats too pricey, i think raceland offers a strut brace for E36's

>US spec M3

I really do feel for my American BMW loving brothers.

>god tier
>still NA
What's holding you back?

>323i
>in 'merika

Kek.

Take the head and put it on a 325e 2.7 block. Ditch the fuel injection and go Motronic or Megasquirt.

>Megasquirt

I'd prefer Vems myself, more functionality and better support.
Though MS has a lovely DIY community, I'll give you that

Megasquirt is the cheapest aftermarket EMS, that's really the only reason to go with it unless you like building, troubleshooting and tuning yourself. I'm not but I push megasquirt because I've been building and tuning it for more a decade and I'm good with it, I'm big into self-reliance and think that building and tuning your own engine management system is top level car enthusiast stuff, right up there with doing your own bodywork.

>tfw you hear a small rattle when engine is idle

>belt squeal
>valves ticking
>exhaust hangers failing

>buy it
>driving around, no strong feelings about it
>sharp turn to loopy onramp onto highway, decide to push it a little
>instantly fall in love

Does anyone know of any good owner's guides or similar? Not a service manual but maybe some tips on servicing, care, and things to look out for? Also maybe a good code reader since I've been told it's basically mandatory for this car

Just finished soldering up a cheap ADS interface so I can scan/program modules on my OBD1 e36.

Now to get DIS to work...

Pointless add-on for pointless people.

>tips on servicing
Yeah, have fun with those rod bearings.

You'll need a service manual if only for reasons to diagnose shit so you wont get ripped off by the dealer.

Any recent BMW TIS should cover it.

Cosmo Racing.

Of course everyone on BF shills something that probably hasn't been in production for a decade.

Yeah not as nice of engine sound and the HP statistic is a notable difference but for only a tiny drop in performance and we got an enhanced chassis too all for $20k less in early 90s prices. And in the long run, who got the engine better to maintain? I guess I'm saying it really isn't all that much to complain about, people who really care about extreme power build them up crazy regardless of which engine it is.

While I do acknowledge that it may be so on a stock car, it may very well help reinforce the towers with the addition of coilovers. That is my concern. If I wanted to stiffen the chassis I would get an X-brace.

That actually sounds like a good choice, thanks!

M1s at Gurnigel last season.
youtu.be/_vHL6_kvgtg

If we got the Euro E36 M3 in America they wouldn't have sold 26,700 of them in a time when Americans weren't buying sports cars. The US E36 M3 was the best sports car for price/performance the late 1990s because it cost almost $10-20k less than a comparable Japanese Turbo Sports Car. Even with only 240hp it was still featured against MKIV Supras and 911s

Thinking about picking up a good condition 325xi wagon with 170k for $4k. Clean carfax and documented service history. I don't really care about the lower power compared to a 328 or 330, I just want a comfy and spacious daily because I do a lot of traveling.

Aside from the radiator/cooling system issues, is it due for a major service? I should have $2k left over after I buy it for anything major.

>implying you cant still get a strong strut

E9x came force fed as well, 335i is the n54 3.0 i6 twin turbo

My turd.
E36 325i
Neo motorsport coilovers
E46 arms/ modded knuckles
Welded diff
Delrin drivetrain bushings/mounts
Polyurethane suspension bushings.

>automatic
you misspelled "one of the last brands that still makes manual sports sedans/coupes"

Never heard of them. Why did you choose Neo?

F3X is numb as fuck to drive compared to the E9X. The E9X is only slightly worse than the E46 in that but it's made up for with the power and interior.

see above. Also E9X had an I6 and a turbo on the 335i

Considering buying one in a year and test drove the E90, some thoughts (from a 370z/Miata owner if relevant)

