Banning Cars?

What would your reaction be to the proposal for all cars to be banned? In their place, a nationwide train service would be created, with stops at regular intervals in towns and cities, as well as longer trips across the country. This would allow for faster travel (trains would travel more quickly for nationwide journeys while trains in cities would avoid traffic jams), create less air pollution and cause less deaths through road accidents.
For small journeys, roads would now be open for bicycle travel (train tracks in cities would be placed above or below street level), allowing the nation to switch to a more sustainable and healthier form of transport.
Cars could be used for leisure outside of cities, in purpose made tracks and because they would only be owned for enthusiast, there wouldn't be a problem with fumes.
So, thoughts on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

grist.org/article/2011-02-04-new-evidence-cities-rule-and-suburbs-drool/
mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/23/how-to-carry-major-appliances-on-your-bike/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i you think that you can create a traffic infrastructure to service rural areas that pollutes less than cars you are very mistaken

Sure, you and your ilk can pay for it.

If I'm allowed to ride a motorcycle on these roads then sure, the only reason I haven't bought one yet is other drivers in cars.

This would never happen and it would be incredibly inefficient while at the same time costing the city a shitload with having to pay for WAY more public transportation, revamping the infrastructure while also losing out on various tax revenue and fines associated with cars.

It surely wouldn't be too difficult to schedule a train coming into a rural town once every half an hour for a few minutes stop.

Money used for this could easily be taken from road maintenance, now that heavy vehicles aren't constantly travelling over them.

A low powered motorcycle would make sense for more rural areas.

we already have a nationwide train service with stops at regular intervals in towns and cities here because we're not a third world country

It's not primarily about the train service idea but the idea of banning cars in REPLACEMENT of trains and bicycles.

Would be nearly impossible. They'd have to make an absolutely massive public transit system that can serve everybody. As it stands most areas in the US can barely keep up with basic road maintenance.

The world was built around the automobile. It's faster than other methods of travel in most parts of the country.

>most areas in the US can barely keep up with basic road maintenance
Exactly. By cutting road maintenance and using the money that would usually go towards petrol we can create a fluid system of transport, with trains obviously going much faster than cars added onto the fact that there will be no more traffic jams.

>The world was built around the automobile
No, only the part of the world you live in

It is far from inevitable that things should remain the way they are now

Human settlements are built up and abandoned according to need

We don't need rural people anymore because agriculture is modernized and very few people are needed to keep the farms running

The only way you take my car is if you pry it from my cold dead hands

>It surely wouldn't be too difficult to schedule a train coming into a rural town once every half an hour for a few minutes stop.
How?
You are FUCKING RETARDED

>Cars could be used for leisure outside of cities, in purpose made tracks and because they would only be owned for enthusiast, there wouldn't be a problem with fumes

Having a dedicated public transport network would allow for a link to be made for a general area, where you could enter a train at your local station, arrive at the major station for your collective area, get off, get on another train leaving your area. Meanwhile, the train you've just got off of while restart it's loop.
Given the price of petrol, this would actually save money.

How would you pay for it?
Where would you put the lines?
How would you keep people off the lines?
How would people get from the station to their destination?

>the only rural people are farmers

you and OP are literally retarded

I wouldnt care if it was actually done well

cars are an inconvient waste of money tbqh

If I lived in a place where I can get around easily using public transit then I wouldn't mind desu. It's not possible in my city; buses close after 2am and it can take me like 2 hours to get somewhere that would otherwise take 20min in a car.

>I live in the big city, we don't need rural people anymore ;)

please tell me what drug you're on and where i can get some

Well yeah there are unabomber types too, and people employed in the resource extraction industries, but they contribute nothing of value and in many cases are a problem that needs fixing. Look at all these trump-voting coal miners, for instance.

