/dfg-/ Dwarf Fortress General

Juice n' Jam time.

Previous Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn
Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XnUnYrLKKYo
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9588
raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/maxthyme-scripts/master/firestarter.lua
arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am a DWARF
And I'm DIGGING a HOLE
DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
Digging a HOLE

So how are your forts/adventurers going /dfg/?

Anyone else having issues with dorfs just refusing to sit at tables to eat? I have no idea what to do to solve it and they keep getting the negative thought due to lack of chairs.

Sometimes these night trolls would at least TRY to be threatening or something

Put a table/chair combo in each of their rooms and they'll usually sit at it to eat.
Make sure you don't have a tavern either, taverns are AIDS that ruin everything and provide no meaningful benefits.

youtube.com/watch?v=XnUnYrLKKYo

A giant attacked my settlement and got killed by a millitia of 8 dwarves. One then died to a giant anole.

They will always eat at the nicest dining hall they are allowed to eat at. So, dig out a large stone area, smooth and engrave both the floor and the walls, put a stone door at each entrance, then load the place up with stone tables, stone thrones, and maybe some statues and rare animals in metal cages. Your dwarves will always eat there. You can then designate that as a meeting area via zones and maybe set up a control room nearby where all your levers are.

Waiting for winter. I neglected to install a bridge in my waterfall, so now it's flooding the cavern layer it feeds into and threatens to spill into my fort, but I have to wait till it freezes over before I can construct anything to block the flow.

Also, discovering the elephant men move fucking slow in fort mode. Like half the speed of my dwarves, if not slower.

Business as usual.

I swear I'm literally the only person I see talk about Dwarf Fortress who gives generously to the elves. I like being able to have exotic pets I can use in my traps or as part of my meat or leather economy. Not just here but when I used to shitpost at Bay 12 Forums. You'd think I was the guy who came up with Obok Meatgod but no, they ban me instead because I like elves and I don't vote Democrat.

Retired adventurers?

who

>tfw you're near a fine bed

>I like elves and I don't vote Democrat
Well duh, everyone knows elf sympathizers vote green party.

But seriously though, I would be more tolerant of the elves if they weren't so god damn useless. Every spring I haul all my trade goods to the market, hoping for giant tigers or something cool, and every spring the elves bring a pair of larks and a bucket of wooden crap, so I offer them a lump of charcoal and hope it'll offend them enough to trigger an invasion.

If the elves bring me something worth trading for, I trade. If not, I kill them. If an animal I traded for dies of old age, the caravan dies whether they bring me something nice or not.
The diplomats die every time, though. One does not give Fath Spiraloil, the Rider of Rampages, Duchess of Relicwebs an ultimatum and get to go home.

I was wondering why the demon overlord of the goblins was listed as alive but was not in charge of the civ, and then I found out that she was taken prisoner by a band of 130 humans who attacked the dark fortress, killed 150 goblins and then kidnapped the demon and have her chained up in some hamlet in bumfuck nowhere.
I didn't even know that was possible.

Yes.

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9588

Huh. I'll try removing the [MEANDERER] tag then, see if that works.

I'd trade more with the elves if they had more goods that were worth trading for. Exotic animals are ok but everything else they have at the moment is garbage. Literally all I buy from them right now is fruits and occasional animals.

I miss when elves had cloth to sell. That was actually useful for supplying resources for a clothing industry.

As they are currently they're almost useless trading partners. The only other thing they're good for is trap fodder and fodder for military.

>building an aboveground structure
>somehow a floor tile collapses
>falls 1 z level
>huge cloud of sand is kicked up
>3 dwarves are caught in the cloud
>1 dwarf somehow gets her leg, arm, and neck mangled in the cave in
>all this from a single falling floor tile
>just one block fell
>she's a legendary miner
>she's a great poet
>she's a talented writer
>mfw she suffocates due to a fractured spine

>/dfg-/
>hard to type past the violent eye twitching

Fuck, I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

Is there any way to remove fire with DFHack?

Keep crashing due to a fire spreading fucking everywhere above ground

So a while back I cleared out a necromancer tower, took the slab, gathered up all the books, and then carried them to a volcano and threw them in.
I just stopped by the tower again on my way to kill a cyclops and I found the slab and every single book was back at the tower as though I had never taken them at all.
The slab even still has blood on it from the night creature I killed with it.
What the fuck is going on?

You can use tiletypes to spawn water over it.

There used to be a bug where trying to remove an artifact from the site it was created at would result in it being removed from your inventory and respawning at the site. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be fixed. What you're experiencing sounds related, as books and necro slabs are considered artifacts.

df.global.world.fires should list them, if you're not sure I don't think deleting them would hurt anything, I do the opposite with my firestarter script.

Artifacts and books which get placed on tables get a weird sort of status now as a result of the campsite changes.

