Apex Turns on Public Roads

Is it worthwhile/prudent to follow a racing line on public roads. What about twisty mountain roads?

>inb4 stay in your lane
obviously, but there's still a lot of play if you have a small car to work with

>>inb4 stay in your lane
>obviously, but there's still a lot of play if you have a small car to work with
Stay in the MIDDLE of your lane, faggot.

How about you buy a decently sized vehicle and stop invading my safe-space with your bro-truck?

late apex best apex

late apex is an orthodox rain racing line

Late apex is probably the ideal line for riding/driving on public roads since it allows room for error on the exit so coming in too hot won't lead to running wide.

In most cars the lanes aren't wide enough to be able to have much of a line choice. Moving to the outside edge of your lane could be worthwhile for corner entry; The only real problem IMO is people crossing the double yellows. Motorcycles have a lot more room to work with but often the edges of the road have scattered gravel which can be really bad on a motorcycle.

Why is that?

My area doesnt have mountain roads or anything, but there are a lot of unnecessarily twisty highway on-ramps that are single lane and way wider than they need to be. This lets me simulate "using the whole track" followed by flooring it onto the highway all perfectly legally

My commute is also before dawn so the roads are empty enough to drive like a dick anyway

Explain all that to you the reporting officer after you kill someone. Then you insurance rep when ur at fault. Then getting you cocktail fruit tossed by your new cell mate. Or just keep it on track

something about maximizing acceleration sectors.

you're loading the tires less due to acceleration occurring on a line where its much straighter.

>you must be driving at excessive speeds to apex a turn
>accelerating quickly to the limit is an offense worthy of prison
>dicking around on a road with no people will kill the people that are not there
>if i do crash my car its my fault, but even then you dont go to prison for crashing a car by yourself

>ur

dont you have a bus to catch

I like to do this, in my lane of course and also only on single lane roads like on ramps or more county areas.

just do it in your lane
on most road you can fit 3 cars so you have space to maneuvers

I apex most corners. I drive like a dick but never have hit anyone.

on a mountain road ? that is suicidal

on turns that aren't blind, it's ok
at night apexing blind turns is a little less suicidal because you can see another car's lights from a long ways off

Then do it faggot why talk about it.

yeah i guess
mountain roads are i go skiing are almost always blind corner
with straight cliff on the side with sometimes little rock wall that are around 1.5 feet just enough so you could roll over it and end all the way down
but doing 90 km feels fast enough to have fun

>mfw when hitting apexes while hauling a trailer

I'M GONNA BE THE BEST TRAILER DRIVER ON THE TOUGE

Yeah, the less severe the turn, the more comfortable the ride is. Less speed loss = more fuel savings, tire wear, etc. There is literally no reason to not apex unless you're a grandma that always drives 20 under the limit.

do what? the thing i literally made a post about me doing?

My neighbourhood is retarded with a bunch of opportunities to do this and every texting soccer mom does twice the advisory speed and apex blind corners through the oncoming lane and take a racing line through this retardedly-placed chicane near my house. It's a miracle there aren't daily head-on collisions where I live.

>tfw no nearby chicane to tear through on the best racing line

No I stay in my lane all the time. I don't like to cross the center.

Bootlicker. Disregard common sense and aquire statist cock up your ass.

If you're in a car that is prone to oversteer (i.e. most shitboxes), wouldn't this be a bad line? It seems like you are asking for a quick trip to the ditch

>why talk about it.
because this is an automotive boards where people who own cars talk about driving them

>Is it worthwhile/prudent to follow a racing line on public roads.

So it's you guys making those right turns into the mall, gas station, or around the corner. Before you make the right turn, you move your car a foot into my lane that is to the left of your lane. Then you turn right. I hate that. Many times, cars have almost hit me or would have hit me if I had not swerved to the left in my lane and thus crossed either the double yellow or gone into the middle universal turn lane.

I've developed a habit in using a racing line when I'm driving, but I end up scaring people because they're not used to seeing someone go around a hard corner at 60 mph.

I live at the foot of the Appalachian mountains, in Atlanta, so most of the roads, here, are winding.

And, yes, I only use my lane.

Unless it's on a multi-lane highway, which I'll use all of the lanes on a corner, if nobody's in any of them.

Only use my lane because I'm not really interested in killing a motorcyclist or hitting another car. Most of the curvy roads around me are somewhat blind or obscured by trees and hills.

I go as wide as I can within lane (unless someone is near), and then clip the 'apex' being either the shoulder marker or close to the edge. I do autox and plan on track days. no need to drive like a douche.

what the fuck is it with certain highways having those kinds of twisty entrances
there's a few just like 15 mins from my neighborhood where you can loop a figure double 8 (4 leaf clover shape I guess). Tons of skid marks because kid drifters

>Saves tyre wear
>Saves fuel
>Saves suspension wear
>Saves brake wear
As long as it's not a blind corner and you're not endangering anyone there's no problem

>Driving road like pic related
>only car on the road
are you honestly going to stay in your lane, swerving around like an idiot at 20mph?
If so, you might as well catch the bus mate

>pic related

>Better example.
I know I'm going straight up the GUTS on that bitch.

Only real reason to ever follow racing lines is if you're on a motorcycle, and it's more because taking a late apex can help you see potential hazards coming out of a blind corner such as that one retard who couldn't stay in their lane.

Yes OP. It makes driving way more fun. However I never leave my lane, and it annoys me to watch incompetent drivers who aren't even going that fast still manage to end up outside their lane after a turn. If you're taking a late apex line on corners then you'll never end up outside your lane unless you're going way too fast.

Why is the green one in OP marked "correct"? I'm pretty sure the yellow one is faster.

You might get less acceleration out of the corner, but you carry more speed.