Guys, my car is on her last legs. Type "RIP JENNIFER" to pay your respects

Guys, my car is on her last legs. Type "RIP JENNIFER" to pay your respects.

Now on to the real question.

I'm 18, I make about $900 a paycheck, 1800 a month, I have no credit, and I need a car, and I want a fairly new car.

My rent is hella cheap, $200 a month, and other than that I have no responsibilities.

I'm between a 2014 focus ST and a 2015 GTI.

Which one should I get? Or should I get something completely different? Redpill me on hot hatches, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tcMO1EV2z9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Focus ST, duh.

Do you like over paying for broken things?

What's actually wrong with your current car?

So what do you drive currently, what is Jennifer?
Also why have you decided on the those two cars?

Why do you want a shitty fwd shitbox? If you know what you are doing, you get a WRX wagon.

Jennifer is a 2004 Jeep liberty, 3.7L v6, 5MT, 250819 miles. Last week she started pouring smoke, got my water pump and fan replaced, today my speedometer fluctuates but stays at 0 unless I'm not on the gas, my ABS light is on and ABS engages whenever I touch the brakes, I have a CEL, and my ebrake light is on. I start a new job tomorrow and I have to drive about 70 miles a day just for commute.

no not really

I know they're faster but I think I like the styling and the aftermarket support of the GTI more.

I actually completely forgot about subaru wagons, should I knock out the ST and replace it with an STI hatch? I live in CO so AWD is a nice feature.

If you like styling, get any fucking Mazda, the looks blow the fuck out of any non-supercar out there.
Who cares about fast, it's not like you're racing on public roads, and new Mazdas have superb handling.

You will live in squalor if you buy any of those cars new.

Your credit probably sucks, your payments will go through the roof because you don't make enough, and your insurance will break your balls for being a stupid 18 year old buying a brand new sports car.

You're an idiot, just settle on a used shit box.

Go for a second gen wrx wagon, they are reliable, look nice and unique, and you can get a good one for less than 13k

2012 Subaru WRX hatchback

Honestly, he will HAVE TO SETTLE for a used shitbox.

No dealer is going to give a 18 year old bagger a new ST or GTI, just ain't gonna happen.

how much do you make a month? how much cash do you have for a down payment? do you know your credit score?

Mazda3 owner here. It steers great but the 2.0L is really slow, and honestly nothing FWD will ever been very fun. It does look great though, especially lowered

Get a GTI.

But yeah, what these guys said-

The Fiesta ST might be a better buy for you, it is definitely one of the best buys that can be bought new for ~20k. Front seats are arguably more roomy in the Fiesta compared to the Focus. Focus does have better rear seats though.

Rip yennifer.

8500$ saved 750 credit

>200 a month
>Insurance
>Car repairs
>Car maintence
>Car upgrades
>DURRR SHOULD I GET A CAR FROM 2014/2015

This is why America is failing.

ever look at the fuse box behind the dash? They like to fill with water and play fun "what electronic system can I fuck with today" head games. Also that's the highest mileage Liberty I've heard of. Noice

Might as well cut your own balls if you're going to lease a car.

You should buy a 2001 buick sedan outright of 2500 from a dead man. Cheap, reliable, simple to fix. Dont get ahead of yourself.

I bought a mk6 2012 GTI with 19k miles on it and an extended warranty from the dealer for 17,200. Drove it to about 40k then get hit and had to total it out. Only had it for 1 year but drove the shit out of it and i had no issues whatsoever. It was a DSG. if I were to get another now Id prefer to go with a standard transmission in it but the DSG is fun because it makes a farting noise every time it shifts

Yeah I wouldn't buy a new car just to put a ton of commuter miles on it. Start building credit in different, more affordable ways.

I think buying used is the way to go, especially if you know how to inspect a vehicle. youtube.com/watch?v=tcMO1EV2z9M

Personally, I feel like people sell kias on craigslist WAYYY before they are done being good cars.

whats wrong with leasing a car?

You pay out the ass and in the end you're left with no money and no car

so if the car was 25k wouldnt leasing and buying be almost the same thing?

>not racing on public roads
what kind of a non-retard do you take me for

My 19 y/o friend with no credit pays $450 a month on his mk6 GTI and he makes less than I do and pays more in rent, and maintains a 2 pack a day habit just fine. TBQH I'd rather make payments because I don't want to go through the whole "no car" process while saving up, plus fuck a loan.

I think they're fairly ugly tbqh

That's an option

After overtime and minus taxes, I make about 3080 a month, give or take. Down payment, assume 0 but I could go up to probably 3000 out of savings or so. I have no credit.

>200 a month
that's my rent, dipshit. Military insurance is dipshit cheap because I run it through my mom's, like 50 a month. Repairs aren't awful, I can do most myself and I have several mechanic friends, one who's specifically euro.

