Like a boss that's how.

Less than 6 cylinders? When in doubt gas it. More than 6? Don't gas it at all
6 cylinders then should be a little clutch a little gas

Lift foot of gas pedal
Press the clutch pedal
Hold the clutch pedal and select gear with the stick
Lift foot of clutch pedal
Press gas pedal again.

It's easy as shit. My grandmother won't even touch a automatic because she thinks it's too complicated.

simple interface vs simple implementation
automatic and manual are just reversed

I've been learning stick for about a week and it's not too tricky, the only thing that sucks is starting uphill but even that's not too challenging

its gonna be a bit tricky for some time. "cheat" and use handbrake if you have to, but you do that shit easily with some practice

but i will tell you uphill start in snow/ice really sucks though, so you will end up either with the entire car smelling of eau de clutch or with a damaged bumper

Don't coast in neutral, don't coast with the clutch in, especially when approaching a stop, slow down through gears until you're at like 5mph then clutch and brake

>dont coast in neutral
>slow down through gears
what the fuck?

So far I think it's been easier to do the "breaks clutch gas" technique (for a lack of better phrasing) since I learned how to stay in place on a hill with automatic and the concept is somewhat similar, I feel like using the handbrake would take longer/have more room for stalling

OP ignore this retard, he has no idea what he's talking about. If you're braking to a stop stay in whatever gear you're until about idle then pull it in neutral, going through every gear is autistic nonsense.

easier to fix brake pads than clutches

well, if you can do it without the handbrake, so much the better.

Handbrake method can be kinda stalling-prone if the car is very low on power. I learned to drive in a car that was good on power so that wasnt much of an issue for me.

i even do it sometimes if i am very close to the car behind, just to make sure i dont roll back even a little

Hmm, sounds like I should learn how to do it in case I end up in a similar situation, I know plenty of uphill intersections in my town where I can see that happening

You fail your driving test in the UK if you don't do this, it's a big no no

Breaking at the same time of course, the rule is not to disengage the clutch from the engine completely and slow the whole car down with just breaks, you go down through the gears while breaking to maintain control

That's fucking stupid
There is nothing wrong with coasting in neutral and going down all the gears is only going to fuck up new drivers and it's an autistic pointless practice anyway

Are you allowed to even skip shift? Because that's pretty fucking retarded to go through all the individual gears m8.

>Roll up at stop sign
>Nobody for miles on either side
>Don't stop and wait three full seconds, instead slowly roll through completely safely
>Fail
Driving tests have no relevance on the real world

Yeah you can block shift, but for example approaching a red light at 30mph and putting it in neutral then breaking to a stop is illegal, coasting at all is illegal

You don't have to go through all gears, but you can't go into neutral, you can do 5th to 3rd to 1st, just not put it in neutral straight away and not use any engine breaking

its easy, because you dont need to move your feet around. right foot on throttle, left on clutch, and brake with your right hand.

>pull handbrake
>clutch in, out in gear
>ease off the clutch untile car starts loosing revs/ shifting weight slightly
>easy off handbrake
>support with more power if necessary

then again, you gonna learn this much betther by trying it out yourself and not listening to a random fag on Veeky Forums.

go forth my child, and burn up the clutch

its because cornering in neutral is less effective. if you have to swerve you are more likely to lose control. also, you dont save gas by coasting in neutral. it seems like thats a myth

And nobody in the world will enforce that law. Nobody.

It's a rule made by people that don't drive.

>You didn't shift down to first shame on you what if you needed to accelerate through traffic because you saw the russian mafia approach you would have to put it back in gear which takes at least an hour

Too much fucking work

It's because your car speeds up when you press in the clutch when you break, try it next time you approach a stop, have some engine breaking happen then press in then clutch, it's good practice to learn to drive safely, 99% of the cars in the UK are manual and 1% are auto

By driving real cars.

It is second nature after doing your (proper) driving lessons,I don't even notice it anymore.

your car does not speed up. that is physically impossible. it feels like its going faster but its just not slowing down as quickly

In the UK if you do your test in a manual car you can drive both manual and auto, if you do your test in auto you can only drive auto

It's not impossible, the engine breaking disconnects and you coast therefore the car goes faster, trust me mate, it's 101 in our driving test

down hill.

It's unnecessary daily clutch wear for an added bit of safety that doesn't actually exist. I can see shifting down from high gear on a highway with a stoplight, but going from fourth or third to neutral is fine.

If you can not put the car back in gear fast enough, even for a jerky synchro-destroying shift, you can't react fast enough anyways.

Helps take the stress off the brakes.

I think it's just about sharing the load of the car on both the engine braking and the brake pads

what forces are causing the car to accelerate forward when you are in neutral? the answer is none. the force of friction will cause your kinetic energy to be converted into thermal energy and you will slow down regardless of what gear you are in, or neutral.

the only thing that can speed you up is the action of the kinetic energy being transferred from your crankshaft to your wheels, and if that isn't happening, then your velocity definitely will not increase

yeah, you're right, if you are going down hill you will probably increase in speed while in neutral

Replace your brake pads and/or rotors, maybe tires

Now replace your clutch and all the wear items that come out with it

Tell me which one you would rather do and which one a mechanic would charge more for

Engine braking for me is not upshifting and just coasting downhill while maintaining speed. Modern FI engine so it uses zero gas despite the higher RPMs.

