Is it wrong i love the LS so much?

I hate GM. Like, i don't like a single one one of their cars...but if we take the general GM hate out of it and look at just the engine, i really like it.

>Intoxicating v8 sound (assuming you get 4 into one headers and cam it with a lunati voodoo cam)
>Light and small compared to other v8's
>Great powerband
>Makes power very cheap

I mean, it's a pretty damn good engine. Shame that it's the ONLY thing they can do right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VyBX3Qjs5Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=v8Oc5_fa0bY
youtu.be/PSb1nRKIJTA
youtube.com/watch?v=5KqvEsAEwNo
youtube.com/watch?v=y6we-DaSQ3I
youtube.com/watch?v=RePuQK0DVGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which one in particular OP?

>great powerband
not better than a 3.5L EcoBoost V6

op

what engine is your fave?

also what LS have you owned for more than a month?

what cars from GM could you even afford to buy?

also a cam is the most stupid boomer useless mod you can do way to ruin drivability

I personally like the ls3 for boosting, it's the only one i've owned.

But i hear great shit about the other ones.

Nah, lunati have a set of very mild cams, they're very good.

>Intoxicating v8 sound
>LS
Is this a joke?

>makes power very cheap
it's 7 fucking liters

Get 4 in one headers and the right straight pipe and it sounds like an oldschool v8.

Also, they sip gas when coasting on the highway. Sit in 6th gear and idle 1k rpm.

The ls is pretty damn fucking good, if it wasn't it would not be so popular.

Grab a stock ls3, throw a turbo on it and make 650-700hp without changing any internals.

Along with a great powerband, loads of torque and just a fun sound.

I don't understand why it gets so much shit, it seems like people with an agenda to hate it, honestly.

>it's 7 fucking liters
He means $ you autist.

>He actually thinks cams are bad

My fucking god top kek

>I don't understand why it gets so much shit
Ford realized Veeky Forums exists and they decided to shitpost

t. assmad gm fangirl

Even though the guy clearly said he hates GM this thread will probably still somehow trigger people's autism.

post paychek

you know what else sips gas at 1krpm in 6th gear? an engine that isn't 7 liters.

>i dont understand why it gets so much shit
because of benchracers who think it's good.

The ls sounds like crap, but the power is indeed very very cheap. Probably the cheapest hp/$ available. The hp/weight is also pretty awesome. It's a great engine, to bad about the sound though

>because of benchracers
You could have stopped here and have been correct.

a SBC can fit in anything that will hold an engine and makes decent N/A power for literally less than your tax return.
oh, wait, you don't have a job.

or just get an lsx454, it does everything the same as a tarbo ls3 but in a crate

sound can be changed by exhaust, for example a mild steel will give a different resonance to a titanium one.

they're really not that bad sounding. not my kind of engine, but i don't mind the sound at all, the crackles are nice.

But engines will always have a specific tone to them.

you'd have to put a shitload of effort in trying to make a 426 Hemi not sound like a 426 Hemi.

Yea, but my point is i don't get why people hate the sound. I live in australia so i always hear the HSV's crackling and popping with that nice deep v8 sound, it's pretty damn good.

It sounds a fuckton better than some 4cyl

you can get an entire sr20 drivetrain for $1500 and make 350whp with a tune, who cares? no one.

>less than your tax return
you're fucking delusional. the good ones aren't "cheap". the iron block truck engines are cheap.

people dont like sbc swaps because its in everything. because its the defacto "i dont care" swap. its over done and boring and most people dont care about raw numbers.

>It sounds a fuckton better than some 4cyl
I agree. I think it comes down to bandwagoning and blind hatred for GM from Fordposters.

>turdbo i4
No thanks.

>the good ones aren't "cheap"
You don't buy complete motors you retard.
You buy long blocks, they still need to be tuned.

>dont like sbc swaps because its in everything.
I believe you mean LS swaps. It's hard to find non-crate 350 SBCs anymore but then, 100 million+ Sbcs and friends have been made.
It's retarded not to use for a base for power.

be honest are you going to take that sr20 to 800hp though?

the ls very easily gets there, i think it deserves respect alongside the 2jz, rb26 and a few others.

i get it, some people don't personally like it but there's no need to knock it as hard as some cunts do, it's actually pretty fucking good.

now the cars they come in, yea those are fucking pigfat and can't handle for shit.

>you buy long blocks
okay have fun buying all the accessories, computer, loom, rest of the drivetrain.

>>>"cheap"

youtube.com/watch?v=VyBX3Qjs5Jo

I just googled cammed hsv, how the fuck do you aussies do this!!!

That sounds fucking baller!

>okay have fun buying all the accessories, computer, loom, rest of the drivetrain.
Jesus Christ I might as well off myself if people like this vote.

