American passion for HP

Why do I see so often this kind of shitty comparison here?
Why would you only compare cars based on power?
Is it because America mainly consists of shitty straight roads?
If for you Driving consists of applying pressure on a single pedal in an automatic car, then you can consider yourself as a faggot.

TL;DR Light is right, prove me wrong.

That's a nice picture, but the current Camaro is neck and neck with an M4.

It's old info.

Might as well put a Mclaren F1 and a C7 up there and shit on the English for needing 600+ horsepower to keep up with American v8

i thought most AMG cars have more than 500 hp
arent cars from england the same way?
like a F type, etc
i think euros drove a few muscle cars and thought hey, this is fun we can do it too

This.
Europe and US both do fantastic muscle cars.

The reason is that in the olden days the highway was the best way to go fast. Lightweight sports cars had their place (indeed the MGs and Triumphs were VERY popular amongst US soldiers returning from the war) among us but our sights were on long, fast, and smooth- that's why we built huge plush landbarges out of adamantium that had big hoonin veayts.

The extension of that was that the car culture of our country, given that most of it was indeed highway (which, frankly, is the only way it could work- people forget that Europe is SIGNIFICANTLY SMALLER than the US and therefore the transportation situation is quite different), the main way to be the best was to be the most powerful. Ergo, bigger more hoonin veayts.

And of course, it had to be within a "daddy daddy can I have one" price range. And the muscle car was born.

When people compare muscles with cars that were never meant to exist in the same environment, it makes me hurt. Because a muscle car is what it is- it goes fast. Ludicrously fast, in a straight line, and though it may not be the most composed in corners, that doesn't matter. The fun is in the pull. The power. (And, to an extent, the image.)

That makes sense to me. If you refer to my first sentences, it's only the stupid comparison that bothers me, not the muscle cars...

>most american cars are great in their way, stop trying to compare them or imply that they are the best in every domain.

Exactly. This is why I hate the "Corvette vs. GT-R" shitposting debate that goes down here in every thread.

The Corvette is, ostensibly, American. It has everything Americans love- sleek lines, a good name behind it, and most of all, a V8. It's the Americanest American Americamobile that ever drove out of American factories onto American soil/tarmac. You're meant to take it on that somewhat windy Interstate, slam down the pedal, and rip a hole in fucking spacetime, leaving all the Hyundais or Civics you're surrounded by gawping in either terror or awe.

In the same way, the GT-R is the summation of everything Japan. This is how they computers in Japan- this is how they launch in Japan, they design in Japan, this is Japan's car. It's meant for calculatedly disassembling the touge bit by bit and comes with that Japanese sense of united vision. It may not be the greatest driver's car ever made- but that doesn't bother it. It's concerned with one thing and one thing only; being the fastest.

Comparing a GT-R and a Corvette is like comparing Japan and America themselves- and that just ain't right. We're partners in trade, partners in industry- hell, America basically helped reinvent the place after realizing the huge moral debt dropping those nukes put on them, and in return Japan provided America with some of the best products you could ask for. Walkman, Civic, Corolla, PlayStation, VHS, you name it.

It's mutual. The Corvette and the GT-R aren't fighting each other- they're looking at each other and saying "Oh yeah? I can do THIS!" And in turn they're improving each other, bit by bit, to be the perfect amalgamation of what their homes have to offer.

What if the car is a grand tourer. Then light is bad.

Checkm8.

japan is a lot more like the usa than you think, have you been there? its a hell of a lot closer than korea. some cultural differences, but its not huge.

actually your post is strange.

fair point, user

Japanese car culture and American car culture do seem pretty similar on the surface, but really one is taking from the other. Constantly.

Example:

American lowriders and Group 5 (though not american, the ostensible example of the category is known to be the Zakspeed Capri, so it sort of counts) in part inspired bosuzoku, which inspired stance back over here, so on. Give and take.

Though, they do develop differently, and there's generally a large dichotomy between how Americans work with their cars and how the Japanese do, so... it can technically be considered different.

Nonetheless, the two cars have completely different priorities and were built for completely different environments. Telling a Corvette to run the touge is like telling a crossover driver to run MOAB. It's not meant for it. It might look like it, but the intent is different.

i dislike you

Love how the car pictured is a standard v6 and not even the ss

>Why would you only compare cars based on power?

America consists of only shitty drivers. It has been 38 years since an American won an F1 championship, 20 years since one drove an Le Mans winner and not one has won a WRC title. They are just incapable of competing in any form of real motorsport I.E. one that isn't on an oval or a quarter mile straight.

Nice b8

Thank you user, nice to see i'm not alone.

kek, agreed.

Ffs the picture is not the point...
Actually I get it from another post where a guy asked for help about buying a S2K, and get that image as answer.
Same thing goes with the GTRvsVette routine.. Pretty ridiculous.