When breaking mate, while you're in gear and take your foot off the accelerator your car will go slower due to engine braking, while engine braking, if you were to push in the clutch or go into neutral the car would speed up because the engine braking has been lost, hence when slowing down, you shouldn't go into neutral

no, this is wrong, your car will not speed up, i have to go but you just have to trust me enough to look this up

From a physics viewpoint ceasing deceleration is equivalent to acceleration. Therefore, when you stop engine braking you are accelerating. You may not speed up (velocity), but everyone else in this thread is just semantically equating accelerating and speeding up.

You're all a bunch of autists who will argue over anything

>Canadian
>got my license in auto
>buy a manual afterward
>smug Pepe. jpg

10 year overview

>stop using engine breaking
>replace clutch $800+

>stop using neutral then the breaks
>replace breaks less than $200

but you can do the clutch work yourself because you're a wrenchfag right

Replacing your own clutch as an employed person isn't a great idea unless you have a second car, especially if it's your first time doing it. You'll probably destroy a seal, get grease where it doesn't belong, and improperly re-mount the transmission.

ok im back. no, deceleration and acceleration are opposites. the negative acceleration caused by the engine braking does slow you down, but then when you put the clutch in or put the tranny in neutral, all you are doing is removing that negative acceleration, leaving whatever forces that normally act on the car.

the forces that act on the car when it is in neutral are mostly forces that act against the car moving. the friction of the tires on the road, the friction of the wind resistance, etc.

the only possible positive force acting on the car is gravity, if you happen to be descending from a slope.

tl;dr, when you put the car in neutral, you arent adding a positive force, you are only removing a negative, therefore the car will not increase in velocity, it can only decrease, unless it is going downhill.

>there are people that think learning stick is hard

>ceasing deceleration

This means to stop decelerating, ie accelerating. You must have completely misunderstood my post, but that's no surprise given your other responses.

Not him but he's right.

no, removing a force of negative acceleration doesn't magically produce a force of positive acceleration you moron

Saturns don't need gas,but I guess they all had 8+ cylinders.

Nice, 80's 4Runner/pickup right? ive got a 93 pickup with an 8 ball.

Learn to downshift senpai

GO TO A PARKING LOT
PRACTICE GETTING THE CAR ROLLING WITH JUST THE CLUTCH
DO THIS 50 TIMES IN THE ROW WITHOUT STALLING
YOU HAVE NOW FOUND THE BITE POINT
INTEGRATE THIS WITH YOUR SHIFTS
BEST WAY TO GUARANTEE LEARN STICK

Everything everyone tells you is confusing but I have a decent way.
>clutch in
>let out clutch as slowly as possible, as soon as it starts to grab hold it there and apply gas
Alternatively
>clutch in
>rev to 2000rpm
>clutch out as fast as you can
>maximum doriftu achieved

Do you wear this hat as well?

The concept itself isn't hard. At it's very core, you can in theory just slowly let out the clutch with every shift and you would be completely fine. The complexity of it comes from the technical/skill aspects that you'll eventually want to learn to become a smoother driver. Things like downshifting while blipping the throttle, taking off on a hill, fast shifting, etc...

It's not hard but does take some practice. It's fucking stupid if you ask me. I always thought I was a pussy for not knowing how to drive stick. Well, I learned how to drive a motorcycle and then learned how to drive stick and it's a waste of time. It's so much more convenient and comfortable to just drive an automatic. Even if you're some meme 2fast2furious wannabe, just use paddle shifters. It's light years ahead of this stick shifting bullshit

>let out clutch as slowly as possible, as soon as it starts to grab hold it there and apply gas
Way too easy to stall and takes forever. Hold it at 1.5k-ish RPM (depends on car) THEN let the clutch out slowly [at least once it starts to bite] keeping the gas constant.

>slushbox auto paddle shifters meme
Yeah nah there's no such thing as a 'sports automatic' in any consumer car when compared to the control you get with any manual trans.

Yessir 87 4Runner

I would but I wear pic related and other hats they give me at work.

To add to this, my method is basically the opposite. I keep my rpms high and basically just use the clutch to control my speed. Literally zero chance of stalling

Doesn't that wear out your clutch more?

you start in the highest gear then you go to 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1, also when you stop make sure to rev the engine to about 6k then dump the clutch to make sure you dont stall it

What's it like going from a motorcycle transmission to a car? I never drove a manual car but drive motorcycles. I feel like it'd be weird.

> those floor mats

i notice lots of people try to shift like they are a race car driver. there is nothing wrong with slowing down and making steady, intentional movements. wait until it's muscle memory.

think like a musician. you don't get to shred that guitar until you can strum perfectly at slow speed. you don't have to try and fail to shred over and over saying "why can't i play guitar!!!"

Ask your boyfriend for lessons.

You shouldn't be shifting as quickly as possible when not racing anyway; if you don't let the revs fall briefly you're going to jerk the shit out of your car raping your synchros, drivetrain and so on.

It's actually illegal in some states in the US. I'm in IL and I'm pretty sure it's illegal here.

The idea behind the illegality is that you must maintain control of the car and when in neutral, it's considered not in control or something like that. Look it up.

I guess it makes sense. If you think about it, the definition of neutral is pretty much not doing shit about anything.

As a physicist, I'm fucking glad someone here understands this shit, reading that back and forth triggered me a bit.

>thinking anything Illinois does is logical, smart, or replicated to other states

>cornering in neutral is less effective