Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
I desperately need some help.
I'm a car novice and I have a 1999 Subaru Forester L that seems to be having heat problems.
Whenever I have driven the car for a bit and then start slowing down or idling at lights, the temp gauge goes way up almost into the red. But when I start driving at normal city road speeds it goes down to mid-temp again.
Am I just an idiot? Am I overreacting? Or is this a problem?
If it is a problem, please specify.
I'm a portal that can't afford maintenance right now.
Pic is temp while the car is idle in the shade.

Other urls found in this thread:

subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/26238-draining-replacing-coolant-thermostat.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Poorfag* not portal.

Have your cooling system checked. Sounds like a valve is just stuck somewhere and the coolant isn't moving through the radiator to have the heat, you know, radiated.

subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/26238-draining-replacing-coolant-thermostat.html

lrn2wrench

Sounds like your fans might be out. Check to see if they're working while you're parked. Your car is gonna cool down while you're driving since it'll have air running through it. Good luck sir

Time for new head gaskets.

Step 1: Check your fucking coolant

your fan isnt engaging

change your thermostat op dont listen to anyone in this thread.

If you have more than 150k miles on it either get new headgaskets or run

>coming to the internet to fix your car
Take it to a mechanic, moron

thermostat

Motherfucker, where do you drive, work? GTFO "poorfag"

Check the thermostat, then fans, and then check for signs of bad head gaskets

this, check you fan fuel level. A lot of people neglect to top it off for the summer.

And his halogen fluid, right? Don't want to get caught in the dark.

exactly

its your fans not working, not the thermostat!!!

when you're driving, air is forced through the radiator and the engine cools off but when stopped it is the job of the electric fan to force air through the radiator. If the fan doesnt work, then the car will overheat when not moving.

The thermostat does NOT do anything different when you are moving or staying still. If your thermostat was stuck open or closed, driving wouldnt change anything

Here is the FSM jdmfsm.info look atit

FANS.

>redline that begins at 6k and ends at fucking 8

what's the fucking point?

Low blinker fluid. Also, have you check the dash air valve? That might also be the root.

It would be nice if it was the thermostat wouldn't it?

>Check to see if your fans are running

>Open your rad cap and start the car, see if there are bubbles coming out that just won't stop

>Do a chemical test on your coolant to see if it's your head gasket

>Look for any leaks on your thermostat housing that might draw air into your system.

>drain everything and take out your waterpump and thermostat, boil test them both.

But yeah, it sounds like it's your fan. Your fans are designed to draw air to cool your radiator when idling/standing still.

This is the reason my Outback was overheating- pull engine to remove head (ugh!) & don't forget to replace torque-to-yield head studs ($).

So many retards in this thread.

It's the fan clutch.