Why do posters outside the US spend so much time posting about/getting upset about cars they will never drive?

I heard Italians have to pay at least 60k for a shitty 4cyl jk Wrangler. Keks

>spending time posting about/getting upset about cars they will never drive
this is Veeky Forums remember

anyway i've seen latest gen vettes, camaros and mustangs over here. but i think the mustang is the only one actually sold in the UK (and in RHD)

I prefer lightness over hp.
However, this only applies to cars that are sub 1000kg (2200lbs for you USA folks), because after that the feeling of nimbleness starts to get diminished. Of course there is still a clear difference between something like 1300kg and 1800kg

Anyway, if we are talking about heaver cars, i prefer a proper balance between the power and hp.
For example, i'd pick a 1500kg/400hp car over 1250kg/250hp one

Not always, pic related.

>moral debt
Pffft, fuck off

to bait autists like you

yeah but the GTR is faster

That's not the fucking point, you imbecile.

The Corvette and GT-R have two different philosophies behind them. Sure, if you want the faster car, by all means, buy yourself a GT-R. It's the right choice, evidently.

But a Corvette isn't always for those people. Some people want a Corvette for the rakish styling. Or for FR fun. Or for that V8 rumble. The GT-R, while amazing, can't really offer those.

To say that one sucks, or the other sucks, that's just retarded. They're both fantastic cars. They're just fantastic in different ways. For different folks.

>That's not the fucking point, you imbecile.
Oh boy, here we go!
>The Corvette and GT-R have two different philosophies behind them.
Sounds like a pretty flimsy excuse for being objectively inferior.
>But a Corvette isn't always for those people. Some people want a Corvette for the arbitrary measures in which make it inferior, then excuse the shortcomings with quotes like "b-b-but muh fun!" or "japanese kars suck anyway!" The GT-R, while amazing, can't lower itself to the levels of the Vette
What you're literally saying.
>To say that one sucks, or the other sucks, that's just retarded. They're both fantastic cars. They're just fantastic in different ways. For different folks.
I guess you're technically correct there, one's fantastic at being fantastic, the other excels in being a bucket of fish guts.

>Many baits, much wow

But it's funny though, because :
1. 95% of Veeky Forums won't be able to afford either of them.
2. And the 5% who can afford one, could do exactly the same with the GTR or the Vette because has no skills...

At this point, it's just like supporting a team or another. In reality both cars are great, who gives a fuck about those extra meters gained by the GTR.

Alphonse, my man, I love ya, but this can't be sustainable.

So you like the GT-R. Good for you. Go have fun with your choice, confident you chose the car for you. Go buy that poster, go after what you love. Pic related, it's my dream. We've all got one.

But recognize that there's certain things about the 'Vette the GT-R can't offer (Example, RWD). There's things about the GT-R that the 'Vette can't offer (namely those bleeding-edge control systems). Which one you will like more depends purely on which things you prefer more.

I like the GT-R more, personally, but I can see why people would prefer the Corvette. Call me devil's advocate or something.

>implying i would save pictures of women
That was the first hint he wasn't me. Not everyone who likes the GTR is me, buddy.

I had a shadowy feeling.

I should have listened.

Have more SM as repayment.

Beige SM is best SM.

>Europe and US both do fantastic muscle cars.
inb4 some autistic cunt shouting that European muscle cars aren't muscle cars because they're TOO EXPENSIVE FOR DA COMMON MAAAAAAN

The Japs were limited in how much horsepower they could advertise on their sports cars. While some things just had more power than what was specified others were built within the boundaries. The S2K is an example of such, and to date the benchmark for lightweight 2-seater sports coupes and roadsters to be compared against.

Likewise, Euros have their hot hatches. FF econoboxes built to work around displacement and emissions taxes, and refined to the point where they can hold their own on technical circuits against the Japs and Americans.

Americans just didn't have to worry about as many restrictions. They could get away with fuckhuge engines and have plenty of long straight highways to fly down. Remember, one of the many things talked about regarding Europe and cars are the supercar manufacturers and the Autobahn. Imagine tearing down that in a Aventador; the last thing in anyone's mind will be some snobby European cock in a 1.3l diesel sneering at Americans while Jamal and Ahmed spitroast his wife and daughter and mod his E36.

You need a lot of horsepower to move a big boat.

>Light is right, prove me wrong

>Is it because America mainly consists of shitty straight roads?
Shitty roads, shitty drivers, shitty cars.

> If we made the roads any good, the cars wouldn't be good enough to appreciate it in
> If we made the cars better, nobody would be a good enough driver to appreciate them
> If we educated the drivers better, we'd have to improve the roads
> But if we improved the roads, the cars wouldn't be good enough to appreciate it in

I enjoy cars that provide peak performance with less power if that makes sense.

I love when my 215 HP turbo charged hatch leaves a mustang in the dust on a highway.

There is something beautiful about something so silent and strong.