Humans to be banned from driving (Tesla)

theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/elon-musk-self-driving-cars-ban-human-drivers

>AI much safer than humans in automobiles.
>The necessary AI programming to reach 99.99% safety requirement may be completed within 2-4 years, and is about 80% complete.
>Within 20 years, humans within 50 miles of urban centers could be banned from driving automobiles, with many cities already implementing partial bans in downtown areas. Special exemptions for law enforcement and EMS who may have use dynamic navigation in emergencies.
>standard Human Driving will become a hobby, restricted to private property, sporting events, and off-road.
>Will be able to apply for special 'human driver' license only if genuine economic reason to be driving a human-input vehicle.
>Revolution in transport.
>No stop signs. AI cars will manage speed and synchronize inter-woven traffic via network.
>No traffic lights. AI cars can inter-weave with tight margins without collision, up to 2000x better than a human driver can.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2016/06/30/the-first-self-driving-car-death-launches-tesla-investigation/#76b0207c62d0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>No congestion. Almost no crashes, no unexpected delays. Networked speed smoothing.
>1 hour commute in 2015 will take 35 minutes in 2035, if all cars in area are networked and AI controlled.
>2 'human' lanes can support 4 'AI' lanes. Why create wider roads when the AI can move closer together without collision?
>Redefining driving. No need for a safe reactionary distance between you and the car ahead. AI controlled cars can move within inches of each other even at high speeds, with 'slow' and 'stop' commands issued simultaneously over network.
>Economic boost due to 35,000 less people killed per year.
>Less healthcare cost due to 650,000 less people seriously hurt in auto accidents per year.
>Car shape to be re-designed to facilitate dynamic creation of 'road trains'. AI cars can link to one another in the same way trains can, except, dynamically. This will boost fuel efficiency especially over long drives.
>Have conversations with the people around you, even in other cars, without having to focus on safety and driving.
>Study, eat breakfast, manage your finances, all while commuting from the comfort of your own car.

Ahh yes. good goyims, we wouldn't want you to have this hobby or activity! it's too dangerous! instead, you can be more efficient at making your boss more money! or paying us your precious tax dollars! don't forget that you can clock into your job on the way in to work and begin your day on your commute too!

>if you don't see the downside to this, you're already too far down the capitalist-consumerist drain

>>if you don't see the downside to this, you're already too far down the capitalist-consumerist drain

what does that have to do with the government and big businesses violating my property rights with respect to driving my car again?

My guess is that long before there are enough self-driving cars on the road for a manual driving ban to be practical, insurance costs will start forcing people into self-driving vehicles. Eventually, operating a manually-driven car on public roads just won't be financially feasible for a normal person.

Would it be cheaper in the long run just to build trams and trains again?

it has everything to do with it

if you enjoy commuting as your hobby you should kys

also learn to read
>>standard Human Driving will become a hobby, restricted to private property, sporting events, and off-road.

Oh boy, sure do love never driving a mountain road again because it's not private property.

A lot of people can afford to have one car that's a little fun, which they can use for practical purposes as well as recreation. Not as many people can afford a dedicated "hobby" car and all the gear needed to haul it out to the track or whatever.

>restricted to private property and offroad
>your fucking face when just before this law passes, all of the private property gets bought up by big business and you'll never be able to drive anywhere outside of a small loop of tarmac at your local track ever fucking again
>implying that just because some casual shitlords who will only work a 9-5 job have to commute, my freedoms should suffer

you are the WORST KIND OF PERSON

you driving for the fucking view or something? are you a woman? piss off

>not enjoying a scenic drive
are you some sort of communist?

Reminder that these systems can't spot a tractor trailer against a cloudy sky

So whenever there is even mildly poor weather, transport would shut down totally in your robocuck future

you must be a worthless city dwelling liberal shitlord

the reality is that life sucks so hard for you and all of your other 9-5 drones, but that's too fucking bad. you morons dont realize that outside of your pathetic climb for status in an urban fuckfest, the rest of the country is wide open, enjoyable, and beautiful.

don't drag the rest of us down because your existance is meaningless

It's about limiting freedom of movement if you're a tinfoiler, not about your fucking hobby.

You're just as worthless for being a landlocked midwestern flyover state prisoner. There's nothing to do out there so you actually see the act of driving a car as a hobby. You have my sympathies for the small town fishbowl mentality.

t. /pol/tard living in his mom's basement

Oh fuck off both of you..

>HURR BAN HUMAN DRIVERS
>Someone actually fucking died in a crash in an autopilot car

forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2016/06/30/the-first-self-driving-car-death-launches-tesla-investigation/#76b0207c62d0

I can't wait to throw a bunch of debris in these "4 cars in 2 lanes" lanes and watch the fun begin. :D

>try and commit to making cars 100% AI before putting effort into a proper alternative fuel source or energy.

Kek, we're so fucked...

Yeah that straw man was already shut down in this thread.

It's worth pointing out that if automated cars ever become mandatory, prices for regular cars will plummet. It would be a shit ton cheaper to a hobby car after something like this happens.

