/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11130414
youtube.com/results?search_query=gunshot sound effect
google.co.uk/patents/US6935954
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WEW LADDIES
E
W
robo no homo

does heartbeast have autism?
dude is pretty handsome and seems pretty cool but his videos are so stilted it's painful

pinball guy here.

I guess I'll lookup some high school youtube physics course.

>127 lectures
fuck

will this be enough for games (high school shit)?

>patreon
>books
>courses
>youtube
>kickstarter

we know what he's after and there's nothing wrong with that

>check dev
>Recent activity: 478 hours in Clickteam Fusion 2.5
So i guess he spent nearly 11 hours on each game then, looks about right

Continuing from last thread. Found some mock-up shit sprites I made for the game on an old design doc that I had up before someone deleted most of it. Still need a new engine to use. Any suggestions for:
>2d top-down rts with RPG elements

You want to reduce it by a value that takes its current speed into consideration, so that if its going fast it'll slow down faster and if its going slowly, it'll slow down more slowly.

Monogaemu desuyo

>BEST
INVENTORY VOTE
strawpoll.me/11130414

Is the model matrix the only one I would change then?

to clarify: what I'm struggling with is understanding how I would translate 2 objects independently.

the example I'm using has a triangle and square class with vertex coordinates as static matrices. What it does is get the MVP matrix from the renderer class and pass it to the draw method of the triangle and square.

I have succeeded in modifying it so that it translates one MVP matrix based on user input as my "camera". Both draw methods are getting the same matrix so they are moving together. I want to then change this matrix so I can apply additional rotation/translation/scale within the triangle/square class

thanks for the help f a m

>NO! There is no way that this hideous "compilation" of quasi-pseudo-games will get greenlit!
NEVER EVER!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

>... oh man. I need a drink. *can emoticon*

>Whew... that's better.
>Now tell me, why don't you make a 1 (in words: one) GOOD game instead of 40 monstrosities like this? Are you trying to make an Action 52 clone? Seriously? In 2016?

aww yiss

Maybe he just gets nervous on cam. I think he has a wife and a kid, so it's probably not autism.

Anyone want to link me to some decent gunshot sound effects? I couldn't find a whole lot of good ones on freesound.com.

youtube.com/results?search_query=gunshot sound effect

The camera is basically responsible for both the view and projection matrices, so I tend to combine them once on the CPU side instead of times on the GPU side. Each individual object is responsible for its own model matrix. The shader multiplies these together during vertex transformation.

post em

How's the usual process of taking a mathematical concept/algorithm you know nothing about and implementing it? I see this guy called sethbling on youtube code all kinds of really cool shit in minecraft and super mario world (sounds memeish but it really shows how skilled the guy is). How do CS people get good at taking stuff they know nothing about and implementing it in their own projects? It feels like it takes them no time at all but surely they spend a lot of time reading right?

anyone know of any 2D tile games that are TotalWar / Generation of Chaos inspired with large scale armies?

>find someone online who already wrote the code
>adapt it for your own game

Applying these concepts and algorithms to game programming is often an exercise in working under limitations more so than it is difficult mathematically. Games have soft time constraints, i.e. acceptable frame rates. And if you're not an enginedev, you have the limitations of the engine you use as far as flexibility in writing code.

sauce on manga

I don't use any of my tools through Steam, even though all the tools I use are on Steam.
I just prefer the standalone so I'm not always launching things through Steam.

>sanity meter

You better have an LLC user.

Why would you want to have to launch steam to use your program? What compels this autism?

Junji Ito stuff
why?

You don't have to do it through steam, I launch it with the program's icon on my taskbar.

google.co.uk/patents/US6935954

>software patents
america go home

wtf? How did Amnesia get away with it then?

How can games like Darkest Dungeon have sanity level then

They both paid Nintendo a fee to use the patent.

Listen to the GDC talk the Amnesia guys did.

Frictional Games got off scott-free, so will I

can I patent health points?

Not if I do first

Does Bloodborne Insight count?

This thing is an hour long, do you know when they talk about it?

No since the way you acquire it has nothing to do with the patent.

Yeah they start talking about the problems at around I lied.

how is this a valid patent in any universe?
>no implementation code or details
>2000 + 16

on top of that it requires ROM cartridges so unless you're making a sanity meter for an NES game it doesn't even apply to you

Do real people actually write this shit? If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's machine-generated legalese bullshit.

oh and don't forget prior art, sanity meters have been a thing since at least 1985

>Yeah they start talking about the problems at around I lied.

but... why would you lie about something like this? Did you not think I would call your bluff? That's just silly user.

>how is this a valid patent in any universe?

Because we live in a world run by jews who hate small businesses. Better hope Trump gets elected.

ego stroking with your steamchat buds

Do you ever just look at your game's progress and think "How the hell did I ever get this far?"

In that description you could change Sanity to HP and it pretty much describes any health system

It's just a joke user.

Do you ever look at your game's progress and think "What have I done with my life?"