I'll go check it out. My PCV system is also completely fucked, I'm pretty sure the speedo/abs problem is a result of my ebrake line shorting my speedo line. I just don't feel like dealing with it.

:( I'm sorry about your GTI. I'll get a standard but I'll just make mouth farts whenever I clutch in.

I'll look into it but i don't feel like dealing with saving up cash for a used car.

that only happens if you're a degenerate who can't maintain a budget

Truth

Depends on what kind of financial situation you are in. If you're wealthy then leasing the car for 3-5 years will be a far more sound investment then buying it outright when you consider all the factors that come with owning a car.
>maintenance
>depreciation value
>potential buyout cost compared to depreciation value and the initial cost.
>your future interest in owning the vehicle
It all depends on what you believe is more worthwhile. For example, I personally would never buy a mercedes, audi or BMW because those cars have terrible depreciation value due to the maintenance costs, so leasing them would make more sense in both the long run and short term. Over the 20 years you own that single audi you will have spent more on the initial cost and the maintenance then if you leased 4 different audis...

>that only happens if you're a degenerate who can't maintain a budget
>Implying you're not one already

Get a megané RS

>My 19 y/o friend with no credit pays $450 a month on his mk6 GTI and he makes less than I do and pays more in rent, and maintains a 2 pack a day habit just fine. TBQH I'd rather make payments because I don't want to go through the whole "no car" process while saving up, plus fuck a loan

>actually believing that a monthly payment of 450$ is a good enough standard to get a new car while living on a pleb wages, just because "muh friend did it".

kek, you're dumb.

Enjoy your daily rice and hot pockets diet for the next 4 years.

1800 a month?

Sorry kid, but you cant afford either of these cars. WIth no credit you will get butt fucked by APR. most likely 20% range. and your monthly payments will be in the $500+ tier and even worse if you dont have a decent down payment.

You also said "hella" so i can only assume you're under 25, meaning you will get butt fucked six ways till sunday on insurance for the ST.

PS a speed3 would be the superior choice.

This, I make 1900 a month when not working overtime and the only reason I have a decent car is because I bought it and paid it off while living with my parents. Otherwise I would be driving a shit box like a older civic.

An Abarth Punto.

I see a 96 month loan with 9% interest in OP's future.

any sort of quick Subaru is gonna rape you on insurance

Four
Hundred
Fifty
A Month
For
A
Fucking
GTI

You and your friend are both complete fucking retards, but this entire thread is fake anyway. You don't make 1800 a month, you're not 18, and you're not buying a new car.

Nothing to see here folks.

>I make $20,000 a year
>Which brand new car should I buy

you do not have a fucking credit score of 750, you're 18 and specifically stated that you have no credit.

That means you are a credit liability because you have no prior history and no one will give you a loan.

>less than 24,000 a year
>18
>Want a new car
You
Cannot
Afford
A
New
Car

>RIP JENNIFER

Don't dump all your income into a grocery getter.

You pay $200 for rent and you would rather dump your $1600 income into a vehicle and go fast modzzz. You either live at the moms or in a trap house.

Holy hell kid, buy a 3grand Civic and save your cash, build credit and get a house eventually. Srsly, the walmart JDM yo meets will wear off. In your situation buying a "new" car is retarded.

GTI shows 0 professionality.

Focus shows you are a serious responsible man who is not afraid of some fun.

Golf shows you are a scumbag that knows how to cook everybody's blood with your fucked up driving skills. Also, it instantly makes you a fan of Fast and Furious bullshit movies.

Why go for a new car, and sink your money into it?

Buy yourself a cool cossie. Take the Sierra for example, great car ultimate fun.

You can do it, but it's going to fucking suck. most of your money will be dumped into the car, especially if you want to pay it off quickly.

Things can change in your life and shits all fucked but you're still obligated to pay the car off. Not to mention how fucking expensive repairs will be if you don't have a warranty/extended factory warranty (not the upgraded shit they try to get you to buy). Your insurance is going to be hell if you're not on your parent's policy. You have 0 credit, and a mediocre paying job so getting a loan without a cosigner is going to be hard as hell. Even with one you'd get a bad rate.

I'm speaking from experience, but I had decent credit, and was a bit older still

>Buy a 20k car outright
>drive it for 3 years
>sell it for 10k

10k "spent" over 3 years

or

>Lease a car for 250 a month with 1000 down
>give it back to lease company after 3 years

10k "spent" over 3 years

of course it depends on the car, residual value etc but leasing the right (new) car can be a better use of money than buying used with no warranty and a load of money to fork out if shit goes wrong

>Jennifer is a 2004 Jeep liberty, 3.7L v6, 5MT, 250819 miles.
>liberty
RIP

mk7 Golfs are for the responsible people who like little sleepers

I'm going the opposite way of OP and looking at buying a 6M CRDi Liberty. How fucked am I?