>How would you pay for it?
I've went over this first point already.
>Where would you put the lines?
The lines would be kept both over and under street level in cities and next to roads in the country.
>how would you keep people off the lines?
Uh, how do you keep people off roads?
>how would people get from the station to their destinations?
See

As long as I can keep my motorbike and share the roads with cyclists I'm fine with banning all private cars. Obviously there would be need for delivery trucks and emergency vehicles but I don't see that being a problem.

I can see a good public transport network replacing the need for cars in most areas. And in most places small scooters, motorbikes or even e bikes would be more practical than a car.

>tickets and taxes
>between places people need to travel the most
>?
>bike rental stations around cities(e bikes so people don't even get sweaty while pedaling to their destination) , make transportation of bikes easy in trains.

Public transport usage would obviously go up which would increase the supply of public transport options. Not a valid problem.

It doesn't have to be a huge tokyo-style megalopolis

A smaller, relatively dense mixed-use urban area would allow high quality of life while supporting less wasteful modes of transport such as rail, bike, and walking

Forgot to reply to

I'm likely moving to semi-rural Denver in a year and every fucking road from what I've seen is a single-lane, straight line shitfest. I figure a motorcycle would at least be safe on that while also alleviating some boredom.

Oh, and there are also the people who live there to be hardxxcountrystonk xDDD meanwhile they commute to the fucking city/town for work, food, entertainment, and everything else at least daily, spewing fumes between just because. Most people who live innacuntry don't even use their goddamned land for more than a junk keep. Almost none of them garden, let alone homestead. They just want to consider themselves cuuuuntry hyuk hyuk so cowboy and whiskey, and masturbate over their giant unused lawn, meanwhile they sit inside and watch tv all day, never leaving their house except to board the car.

There's also a few retired people who live in the sticks and have their 90 year old drug addled near-death selves drive on a highway into town/city several times a week to buy groceries, get tons of medical care paid for off the backs of the young, write checks for a $4 purchase, and stand around complaining over a two cent price increase and hold up the line. Then they drive to their country home and sit inside watching television. Until they end up killing some innocent person some day when they croak behind the wheel or doze off from the 90 different meds they take.

Fuck you, you selfish tard.

I love you, nohomo (unless you're into that just kidding not that there's anything wrong with that)

Pretty much. A lot of cycles, scooters/mopeds, and motorbikes here. Why semi-rural and not urban?

lol, I live in Mississippi and your insight is phenomenal. Surely you know what's best for everyone. I'd discuss this further but I've got to go drink some bath water HYUK HYUK

>Some faggot in NYC who's never owned a driver's license wonders why everyone else can't be like him

Ironic you say that about people in the sticks polluting while big cities are the absolute fucking worst

>where you could enter a train at your local station, arrive at the major station for your collective area, get off, get on another train leaving your area
How do you get from your house to the train?

10/10 bait thread op

hook, line, and sinker

Walk you lazy fucktard

Using a bicycle which could either be left at a secure lock up in the station or brought along with you on the train.
Not so much as a bait thread as an idea that I, personally, find interesting and I thought that it would more interesting to present it to a board with opposing ideas.

Haha, well sure let me take the train right to my driveway.

Roads existed millenia before automobiles, they have just been enhanced over the past 100+ years to maximise their efficiency (well' to certain extents).

Using a lawnmower for your front lawn one afternoon makes as much pollution as driving from Los Angeles to New York. Pollution isn't an issue.

Having a train system everywhere would require many tunnels, EXTREME maintenance costs, and would drop efficiency like crazy. You could never do anything on your own time. You could probably count the cities in the US on your digits that could use it, but nobody else (rural, suburbs, mountains) would want it. Also, think of the noise.

And how are you going to haul stuff in bicycles? Even groceries...

Funny how wrong you are. Maybe stop being so smug until you read a book or two.

grist.org/article/2011-02-04-new-evidence-cities-rule-and-suburbs-drool/

I was born rural and lived most of my life that way, then suburbs at 17, then finally glorious city.

