Why shouldn't I buy a TJ for $4000?

So the jeep is a '99
> 155,000 miles
> 4 cylinder/5spd manual
> rare Intense Blue Pearlcoat paint (Not a huge fan of it in person, looks too "Kandy" for me)

Old dude is selling because he can't install child seats for his grandkids in it.
Went and checked it out, it drives and runs fine, a bit dirty but not abused

Talked him down to 4k USA from his asking of 5.

He doesn't have any maintenance records for it, but it seems to be in nice shape and well taken care of, previous owners were old people too.
Are the 4cyl jeeps decently reliable? Does it likely need a full overhaul like a 4.0 would at that mileage?

If not, what are some wear items that would be good to replace asap? Serpentine belt (?) looked alright, so did the timing chain.

I'm coming from a Miata so the lack of speed isn't an issue for me, just want a fun lil truck for the summer that can still do alright in the snow

I'm pretty sure it's a very good deal for a TJ, but I still find myself on the edge for some reason, mostly because I won't be able to run it on the touge every day/night like the MIat (I live in the foothills of the Rockies, amazing mountain driving roads 5 min from my house in any direction)

Any input and memery appreciated

pic rel

and it's got the sweet sweet Agate interior

So many jeep threads today.

Not a good DD and really the 4 cylinder is meh at best. I would get some awd instead. It also doesnt have the power for steep hills and bigger tires. So not a good DD and not a good trail vehicle so no.
But if you love the look of it and can get over how bad of a daily drive it is and the lack of power, go for it.
(still no)

That would be a great price if it was a 4.0L, but the 4 banger isn't terrible, especially with a manual. They do fine offroad in 4 lo, but on the highway with hills you might find the power lacking. At that price, I'd probably grab it, and if power became an issue do a drivetrain swap some summer while dd ing the miata.

Haha 4 cyl wrangler. How shit. Also, a 4.0 would not need a rebuild at 150k you cuck, and this is coming from someone who doesnt like jeeps. I bought a 99 4.0 auto hardtop for 2500 aus dollarydoos, so this seems like a ripoff.

A 4.0 wouldn't need an overhaul until like 350k

Also, you'll hate life with the 4 cyl. Getting on the highway will be like pulling hairs. You're better off getting one with the 4.0, especially since the empeegees will be close enough to be negligible between the two.

Shit ass 4 cylinder.

>4 cylinder

That's why.

If you really don't mind having a 4cyl Wrangler, talk him down to $3k.

Christ didn't mean to trigger you 4.0 lovers
just something I heard

Yes it is going to be a DD

My budget is $5000 and it's near impossible to find a decent (not beat to shit) 4.0 TJ for 5k in Colorado ski country

I went and drove a 2003 Forester XS, We had a '99 when I was growing up and I have fond memories of that little buggy.

the 2003 felt like absolute shit to drive! The transmission was incredibly vague, felt like trying to jack off an old man, and the seats didn't fold flat like our first gen

Any other DD recommendations?

Again I don't mid the slowness of a 4cyl in a Jeep, it fits its personality and it was fun enough to drive with a stick

Coming from an NA6 pained highway driving is old news

Plus i need the empeegis, everything I've read says you can squeeze a decent amount more mpg from the 4cyl+manual as opposed to the 4.0

Wasn't that the Jeep that took a shit on itself?
>comparing basket case XJ prices to a clean TJ
Good job retard. Now see how many dollarydoos you'll need to shell out for a Wrangler.

The original Jeep has always been a 4cyl calm the fuck HP-thirsty Americucks

>bad on roads
>awful offroad capabilities
>pathetic storage space so can't even use it as a shed

what's the point of a jeep again?

>awful offroad capabilities
Gonna require a citation that isn't vague shitposting and generalisations m8

Euro offroading is bombing down dirt roads in a land rover smelling of coffee beans and cigar smoke.

The 4 cylinder really is dog shit. Mpg is the same if not worse when you go above the stock tire size and it offers literally nothing as a benefit over the 4.0l 6 cylinder.

Look at 2000+ 4.0 TJs, 1997+ 4.0 XJs, 2000+ 4.7 WJs.

I have a 4.0 WJ and I hate myself for not waiting for a v8 version. Really no reason not to get the bigger engines when it comes to jeeps of any kind.