>how the fuck do you aussies do this!!!
They're inherently Mad Max.

no one on this board makes 800hp
and getting an 800hp ls isn't cheap or easy.

nor do you need 800hp for anything other than drag racing.

this is why people hate the ls, or specifically people who like it, clueless benchracers.

Did you think a long block included any of that?

An aluminum LS is not a cheap engine.

Defacto "I don't care swap?" I'd think you'd have to care a lot to want carry out a non-native swap like that, no matter how well established it is. Not to mention I guarantee whether it be a 240z, RX7, 240sx or whatever, there's more out there with original engines in them than Chevrolets. And I'd say raw numbers play a lot into most car enthusiasts decisions, but that's what I think, enlighten me since you seem to know about "most people."

>Did you think a long block included any of that?
No retard, the point of a long block is build off of it. That's why it's so cheap.

>i'm just going to put a motor in and hope it good
This is not how you get power.

I love my LS3 SS, with some bolt ons and a tune this car really wakes up.

Also incredibly easy to wrench on, have done all of the work myself

You're not even arguing any kind of point.

Building off a long block is the most expensive way to build an engine. This isn't debatable. Obviously you've never built an engine in your life.

>You're not even arguing any kind of point.
Yes is am. 350 Small Block is absolutely fine.

>Building off a long block is the most expensive way to build an engine

Holy shit a manifold and quadrajet is so expensive.

>An aluminum LS is not a cheap engine.
You can get a used ls2 with warranty for around 2000. Less if you spend time hunting for a better price.

I've had an ls1 and now an ls6. The ls1 had headers into 3" Y dumped before the rear. Really loved the way that sounded. Debating going long tubes with the ls6. Only cat back, but has dumps before cats on stock manifolds. I have one of the "louder" exhausts and I always think it sounds "quieter" than what ford and mopar put out. But that's because k only ever hear it from inside the cabin. Always sounds great outside. LS series are a great engine, especially when packaging and price are an issue. Just because it's been done a million times doesn't make it bad. I see why it seems played out, but when everyone is doing it, that just says good things about them.

>Building off a long block is the most expensive way to build an engine

Building off a short block.
Building from a bare block.
Having every piece custom CNC cut from billet in single runs.

>CAMZ R BAD
I bet you think tuning your car consists of just throwing a fucking turbo on it, huh?

>I bet you think tuning your car consists of just throwing a fucking turbo on it, huh?
Seems like what most of Veeky Forums thinks.

sounds like shit
overpriced
overrated
boring af

its mainly people not into cars that like them because theyre too shit to work with the original engine and need a swap

so whats your favorite engine then?

Honda B or Mazda Wankel

less weight
better hp/l
better sound
better looks
better technology
better racing heritage
more successful

welp

>less weight
half the cylinders, or none at all

>better hp/l
benchracer stats

>better sound
no

>better looks
no

>better technology
KISS. There's a reason some of the simplest mechanisms are still used.

>better racing heritage
KEK!!!!

>more successful
KEK!!!!

>less weight
true
>better hp/l
No, not even close. a sbc delivers much more hp per liter of gasoline consumed. There is nothing worse in terms of hp / liter of fuel than a wankel
>better sound
BRAAAPPPP
>better looks
generally no.
>better technology
eh
>better racing heritage
no
>more successful
no.

>Wankel
>Ever sounding good

I keep seeing people in these threads saying LS engines sound bad. The funk are you on about? Pls post videos of LS engines that sound bad so I can show you why that's wrong.

Even Modulars sound good
(tho slow as fuck)

youtube.com/watch?v=v8Oc5_fa0bY

pretty much every LS sounds like shit

dunno they just do

Post your car

>5 seconds in the 1/4 mile is slow as fuck

youtu.be/PSb1nRKIJTA

youtu.be/PSb1nRKIJTA

thought so... moving along.

I meant the Crown Vic

why

thats irrelevant

post an LS that doesnt sound like shit :^)

Kek nice Civic
:^)

Confirmed for having a hard time finding a video of an LS engine that sounds like shit. It's okay user, it's just your opinion. It's not like it really matters, right?

>Civic

CRX actually :^)

but its easy to do since they all sound like garbage

youtube.com/watch?v=5KqvEsAEwNo
youtube.com/watch?v=y6we-DaSQ3I
youtube.com/watch?v=RePuQK0DVGQ

I hate GM but I'll admit it's just because I grew up with a lot of Chevy fanboys.

Anything but GM breaks down
>hur hur well no shit it's a (insert manufacturer here)

Chevy breaks down
>Well I've been running it hard it was bound to crapout eventually.

