News:
1) Long War Studios just released the Long War Alien Pack:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=577474474

2) Evolution Expansion for XCOM: The Board Game:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/its-us-or-them/

3) Long War Studios have released their Laser Weapons Pack and Perk Pack:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=712967878
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=719109968

4) Julian Gollop is working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM. Lobstermen are confirmed.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Piratez mod for OpenXCom:
>openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

XCOM2 modlist, UPDATED!
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

MEGA Mod Library - contains majority of mods from the modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p):
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

Ayys don't surf
>youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
>youtube.com/watch?v=XRU1AJsXN1g
>youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xvx-ixOpgHM
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=659582342&searchtext=Bruiser
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626742882
affinitymagazine.us/2016/04/29/why-it-isnt-as-simple-as-just-walk-away-from-the-screen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pistols are useful

What are some good X-Com like games?

Which xcom games have you played including modded versions and which ones did you enjoy or not.

I don't like the OG X-Com game not my taste

Well then your screwed. I feel like I already said this, so I apologize if I'm just throwing the same opinion at you again. Fact is, most xcom like games are inspired by the original and try to be like it. Modern XCOM clones are a future reality.
Probably gonna have to wait till Xenonauts 2 or Phoenix point.

Okay then how is Xenonaughts? do I have to refit the soldiers after every single mission?

There's that cowboy game, hard west or somthing like that. Dunno if it's good though.

No you don't, though I don't have to recall doing that in x-com either.
The game has some more resemblance to modern xcoms. There is a cover system, and the starting squad at least is only 6 people. Still uses TUs. Most people say they realized part through way they could have been playing x-com instead. Don't really know how this criticism applies to someone who didn't enjoy x-com.

Yeah, heard kinda mixed reviews on that one.

youtube.com/watch?v=xvx-ixOpgHM

wasteland 2

>it ain't me starts playing
>advent troopers go into a ptsd episode

This pleases the Bradford

OG x-com EU was fun back when I played it as a 12 year old, same with terror from the deep. Tried booting it up again but the gameplay is too annoying. They made good streamlining improvements in EU and Long War brought back the clusterfuck of items if you are into that. XCOM2 made most items completely useless since all the AI are so one dimensional.

But I'm over OG x-com now. X1 EU/EW captured some of the feel again with that creepy ambience, and adds fun characters like Bradford, Shen and Vahlen. X2 is a huge step down when it comes to feel of the game, and the characters are way less original, but are passable. I was unfortunately hoping for an exapnded strategy map in XCOM2, pretty disappointed with the 0.50c ipad game we got instead.

i know that Hard West and Skyshine's bedlam are turn based tactics but besides that i have no knowledge about them

Invisible Inc is a turn based stealth tactics, its very fun and i like the corporate espionage theme

Banner Saga also a turn based tactics with a story, the story is interesting but i never finished because xcom 2 came out

hopefully you might find something out of those 4

A completely free mobile game (fallout shelter) had more strategy than XCOM2.

I would have liked to see something of that nature in XCOM2, where invading ayys in the base were handled by staff. Could have been the original style ayys too, set up for suicide attacks.

>All these people who can't enjoy x-com
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The UFO games (Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight) are pretty decent. Combat's real time with pause but the strategic side is the style we all know and love.

There is no good reason for either of those weapon mods not to be in there. What's funny is that I've even recommended MP on account of it being virtually the only mod which tackles T3 successfully to several people so I thought it was already in there. Slapping 'em in now, thanks man.

The LW Perk Pack actually is in, just under gameplay features rather than class mod because I think it does enough to classify it as a minor overhaul rather than a custom class. Same with the Laser Pack. Kind of stupid now that I think about it.

As to the scarcity of class mods I actually used to ask specifically about classes and voice packs in the general a lot because that's what the list was missing, but nobody knew any they thought worth including so I just stuck to the ones I had tried out myself. Same with voice packs. No reason to keep it that way though.

What do the Rogue and Specops do? I haven't played with them, are they balanced or just a fun-run type of deal?

You need this class in your thingy

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=659582342&searchtext=Bruiser

I haven't played with the new SpecOps class(the guy remade it when the LWPerk pack came out) but with the old one it was a stealth based class that could basically go behind enemy lines and slowly take down ayys one by one without losing concealment.

