RAV4 Hybrid

Give me your advice pls.

MSRP = 29k

I'm seriously about to buy this thing.

Talk to me people!

Kill yourself

Why?

I'm upgrading from a 1999 Honda Civic.

literally designed for suburban soccer moms and crawling malls.

What should I drive then?

I want an SUV with decent gas mileage.

Sometimes, I have to move a room full of stuff with me several hundred miles. Also, I don't have to rent a truck when I pick up large things.

Veeky Forums is the absolute worst when it comes to giving advice.

If you're actually going to be hauling and moving stuff frequently and need 4wd, get it. If you just want the option but you're realistically never going to do any of that and just use it to ferry yourself to and from work everyday in traffic and take your wife and her son shopping on weekends then you're wasting your money

>I want an SUV with decent gas mileage.
What do you consider decent? Majority of full size suvs aren't going to go much higher than 24 city 30ish highway.

>Sometimes, I have to move a room full of stuff with me several hundred miles.
I mean if you're moving a lot of stuff I don't think a crossover like the rav4 would be much benefit. Crossovers are essentially lifted compact hatchbacks. Unless you can shell out a little more for a full sized suv, otherwise i'd recommend considering a wagon.

So you're going from a small sedan to a mid sized SUV? Why? SUV's are literally only decent when you decide to go into the mid-high end ones (40k+)

My friend has a 2014 RAV4 and it is constantly having issues. Whether it comes from the shitty breaks or just the various electrical issues he's had, its a nightmare.

Either get a wagon or a truck. The former is more economically viable and the latter are more reliable than SUV's in general and hold their value longer.

Ford f150 with the v8. Fuck off.

Don't ever talk to me or my wife's son ever again!

I've been moving shit around like twice a year for the last 8 years.

A lot of the desire for an SUV comes from a safety standpoint. I wanted a Honda fit, but driving in the snowy mountains sometimes really got me worried about death on the road.

RAV4 gets 34/31 gas mileage. That's better than my Honda Civic right now.

Truck mileage is garbage (unless you can point one out to me), but I considered trucks with campers.

A Honda fit kinda makes sense, but I don't feel safe in small cars anymore, and if I'm going to have the vehicle for 20 years, the comfort difference is going to be massive.

What would your friend do differently about his RAV4? Does he wish he would've had a better warranty? I thought Toyota's were supposed to be extremely reliable.

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Really appreciate the (you)s.

Wow bro.

What bum-fuck white-trash county did you grow up in?

Everyone knows Chevy is better.

keep in mind it will take you quite a while for you to see any financial returns from gas mileage on a brand new car. Especially if its expensive.

Subaru outback maybe? Safe, and relatively large.

The new ones with cvts apparently get very good highway. Then again, cvt, so who the fuck knows.

Yeah, but it's only 4k up from the base model, and only $700 for the similarly equipped non-hybrid.

If I'm going to have the car for 20 years (Kinda like my civic) then getting the very base model might not be a great idea.

If gas goes up 5 years from now though, it won't be as painful as Ford F-150 with the V8

I was expecting them to be way more expensive.

How are Subaru's with maintenance costs and reliability?

pops just got one
>hybrid gets 33 vs 25 with the gas in city driving
>room is ok, both tall dudes and we fit nice, might be not so nice if your xxl wide
>HOLY FUCK THE SUNROOF IS LOUD,if you get the luggage bars you hear it even when it's closed

He ended up getting a XLE, but he had to deal with sales bs before they would let him order it.Only 3 xle in our po-dunk state. Ended up getting reserved for the next allocated one, picked it up a week ago with 7 miles after his test drive. seems alright, but he paid 25 all together, so he dun gud.

If you have long legs you won't fit in it. Also the AWD turns itself off over 25 mph

Thirdly
>CVT

Holy fuck. 25k for the hybrid? Wow.

Also, I thought they made the cabin much quieter with the new models. Disappointed to hear that.