-Power is a little underwhelming (328i, like fuck I'm dealing with the 335i shitting out on me constantly) although it's decent and consistent due to the I6's flat torque curve. It's not fast or slow, maybe "quick"
-Steering is heavy as fuck
-I still cannot find the reverse gear on BMWs continuing the tradition from my friend's Z3
-Interior feels a bit cheap for a 2011 muhgermanluxury car, even if it's entry level. Mostly because of all the hard plastic around the radio/climate control area that's reminiscent of a 80s Toyota.
-Base model seats are ass; if you're going to put leather in then make it nice and soft, otherwise cloth would be preferable. Maybe if I adjusted it better things would be different.
-Unsure of the handling since every car I've owned either handled really well or was lmaopigfatcantturn (S197 Mustang GT, hurr). I'm also buying an E92 and drove an E90 so I'm hoping the coupe's handling is better.
-Shifter is obnoxious; we have a long vertical throw but gears are laterally crammed together; kept hitting 4th instead of 6th. The shifter itself is nice and smooth though.

[/blog]

>(328i, like fuck I'm dealing with the 335i shitting out on me constantly)
Stopped reading there. You're obviously a retard who just wants MUH BADGE MUH STATUS, go buy a used Mercedes CLA

The N54 is an expensive, problematic turd and five minutes on the internet would tell you that. I don't want a CLA because one, they're numb as fuck and pigfat to drive, two, don't come in manual, three, I despite Mercedes as a company, four, don't like the interiors etc.

You can yell badgewhore all you want but I'm well aware the BMW badge is associated with retards, especially on coupe models and as such I could do with it. The E92 has basically everything I want in a car sans a little lack of power; if I just wanted to badgewhore I'd get a 996 or something.

>I could do with it
without*

>HURR DURR CLA NUMB AND PIGFAT
>wants a shitmodel BMW that is about as fun to drive as a Camry
Go away

Do you just type random nonsense hoping it'll make sense? I can tell you're the kind of idiot to buy the cheapest E36 you can find just so you can hang around these threads and shitpost.

Wrong. Leave

(You)

Is this your DD? I was thinking of welding the diff in my 316i shitbox for lulz and after rain skidz. I don't think I'll do it in the end because I can't afford bi-monthly tire changes and I don't really want to kill myself yet.

In other news, I've finally found the right wrench thing to remove the screw in my glovebox but it's raining right now. I'll take it apart tomorrow and replace the cabin air filter soon (TM).

I'd love to have a garage.

A-am I a badgewhore for driving a 325i E36?

Does anybody have a comprehensive list of what comes standard on the E92 but not the E90?

m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/
m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/

Rod bearings and Vanos lines are the headlines.

My co worker got a set on his m3 and I was blown away at how good the ride was. I got 8k/10k spring rates and I'm super happy with them. I've only driven it at 3 events so far but they're holding up well.

Hmm well seems that on the only site that sells them they are no longer listed.

I'm still pretty set on ST XTAs for my M3. Linear in front and progressive in the rear. They have yet to release stats but I think I heard the fronts are around 8k.

Relax, badgewhores are people who drive shitty leased base models or people that like the car but don't do work on it or know anything about cars in general.

tfw boyos

Put another 500 miles on her this weekend though!

Disgusting.

>mfw I realized how slow convertible E46 M3s are

wishing my 318 was a little quicker, thinking of light weight flywheel, coil on plug conversion and a catback exhaust and being done with it?

already sitting on coil overs + cold air intake with K&N filter and has changed the car a lot. Much more responsive but the original dual mass flywheel defiantly feels like a bottleneck.

Must have been Hecho en Mexico.

You think it really is more responsive? I had an aFe on my old M3 and couldn't tell the difference. I'm not bothering getting another, it was nearly half the cost of a track pipe.

I know that on car's with the m44/m42 engine the original air box is so damn restrictive. BMW made it that way to be quiet, but the car definitely pulls more and is a lot more rev happy. It's a fun light car to go through some twisties now.

lol haha epic fails bro)))

I guess in that case it may help. It did sound nice though. I may at least take my hood insulation off again.

What do you expect when you take care of your car so poorly that it has rust?

Is that their wedding band?

Looks like Beans from Even Stevens.

I live very close to her and I saw this car a lot.

Oh no...

Luckily searching for "Beans Even Stevens gender bender" has produced no results.

>What do you expect when you take care of your car so poorly that it has rust?

normal people don't keep their eye on subframe rust, especially in northern statez.