I say everyone gets designated living spaces in a major city of their choosing. No more suburbia or deathcages needed. Rural america will forever be preserved in a sprawling wilderness. Villages that refuse to move will be razed.

>Haha, well sure let me take the train right to my driveway.
i can practically do this

>racks
>panniers
>backpack
>basket
Hauling groceries isn't a problem. I can easily get my weekly shopping hauled back on a bike.

Look below your beer gut. See those two appendages dangling down there? They're called legs. Or bike >Using a lawnmower for your front lawn one afternoon makes as much pollution as driving from Los Angeles to New York. Pollution isn't an issue.

>suburb/cuntry fags both mow gigantic lawns they don't use AND drive all over
>driving uses less hurr therefore they both don't matter

Are you retarded? Like legitimately? Did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you? Guess what: city livers neither drive far distances NOR have giant fucking lawns to mow.

I would love, love to see the absolute chaos that a dependence only on Amtrak would create.

Bicycles are OK for trips less than 10 miles round trip. Have you ever tried to travel by bike for anything longer than that? Have you ever bruised your tailbone so bad you couldn't sit down for 2 months?

Have you ever had to travel by bicycle when it was raining? Or snowing? Even hard core motorbikers around here somehow find themselves back in those cages they hate so much in January when the high for the day is 15F.

All I gotta say is if it ever came to pass, I hope your name is attached to it, user, and that everyone knows where you live. Because they would come for you, the general public would. And they would do unpleasant things to you.

Not me though. Those quiet crunching sounds? That would be me quietly eating popcorn, watching them and you from a discreet distance away...

Walk 10mi to the nearest town to catch a train?
>Using a bicycle which could either be left at a secure lock up in the station or brought along with you on the train.
A comfortable 10mph pace going to and from the train station on a bicycle could add two hours a day to your commute JUST BETWEEN YOUR HOME AND THE STATION, not to mention between the station and your destination.

Mrs Jones and her husband are in their 70s. They can't cycle anywhere, and yet OP's scheme has banned cars and trucks from the road.
They usually get their shopping delivered, but that suddenly stops being viable. The nearest station is a mile's walk away.
Do they starve?

Where did I say 10mi

Glad you are everyone.

What about families? Ever purchase anything bigger than a backpack? Guess they will have to install a train to your garage to deliver the washing machine. Use your head before you reply.

Have fun starving in your space. The only reason cities are so dense it because the rest of the land is used for food. Your scenario would increase land usage, make the entire world a surburb.

Use. The. Train.

>Where did I say 10mi
You didn't, I did. Because that's a reasonable distance that someone might live from the closest rural town that could house a train station.

I do my 10 mile, one way, commute daily on a bike no matter the weather. Sun, rain, snow, heat, cold it doesn't matter. Be it -30 °C or 30 °C. I really don't see the problem. It's all about attitude.

No, they get a government legalised service for people like them.

>smug
>cities rule and suburbs drool
>by Jess ZIMMERMAN

L O L

I'd love to chat more but I'm gonna go take a ride in my '69 F100. Cry more faggot. Hell, I might even fuck my cousin later, YEEHAW

>And how are you going to haul stuff in bicycles? Even groceries...

mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/23/how-to-carry-major-appliances-on-your-bike/

I carry groceries by bike all the time. Just put it in your backpack, or fucking walk and carry it. I've even seen old men biking their groceries home, they have bags on their bikes.

>preserved in a sprawling wilderness

Rather than nasty suburban sprawl? Yes please!

Use an e bike if you want comfortable riding.

Go shopping twice a week. Besides panniers and a backpack can fit plenty of food. Have you ever heard of delivery trucks? No one spoke about banning delivery vehicles. Use your head before you reply.

How fat are you? I regularly cycle 20 miles with no problem and I'm not even in good shape.

It doesn't matter in the context. The point being that automobiles are not as big of a source of pollution per their usefulness to society.

