/domg/ Dominions 4 General

Hilariously Bad Pretenders Edition

Previous Pantoman Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=JustMAgame
bato.to/comic/_/comics/schizanthus-r3707
dropbox.com/s/l16r7ashk0aewvy/Worthy_Heroes_v5.5NN.zip?dl=0
desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/fantomagoria-wraparound-173-land-59-sea
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for shilling.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=JustMAgame

>not b9
Why would he do that to himself

Tengu are better than oni and kappa

Sorry, did I hear you correctly?

I thought you said you were going to remove me.

Mage support

We honestly need to start compiling 'Mage Support' images for these situations

>lost all the soulless
A pyrrhic victory tbqh.

Tien Chi and Asphodel, I knew you were going to attack me at the same time. That's why I calculated which one of you had more forces, and deployed fort defence accordingly.

Did you really think you were going to break my second fort right away, China? Now it has 0 defence. Enough for you to try to breach. But you already know what's going to wait inside, don't you? Your overconfidence will be the reason of your demise.

I warned you about games without summod, but you didn't listen. Now it's time to reap what you sow.

Actually, it depends on what your dusk elders can cast. They might be able to clear it with just fire elemental spam

>wasting gems on battles you can win with skelespam and banefire

I mean that TC might be able to clear Ermor's stuff with fire elementals

Well, let's hope China brought some fire gems, right?

Right, China?

Right?

Did you bring the gems, China?

Did you bring those gems that would've saved you?

Where are the gems, China?

Huh?

Where are those fucking gems, China?

I honestly forgot if China really brought those gems. I gotta look up the last turn.

Well, I have some bad news and some good news.

Bad news, China didn't bring the gems.

Good news, China brought Gun. Everybody knows skeletons are weak against guns.

jjjust got it hoping to enjoy it. good luck have fun nerds

Prepare to drown.

And read the manual, I'm fucking serious.

>I warned you about games without summod, but you didn't listen. Now it's time to reap what you sow.

lol little nigga you're sitting on two provinces at turn 31, i'd chill a bit my man

Lizards have long lifespan. You can't fully appreciate what I'm doing.

>You can't fully appreciate what I'm doing.
Losing the game?

Also, Asspoodle is pretty big now, and it will eat TC if I die because TC basically has nowhere to expand and has like 8 provinces. If you really want to finish the game and win, I'd do something about that in the future if I were you. He lost 'some' black centaurs, as you can see.

I am prepared to lose a game or die if summod wills it, as long as kafir pigs who insult summod suffer. Summod akbar!

I'm trying to print it but i don't think i have 400 pieces of paper. fug.

Might order one for fun

Don't seriously do that, please. You can always alt-tab, you know.

just read the first 50 pages or so.

there are 50 useful pages and 250 pages of useless tables.

haha okay, thanks I'll read it for real though.

Whats summod that you guys are talking about?

It's a balance mod. Play vanilla first.

It's a balance mod.

It's basically alright, but balance talk in /domg/ inevitably hews to I'm Rock, Paper OP, Scissors Are Fine.

Used for multiplayer games to unfuck certain nations.

Don't bother with it until you have learned the game.

2 spots left.

China is kirr no matter what happens

Remember China as hero

China die so you rive!

Bad noos for you, skereton

China have boots of flying

dead

Man who run in front of car.

Get tired.

Not sure if Pan or other furry

just a man who likes bats

S-s-source please?

bato.to/comic/_/comics/schizanthus-r3707

send turns

Tablets are useful though, they are just a mess to get data out.
>rain doesn't have specific for snow/rain mechanics and fire magic
>storm does

If things like that were better organized we'd have a lot less retarded questions.

Uhh... Mari, do you need some tactical advice?

You're failing to take that province from AI a second time already...

Also, I didn't know Christmas is so early.

Give mari a break he probably bought into the crossbows OP pls nerf meme

A recap for those who missed the previous episode.

first ulm's capital and now this, Poor mari-chan

Hey man, he managed to repulse me. Then again, I've been under attack the whole game.

The worst part is it's myself whose attacking me, with all this shit freespawn I'd be better off never having.