Rolled up on a big bunch of bandits I vaguely recall hitting with a different character, this time I've got four axedorfs I'm getting used to trauma, so I tell them all to yield and drop their shit, some do, some try to act tough, when I run out of new people to bitch out I let loose the dorfs of war!

(it was gruesome, I've been buffing and gearing these four actively, 5 vs ~15 with me just sitting back to chuck bolts around was a slaughter, stay in school and don't become bandits, kids!)

Oh, I meant:

gui/gm-editor df.global.world.fires should give you the list and you can then hit ctrl+d I think to clear the entries (not sure if that's the default hotkey or my own, hit ? to check in gm-editor) and it will remove the fires.

>that feel when you dont have the patience or the skill to play dorf fort

You know what I hate most about rivers?
It's not that you can't just fast travel across them if you know how to swim, or the river is frozen, or you can fly, or you're fucking amphibious.
It's not that they spawn fucking everywhere and there's no way to disable them from generating.
It's not that you have to be miles away from them on either side in order to fast travel, meaning that crossing them manually involves loading dozens of cells before you can leave.
No, what I hate most about rivers, is that every single time you cross one, there's a flock of birds or a school of fish or some other worthless pack of wildlife, and by simply existing in your vicinity you get inundated with pages upon pages of SUMMARIZE THE CONFLICT IN WHICH A RAVEN ATTACKED A RAVEN and SUMMARIZE THE CONFLICT IN WHICH ATTACKED YOU.

I fucking hate rivers.

>skill
>dwarf fortress

>it's autism if I don't know your favorite let's player
smells like cancer to me

Pretty sure he meant that autism was who it was.
Calling someone autistic for not knowing a letsplayer is too dumb to be a thing that happens unironically.

>autism: only just now noticing there is sound on those videos, explaining how people can tell which player is which right away
>brotism: caring which player is which
Don't be a brotist.

Pretty good.

Ettin attacked me and got his heads caved in by the first dwarf he met, before the militia even got to him.

Dragon attacked me and started an embark-wide forest fire. Every tree on the map burned to cinders. Which of course the elves blamed me for, so now I'm at war with the treehuggers.

That trips a "wait, it doesn't work like that" flag: trees which catch on fire don't disappear generally, just the branches and leaves and shit, the trunk and whatnot remains. That being the part elves jerk off over, it seems that even if this could happen, it couldn't happen like that.

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but the elves were cool with me before the dragon, but they aren't now. Got a diplomat complaining to me about my mistreatment of the trees, then we're at war. Perhaps all the collapses from the fire counted as felling the trees?

I don't really know.

Modest Mod updated when?

OH I think I just figured it out. It was all the saplings that burned completely. They disappear from fire, unlike multi-tile trees.

So much like they blame you if a bronze colossus kills their merchants, it seems reasonable that they'd blame you if a dragon torched a bunch of saplings.

>firestarter script
Explain pls, I want to burn goblins.

>too lazy to fuck with anonymizing it via pastebin or whatever
raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/maxthyme-scripts/master/firestarter.lua

Put the cursor on a tile and run the script, it will set a fire on that tile, view an inventory and run it, poof everything burns, view an item, just that item burns.

Whenever dfhack catches up I'll have to rewrite several scripts to fix new structures and shit, I'll make sure firestarter works in fort mode too, the item/inventory part should work but the "I want a fire here" part is advmode only.

>beast angels were mini humanoids made of vomit
>humanoid angels were even smaller and composed of ash, armed with whips, halberds, pikes and warhammers
>archangel was a snail composed of vomit who died immediately when my pike chipped his body
>vault pikes were actually a downgrade compared to my old iron pike? I guess the lighter weight means less force?
I got the slab though, and the demon in question is alive and well inside his fortress. I'm gonna go kick his ass now.

You mean make him your bitch, right?

Even if I wanted some wimp-ass gopher demon as my bitch, which I don't, I'd still banish him. I'm a paladin of the god of sacrifice. Doing anything else would go against my entire adventure thus far.

Make him haul lumber and build shit for you!

Design a massive temple and set him to work on it alone while you go adventure, put the slab on a table in the middle.

Wait you can do that?
Fuck maybe I should do that.

>using a tileset
>201X

>being triggered by pretty fortresses

>not knowing the definition of a "tileset"
absolutely 2016

Embarked onto a glacier that half melts during the summer, so that's pretty cool. The other half is constantly covered in frozen dwarf blood.
It's a good thing I'm not colourblind.

Ahh, the bay12 modding subforum.

