Need Advice

I've been driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T for about two years now. I've put about 11,000 miles on it, 230,000 miles total.
It works fine. Transmission is bad, 2nd and 3rd grind when shifting and downshifting. Paint is beyond redemption at this point (cheap paintjob).
I'm trying to look for something similar to it (manual of course). I have a potential budget of about 10k, 15k if I'm lucky.
Any suggestions?

Fix it nigger

>something similar

I recommend you a 3000gt vr4

You have to know how to spot a good one.

You can get a very clean and maintained 1st gen for about 10K.

2nd gens are more expensive and you could get a good one for 15K.

Of course there are other good cars, you could get an MR2.

Or if you want a bit more space, why not an e36 M3.

You have several options user. Have you seen anything you like?

This, save up some money to get a MINT vr4 so long as its not your daily driver

OP here, funny thing is my dad has a 3000GT VR4 in storage, I'm not actually sure whats wrong with it. Though there is no way in hell he'd let me buy it off of him.

what makes the 3000gt vr4 so good
its like a 2000 dollar car
el em ay oh

What the fuck? A sohc dodge stealth is like 2000. A TT with 4ws, active aero, like 300 HP, and Awd is way more. And that's for a shit one.

Nice meme, you must know about cars.

OP keep in mind these cars were $80.000-90.000 brand new. They can handle 700hp with stock internals.

You can strip the AWS and other components and your car can weight 1.400kg.

Installing a FMIC will clear the engine bay and even more if you do a couple of simple vacuum line delete.

They are a blast to drive and the community is pretty much the friendliest people on earth. We even have "free parts, just pay shipping" threads.

They are good cars.

I'm even planning to get a FWD N/A as a track car just for shits and giggles

>1.200 kg
>222hp
>LSD
>most TT-MR parts are interchangeable

Want to sell it to me? Where are you located?

I'm not looking to sell.
To clear some things up, the car is not mine, i have it on loan from my dad until i have the means of getting my own car.

so why did 3000gt fall out of favor
>fwd
>fwd biased awd
>transverse engine
oh....

Ok bro

why? a transmission rebuild costs more than the car is worth

You in Washington? Got a 2ga GSX for ya

While that can be true, if you have that mindset, then you can't never buy a new/used car if depreciation is what matters to you. If you love your car then you wouldn't give a shit about putting money into it.

If you like it then why not do it.

Is this Engine bay ok?

No, that is just when you take the car to the junker and buy another.

Alternatively be like me and watch it rot away in your driveway and remember the good times over the last decade. Don't have it in my heart to part it out.

Looks a little FWD but it'll do

OP here.

So if I were to fix it, what kind of place still sells parts for a 26 y/o car?

Get a galant vr4. Same engine and drivetrain as dsms but no American build quality

>3800 pounds

>He thinks there's only one 3000GT GTO TT trim.

Stay pleb, normie.

You could also make it a track car??? Instead of watching it go to waste?

Those eclipses handle pretty good.

This. Make it a track car after you buy the other car

Go to a pick n pull and get another transmission.

OP here. I've come across the information that we actually have two Eclipse transmissions in storage. I could probably fix it, but I've heard a lot about replacing transmissions being a pain in the ass to replace? Any advice or insight on this?

What's the pain about it?

>Source good manuel tranny
>remove old tranny as if you were replacing the clutch/flywheel
>put new tranny
>plug and play

No problems at all OP unless you have the tranny from a different engine.

Maybe what... $600 tops?

I'm pulling it from an out-of-car engine we have in storage. So as you said it should be as easy as to plug and play? Anything else I should be aware of?

>easy as plug and play?

Yes, just make sure THEY HAVE THE SAME ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN.

>anything else?
Do the usual maintenance, change fluid, why not put a new clutch and flywheel. Change the shifter cable bushings.

if you are not mechanically able to do it or if you are not too sure, I suggest you take it to a mechanic. There's nothing wrong in not knowing how to work on your car.

I'm just now getting into servicing my car. I already know the ins and outs of all the basic stuff (oi changing, tire changing, etc). So the simpler this is the better. My dad is well versed in taking care of this car, so is my older brother.

OP Update: Just pulled transmission from older engine. Going to examine it and see about having it serviced by a mechanic.

Another OP Update: Just figured out the tranny I pulled isn't for the Eclipse GST, can't use it.