And you must be the alcoholic because last time I checked the whole of the Earth was yet to be paved in concrete and asphalt.

Keep them coming, maybe somebody here has some intelligence.

>WHY CAN'T WE ALL LIVE IN CRAMPED APARTMENTS AND RIDE BIKES

great thread

Just look at all those easily accessible towns. All two of them.

I know this is a car board, and I do love cars but I'm also something of a closet bike nut too. They're machines too, although not as interesting as cars are.

You travel any real distance on a bicycle at all (it is possible to do so) you'll eventually become a bike mechanic at some point. Ever had a spoke break on you? Eventually they will. Do you know how to replace it? Can you ghetto true a wheel out in the field? How about if you bust a chain link? Got a chain breaker on you? Know how to use it? Or are you just fucked on the side of the road with nobody to help you?

Bikes may not run on fuel - but *you* do! You need sugar (or simple carbs) and most importantly - WATER. You run out of water, you are in real trouble, especially if you're dehydrated out in the middle of nowhere. You don't want to know what it's like to be dehydrated and out in nowhere. Always carry enough water to make it back.

There's a limited range you can travel on a bike because of that. What if the nearest train station is well outside that range?

>to deliver the washing machine

They have commercial delivery and rental trucks for the once every ten years you buy a major appliance.

>bigger than a backpack

Like what, a 24 pack of coke you lardy faggot?

>families

I go shopping twice a week. Just stop by the store after work, mom can grab the greens and dad the canned goods if you can't carry more than a bag each because you're osteoperotic little ninnies or something?

As user said, buildings and settlements are abandoned as their need ceases. Fucking MOVE CLOSER TO THE CITY and stop hogging up a ton of space that could instead be glorious FOREST rather than your doublewide and scrap heap of rusting junk cars that don't run.

>I might even fuck my cousin later, YEEHAW

Your mom beat you to it.

>talks about pollution
>argument btfo
>p-po-oppsopollution doesn't matter in this context

Guess what pollutes even less per usefulness? TRAINS AND PUBLIC TRANSPORT. Thanks for composing my argument for me you insufferable fuckwit.

>yet to be paved in concrete and asphalt.

Most places in the US, yes including the heartland and rural states, are never more than 10 miles from a road. How am I supposed to /out/ in that? And it keeps getting worse as you fucks move further and further to increase your commute to the city in your fucking hummer and lifted pickemup'ta-rrruck by building more and more houses on the outskirts, consuming more of my land for your ugly mcmansion.

Either bait or the biggest fucking kike faggot ever to post on Veeky Forums. Either way, good job keep em coming

Why the fuck would I give up land that I paid for just because some city-dwelling cocksucker wants me to live in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment and ride the train everywhere?

Okay let's see, so I live in a middle-gtound spread area. Not rural, not big city, yet not a suburb. Stores I regularly go to are on a spread of maybe 5 miles in either direction, plus hills all around. How long will it take to go across to get all the things I need and still have the day left to do other things like... I don't know, go to work, school, take care of family, do hobbies, pay my train taxes...

And well these delivery trucks that were so suddenly ammended to the bill, everyone will be using them. Going to have to hire a lot of workers to drive them.

Congratulations, you've just replaced personal cars with delivery trucks at a 1:1 ratio and greatly dropped your efficiency.

You are only thinking for yourself. Please don't enter politics.

My friend who has a 2 year old uses a trailer for the babby

When I was a baby my dad had an actual baby seat on the back of his bike

Why do cagers have so much trouble with basic problem solving?

what a nice thread

There's an easy solution to that kind of development mistake

I have biked, on the regular, 20 miles even in the hottest part of summer in 90+ degree heat and like 110% humidity, and one bottle of water sufficed. If I wanted, I could bring two. Wow! I bet I could fit 4, 8, even 12 bottles of water in my fucking bag if I wanted.

>sugar

I'll direct you to the giant storage unit of sugar that resides between your moobs and your fupa.

