German Engineering Thread

BMW can build a 420bhp 4.0 V8 with an oil filter on top of the engine which you can change in less than a minute.

youtube.com/watch?v=Iwy8eIn6z2A

How come your 60bhp shitbox needs the oil filter hidden away underneath the car which requires half an hour, an assortment of clamps and tools, bloody hands and you screaming to change it?

German engineering proving its superiority again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n8LUGAOguW0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7-S_EKaiQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tonnes of cars have oil filters up the top you inbred.

you ever worked on an "everyday" German car Op? I have and they're a fucking nightmare. the "German engineering" thing is a meme. they overcomplicate everything and make certain things almost impossible to get to. normal rear bumper I can get off in 20min with no instructions. takes me close to 2 hours for a German car with instructions trying to play a scavenger hunt trying to find all the fucking bolts holding it in, which there is no reason for because the bumper is a fairly common thing to remove and should not be that difficult. not only that but this x5 I did needed the plastic rivits broken off to remove it. a 60,000$ vehicle and you have to break plastic rivits to get a fairly common trim piece off? they could have easily used push clips to do the same thing.

german memengineering needs to stop being encouraged.

No, you just don't need to touch any car. Everything you touch breaks.

>German Engineering
youtube.com/watch?v=n8LUGAOguW0
>Japanese Engineering
youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7-S_EKaiQ

thx man share this two vids, convincing that the japs are making it better to maintain. The fact tht one is a 4cyl and other V8 is a thing, but it looks cleary more doable on that civic.

German engineering is $148 for a fucking thermostat on my audi a4

The best example I've seen that
exemplifies German ridicilous overcomplicated and over engineered "superiority" is a video I saw of a Panther tank 3/4 the way built and finished by the british when the plant was captured. The tank has a pair of small chains on the side of it. The british made chain links are twisted pieces of metal that any gorilla could make. The german made chain had linksthat were individually welded. They both did the same job but the german chain took a welder to make.

ITT: Butthurt jap crap rivers crying that they can't afford a well engineered German motor

Who else find german cars horribly underpowered for the price that they ask for?

I hate that. Same with Apple products.

I hope Hillary fixes that shit.

Ironic that you post that considering they also made cars that had no dipstick.

The German engineering meme has been outdated for 20 years. We now use our reputation for justify building shit.

t. German

But yet they can't put a dipstick on it. Into the trash it goes.

>upside down filter
>huge mess when changing
>oil starvation at every start
>the engine will last for that 36k tho

You're buying a car, not an engine. At least with European and Japanese performance models you get a complete car, and not an engine wrapped in frozen turds like you get with American brands.

oh god why nobody think of it earlier a socket on the filter goddamn it it would make think so fucking easier
but no you have to struggle to unscrew the filter you barely tightened on the last time

>what is an oil filter wrench

that shit slip all the time

Sounds like you have no fucking clue about what you're actually doing if you're breaking things to remove a basic part like a bumper. I never had any problems, and neither did any of the other guys in my shop. ;)

Compared to what? A Mustang GT with an interior made with the same plastics as a high school cafeteria tray? You're buying more than just an engine, you're also paying for the rest of the fucking car.

>he thinks those are canister filters

>struggle to unscrew the filter

I screwed it on by hand. I can unscrew it by hand.

same here but i just bought a used car like a week ago and the bastard won't come off

>didn't watch the video

>BMW can build a 420bhp 4.0 V8 with an oil filter on top of the engine which you can change in less than a minute.
>But you still have to lift the car to access the drain plug

Wow BMW, you sure are innovative. Now I no longer have to do my oil filter under the car like some sort of barbarian while I remove my drain plug under the car.

That's what you call a huge mess?

Wow unscrewing one screw sure is as big a deal as doing the oil filter upside down.

>Falling for the german car meme.
> muh american cars are unrefined

yet they equal the germans now in handling and performance for considerably less.

>B-but muh interior
> m-muh driving dynamics

The thread isabout an easily changeable oil filter? Yet e92 m3s required 5w-50 oil which is very uncommon and on top that requires gaskets and 2 crush washers that must be replaced, along with a filter design that is again very uncommon, which also needs a special tool to remove. All this for a fucking oil change? Which is made complex for no reason but to force people to give more sheckels to the dealers. This german engineering meme does nothing but make cars more expensive, less reliable, and more of a bitch to work on.

>bashing a car for being low

redneck mo-ran

Why on earth the oil needs to be drained under the car when it can be done by sucking it off.

but you don't need that
gravity works fine

Subaru Forester, etc

Not sayings it's any harder but what's the fucking point if that's the case? And if that's true then why is OP bragging about it?

You still have to jack up the car. What effort is BMW's method saving? Who the fuck changes their oil filter without doing their oil also?

German cars are twice as expensive to fix than maintain, have less issues however when they DO have issues, it costs an arm and a leg to fix or takes twice as long.

Was considering buying a Audi Quattro a few years ago that needed a new cat. Then I looked at the price of parts + what labor I'd have to do to get to it and said nope.

Sweet bait home dog.