Also, thx C'tis for the +10 pearls per turn.

Are you taking 15, or should I send some ghosts there?

my pleasure friend

Hey guys I'm away from my pc visiting my parents, thought I'd be able to take my turn tonight on their computer before bed but I'm not able to get the mod to work. I downloaded worthy heroes 5.5 (not sure what the NN is but I can't find that version of the mod) and I'm getting this error. Checked the game page on llamaserver and the mod download is no longer there. Neither is the map (do I need the map file as well?). If I can't get it to work I'm going to need an extension of a few hours but I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Forgot to include the game name, It's Magicka

dropbox.com/s/l16r7ashk0aewvy/Worthy_Heroes_v5.5NN.zip?dl=0

Thanks. Is that all I need or the map too?

The map's here: desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/fantomagoria-wraparound-173-land-59-sea

You can always just check Admin Options on llamaserver game page, links are usually on top.

That is currently my worthless shit depository. I need it to kill my worthless shit.

You can take it, but I'm not going to stop sending my worthless shit there.

What sort of pretender and scales would you all recommend for EA Mictlan? Thank you for your help!

F4W4E4A4S4N4D4B4 smoking mirror

N9B9 immobile imprisoned piece of shit with half-decent scales and dominion. Easy maerlande-style build.

Quadbless Jaguar

Asshole Batman

Xibalba does the same thing with +1 scale because Xibalba is always better than Mictlan at everything

Don't look at the other batgirl doujins by that guy, they're all TURBO MAXIMUM NTR MODE and it's awful.

it's fine. I only wish that particular bat comic became a series

>approaching end of year 2
>still no mention whatsoever of removing ermor

Good job guys keep it up.

Good to see that some /domg/ traditions like letting Ermor snowball and win are still in place.

Is possible to get an event to trigger upon a player's death?

Probably. But that would involve a lot of fuckery.

Pretty sure Man has been fighting him

I could get involved if you want. Get this match hot and spicy.

On which side?

>Turn already out
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. Okay, who didn't ask ask for a turn extension.

Looks like extension to me.

>a mere one hour
completely unacceptable.

Fistful admin, please give control back to Lambert.

What does Asshole Batman do? I've heard him mentioned before but is it just memes or is he amazing as an awake expander or something?

Fly to an enemy cap then assassinate stuff there from turn two or so. Makes it much harder for the other player to send out expansion parties

Hahaha. It seems like the sort of thing I'd love to do, though in a large game I'm only really screwing one player at a time, and potentially making more than one enemy by doing it.

Possibly.

Also worth noting that asshole batman can basically solo a nation if run with high dom score, since he can literally dom kill them if they don't have an awake pretender by sitting there (usually aided by the rapid arrival of sneaky flying priests, which Xibalba has access to)

Too bad getting a capital in the first 10 turns is never a good idea unless you're a diplomonster.

Oh wait this is /domg/ meaning everyone will expect someone else to handle the huge early threat, carry on.

Aha. I didn't think about that. Sadly, I don't think I get flying sneaky priests as EA Mictlan. But it's a devilish idea for an EA Xibalba game, thank you!

Imprisoned Statue of the Bloody Mother D4N9B9 with Dom8 O3S3H2G2M2D2 sound acceptable, or?

>Border with Ermor

Three possibilities.

>You ignore Ermor.
Ermor either completely slaps your shit in with a million morale-less freespawn and a tri-quadbless if it's early game. If it's midgame, they cast globals and fuck the entire world up. You lose either way.

>You fight Ermor and win
Congratulations, you may have just won yourself a 0 income 0 population dead province. Your troops will starve and get diseased if you stay here any longer. You can not push any deeper into Ermorian territory, unless you have supply items or nature mages at the ready. If you do manage to push deeper, you are likely to find one or more castles, which you can not siege because of the lack of supplies. If you actually manage to break the gate, skeleton spam ensures that you can not capture the fortress. Even if you do, you gain nothing. No resources, no income. A neighbour notices your momentary weakness and stabs you in the back. You lose.