Computer says emergency vehicle inbound, your car and every other car moves to the side, emergency vehicle flies past at 100mph, your vehicle continues on its journey. Response times cut by 70%. Certain folks dissuaded from following their base instincts.

This is an upside, but how expensive will it be to go to a track, and how accessible will it be?

Bait isn't "shutting down" an argument. Someone fucking died in a self-driving car and you're going to deny it?

And what nobody considers with the statistics Tesla offers to quell the people is that these automated cars are ridden in well-off areas and not the 3rd world or even just the bad part of town.

If they actually had them all over you would see their success rate plummet. The current price is the barrier to that.

thank you

most of the people driving teslas are not the 16 year old asians on their cellphones who will really be the demise of this current 'autopilot' system

this will be the true test

>bait so shit you need to cross link it in other threads
at least try

>16 year old asian
>affording a 50,000 dollar car

This is my nightmare future

You'd be surprised

I highly doubt this would happen any time soon, I mean americlaps get slaughtered by the thousands by guns every year and they still don't ban guns, you really think they would pass a law to ban human driver because of safety? Not to mention from what I understand driving and road trips are an american tradition. Germany or Japan I could see this happening, especially somewhere like Tokyo where something like 4 million people take the subway every day, but not in America.

Are there examples of superior technology coming out and NOT being used? It seems like every technological upgrade becomes part of life despite whatever the critics have to say.

This guy is an absolute retard. They think people are going to want to give up the most expensive possession they own to buy an even more expensive one? Imagine the gun shit-show going on in the states times 1000, that's what would happen if they tried to ban people from driving.

tfw my car is faster than the cops

tfw i could already do what i want

tfw more road related rules will not deter me

Anybody remember Minority Report? It was like Feminism: The Movie.

reminder that in these systems, those semi's are automated sled barges too.

Yeah, there are devices out there right now that can lock a gun to a specific fingerprint but nobody's implamented it because muh freedoms. A fucking kid made one as a side project, but AMs would never make it the standard because it woyld require more laws and regulations around guns which burgers are allergic to. So no, we aren't going to see human drivers banned or phased out any time soon.

>talk about anything legal and buttdevested yuro will jump into the thread and say some stupid shit about guns and burgers
every time
without fail

In this case there's no guns though. Guns are a can of worms.

>all this americuck /pol/ shitposting

remember to report

hang yourself from a fucking overpass

scenario time: driverless cars are more than 99% of all vehicles on the road, and fossil fuel is texed into oblivion.

but you, user, have a car you drive on your own, and a decent stockpile of fuel. A last hurrah for the ICE and the freedom that the car gave to man.

what do you drive?

So? It hit an obsticle a human paying attention would avoid

single turbo 4 rotor RX-7 FD3S with a screamer pipe and external wastegate

That would trigger the fuck out of any feelings police in 2050

The only way I would be for this is if Insurance ceased to be a thing 100% entirely.

But that won't happen because who takes responsibility for the failures of their products int his day and age?

Or it becomes extremely expensive for those of us that wanted to keep driving, something like

Lancer Evo 2.

Just because.

That sounds awesome.
>having to measure fuel consumption in gallons per mile
>lighting the semi contemporary haircuts of by standing nu-males on fire as you rip it down the street

this is the end of
>I was stuck in traffic!
>I took the wrong turn!
>my car broke down
>I had to get gas
>i didnt know the road was closed ahead

just think of all the minutes going to your employer

i would normally start sperging about apex seals at this point, but i can almost hear the braprapraprap noises that thing would make. beautiful

personally, i'd love a brick like pic, swapped to the B6304 engine, with added turbo(s), and the obligatory wastegate

anything under 350hp is failure

i'd do a ton of mostly stupid shit to it. slight lift, fat tires on gold wolk wheels, bolt on wheel arches, big set of extra lights, set of roof racks with some long strange tools on top of it

this sounds really good in my head. it is most likely not

This, except I think I'd go for an fc

What's the point of these threads? Literally every time they're made /pol/ comes out and starts spouting memes.

>banning guns will fix murder and suicide ;)
>Germany banning human drivers

most special kind of retard

>Have conversations with the people around you, even in other cars, without having to focus on safety and driving.

OH GOD NO MAKE IT STOP

>Within 20 years, humans within 50 miles of urban centers could be banned from driving automobiles, with many cities already implementing partial bans in downtown areas
>with many cities already implementing partial bans in downtown areas

Who writes this stuff because I'm in a need for some good ass drugs and that man certainly has it

how come i get banned for posting this image but no one else does

Why is Silicon Valley full of zealots? I'm not against new tech or anything, but I am against the snooty "all forms of self reliance should be left in the past" attitude, and the idea that people should be forced into adopting these ideas regardless of location or situation

It's just cancer

One more reason to kill myself really.

>wasn't born in the 80s
>wasn't a young driver during the 90s
>missed on all of the fun and cool cars
>new cars are ugly, shitty, and filled with faggot electronics
>future is gay shit like automatics, old cars getting banned, even driving yourself being banned

God fucking damn it this is so depressing.

One day, they will turn against you.

