Cams...2012 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Performance model

I know nothing about cars or engines.

So I saw a 300 the other day and it had that distinctive muscle car rumble to it that was very throaty. I like the sound and heard that it is accomplished by installing an aftermarket cam.

Is there any performance increase? I am not going to do it just for the sake of the sound, cool as i find it.

How much do these things generally cost? What are the different 'stages', and what do they mean?

I heard there is idling problems with some. Which is the best choice for a daily driver car?

Do you need to modify the exhaust to accomplish the distinctive sound?

I am looking for a sound similar to this

youtube.com/watch?v=9quMtob76z0

And the most important question is: is this safe to do and does it fuck up your car long term if you do it? Is it worth doing?

Also any other information would be helpful.

>yes I have googled the majority of these questions and get conflicting answers on most of them, since I know nothing about it I figured I would ask here since I may get more consistent answers.

Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ypIV8BVNi2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think you have some research to do senpai. Those questions all suggest you don't really know what a cam even does.

Watch a few episodes of Engine Masters

There are no aftermarket cams for 3.6 engines

Get a V8, Son.

Thanks for the no help.

At least you gave me a bit of useful information before you became a cunt, son.

> wanting a gas guzzling V8

Ugh , no thanks !

I regret not getting the cts-v

I'm definitely getting a v8 next time.

People that are buying luxury cars aren't worried about gas prices faggot, just an fyi.

That was probably a 300C with a Hemi V8, hence the muscle car rumble. You should have bought a CTS-V.

Yeah, I kinda regret not doing that actually...

I'm not getting rid of this car though because I already dumped a bunch of money into it in other shit and I know I will never get back.

Now I could always buy another car... Not necessarily a cts-v.

What's a v8 car around 10k that would be easy to make fast?

Or should I just buy one that is already done.

>Thanks for the no help.

Sorry I didn't feel like typing out a full page of info when it's available in milliseconds from thousands of places on the internet, INCLUDING Comp Cams, if you could merely be fucked to google "aftermarket cam"

It's obvious you had no intention on answering any of my questions.
So the point of responding was to validate yourself in some way? Cool, you exist, you can go now. Thanks for the no help with a side of derail.

>V6

you can do everyone a favor and kill yourself

I did answer your question. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

You asked:
>how do cams work

I politely explained that you should just fucking google it

My last 2 cars where v8s...

Or I can just buy another car.

I was thinking an old cop car or camaro. It looks like you can get them for under 5k, and that's doable.

I already told you that I did google it. If you have no intention of having a discussion with me about cams that has more substance then 'hurrrrpy derrrpy but gaynon you have internet and the google y u not look ther? user? whyyyyy'

That's you, that's what you sound like.

why are you still here.

>inb4 you tell me to google about P71s

fucking autist

Not him but learn to Google better m8

>P71
Well at least you'd fit in with the owners club around here, given that you know nothing about cars

I've concluded that either neither of you know, or you'd rather berate me than give me helpful advice.

Thanks cunts!

I'm sort of glad I don't, you seem to be a very welcoming bunch to those that are new. Again, thanks for nothing...

You could have just said

>you can't do that with that car

At least one of you isn't completely useless.

OP either you are trolling or are the cunt yourself. If you have to ask what a cam does and are considering putting one in a v6, then you shouldn't even consider it. I understand not having knowledge about such things, but how did you google it and not find what you are looking for? And you say you know nothing about cars, so why go asking about cams? Best to do some research yourself, find a cheap LS (camaro, trans am) and start from there. They are good learner cars. But start with bolt ons. Internal engine shit is a whole nother ball game, especially for someone who claims to know nothing. There are cams for various degrees of usage. If you're looking for more sound you can have a cam spec'd for that. But I would highly suggest you spend a lot of time on Google.

this guy probably hasn't driven a v8...

I don't really spend something like 10k on cars personally so my advice would be to keep your CTS for now and also buy a second car cheap to fuck around with - that's the Veeky Forums way.

For a guy like you I'd say LS400

youtube.com/watch?v=ypIV8BVNi2I

I'm thinking about getting a CTS 3.6 2012 or 2013 ...can you give me a rundown of the good and bad on it?

3.6L Cadillac engines have early timing chain failure, sell that piece of shit now.

Look it up.

Which particular 3.6 are you referring to? You can't be this dumb

>hurr durr 2 city mpg is worth the lack of sound and aftermarket

Eat a dick faggot, look for yourself you lazy shitter.

Alright listen up you faggot.
Stop googling about your engine and start googling about cams and what they do. You'll quickly learn it has to do with the exhaust, intake, and a lot of valves. It's all about how long those valves are open for and when they're opening. They give increases in power but can compromise driveability. That's all the info I'm giving you, Google "learn about camshafts" if you want to know more.

Veeky Forums provides answers for those willing to learn and not wanting the easy way out. You want a simple short answer without learning anything and you want someone to take your hand and lead you to the perfect thing. Well go fuck yourself? We want you to become educated in how am engine works and if you're even semi-intelligent you'll understand in under 15 minutes just by reading a little.

>CTS 3.6
>Performance
Pick one.

You're never going to make a V6 properly sound like a V8, either.
I'm also betting you don't actually know what a camshaft does. Just a little bit of advice: You have to remap your ignition timing if you change cams. If you don't know how to do that then don't fuck with your cams.

Forget to take your pills, champ? Everything alright at home? Get it off your chest

> cam swap for sound
> zero torque below 4000 rpm
> hence zero power or acceleration below 4000
> terrible fuel consumption
> have to set idle high
> terrible emissions
> unless tailored to every other mod custom will be highly inefficient