Your actually not really better of in an accident in a bigger car than a smaller one. SUVs are prone to rollover and harder to control in emergency situations. AWD of course helps though.

Nothing wrong with rav4s. A bit soccer momish IMO, but its a solid car. 4runners are all around better, but gas mileage isn't great
I drove an 08, I don't know what talking about with the leg room, I have longer legs and more than a enough space. The AWD is kinda shitty, in the snow it didn't feel much better than a regular FWD car

I'm 5'9" manlet. Can't be worse than my old civic. That thing is cramped as fuck.

I don't understand the new AWD they've got going with it, but I don't even know why poeple need AWD.

What's the value of AWD? Aren't tires way more important as far as handling goes? Nub here.

4runners are excellent except for the mileage and starting cost. They retain value like fucking crazy too.

In physics class it became very clear that heavier cars are much safer. That's why you don't get seatbelts on schoolbuses. The rollover risk is something I need to look into though. Thank you sir.

AWD is more about traction than handling. If you live somewhere it never snows you don't need it in a crossover.

I drove both the last gen and newer gen and with the seat all the way back my knees were almost touching the dash. I'm 6'4" mostly legs

Also to your comment to the OP about 4runners, they are nice but like $10k more than the Rav4. My parents just got one and I quite like it even though I'm not a huge fan of Toyota

Subarus have a few well established mechanical gremlins that crop up over time. Older models needed head gaskets before 200k, as an example. All of them are well documented, happen like clockwork or close enough to it, and are fairly straightforward to fix.

Stuff like the transmissions, or any other part of the drive train never seem to break. The cars don't give much of a fuck about salt, handle wonderfully in the shittiest slop road conditions, and are built like tanks. There's plenty of high accident areas in winter around here. Ask any wrecker in my area, and they will tell you they almost never tow one, and those that they do are generally crashes caused by other people or catastrophic levels of stupidity.

I've driven up hills with minor fishtails in my 2002 outback while people around me fell off the road and went into ditches, or slid back down the hill. Yeah, I've got the heavier LLbean edition, but even so, the car is just glued to the road. I routinely drive in conditions that my relatives and friends refuse to, and have rescued people during heavy storms. I can shove a 6 foot desk, recliner, or even a loveseat in it, and routinely strap an 18 foot canoe to the top when my extended family does camping trips. Put simply, it's versatile and handles well.

My only complaint is that the larger engine, and other mass hurts gas millage. I get almost exactly 25 MPG when doing 65. Bump it up to 75 and falls to 20 in a hurry. Newer models are more fuel efficient though.

My Crosstrek was susprisingly good in the snow and ice considering the awful stock tires were still on it. With better tires it'd be an animal.

My only complaint about the XV is I wish it had a turbo. I get pretty consistent 28-30 mpg but if it had 200hp/tq it'd be perfect.

get ready to hand in your balls

Cool car bro.

What do you drive?

An FC

Thanks bruv.

Don't get a SUV or crossover, they're useless. Consider these >Crossovers are essentially lifted compact hatchbacks

Get a Subaru Outback or a Volvo V60. The Subaru is tough as nails, realiable and whatnot. The Volvo is expensive but it's absolutely based in terms of safety, fuel economy and comfort.

New SUVs are garbage. Get a wagon or a normal car.

It's a piece of shit crossover. Are you a woman? Only women by these shitboxes. How are you cramped in your civic? I'm slightly taller and my 2001 is fine. The hybrid is stupid. You're paying a lot more for a couple extra mpg. You're not going to keep this car 20 years no matter what you think now. The only Rav4 that's decent is the v6 which was the last generation and killed in 2012. You should just rent a van or truck twice a year and save your money.

60k/5yr bumper to bumper warranty + 100k/1-yr powertrain

10 years powertrain obv.

MPG: 24 city / 29 highway

can get 4wd starting at about 25k.

overall safety rating is 4.

Don't get a old car, you'll spend all that money you're saving on fixing it.

So, what is op getting?

>jew
>buying new
Buy something old that gets 15mpg or better and you'll save more money.