And when they do, you're gonna wish you had that carbureted internal combustion engine

Make sure to start your work and attend company meetings through skype during you morning commute wagecuck!
You NEED to maximise your productivity and effort in making your boss more shekels or else...!

That would make a nice view

Criminalize the development of self driving cars. Death penalty without appeal for violations. Let death sort out those who cannot drive, and lawsuits compensate for non-liable victims.

yeah good luck forcing millions of people to buy new cars

used cars user

you know this anguish that you feel?
Your rights being threatened?
Welcome to a day in the life of a firearm enthusiasts. . .

Used cars don't last forever.

a heavily modded prius
with the engine where the rear seats were
fun yet efficient

Not Evo 3 with misfiring system.

Desu any Evo outside of the Evo X would be fine with me. It's just Evo 2s are legal for import next year.

The difference is that firearm enthusiasts have time and time again stopped any logical regulation (ie mandatory training and tracking who owns what just like we have with cars) whereas this is still possible to save if we're not retards.

>logical regulation

And the retard brigade has already shown up. Which European shithole are you from? Aussie? Spit it out.

Automating cars is the auto industry's last chance to keep keep rail transit away.

Though even this will fail. As private car transportation is not volume efficient. Roads have a maximum capacity. That can not match rail.

I'm from the US and I own guns, I'm just not retarded enough to think that every fucking asshole with a gun should be able to get one. Mind you, I also think liberals are disingenuous as fuck but that doesn't mean some regulation doesn't make sense.

>I'm from the US
im sure you are.

>I own guns
sure you do.

>buh how could someone disagree with me while also being in the right group this is inconceivable
If it helps any I'm a commiefornian and a hard leftist so now you can decide I am in a different group than you :^)

MY UNCLE HAS A COUNTRY PLACE

>not retarded enough to think every fucking asshole should be able to get a gun
>implying nigger gang members with hipoint pistols own them legally.

If anyone here thinks this is a good thing, you dont belong on this board.
This would be essentially no diffrent from riding the fucking bus or the subway.
Fuck right the hell off to

Some people like to DRIVE on it

Get fucked you try hard shill

>Take out 150k loan
>Buy thousands of surplus military vehicles
>Grate cresh hebbened muh carz is cheep
>Enlist help of all spergs on /k/ to attach 20mm cannons and demilled RPGs filled with jizzbombs to cars
>Lead armed insurrection of full autismos in iron-clad mad maxmobiles into every federal institution that exists
>Threaten high explosive sexual assault and being dipped into boiling cosmoline and lube if bill is not repealed

And the best part is because every road is 37 lanes wide packed with sheep haulers there is literally no way for politicians to run or police to get near.

>Dragon dildos filled with homemade RDX and thermite begin to mortar down

I have nothing against Tesla and would like to own one, but Musk pls. Nobody is getting rid of human drivers.

NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT

HE SAYS IT USED TO BE A FARM

Not in my lifetime I'll fucking kill teslas motherboard with no survivors

BEFORE THE MOTOR WAR

AND ON SUNDAYS I ELUDE THE EYES

LAW, IT'S LAW
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A in Go-Mango. Warm over the 340, and have that fucker scream like the Trans-Am car it was built to homologate.

Roads do have a maximum theoretical capacity, but it's not economically feasible to run rail in less populated areas and massed goods still need to be moved between populated and unpopulated areas.

Cars and trucks could still have individual engines but link together to become a continuous line sharing aerodynamic benefits, and there could be larger 'rent-an-engine' vehicles which would be continuously travelling the highways pushing around engine-off linked cars and trucks for a smaller fuel fee than running your own engine.

You could have most of the benefits of rail (efficiency from having a single power source and aerodynamics of an unbroken line) while retaining the individuality and free travel of cars.

VR is a good example

We need to find an alternate source of energy for our vehicles before we can even think about having self driving cars. I agree that hybrids and EVs are gay right now, but the technology is still relatively young.

Also, it's 2016 and I'm still waiting on my fucking hover board god dammit.

Get fucked, commie. If it's such a flawless technology why aren't the police using it?

>superior

And in all this i ask
What will they do with us centaurs?
They already nave difficulties catching us with v8, human driven cars, how do they plan enforcing this shit?

What the fuck is the point of owning a car if it's just gonna be some cog in a massive dystopian digital hivemind? Can't they just put this tech into public transit systems, that's where we need it. There are constant derailments and delays on the subways here because of operator fuckups and busses never seem to know what they're doing. If you don't want people driving make public transit better (and possibly cheaper, you're not paying conductors).

Just a reminder.

it's not gonna happen. people like driving, car companies like advertising freedom.

but self driving cars will probably save a lot of lives in the long run

as to why would you want that option? sometimes you want to be able to go out and drink and not have to take a taxi home or risk getting a dwi. sometimes driving 15 hours in a setting isn't fun for the entire 15 hours. sometimes you are driving with your family and they are fighting too much that it's hard to concentrate on the road.

technology is a neutral force that has the potential to make life better or worse. it's not a great evil nor is it a giant conspiracy nor is it a utopia.

Plus it'd be cheaper in the longer run to build out mass transit anyway.