LMAO jeeps have hard times handling mild gravel roads on the stock suspension. ever hear of the DEATH WOBBLE? that's not even considering their air suspensions that explode like a cheap chinese desk chair or their love of exposing their under-sides towards the sky

Wat? Never mentioned it on this board before, it was a tj hardtop with a lift. Fucking gimp.

mine threw a piston skirt at 175k, otherwise rock solid. can't ask for an easier vehicle to work on. reman engine was $1500 and I was able to change it single handed over a couple weekends. can't go wrong at that price.

i forgot yeah, mine even with the reman engine has a hell of a time keeping up on the highway. i draft off of semis. they hate it but it's the only way to keep up. long uphill with no one breaking the air it's a struggle to keep it at 60, and that's at >1,000' elevation.

>it was things that never happened, gimp
Kek
>can't handle gravel roads
If you can't drive.
>Drath wobble
Relevant to those who can neither maintain a car or drive.
>air suspension
literally irrelevant. Good to see you resorting to generalizations tho.

and no, the mpg is shit shit shit.

Get a YJ instead

>>it was things that never happened, gimp
>Kek
Are you fucking retarded? Just because you overpay for everything doesn't mean everyone does. It was that ugly purple/blue, I'll post up pics later. Had a leak from the auto output seal, $8.50 and 45 minutes and she was a plumb runner.

Seriously fuck off. You can come back after you have a license you fucking child.

Ah, so your unusual find suddenly relates to median values?
>that's a ripoff mate, I found a unicorn at the end if a rainbow so that's what they're all worth
Opinion discarded.

Better off with an AWD explorer with rear LSD for $2000.

4.0 is the way to go for a wrangler.

I'm a mechanic, and 30 years old. I flip cars all the time. Just to trigger you more, I got an Audi s3 with a snapped timing belt for $1000. And my currently daily is an r51 diesel pathfinder than I got for $2500 with a fucked head. Stay cucked cunt.

>death wobbles and gravel roads are unrelated
are you merely pretending to be retarded? even mildly shitty city roads will wear out HEAP ball joints and fuck the stabilizer bar, there isn't even a question of maintenance when it's literally just the garbage they put on the suv

I sold it for $5500, and considering this is Australia, it makes ops 4 banger look fucking expensive.

That's what all neglectful owners claim. It the car's fault for deteriorating.
I'll give you a handsom spotters fee if you find me another similar R51 cunt. Seriously though, did you find it through auction? How much to repair it?

>with a fucked head
Considering you're a fuckhead, that's quite fitting fuckhead.

>That's what all neglectful owners claim. It the car's fault for deteriorating.

and that's what dealers would like everybody to believe

>ball joints wear out after 10k miles
driver's fault
>car shits itself in 5k miles
not driving it right

wait, you're not ACTUALLY a JEEP dealer are you? if you are you should kill yourself LOL

>I'll give you a handsom spotters fee if you find me another similar R51 cunt. Seriously though, did you find it through auction? How much to repair it?

Just keep an eye out on gumtree m8. Guy wanted $5k for it but offered him 2.5 and he took it. Are you the user that started the family trickster thread the other day? Brand new head, all gaskets, head bolts and clearances set cost me $1300.

Kek, someones salty that I make $500 an hour fucking around with cars on the weekend while he has no skills and sits in his mum's basement

Yep, that's me. At that price I imagine it was a bare head, and you exchange the valve gear over to the new one?
Sounds like I'm in the wrong trade.

Gotta get that I6

>while dd ing the miata.

here's miata

Nice, I'm on the user that was arguing for diesels and had the r51. Nope that was with valves, and valve clearances done by the machine shop, I hate shims. Where in aus are you?

Definitely not in the wrong trade though, normal wage is pretty average, only flipping makes good cash.

That's not bad value, and something I'd expect would cost closer to $3000.
I dare say I'm on the other side of the country amongst the other sand gropers.

After not quite getting a favorable market appraisal we were hoping for trying to refinance, I think we're putting the wagon idea on hold. I'm still keeping a close eye on NM and NP Pajeros, with R51s open in the next tab incase some unbelievable deal surfaces that's too good to refuse.

He's trolling, ignore him.

I'm originally from wa, Albany, but now in qld. The nm style pajs are a nice comfy bus, and fairly underrated, so bargains can be had.

Sadly after the mining boom it looks like favourable appraisals will be few and far between over that way for a while.

I like this cunt.