>what is decat

Nigger any VAG car you can remove the bumper in 10 minutes, it's piss easy.

BMW backbumpers are a bitch, I'll give you that.

>Not straight piping the bitch when the cats fail

>leaving all the metal shaving and debris in the pan

A bottom filter can be removed without an oil spill. And the tech had to get under the car anyway. The funny thing is, all those plastic BMW parts get degraded with oil contact.

>sucking it off

Google "extended oil drain". Then marvel that it applies almost exclusively to commercial diesel trucks.

>applies almost exclusively to commercial diesel
Because they take like 5-gallons so it makes some economic sense.

> cartridge filter.
Welcome to late-'70's Japanese motorcycle engineering, pic related. Granted, this was quite an improvement over the BritBong system of an "oil flinger" and screen, but it was still messy as fuck and a great way to add dirt as well as oil to your engine.

The crush washers are a German innovation, the Japanese just used o-rings.

>all those plastic BMW parts get degraded with oil contact.
And this is the future of filters... The environmental mandate is for metal-free filters that can be incinerated or recycled with other plastic waste. Whether or not modern plastics can stand up to oil remains to be seen. MB insisted that the plastic cam chain tensioners in my 500SEL were "Lifetime" parts, but it was the lifetime of the parts, not my lifetime...

More like 10-15 gallons.

>oil filter really easy to access
>but it's right next to the transmission drain plug
KHAAAAAR

All makes and models have certain things that are easy to service and things that are a complete pain in the ass to get to. For example my VR6's coil pack, spark plug wires, spark plugs, and serpentine belt are fucking easy to swap out. The same can not be said for a GM transverse V6 car.

>Implying British engineering is any better

German Engineering is why I spent last night soldering my trunk harness after it frayed apart and shorted my locks out. And why my driver's seat won't recline. And why I'm spending the weekend changing my door clips because my door card is about to fall the fuck off.

Well OP, that would be because instead of doing a simple DOHC with both cams running off the front timing belt, the 1.8 20valve ADR uses a chain on the back of the engine with a hydraulic lifter, thus placing the filter closer to the timing chain components, we can ensure that the car gets maximum clean oil for those components first.

Sometimes german engineering is cool tho

I can speak from both sides from jap and German.

>Owned an E34 M5
Sucked ass for the soul reason pervious owner didn't tell us shit and I didn't know anything about cars back then.

>Owned a 1999 E36 M3
Fucking loved it, beat the shit out of it and it was strong as shit. Took it off road, raced and drifted almost everyday. Only problems I had was the oem alternator failing at 170k miles, and oem clutch master & slave failed at 165k because I did a sik burnout. Interior only had a rattle and side skirt clips failed. Went into a ditch drifting and was perfectly fine besides a fog light. Got into an accident at 177k, was able to do one last burnout on the side of the hwy to send her out the way she wanted.

>1997 Lexus SC300
Beat the shit out of it just as much as the M3, best fucking daily. Got it at 99k miles, currently at 110k and so far the only problems I've had is the passenger OS Handle falls off if someone grabs it too hard. And the crank pulley popped off one day but was fixed in my garage same day. Took this car up to tail of the Dragon and it performed way beyond my expectations. Was able to keep up with my friend in his 240sx and his dad's mazdaspeed miata.

Overall, depends on the German car you get. But same applies for Japanese car. I've always considered jap more reliable, but my M3 was a wonderful car.

For some reason, I treated the M3 like shit and it loved it, but other friends babied theirs and It fucked up on them.

Pic related is the M5 with its new owner, one of my good friends. He's put over 4k into it, glad it went to him.

Tfw audi
Tfw engine needs to removed for everything

Actually, my b5 oil change is ridiculously easy though. Easier than my dads old honda and camry

Pic related is the M3

Kinda got off topic so I'll add to it.

>M5
Never worked on it myself so can't say.

>M3
Did as much as I could myself, oil changes were cake because filter location. All repairs and modifications I did were also easy. Only repair I didn't enjoy was the slave cylinder. Master was easier.

>SC300
Oil changes are just as easy, little hard to get to the filter but dosent bother me. Pulley was also really easy. Also installed a header and custom fabbed an entire exhaust. Old rusted studs didn't break from the engine, and only problems I had with it was placement for some of the pipe.

All in all, just do research on what you buy.

yeah plastic shit in the engine is always cool

Pic related, SC300

I just did my master/slave on my E36 M3 which looks identical to yours, just mine is a lux package.

The master was the bitch to do because of all the stupid little pedal switches and clutch spring you had to compress with zip ties.

The slave was easy peasy aside from having to bend in a new hard line from the soft line to the slave cylinder.

How hard are mk4 1.8T GTIs to work on? Like normal cars or kraut space magic?

>tfw my nipponese designed diesel has cartridge fuel and oil filters

Its kinda nice to see whats inside the filter.

Illegal here. If you're caught doing that in my state, they'll impound the fucking thing.

Too bad they don't let you check the dipstick, or remove said filter without their $9000 proprietary tool

Drain the oil and stab it with a screwdriver, then turn.

