Im actually considering a mr2

Im actually considering a mr2
>Before Veeky Forums from car fags i know mr2's have a bad stigma around it
>after Veeky Forums i started liking mr2's
im not sure if this is meme magic at work but im liking this car more and more

But which one should i get ?
i would dump money into engine & turbo, breaks and suspention
(between 300,350 HP) goal

but interms of parts which one is cheaper easier to find ?

If you want to be making those power figures, go for a mkII. I'm about to pick up a gen one, and they make 110ish na, and 135ish hp supercharged. You could get 300 hp off a 4age or 4agze, and that would be sick, but it would cost a fortune and really not be worth it. Get a turbo gen II and get new cams, bigger turbo, etc.

The MR2 suits what you want better.

But the turbo engine should go in the trash. At those power levels, you'll be dealing with a lot of lag which is dangerous in a very twitchy RWD car like the MR2. Currently, the in thing is to do a 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 swap from a newer Toyota Camry, using the wiring harness and computer from a Lotus Evora. Tune the engine right (performance parts are starting to come out for it or are in development because it's such a popular MR2 swap), and 350 HP is easily achievable. The old adage "There's no replacement for displacement" holds true here. Pic related is a 2GR-FE swapped W20 MR2 getting a turbo thrown on. As a bonus, the V6 swap has other benefits. The entire V6 drivetrain is lighter than the entire drivetrain of the 2.0L Turbo, which means less rear weight bias, a lighter overall car, and better handling.

Alternatively, you could get a Pontiac Fiero. Infinitely easier to find and find parts for, and everything under the sun has been swapped into them from 2.3L Quad 4 Oldsmobile 4 bangers to big 7.0L LS7 V8's making over 500 HP.
Because of the detachable plastic body parts, it's easier to service than an MR2. Because of the overbuilt steel spaceframe chassis, it's MUCH safer than the MR2. And because the suspension was derived from 2 different cheap GM platforms (front suspension from a Chevette, rear suspension is like the front suspension of a GM A or W-body), it's less twitchy and more forgiving than the MR2 while having extremely similar cornering limits.
It also has more luggage space, is more comfortable, and quieter.

Uh, no you actually won't deal with that much lag is you get the twin scroll turbo manifold from the gen 3 3SGTE, and the CT6 twin scroll turbo, you'll have to swap out the pistons and redo the fuel system, but you can easily hit 300-350hp without a lot of lag, you're talking about swapping in a modern 3.5 V6 like it's nothing, except its actually more difficult that just working on the 3SGTE

>actually defending more lag, more weight and more twitchiness over a superior V6 swap

Get AW11.
Start with Mk1.Simply more worth it. I got mine as a second car( for 4k in pristine condition) Now thinking of getting the SW20 (one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen). So far experience with AW11 is that It never gets boring and I am always so invested in driving it. But I dump a shitload money into it. Its not for you if you are on shoestring budget.

>actually defending more lag
Reading comprehension nigger, do you have it?
>more weight
Nope, adding a V6 that gas no business being there is more weight
>more twitchiness
Bullshit, it would be worse with a V6

What do you spend the money on?

Fiero

Learn how to actually drive a mid engine car before you start trying to add crazy power. Throttle lift oversteer isn't a meme, it's all too real

You didn't read the original post. The entire V6 drivetrain, including transmission, is lighter than the turbo I4

I meant as far as maintenance goes.

A Fiero is infinitely easier to work on than ANY MR2.

But I want an mr2.

why?

I heard MR2s were badly gimped in American imports, is this true?

yes

What is gimped exactly?

>tfw sw30 isn't even considered

it's in the same price range as the sw20, weighs less, and can be built to 300whp on the stock 1zz with a turbo kit from MWR.

just throwin that out there.

>sw30

>implying it isn't the best gen

Because I don't like fieros
Or you could swap in a 2zz

you could, but if you're only looking for 300-350hp the 1zz can handle that.

MWR recommends building internals when you hit the 325+ mark, and they have tuned a lot of 1zz & 2zz's.

But then you don't get lift, plus is be happy with ~250 HP.

you won't get 250whp with an n/a 2zz

And how much work is involved in making the engine fit compared to not even haing to take the engine out to swap turbines. You sound like a $500 and an afternoon type of guy. Overoptimistic but have probably never even swapped anything before.

user everybody knows v6 mr2s are awesome but there's a good reason not many people have done them.

it's expensive as shit

what do you mean?

usdm market didn't get the naturally aspirated 3S-GE, we got the 3S-GTE turbo model and the 5S-FE camry engine n/a model.

it's zzw30, not sw30

American MR2 without a turbo has a really useless engine. May as well be an 800cc diesel.

The Boxster is a superior handling car and you can get 300hp out of a 1999+ Boxster S without an engine swap or even adding a turbo! (Porsche detuned the engine to exaggerate the difference between the Boxster and 911, you gain 25hp just from "desnorkling" the intake and installing a less restrictive exhaust.)

Big oil consumption,crampy engine bay, never stops rusting. I had to spend weeks and weeks on sanding and bondoing that shit. Tons of electrical problems I simply had to pay someone that knows that shit to get it to work. Also its like 9l/100km which is shitton in europe.

But it is so much fun and I love it so much its fucking ridiculous. I wouldn't part with it for any reason and it is going to be mine forever and ever.

I crashed it.

someone post the mister 2 girlfriend pasta

That's nice but they are more expensive and cost more to maintain.