>You pool up gems to cast Dispell
The person pooling the gems keeps them, potentially spending them on shit to kill you with. You can not get the gems back by any means. Even if you do manage to dispell a cancer global, Ermor can just put it up again in a few turns. Outside of the very late game, you can not stop this, you can not counter this. You lose.

Why is this cancer nation in the game again? Just rework it completely or remove it. There has not been a single game in /domg/ history where someone who had a border with Ermor during the first year and fought the cancer that ended up winning.

You forgot the most common.

>Ermor sucks shit and doesn't know what he is doing and ends up defeating himself. You could take his cap for some free gems but why bother. There is a noticeable improvement in his game when he goes AI.

Ermor is the /b/ of Dominions.

>There has not been a single game in /domg/ history where someone who had a border with Ermor during the first year and fought the cancer that ended up winning.
Wasn't there that one Nazca that took out Ermor early and then snowballed off the extra D gems?

It ended with me and TC owning half the world each, we decided that the battle between T3 Yomi and O3 TC would have been a massive fucking drag so one of us should just take the win. I do not remember how we decided who (might have been a dice roll, fuck if I know was ages ago) but in the end it was me.

I was lucky really, Marverni and Arco(?) started next to me with T3, so they got fucked over by Chaos Power 3 oni en masse, since I had a very good expansion and it gave me the gold to drown them in oni. The ~50 banefire spammers of which 20 Dai Oni took care of the mid-late game.

Is there any spell, item, trait, unit, etc that can bring population back to a 0 pop province? If not, do any of the popular mods offer options for this? Maybe a high level spell or a mechanic that allows provinces with positive growth and a population near the upper limit to have an immigration option or just passive natural spillover of people.

>not giving your asshole batman a shield, armor or a decent weapon before parking him on a cap
Shit nigga what are you doing

There are a few nations which benefit from gibbing Ermor early and getting that death income.

As the Ermor in that game, it was more Nazca beat me after around 20 or so turns of fighting. If anyone else in the game was competent (or Jotun hadn't AI'd) they could have won.

Ironically, I told Nazca that he should wait for there to be no other people who could use the weakened state he would be in to backstab before attacking me. Sadly, that condition was apparently realized on turn1.

What build did Nazca have?

What troops/mages did he use. I want to get into Nazca but I can't think of good skeleton removal strats for them.

Yeah, just checked the old TRN file, was Late Winter of year 5 when I was effectively beaten, so around turn 60 or so actually.

Jotun easily could have won with demon spam had he not gone AI for literally 0 reason.

Do people ever domkill Ermor?

For EA Mictlan, should I use this pretender?

He spammed Supaya, at a rate I couldn't match. Shinu and C'tis helped as well, but were utter morons that were easily slapped down. Took time and effort, and distracted my forces though.

It was a B9W9 bless. I had been beating them reliably, until a reverse communion killed me in a way I'll never know (thx llamaserver bug).

Err, this one

or this one?

Without a doubt 2

I would, however, consider Misf 1 and Magic 0, because of how luck scales work and the fact that blood hunting bad events suck

Oh shit nigga what are you doing
Never, ever, EVER mix misfortune and drain, even if you're gonna confine your dominion to more or less just your cap.
It unlocks some game-losing events.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds good to me. I'm used to taking O3M2 for most nations, but admittedly, they aren't as blood-focused as EA Mictlan.

Neither, use this bad boy

Hey, that's why I'm asking you guys! I .. kind of want to know what sort of events we're talking about. Some sort of morbid curiosity at work.

I worry about the lack of income here. But I guess who the fuck needs income if you have triple-bless jaguars?

Actually, because Mictlan can control its dom-spread much better than most, you usually run Drain 3 on the tribless build (yes, really) and then move mages out of your cap if you are going to leave them researching. You then research away from the core-dom that keeps you alive. This lets you take some luck scales, to get good events out of your shitty-income cap, since it and the surrounding areas are getting extra events from your Turmoil 3 anyways.

I would definitely NOT recommend this to a newer player, though, because if you don't manage your blood saccing, you can get dom-killed or just spread the drain-cancer across your land.