How would you nerf plump helmet

Make lack of variety in booze/food have more weight. That way they're still good, but it's necessary to include other sauces of food/drink.

after 2 years of only drinking and eating plump helmets dwarves will turn into plump helmet men

>implying plump helm abstinence isn't the worst possible thing

In my opinion, it's a good thing that the food and drink industries are the simplest ones in the game, as it's the first one new players learn and the first thing you do in every single fortress. It's still a little bit too effective though, and could definitely make room for more complexity on the higher end of things

>Make dwarves require cooked meals, and make cooking give seeds. Plants that are edible raw are still edible, but dwarves will avoid eating them unless forced to and it will give an unhappy thought, just like booze and water
>Make meals require unique ingredients. No lavish meals of finely minced plump helmetx4
>Reduce the yield of unfertilized plots and increase the yield of fertilized plots. A 3x3 plot should be fine early on, but it shouldn't feed your entire 120 dwarf fortress without at least some fertilizer
>Make variety in food and drink more important. Dwarves only get happy thoughts from eating something if they have a preference for it or if they haven't eaten it within recent memory.
>Buff alternate food sources, so there's actually a reason to get a fish or meat or beekeeping industry instead of relying on plump helmets, chicken eggs, turkey eggs and guineahen eggs. Mead should be the most valuable drink in the game

>plum
ONE JOB

>a grey langur has stolen a (steel anvil)!

Has anyone tried to enslave a demon in adventure mode by reading its name in a vault and later retire both companions in an old fort of yours, to live there?
If my experiments are correct, you should have that demon living in your fortress, being able to write books or serve in your tabern, and eventually he'd petition to be a member of your civ

Wanting to do a mad max themed fort but, I don't know what would would be the ideal setting to embark in to capture the gritty wasteland feel.

savage desert for giant roos

>beekeeping

now there's an industry that needs a buff

savage rocky wasteland?

What's the deal with ichor and blood barrels

Anyone got a fortress musician guide? How do you get them to compose?

Fuck, I've been looking through this damn map for ages and I totally forgot that rocky wastelands exist and what the look like, I thought it was either sand desert or badlands.

Placeholder for future reactions/mechanics and crafts, once the magic/myth and the starting scenarios updates get done

Gee I can't wait to have a use for barrels of gremlin sweat

Bili, my name is Urist-fiya.

I’m a 27 year old Dwarven Thitathi (Elf fan for you wanaras). I engrave trees and flowers on my smooth walls, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing on superior Elven string instruments. (Ici, Ova, Athi)

I train with my wooden sword every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through grass because it underwent photosynthesis over a thousand times before I picked it from the tree, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Elvish fluently, both ÿora and the Amalaefeye dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Elven history and their Esefatha code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Elven visa, I am moving to Cacameinire to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an acolyte for the queen or a shaping tree operator!

I own several grown fiber robes, which I wear around the fortress. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to the forest retreat, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Elvish as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in the forest retreat!

Where's /pol/ when you need them?

What did you think dwarves where based on?

I found a real-life dwarf fortress
arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

>The wood-ant ‘colony’ described here – although superficially looking like a functioning colony with workers teeming on the surface of the mound – is rather an example of survival of a large amount of workers trapped within a hostile environment in total darkness, with constantly low temperatures and no ample supply of food. The continued survival of the ‘colony’ through the years is dependent on new workers falling in through the ventilation pipe. The supplement of workers more than compensates for the mortality rate of workers such that through the years the bunker workforce has grown to the level of big, mature natural colonies.

Ant-fort when?

What's the deal with baron consorts? I've been getting some asking for residency.

stop shilling yourself here you insufferable faggot

kek

I'm getting kind of bored of my first real fortress without the quickstart guide. It's lasted a few years already, two FB attacks and a goblin invasion, and with 130 dorfs it doesn't look like it will fall anytime soon
Do I just retire or do I wait for something to rek the fort?

Make your own fun. Start messing with lava and minecarts and shit.

I'm posting boat until we get boats and fishing in DF

>vermin

Sure you don't mean critters?

>sim ant was over 25 years ago
>no gf
>still virgin
Kill me

>he thinks shitposting on Veeky Forums will affect the development of a game

Is it possible to get live large fish from traders? I want to make a huge aquarium in my inland fort.

Nope. You can get amphibians though. Go get those giant pepes for your aquarium.

Yar, set it to be built, designate it all with enough lumber, then choose them as a worker and leave. I did this with a bunch of elves when the update came out, then kicked them into a volcano when they were done.

Well that's horrific in a weird way.

>keas arrive at your camp as soon as you embark
>everything is stolen
>fucking dindu birds

>tfw I can tell that despite not knowing what 'dindu' is, I shouldn't use it in polite company

>moody Dorf is taking adamantine wafers
Is there any chance for Glass Furnace producing weapon or armor artifact?

Dindu is a /pol/tard meme. It is how niggers say "Didn't do" in america. It is usually followed by nuffin

>4 wafers wasted on earing.

Why should I play this instead of gnomoria?

What would I do without you anons reminding me that the rest of Veeky Forums is a shistering fethole of vum and scillainy?

Wrong question mate.

>Do you want to take part in creating your own crazy emergent stories? Play df.

>Do you want to play a game? See if you can get the key to those handcuffs out of your thigh with your teeth before the room fills with scorpions, you have 90 seconds until it starts.

You shouldn't. Shame you wasted your time here. Bye.