How do I combine SDL_ColorKey and SDL_SetAlpha? I set the color key to the background color which works fine, but when I try to set the alpha of the surface to 128, the bitmap just gains a tint of the background color instead of becoming transparent

Just filed a patent on video games
I'll visit all of you in prison

>nearly 130 people in the lewd jam

this is too much exposure for AGDG I'm scared

I'm fine then

>look at your game
>wonder how the hell you did all this
>look at the code
>don't remember writing it despite all the comments you left in

>tfw remember everything you ever did in your code and if there's a problem you instantly know where to go and fix it

Enginedev is a bliss desu

>implying we're going to get that many games

I already know that we're going to get around ~7 passable 'games' and the rest will be absolutely atrocious.

>130 people joined
>10 games get submitted

Thank past you for commenting it.

I'm more sad about the amount of DDX entries

there's 100 people in DDX. That's like what? 4 demos?

>there are 100 games on /agdg/

If you have to write a lot of comments, you're probably writing bad code. API documentation gets a bit of a pass here because most languages can't express what they might say, such as details about thread safety.

He is a sheltered mormon, probably homeschooled.

agdg is normie territory now. It's just another place to shill your game. no community at all. Sad but true

Shit man. All I'm gonna have ready is a menu and some drag n' drop.

Nintendoproof stuff right here.

Regularly. Usually followed by "Why have I spent 3 years working on a game nobody will play, let alone finish"

they aren't really comments explaining the code, i autistically shitpost to myself in my code

He actually did it, the absolute madman.

Just rename it to "lucidity" and call it a day.

That's some nodev talk. Who here is advertising? Are you saying all the progress posted is fake? The only people who are not a community are nodevs.

>tfw you overdose on dev

Everyone. The only reason people post their progress here is to gain exposure for their game. To build a cult following before putting it on steam greenlight. Nobody gives a shit about anyone else's games.

>Using AGDG for exposure when you'd get 5000x more exposure on literally any other site

No one here is retarded enough to do this right?

>not overdosing

so why would a nodev like you even post here

>tfw insane crunch time to get game working for lewd jam

So I got it to work and it was simpler than I thought. I have a feeling i'm making a mistake though

I'm calling Matrix.translate() twice, once to move to the position of the object, and then again at the end of the draw() method to undo this translation. Could this be the correct way or will it be really slow for more than 2 triangles?

>The only reason people post their progress here is to gain exposure for their game.
Are you actually retarded. You realize /agdg/ has ~1-200 foot traffic?

Tumbler, Twitter, Twitch, Reddit, all that shit will get you FAR more traffic than this place. Nigga you dumb if you think people come here to actually try and get buyers. It's a community to get encouragement for dev.

Is there a tutorial of this somewhere? I need to know how to do this senpai

>render face with flat shading
>invert normals on mouth geometry

>agdg
>encouragement

You don't modify the camera matrix with the model transformation.

Yes, encouragement and criticism. If you're the kind of baby that the first time someone tells you a design you do is shit you pull of stakes and stop deving entirely.

If you're not getting encouragement maybe you dev too slowly or your game is just garbage.

or "GRIP ON REALITY", "MADNESS", "LUNACY"

what the fuck would 'community' even constitute here? Names and tripcodes are frowned on, nobody seriously talks o each other in Discord or Steam, and it would devolve into gay powertripping moderation even if it did

best girl

So the shadows and ambient occlusion (if necessary) are all textured in?

>Nigga you dumb if you think people come here to actually try and get buyers.
aggy daggys are the most ruthless, but also the most valuable to win over. They spread the word better than anyone, at the highest "nerd cred" levels. If aggy daggy likes a game, it gets spread to /v/ over and over for free, and trickles down from there. Dawg. For realz.

That's brilliant.

>your game is just garbage.
agdg in charge of encouragement

See, if you had any actual evidence to this that'd be nice.

Post your game. Lets see it when perhaps I'll see something to encourage.

Why should someone be patted on the back for accomplishing nothing? You don't post baby's first game as if anybody wants to actually play it.

just a standard toon shader, its a basic shader with a clamp

If you accept that your game is garbage from the start agdg can actually have a positive effect on your dev, even if they just shit on your game.

just because you don't want to play it doesn't mean you have to shit on it

Thanks again to the folks who joined the stream. I've been putting together a new first room for Dungeon Break, and trying to turn it into a sort of tutorial. My biggest issue is that the double-jump mechanic is sort of difficult to explain without flat out saying "Hey you can jump again while you're halfway through a platform"

What do you think of this situation shown below, where the player is basically forced to learn the double jump or they can't progress? Is that going to be enough or do I need some Spelunky-esque signs in the background illustrating what the player must do?

The worst thing that can happen here is some lunatic like danny becomes obsessed with you

that seems much less likely to happen anywhere else, here we have some absolute fruitcakes

AGDG is the only general on Veeky Forums with this much self-loathing, I swear.

even if we assume you were right "a positive effect" is not encouragement