Dope, how does the Bruiser play? Tanky close range brawler type of deal? Updating it right now so could put him in

If you ask me this shit needs to be on the list.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626742882

if its not too late to recommend class mod
i have been playing with the paragon class mod
it uses the LWPP to create a new set of classes that imo are better balanced than the ones LWPP has

What is this jabroni post

Fuck you.

Yes, Bruiser goes in, stacks a bunch of armor and doesn't die. Until 4 sectopods use him for target practice.

Aight, I added Mercenary Weapons, Mk21 Railgun and the Bruiser class to pastebin and steam collection now.
Also put in the Darkholme voice pack

I'm on the fence about SpecOps and Paragon, SpecOps sounds blatantly broken because being allowed to re-use concealment for anything except recon is an immensely powerful tool and Paragon because it's a pretty big thing to include. I'll hold off a little bit until more people chime in on whether it's good or not, or I get a chance to try it out!

xcom2 is so shit

jake is a narcissistic egotistical faggot who wouldn't have a clue about making a good xcom

>Argon

[IT AIN'T ME INTENSIFIES]

What the fuck is going on in this thread ?

There is literally nothing to do right now but wait for the expansion and the occasional mod update. Ain't much to talk about, total conversions are a few months off and overhauls are just coming in.

Do you have a tight ass

pretty flabby

Use the Sword!!

>expansion

wait what ?

oh great, now I'm gonna be 3 expansons behind

That's DLC. There's hints of a full expansion in the works.

have a tank i touched

OW

You seriously molested a fucking King Tiger?

Yes and you best believe I didn't stop there

You sick fuck.

xth for the great Tenguman

Not even this child got away.

Last one

>full expansion in the works.

You mean bug fixes and patching plus DLC.

no, i mean there were files titled 'expansion' with coastal maps in the SDK before it got removed

SO terror from the deep expansion confirmed?

I think it's more likely that terror of the deep is going to be Xcom3, the expansion is going to bridge the gap or something.

XCOM3

>XCOM2 and EU/EW and x-com never happened
>The ayys all came from the bottom of the oceanwhere they have been setting up to claim the earth as theirs
>Bradford in a scuba suit
>Vahlens daughter in a bikini as the scientist
>Vahlen rescue mission
>The mechanic is a SPARK class AI that has become self aware

I think it would be really shit if they pulled the "the previous game didn't happen" shit again. I didn't particularly mind with Xcom2, i thought it was a neat twist but i'd rather see the story move forward. I want Bradford to actually pilot the avenger to an ayy homeworld and rek their shit like he said he would.

It would be cool to attack the ayys on their homeworld, maybe abduct some of their citizens, see how they like it.

You do know he made EU/EW as well, and him nagging Firaxis's higher-ups to death is why we even have a rebooted series in the first place?

Most of that was Gupta, really.

Yeah, to be fair we don't really know who did what. Point is, the core gang who got the ball rolling are still there.

S N E K

I still have this. Good times.

Seeing this screenshot always tickles me since I was 138304365. I mean the other user did all the explaining, so he's the cool dude for sure, but sparking his explanation is still a fun feeling.

Holy shit

I got a fucking Lithuanian

and his name is spelled wrong, per usual

>Combine Lithuanians fighting the Ayys
HL3 confirmed

>Spelled wrong
No, friend, that is simply how they spell it in the FUTURE! It's 2035, the language EVOLVED!

*in a robotic voice*
>PISKIT NAHUI, JUS KOSMOSO NEGRAI BLET!

I don't think the rules of Lithuanian grammar would change so much in 20 years that we would remove letters from the alphabet

>would remove letters from the alphabet
ADVENT streamlining languages, Commander. Eventually they're going to just make sure everyone speaks their own tongue, but they have to take babysteps!

This sounds like something a LITHUANIAN would say

More like LithuAYYnians

The fuck, is this new customization option for the expansion?

what mod??

ICP BULLSHIT

Why did jake cater to these pathetic people

Because he's fucking UNHINGED

Literally just this

JOKAH BAYBEE voicepack when

Shut up, ADVENT Tube knows what they're doing. Cyberbullying Snek is WRONG!

affinitymagazine.us/2016/04/29/why-it-isnt-as-simple-as-just-walk-away-from-the-screen/
BACK THE FUCK OFF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Of course it isn't that simple, you also need to grow a fucking pair, stop being a little fucking bitch and learn how to take bantz.

it's a meme you dip

I haven't outright laughed at something in quite a while, thanks for that. I sincerely hope that situation actually happened.