You act like it isn't possible, in extreme rural conditions, to have a fucking shuttle from a community to the train station, or god forbid, they move somewhere reasonable or go fuck themselves. If I chose to live in the middle of siberia, I wouldn't expect the govt to use taxpayer money to construct a 4 lane highway out to me.

>limited range

Organize your shopping so that you do t have to go every day. 10 mile trip takes around half an hour so that shouldn't be a problem. Get an e bike if there are a lot of hills, or you just want comfy riding.

yea lets tell the mining, forestry, gas/oil, and agricultural industries to move closer to the city
I see you have yet to leave your Williamsburg studio

Washing machine is only one example. Sorry your parents do everything for you and you never realise how the world actually works.

And you, you should never enter logistics. Please do not.

Also huge megastores in the middle of nowhere would obviously die in favour of smaller stores closer to the customers

How many people actually work in those industries? 500k? 1 million?

So, fine. I allow 1 million personal automobiles. It doesn't matter. The rest will be converted into environmentally sound coral reefs.
Yeah because every week I buy a new washing machine, what possible alternative do I have other than driving my cage to the Home Depot. If only there was some kind of invention that could deliver large objects on an as-needed basis!

>at a 1:1 ratio

I didn't know every single citizen had their own dedicated post truck. Why would delivery trucks not work the same way?

>stores spread to hell in a development mistake
>instead of admitting their mistake, let's keep paying billions of infrastructure costs, shitting the place up, and murdering people in car crashes from needless driving, instead of moving the stores closer to where the people actually live

Sunk cost fallacy.

Further, why do you WANT to spend all day zooming down this and that crowded, clogged highway in heavy traffic with assholes who can't drive trying to kill you, instead of just going to ONE center where all the stores are to buy your apparent small-village-level personal consumption need in one convenient location that would take a tenth of the time?

>Cars could be used for leisure outside of cities, in purpose made tracks and because they would only be owned for enthusiast, there wouldn't be a problem with fumes.

I always hear this argument, and it really doesn't make sense for the person who enjoys driving in general (not the track people), which includes doing basic things like a daily commute or going to the store. Nobody on Veeky Forums wants to pay to go to a track and only use their car once a week.

You don't seem to understand that trains can never come close to being a compelete replacement for cars. Not even trolleys.

I'm actually a proponent of local farming and reducing transportation. And mixed use land and close knit communities where you can bicycle to the store. But you seem to be in some fantasy world that just isn't feasible. There is no one solution to work for everyone. It is a lot more complex than you think.

>95% of people don't do anything but commute to the town/city
>well hurr all these people need cars becausse 5% of people actually work out here durrrrrrrrr

Could also, you know, company bus/shuttle from the community to the job site. But nooooooo.

I buy furniture once or twice per place I live. I move every 3 years or so. I can RENT a bloody truck once a year. You act like you buy a new washer or fridge or couch every day.

We can build walls around cities for the inhabitants protection. Anyone who tries to leave not on our designated (very efficient) and (very fast) railways will be shot on site. Rural and clearly (useless) states like Colorado or Utah will walled off for good.

Do you realize how many rural towns there are and how far some people live from them?

Literally there are some town here even in sc that are an hour from the closest metro area, and there are people an hour even further out from those small towns.

What you're proposing is not possible in the US.

Funny, because in plenty of asian and european nations they already are a complete replacement, except for the 0.1% of the population who are literal farmers.

There are very, very few people who legitimately need a vehicle. The rest just leech taxpayer money to fund their luxury and extravagence off the rest of us by ordering the government to cater to them at every turn, prioritize their personal transport over everyone else, in most cases completely neglect bike lanes, trains, light rails, buses, and even something as basic as a sidewalk because some entitled mcmansion living cuntnuts want to watch television while being out on their little lot of mexican-managed landscaping in some development out 60 miles from their workplace just to show off in front of the joneses. Why do I have to pay for YOU? Cagers want your 5 gorillion miles of roadways that need annual repair and constant updates and expansion, YOU pay for it. Stop shirking it off onto us by stealing our tax money for your personal pork.

kek

Of course it's possible, you just refuse to face reality.