Don't care

Only a few hours until the drive to Watkins Glen begins. Then when I'm finally back to the West Coast I can mate some ST XTAs and spacers to my car!

The question is... what do I go for next... track pipe or LTW wing?

Maybe after those I'll be satisfied enough to waste money on one of those black and yellow 60s style plates.

don't rice your car user

even if its an LTW wing

keep it stock, its a cleaner and more respectable look.

why is that front diffuser sticking so far out? would look nicer if it was slightly closer, are those ones adjustable? I think LTW wings look cool with a rear diffuser, it makes the car look aggressive.

anons info is correct, very fine line between ricing and going for that 'performance' look. Really depends on what the car is used for.

I could care less.

>Finally save up shekels for suspension refresh on my E36 M3

Anything else I'm missing?

Already have rear shock mounts + reinforcements, rear shock bolts, rear shocks/springs, and front tophats + a set of coilovers. Gonna go with OEM Solid Rubber FCAB Bushings.

Go Turner!

finally did the fucking brake rotors ive been putting off for like four months

i think the fronts had not been changed for 50k miles and the rears for 60k, fronts had a pretty noticeable lip

>almost doing
>doing the rear driver side
>slip while tightening caliper guide pin
>slice the tip of my finger on the dust shield
>looks deep, real deep. dash inside and wash + apply pressure + hold above head + bandage it
>it can feel it moving around a dead later
didn't do stitches because it really wasn't bleeding much at all but it feels like it sliced off the very tip of my finger and left a flap of flesh connecting it
im not removing this bandaid for another like three days at least

>almost done*
>a day later*
apparently i hit my head too

>oem instead of powerflex ever
stop

E34 525TD any good? Need a daily work commuter that has room to haul shit and won't break down on me as I'll be doing 200+ km a day. Petrol will not be an option.
Money is also an issue because I own a 750 that will be burning all my leftover cash, so an E39 530d also won't be an option.

I was wishing the same thing about my beater e36 M3. probably going to do an uprated clutch and small turbo and be done with it.

pls respond

I loved the e34 wagon body style when I had one.
Power seats break all the time though. old loose steering boxes suck.
No experience with the diesel because murica

Don't forget new motor/trans/shifter mounts.
Get the OE BMW strut tower reinforcements so yours don't mushroom and crack

Owned 2 E34 sedans, first one was an M20B20 1988 model with absolutely no equipment aside for LSD, so nothing to break.
Second one was a 1992 sedan with the M50B20 non vanos and power everything, everything worked and it was sturdy as fuck, perfect hoon mobile.

i think the e92 gets the sport steering wheel by default, as well as xenon headlamps instead of halogen
and the sport package for the e92 gets somewhat stiffer springs and some other slightly more sporty stuff
also power seatbelt handing things, its a little motorized diddly that pushes the seatbelt strap forward when you start the car so you dont have to awkwardly reach behind your head to get it

Already have rear strut mount reinforcement plates and did my trans/shifter 2 months ago, and my rear shock towers are already cracked lol. Front, mine's a 97 so it should have the factory plates. Would it make sense to double up on them though? 2 reinforcement plates vs one?

I'll order new motor mounts in the next order. Probably from PelicanParts since they're $20 cheaper even after 10% off.

Probably not. Some people recommend getting a front strut brace to sandwich them from both sides. You can see a nice outline of the camber plates the previous previous owner had on my 95 lol

Wear gloves bro

>wishing my 318 was a little quicker, thinking of light weight flywheel, coil on plug conversion and a catback exhaust and being done with it?
Spend all of that money and it will still be slower than an automatic 325. Just save up for a better car or turbo it. (I have a Turbo M42, wish I had a better engine).

>any good
If you're ok with it being slower than a Corolla.

>If you're ok with it being slower than a Corolla.ยจ
It will be a commuter and work car, so it matters fuck all if it's fast or not.
Diesel cars will be cheaper if you drive a lot, as long as it doesn't catastrophically break down every other day.

E39 a cute

I am close to getting a e34 525i from 90'.

Do you have any input on the model?