MAn I cluelessly pulled this shit when I got my first office job after being a construction laborer for 7 years.

I legit didn't think anyone would get offended at being called wankers let alone cunts. I had a huge adjustment period of getting into shit because some princess was upset with the way I talked to everyone.

In the end they trained me up to be a concrete plant operator and now all my concrete truck drivers call me cunt with affection, even the lady one. Quite nice really. Also thought I got paid wrong first week but turns out it pays double.

ADVENT supports ass-sniffing. Why don't you?

I WAN

TO FUCK

THE SNEK

do not huff the ayy ass

I want to REMOVE snek and YOU as well.

BEHEAD

I'm still new to all these mods listed on /xcg/, should I set the minimum soldiers to 10? Or is 4 soldiers fine? I just played my first haven siege mission for my first retaliation and got my poo pushed in

Usually when you start modifying you're campaign significantly, people go for 6 starting squad with upgrades bringing them up to 8 soldiers.

ayy lmao, the muton literally naded himself

Zombie Op gone right.

If you end up installing the entire modlist without doing any kind of counterbalancing, you're going to end up in a weird place. If you feel like you're getting demolished there are other places to start than just raising soldier count though, I find that a lot of the time that just leads to massive steamroll. The difference between 6 and 8 soldiers to play with is staggering.

4 soldiers is fine. If you want to make it a bit easier without going overboard, try one or a couple of these on for size:

- Buff sword damage by 1 across the board
- Buff halfcover to grant 30 defense
- Buff full-cover to grant 45 defense
- Buff Aid Protocol to grant 30 defense to reflect the halfcover buff
- Buff disorient to now apply a 30 aim malus (This also applies to Sectoid mindspin disorient, so not completely broken)
- Buff Repeaters and Hairtriggers by 5% and 10% respectively
- Buff Blademaster to +4 melee damage
- Remove Reaper paintrain damage malus
- Removed Civilians -10 defense malus on terror missions
- Allow utility slots on kevlar to alleviate low tactical flexibility early on

So, I'm trying to play piratez since my cpu decided to start cooking if I put any actual load on it.

What am I supposed to be doing on this watchtower mission? I can't enter the tower and the guard appears to be a harmless dummy.

Also, is boredom really a good reason to throw a black-powder bomb at a squadmate and turn 1/3 of my squad hostile, 5 turns in? Are they always this ADHD?

PirateZ method of keeping you moving is morale drain. Everyone's morale starts at 100, and then drops everyturn until it's below their bravery. Once it's below their bravery it starts to recover.
I know what they are going for, but it definitely feels a bit extreme at times, definitely early game where you only have 6 people and need to be careful.
Killing gives a large morale boost to the entire squad. The battleflag can be used to restore morale. If you feel it's a bit extreme you can bump it down a bit by modifying the PirateZ_Armors.rul file.
Bravery is also a trainable stat.

As for the watchtower, never done that mission. What did the mission description say?

who sat down and thought, "Ok, we're going to let the player encounter enemies tougher than chryssalids that can instantly kill you with their big meaty claws and can only be killed by stabbing the fucker with a lance or nuking them in fucking april"

and then immediately goes "yeah and also we're going to also let them encounter actual chryssalids that float as soon as they encounter an alien base"

It basically said, 'whee, watchtower in the middle of nowhere is an easy target, just that robot to deal with, but maybe we can trick it'

It's a woodland map with a little 3-storey tower and what looks like a robot stood next to it. It acts like a piece of terrain though and I either can't access the tower or I can but I'm too much of a retarded newbie to figure out how the door works. And then derpy mcbombs decided to entertain herself by blowing herself up.

I think you just need to destroy the robot.

Well there was this bug in the original orginal x-com that automatically set the difficulty down to beginner after the first mission. So all the fans complained the game was to easy. So TFTD was supposed to step up the difficulty, based off of the previous difficulties that no one had actually played. At least that's my theory.

I can't target it though, that's why I said it was like terrain. I do have one black-powder bomb left, I suppose i could try that.

Any projectile weapon or bomb will do it. Weapons like the chainsaw and hammer also can target terrain.

Ah, one of them does have a chainsaw. Seems a bit powerful for a starter weapon, but whatever I guess.

I wish a chainsaw/chainsword would be ported into XCOM