Lexus sc400

Any opinions on buying an sc400?

Other urls found in this thread:

driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/210610-uzz31-manual-experiment.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In my opinion, I don't have the money for such a bourgeois purchase.

>lower middle class income.

Don't become SC400Guy and you'll be golden.

1UZ engine is gud, A340 auto transmission is meh, the 400 didn't have a manual option. Swap in a W58 and call it a day

They go for under 5 grand though.

I thought he's called gs400guy.

Any opinions on the handling and power? Also is there a decent rear end swap available?

I want to like these cars but they're super heavy and auto-only.

They came in manual too idiot

Underated supra in diguise

The SC400 never came in stick, only the SC300

Power is decent, handling is meh. It's a heavy luxury coupe with comfy suspension

>They came in manual too idiot

Who's the idiot here?

They're amazing, but rare.

The demographics of Veeky Forums never seems to understand the concept of a touring car.

Because a race prepped touring car is an accurate representation of the stock car, right?

The stock car is a touring car you idiot. It's a large coupe that has a design emphasis on comfort, space, and high-speed/long distance travel and efficiency that doesn't fatigue the driver. It's not supposed to be lightweight or have razor handling.

>Swap in a W58 and call it a day

If only it was that simple.

The 1UZ V8 in the SC 400 was never offered with a manual, dummy.

>touring car

You mean a GT

If an LS swap into a Miata only costs 500 and can be done in an afternoon, this can be too

They're great for what they are: A relatively cheap and comfy personal luxury coupe. They're not painfully slow, but they not at all fast either. They only get like ~180hp to the wheels with the stock transmission. That's enough where they can get up to highway speeds on the on-ramp in a decent amount of time and pass cars and semis without drama, but don't expect to walk V6 Accords. 9

Don't bother modding it since there are no bolt-ons or kits for the 1UZ that would give it any significant gain in performance. Maybe a muffler for sound and some coil-overs and call it a day. If you want a fast 1UZ, prepare to spend big bucks on custom fabrications.

Also don't fall for the Toyota/Lexus reliability meme. People tend to believe reliable cars mean you can get away with neglecting it. Truth is they're just as prone to neglect as any other car and the aftermarket prices now mean that they've been in the hands of low-income people who can't afford to keep up with maintenance and maintenance for the 1UZ isn't cheap.

If you are serious about getting one, make sure that the timing belt has been replaced. The 1UZ became an interference engine in 1995 and the SC got it for MY1996 so that timing belt is important. Also the powersteering pump tends to leak which is a not just a problem for the steering, but the alternator is located right under the pump which can lead to another set of problems. The leather interior is prone to sun damage so if it still looking in good shape you can keep it that way and don't expose it to too much direct sun.

Also, try to get a 98+ since those ones have the more powerful VVT engine.

>this can be too

Based on what? Your experience?

Did you just assume that the W58 just bolts up to the 1UZ without any modifications?

>driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/210610-uzz31-manual-experiment.html

Get an SC300 for the less impossible to find manuél

pre 1997 models are better for moding,
The 98 model year is impossible to find but has 290HP and 300ft/tq

>implying an engine swap is the same as mating a transmission to an engine that wasn't designed for it

Veeky Forums everyone

The "meme" is that they won't start fucking puking oil everywhere, unlike Mercedes or BMW, or have unreplaceable "lifetime" fluids like Audi/VAG

>The 98 model year is impossible to find

Not really. They usually just have a higher asking price. The price gap from '97 to a '98 or newer is usually a thousand or more.

That's not how it's not how people tend to sell it, though.

Keeping up with maintenance is still important and not ignoring issues is still important.

its not the pump that leaks, its the return hose. Just do basic maintenance and nothing should ever leak on this motor. but you are right, parts are expensive.

I own a cd009 6 speed swapped 92 400. the manual transmission really wakes the car up, but dont expect to keep up with anything modern. If you do swap to the 350z 6 speed, change the rear gears to 97+ gears or the first 3 gears are basically redundant due to the torque the 1uz puts out. If you ask me though, these cars are meant to be automatic, the standard transmission really ruins the way they drive, its not needed. Find a nice model, any yea, and enjoy it. MAYBE get a 17-18 inch set of wheels just for the added handling benefits of a lower profile tire, and stock TT supra suspension is a MUST at least for me, it wallows to much with factory springs and struts.