>CRX actually :^)
HOLY SHIT THIS CAN'T BE REAL
OH MY GOOD LORD

lol

thats the face people make before I smoke the fuck out of them from the light

>thats the face people make before I smoke the fuck out of them from the light
AND IT LOOKS LIKE TRASH TOO

supposed to look like shit

you the type of fucker to get fooled by that stock exhaust

when I open the cutout its too late

>supposed to look like shit
See this is why i can't take you Hondacucks seriously.
The car was absolutely fine before before you touched it with your disgusting little hands.

>when I open the cutout its too late
anything later than 2.3 is too late bruv.

are you really taking bait this obvious

Yes because I'm too fucking bored.

>intoxicating V8 sound
sounds retarded like a mustang or something. the firing order is completely different from the SBC

>light and small
maybe if you get an all aluminum one that are $5000+ for a used one, and that doesn't even include machine work and replacement parts.

I can get a 350hp/350 for $3000~ and slap EZ-EFI on it for less than an LS

And it will sound cool, and it will have drivability, and it won't look ugly either- vortec/lsx intake manifolds make me want to vomit.

I guess if your goal is to build a race car or have something to throw in your beat to fuck S13 so you can spin in circles with all your snapback wearing skinny jean-clader skater friends then go ahead, EL ESS SWAP BRUHH

I think people who throw LS into rx7s and Z cars are among the worst scum alive.

reminder

What is it with the sudden wankle faggotry? A 13b with the turbo shit it needs to reach NA V8 power, allong with the mazda trans, weighs about the same as an aluminum LS engine and has a shitier torque curve. The LS is more street friendly at the same power levels, more reliable etc. An LS at 1k hp is much more feasible long term that a tweaked 13b.

*LS engine and T56

>LS1
>winning LeMans

top kek, my sides

Don't care about LeMans, TBQH. I'm talking street engines.

Re-reminder

>stoplight racing is more important than actual motorsports!!

Re-re-reminder

I never mentioned stoplight racing or argued that it's more important. However, you could daily a faster LS powered car than you could a wankle. YEs, you could then drive it to the track and actually race.

>you could daily a faster LS powered car than you could a wankle

on a straight line, maybe

but literally who cares about that

I'm talking engines, not vehicles. An LS in the same vehicle is more reliable at any given power level, especially approaching 1000hp.

Re-Re-Re-Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Reminder

> An LS in the same vehicle is more reliable at any given power level, especially approaching 1000hp.

then how come the fastest rx7s, for example, are powered by doritos?

>same time as a stock LS3 camaro

you do understand that this still doesn't help your case right?

reminder that you spend 40k to run 15 sec passes in your amerifat mobile

What kind of bolt-ons you got mate? Thinking of the standard stuff for mine (CAI, headers, exhaust).

>800whp
>12s
>mfw

because butthurt rotards make a concerted effort to keep the record "pure" after LS rx7 were stomping their times without even trying.

Firstly, because there really is a small percentage of people that do the swap. Second, those doritos would not run on the street at that power level. When you rebuild your engine every few passes, reliability doesn't matter much.

See: >I'm talking street engines.

Want to race me on the touge?
What's your BBM?

>fastest RX7s are rotary powered
>mazda won LeMans
>aluminium and billet rotaries are far far lighter than LS

>b-but they are butthurt

kek

>LS rx7 were stomping their times without even trying.
citation needed

Also, many RX-7 drag cars run in classes that either require them to use the wankle or artificially punish cars with more displacement.

>well if we just grab the very very small percentage of people who daily drive 100+hp cars, then the LS is better

I mean sure, its better for driving on a straight line, but thats pretty much it

like thats for plebs

>he thinks we are talking about drag racing

Since when does an engine dictate turning ability? If anything the LS's smoother power curve allows for more control. As stated the weight is basically a wash.

SEE:
Because that's a more direct measure of engine power. If you take cornering into consideration then many variables make the discussion useless.

>Because that's a more direct measure of engine power.
why not just get an engine dyno then

> then many variables make the discussion useless.
just like drag "racing"

>As stated the weight is basically a wash.
no it isn't

Plus coolant, plus manifolds, plus oil plus...

Dry weight doesn't mean shit. You don't drive it dry

Sure, for just output. For output and reliability, we have to look at miles driven at a given output.

Now add the turbos to get it to V8 power levels. Now add all of the electronics and trans. Now compare that to an AL LS engine and t56 at the same power level. There are also people that shave LS blocks to further reduce weight.

>post yfw an 3.5L EcoBoost V6 makes more power, torque and weighs less than a LT4 engine

LSX longblocks, the ones who can reliably make 1000+hp are around 450lbs dryweight

>Now add the turbos to get it to V8 power levels.
80lb?
>electronicsd
20lb?

>Now compare that to an AL LS engine and t56
an aluminium LS is like 450lbs with the flywheel, add 150lbs for a trans with clutch

I've seen time and time again that people measured their swapped LS RX-7s and the weight was about the same. Wet, installed and running weight. It's basically a meme that LS powered RX-7s are heavy.