Cobra or GT?

Been thinking of trading my Mazda 3 in and getting a V8 mustang. I'm on the fence on which one though, found a 2004 Mustang Cobra terminator with 20k miles going for $24k that I'm really taking a liking to. But on the other hand, idk if I should just go all out and get a new 2016 GT. What would be the better option as far as performance and reliability goes? I need real advice here ok, no mustang jokes or GM/dodge fangirls trying to derail this thread

Terminator if you want old-school fun. Thing will kick the tires out on a dime.

Termi's are impressive still but honestly a new GT is a lot more to work with. Of course, for the price difference a cobra will shit all over a stock GT.

get a 15+ gt performance pack

source: i have one

wrong pic whoops

but srsly, get a base performance pack,

The new GT, why the fuck would you consider an old car?

>)
Yes, the performance and fair price range on the termi is what attracts me. But insurance is also a big factor in this too. Would full coverage be significantly cheaper on a terminator than a new gt?

I don't know, I'm not an insurance agent.

Mustang insurance in general tends to be pretty cheap if you aren't really young and dumb.

Just call your insurance company and ask.

Also the new GT has actual rear suspension and not a solid rear axle so it can go higher in horsepower without just squealing tires everywhere. Terminator is gonna be a fucking hoot out of the box though. If you wanna work on the car a lot and modify it and have the money to do so, go with the GT. Terminator is cheaper to dick around with but does have a ceiling for horsepower that it's already close to, and won't do as well on twisties.

How much did your base performance pack come out to be, with taxes and all?

i'm 27, my insurance is $115/mo 'full coverage' ive had a dui in the past 3 years, and a crap ton of speeding tickets in my late teens / early 20s

dunno about termi insurance, i think it being an 'SVT' will mark it up a bit

the terminator cobra is only prized by ford geeks.
its just the anemic 4.6 with better heads and and intake and a supercharger. to get the power of a 5.0

if you havent been on the internet lately you wont have noticed some 5.0 coyotes sticking it to the LS brigade.
the same engine has been around since 2011 yet no real performance upgrades are availible like they are for the loudmouth LS crowd.

anycar that hints at performance forget cheap insurance: every insurance company assumes everybody who owns a performace type car will thrash the living shit out of it. just buy the base gt. you can buy all the other performance stuff later on.

bought it used,(audi dealership) it had 3700 miles
some kid traded it in for a porsche

30487.29 out the door. (Virginia)

You sir have been the most honest and most helpful too. Thank you for your advice, and glad too see this thread is actually being helpful.

You got a heck of a deal! The new GT has better handling and more potential than the terminator, do to it being naturally aspirated

yeah, i think it had something to do with it being at an audi dealership that was literally surrounded by american car manufacturer's so they had to have a 'competive price'

i had spotted 1 other car that was in my price range but it was a premium with 10k miles, and 500 miles away.

it's not often people sell their 2015 performance pack shortly after buying them

right place right time kinda thing

im a ford geek : ) but im not a fan of fords blooper reel 4.6 engine. fine in standard form but if you start to throw money at it will be by the boat load

I own a built termi and have driven the new stangs, as well as many others. I won't lie, it is gonna be hard to beat N/A reliability of a brand new GT. Probably be something, that with the right oil, you could race for 30 minutes and cause no harm to the motor or car.

That Termi will hold its value though, and be a lot cheaper. Will run the same trap speed bone stock, and gets even better gains from bolt ons. Well, a 5.0 and termi motor will make about 420-430 whp with full exhaust, int, tune. However, a pulley will have it making closer to 500whp.

These new chassis and IRS handle incredibly, and can grip well even on shitty tires. However, the svt cobras are the same way, and perhaps even more controllable during a full out tail slide. I've had both cars to their limits and past, so im speaking from experience, unlike many of the other posters.

The cobra comes with a much better block, crank, and rods. Those pistons, being low mileage, still can handle a fuckton of power if you don't detonate and wear that teflon-like coating off. However, just new pistons and you've got something that can literally hold 800whp. Getting there is the hard part, boost costs money too in the end.

Most people telling you one way or the other haven't owned and driven them both like I have. The new GT might technically pull more g's on a skidpad, but for a grand you could have coilovers all around. A little more on swaybars, wheels, tires, springs and you'd be outperforming any new stock car. There's so much aftermarket out there for these cars and the 94-04 chassis, well even back to 79.

GTs will be everywhere, you'll pay 40+grand for it, in 7 years it'll be worth 15k if you're lucky. I love the new setup and the 5.0, but the cobra will hold that value much better. Hell, The termi in 7 years with a ton of mileage on it will still be worth more.

>That Termi will hold its value though
This, or even appreciate. Never by a base GT Mustang when there are so many desirable variants available that will always have better resale later.

Yea, there's also N/A 5.0s on 520 whp from being cammed and built...

You probably had a 2v. Yea, sucks paying for 2 expensive cams and barely making 20whp gains.

However, ported 03 cobra heads can flow 330-350 intake cfm at .500 lift. Yea, it only makes the power of a 5.0 because it has 8.5:1 compression and low boost off of a horrible supercharger. At that same compression with 17 psi off a 76MM turbo, you're looking at 750WHP. And the internals to handle it. The aluminum block 5.0 could crack well before that.

2004 cobra has irs

Personally I'd say go termi. I was in a somewhat similar situation (gm assmad fangirl here) and I chose the more "unique" option. The newer gt will definitely be more refined and reliable, but I gotta imagine the termi will be more fun upon purchase. If you get the termi and don't like it, sell it and lose no money on resale. Then go get a gt. but your best bet would be to find a termi and gt to drive. Considering your comparing those two cars, you seem like you would want the cobra more.

My brother has a terminator which I have driven a few times. The back end is extremely apt to spin on you if you don't feather it around the turns (especially if it has recently rained).

Can't say about the new GTs as I've never been in one in motion, but I hear they are fantastic dailys.

>not ecoboost