Why do you need to remove the engine? I don't have to in my B5.

I can reach and change the oil filter in my 70 HP shitbox with my bear hands though.

>The fact tht one is a 4cyl and other V8 is a thing, but
no but

i have that exact tool and had a very sumilar spec e36

shits so cash

anyway on the e90 onwards there is no dipstick to drain it through

This is only true for parts that need to be changed routinely. Try to change the crank case ventilation on an E46.

> yet they equal the germans now in handling and performance for considerably less.
Not quite, but definitely getting there.

My '11 Lincoln MKS(ho) can keep up with a stock E9x 335 in a straight line, but doesn't quite have the handling otherwise.

Haven't ever actually gone against an E60 535, so maybe that's closer, as both cars are full size.

Still miss my V12's though...

Pretty easy depending on what you are doing. All the vac lines/pcv piping is a pain in the ass.

>hidden away underneath the car which requires half an hour, an assortment of clamps and tools, bloody hands and you screaming to change it?
Are people that fucking retarded that they can't remove an oil filter?, I know this bait but fuck

>chain rubbing against plastic to keep its tension and guide it

>my bear hands

This is how all timing chains work you fucking retard.

That doesn't look appealing at all to be h.
Now, I'd be impressed if you could drain from the top...

I guess that's why our shitty pushrods last so much fucking longer, we don't use plastic you fucking mong.

"all timing chains use plastic" - Retarded user 2016

>Now, I'd be impressed if you could drain from the top...

Drive a boat.

S54 uses 10w60.

Mahle filters always include all new gaskets and washers, even a new crush washer for the drain plug.

No special tools required. Oil drain plug and screw that holds down the oil filter housing cap are vertically placed as well which allows me to easilly use a torque wrench to retighten them.

I can change my oil without spilling a single drop of oil.

My 4runner requires the skid plate to be removed unless you want a huge mess when the oil drains. And the oil filter is ALWAYS messy no matter how clean you try to be.

My Acura TSX is the same as well. Very messy with the oil filter being in a tight spot right above the control arm and other various suspension components.

How retarded are you? You know what oil does right? You know that pushrod engines use timing chains right? You know that they use plastic as guides aa well right?

Fucking pleb.

>pic related

Is that your M3? If so please untint those front windows bro, assuming its a manual.

If its an SMG, whatever just do whatever you like with it/go drive it off a cliff.

>That slapping noise means we just need replace those $1.50 plastic bits in your engine sir
>Your total comes to $4529.00. Will that be cash or credit?

I was saying for a lot of things you will need to remove the engine.

Not for oil changes, my b5 is way easy for that. It literally sticks out from the bottom

I bought a VW once, cost me $1500 in brake repairs in the first year by the second year the windows were constantly falling into the door frame and the front two door locks were broken.

I'm just over here like

>leaving all debris in the bottom of the pan
>needing a special pump and not just a 10mm socket

Yes it's mine. And 6MT. Tint is staying.

friendo you work at the uhaul too? Fuck hitches on anything German. Fuck the sand niggers and spics who want them. Just had a faggot roll up wanting a hitch on a prius... and it wasn't for a bike rack..

SUCC

>tbox needs the oil filter hidden away underneath the car which requires half an hour, an assortment of clamps and tools, bloody hands and you screaming to change it?

Cost cutting. Shitboxes usually have filter mounts just machined right into the engine block - no additional parts needed. That's why it's hidden away. But also yeah BMW does thing the way they are supposed to be done (but it cost a bit more because of it ofcourse). Only when you work on BMWs you see that other cars are really shitty in their implementation (cost cutting and "clever" solutions everywhere).

you only have to undo one bolt and wait 5 minutes, compared to pumping 4 liters of oil. you can even change the spark plugs and filter while you wait.

>Environmental mandate
>isntead of washing oil off a piece of metal we're going to burn plastic and oil

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Best post you've ever made

Burning is actually a very clean way to dispose of garbage. Plastic and oil both come from crude oil and are both essentially just hydrocarbons of various lengths which - if burned correctly (high temperature, the right amount of O2) produce CO2 and water. The additional dirty stuff can be filtered out from the smoke. Motor oil is essentially not that different from diesel which is used in engines but also for central heating (and is considered to be very clean compared to wood or coal). Oil is only a problem when disposed into the ground because it takes a long time to naturally degrade and can contaminate the water below ground.

Actually, my 100hp shitbox has an oil filter removable with one hand and only the flexible fuel hose is in the way.
It's even under the intake plenum.

That said, try changing the oil filter on a TL1000s, it's right down the bottom , below a header and oil cooler! Phwoar!

Nah, we don't need more carbon in the air and the time it'll take for it to become oil again is huge in geologic time, so it's better to reuse.

Lmao we're putting carbon in air either way - by heating homes, driving cars, all of that. Burning some trash oil filter is not going to affect that much (look at the weight). The best way to reduce the carbon in the air is to reduce consumption (which nobody wants to do) or reduce population (which is immoral). The other thing that would help is to use more nuclear power.

>that much
You should have ended there.

You're fucking stupid.