There's no reason to maintain some bullshit rural road to nowhere just so some guy who thinks it's 1879 can live out there and masturbate his fantasy of being a self-reliant pioneer.

If someone wants to live out there it's fine. Just like in Alaska, bush planes exist. Vehicles that can drive on potholed, abandoned roads exist.

Resources should be focused on keeping things efficient where the free market wants them, and the free market wants people in cities. It's only the hangover effect of a post-industrial mistake that caused people to settle in these single-use subdivisions, far from the smoke-belching factories which no longer actually exist.

>like Colorado

>rural
>like colorado

You've never been here if you think that. I reckon you haven't been much rural if you think there aren't clusters of small, mostly self sufficient towns. You think they can't provide 99% of their own needs when the closest other town is a 2 hour drive?

>Literally there are some town here even in sc that are an hour from the closest metro area, and there are people an hour even further out from those small towns.

yes, and they stay in their own small town for the most part, and nearly no one actually commutes to the city daily because it is so cunting far. So what's the problem? Have quaint little towns scattered through the country, maybe twice daily rails out to the next one. How is that a problem? Hell, we already HAVE most of the rail paths built.

>not possible

Funny that as America survived fine when cars were still a rare luxury as late as the 50s and 60s.

Europe and Japan grew up around mass transportation.

The US did not.

Are you a yuropoor by chance?

>There's no reason to maintain some bullshit rural road to nowhere just so some guy who thinks it's 1879 can live out there and masturbate his fantasy of being a self-reliant pioneer

Except they don't under the current system of personal automobiles.

It is a town over 100 years old. Subdivisions are hell indeed.

Once again, might work for some but that cannot work for all. Too many variables. Sounds nice though.

I never go to those hellholes. Unforunately if you want any sort of variety you have to give in a bit. When did we get variety? When automobiles came about. Post-WW2 life has been greatly influenced by it.

I live in a small city and it takes me 10 mins to drive to the closest store, 30 for others I prefer. And I don't even have much traffic.

One center for shopping would be traffic hell. I don't want to bother explaining, so look up Le Corbusier. Great guy, but his plans to rebuild Europe in these zones would have just been a transportation hell.

>es, and they stay in their own small town for the most part, and nearly no one actually commutes to the city daily because it is so cunting far. So what's the problem? Have quaint little towns scattered through the country, maybe twice daily rails out to the next one. How is that a problem? Hell, we already HAVE most of the rail paths built.

are you fucking blind?

No, there aren't rail systems out here.

>Funny that as America survived fine when cars were still a rare luxury as late as the 50s and 60s.

What are horses?

Europe and Japan grew up around horse trails and walk paths.

The US had an opportunity to do it correctly but fucked it up by housing niggers in inner cities and making them undesirable for wealthy white people. If they had placed them in cheap commieblocks around suburbs and left inner cities untouched and desirable for white people there would be much less suburban hell and cars with much more efficient public transportation networks in cities.

Fuck off

I live in the Smoky Mountains about 2 hours from a decently sized city, and about an hour from a tourist area. If you expect to accomodate the millions of people who cover millions of square miles in the US you're fucking daft and need to go back to /n/.

The soviets tried connecting all the little Siberian towns and villages with their Trans Siberian Railway and it didn't work. Even with modern technology you CANNOT bring scheduled train/tram times down to under an hour in many parts of the country.

Many small European or Asian countries can possibly pull it off, but many of them such as France and Japan still rely heavily on automobiles for travel and transport in rural areas or small cities.

I Seriously hope you're a Poe, or that is sarcasm.

There is zero reason we cannot, instead of continuing to subsidize suburbs and semi-rural mcmansion sprawl, instead redirect future development to be walkable and transportable. Just make it incentivized to not use a personal automotive vehicle, at least just for daily commute, and the problem will solve itself. The government already subsidized oil (wars, extraction of our precious limited resource for fatasses to whisk themselves around without needing to, gasp, walk) and roads (taxes taxes TAXES). Just stop that fucking bullshit, make drivers pay what it actually costs to maintain ALL the infrastructure and resource acquisition/retirement for their entitled asses, and watch them flee like rats to the city on their own.

We made a mistake. Why do you insist on stubbornly continuing the mistake and not just fucking fixing it already and getting on with life? Vehicle necessitation drives the average person BROKE and costs us all economically.

I'm a proud freedomclap thank you, and I've moved to a sensible area with decent transit (neither coast you fag).

There are rail tracks, not rail systems, no. The car industry lobbied for their death so cucks like you can continue paying them a quarter of all the shekels you earn to maintain your precious rust wagon.

>horses

A rare luxury only the wealthy owned. 90% of people managed without. Oh, because towns were WALKABLE as people didn't labor under a delusion that they could live 90 miles out and have the government cater to their whims by using everyone else's money to construct a yellow brick road to their front step.

Or if everyone would stop being facetious and admit they purposely don't live near niggers and that they're a blight on the world, we could ship them back to apefrica and regain our cities as a safe, wholesome place to live and work.

Yet you expect US to accommodate YOUR desire to live the fuck out there by paying for your endless roadways that filth up the place and make everything ugly and disgusting. such an entitled little prat. Fucking move or pay for it yourself.

And you are everyone else. For the millionth time.

Do you always hire people to do stuff for you? Repair your sink? Rebuild a fence? Fix a window? If you aren't doing it for yourself, then you must have a bunch of service people. How are these people going to bring their tools and materials to your locations. Well I god damn hope they aren't bringing panes of glass on bicycles.

Furthermore, who has this fantasy of no accidents without personal cars when delivery trucks are all about? They are larger, have worse vision, handling, etc...

I'm not saying it cannot be done. It certainly can be done. But that would require demolishing most current structures. And don't act like this future is maintenance free. Rails, delivery truck roads, even bike paths all need it. And when things go bad because it is not a perfect fantasy world and the trains derail in the interchanges and kill hundreds because of neglect then people will be rallying for their roads back.

It is a lot easier to worry about your own personal maintenence than have to ensure that a massive transport system is maintained.

And the average person doesn't have a mansion, nor even a large house to begin with. Once again, another person with a warped vision of the world.

People in NYC don't even know where dirt come from. Get the vast majority off their arses to grow their own food and you've easily doubled the spread of the city to make way for the plants.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of people are not cleanly. If you want everywhere to all be community farms, then cities such as NYC (as just an example cannot exist anymore). Too much of a health risk.

Yeah, well I'm sorry the population is not many many times smaller like it once was. Will you be the first to euthanise yourself for the sake of others?

>Yet you expect US to accommodate YOUR desire to live the fuck out there by paying for your endless roadways that filth up the place and make everything ugly and disgusting. such an entitled little prat. Fucking move or pay for it yourself.
These "endless roadways" already exist, and we already live the fuck out here. We do pay for these roads. None of us want to pay for endless railways in addition to the roads that would still be necessary.

I'm the selfish one for wanting to save money and actually enjoy my life? You sound like the selfish one given you want to implement batshit insane ideas on the entire country just so you can take some rail system to your nearest Starbucks.

Spoilers: My work feeds up to 10,000 people a year. I've lived most of my life in cities until I started my business. I absolutely loathed city life, it was crowded, stressful, people were rude, and it was infested by assholes like you.

I'll stay rural and contribute to employing people and feeding people. You sit in your 500 sqft flat shitposting on an AUTOMOTIVE board.

"We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force -- is tending the light at the end of the tunnel."

Who is John Galt!?