How does police jurisdiction work? Can a highway patrol officer pull you over on regular streets...

How does police jurisdiction work? Can a highway patrol officer pull you over on regular streets, and can the city police pull you over on the freeway? I've been driving for 6 months now and still don't know

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3-SynJskIPQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cops are cops, I wouldn't mess with technicalities. Fuck, I even slowed down to the limit while passing a Ford Ranger that was a service vehicle for a local park because it had roof lights and lettering on the side.

yes, I was pulled over by a highway patrol on a back road because I slow rolled through a stop sign at night and got caught. Ended up getting a warning tho

From what I can tell most of them can pull you over nearly anywhere, but can only issue a ticket if it's in their jurisdiction. I live in a weird area where there's a little strip that goes from city limits to unincorporated and back again, if a city cop tries to pull someone over in the city but they pull over in the unincorporated either a Sheriff or CHP gets called in. Probably varies a lot state to state too.

HiPo has statewide jurisdiction (and in my area rivers and lakes for some fucking reason), sherrif has county wide, and local PD has city. All can do streets or highways in their jurisdiction.

And federal agencies have national jurisdiction. Shit like FBI, DOJ, ATF, and the Marshals.

>driving down the freeway checking my email server on my phone
>get pulled over by the FBI

USFS, BLM, NPS and FIsh and Game can't drop tickets anywhere they feel like. Has to be on their jurisdiction or if they have authority from county sheriffs, etc.

Apologies, Madam President. Enjoy your day!

It depends. In Texas, highway patrol has jurisdiction anywhere (there's no "state police" in Texas, highway patrol are the state troopers), county police obviously have jurisdiction in their county, but city police also technically have jurisdiction in the entire county as well although they aren't really supposed to pull you over for a minor traffic offense outside of their own city.

Texas Rangers have better things to do than pulling you over, but they also have jurisdiction in the entire state and I had to mention them anyway because they're cool.

That's very irresponsible of you to be texting while driving, and also sipping from an 40 of Olde English. You should really know better! Anyway, bye, have a good night!

What do Texas Rangers even do? Just drink, fuck bitches, and ride horses?

They are actually a small but very serious police force, aside from all the Hollywood shit and the gunfights against outlaws and Mexicans and injuns. They do detective work, riot control, provide security for the governor, and fight organized crime.

They also have no uniform, but are officially encouraged to wear ridiculous Western wear with huge cowboy hats and shiny belt buckles. Their badges are also stamped out of old Mexican coins because fuck Mexico.

Just remember: radio's> rubber.

short answer: yes. if you're breaking the law, you're breaking the law and they can enforce it. It's like asking which law enforcement officers have jurisdiction to stop you while you're robbing a gas station.

>old mexican coins are practically worthless

Are you stupid. They can't do shit to you

My point was I thought they were some sort of law enforcement, I'm new to the area and the police vehicles.

if you get pulled over by a city cop they can be dicks or really nice depending on how lucky you are

if you get pulled over by state you are getting a ticket

they can do whatever they like basically

>tucks wallet into back pocket
>"we hab found no reason to continue this inbestigation :DDD"

Is this guy wearing two belts?

Yup. Pants belt and gun belt.

>HiPo has statewide jurisdiction (and in my area rivers and lakes for some fucking reason), sherrif has county wide, and local PD has city. All can do streets or highways in their jurisdiction.

Same here. State Troopers are good anywhere in the state. Sheriff is good anywhere in the county. If there is a hot pursuit, the sheriff can arrest outside the county. The state has streamlined things to reduce jurisdiction warfare problems. The reason is that perps used the "wrongful arrest" argument and other technicalities too many times, so the state legislators got rid of that scofflaw defense by reducing the jurisdiction problems.

So are Texans.

Can't speak for other states, however in California, Highway Patrol officers are authorized to write up an enforce vehicle code violations on any public road, minus BLM land I believe. My exact accuracy on this maybe fuzzy, as the last ticket I wrote in many years was to a bitch LADOT traffic enforcement officer and that was out of spite, and I haven't worked patrol billets in nearly 6 years.

Municipal and county agencies are allowed to pull you over and cite you as well (assuming they have Code 3 lights on their vehicle) if they happen to be driving outside their jurisdiction on official business (inter-agency cooperation requiring travel to other cities and counties, visiting a jail to drop/pickup, etc), however it's so damn rare you hear about anyone poking their nose in someone else's backyard, it's not even worth mentioning.

If you are in Cali, there is ONE very very obscure LE agency to look out for that has the ability to give tickets on AND off duty with almost complete authority, although the chances of anyone running into a DMV Investigator for a traffic violation will be about as rare as encountering bigfoot.

In California CHP can pull you over off highway (legally debatable), but they can't ticket you.
They will just call a sheriff or city cop though if it warrants a ticket or arrest so it really doesn't matter.

A city cop or sheriff however can pull you over and ticket you regardless of the type of street as long as you're in their city or county, respectively.

jurisdiction is a meme.
the police operate above the law even if it wasn't a meme.

Fuck you, yes they can. A stupid ass cousin of mine got stopped by a park ranger for going probably 30 over the limit. The park ranger called highway patrol to come out and give him the ticket. A cop is a cop. If you're doing something royally stupid, they'll detain you and call another cop who has jurisdiction to fuck you over.

If the officer's title is a State something, like state trooper or state highway patrol, then they have no specific patrol areas. They are commonly out in rural areas where the local governments don't have the tax revenue to finance their own PDs.

If the officer has any other title then they are probably funded by the local municipality. This also includes "highway patrol" which are just municipal cops specifically assigned to the highway. Though usually their is a sheriff or deputy written somewhere on their car/person.

So long as they can signal you they can pull you over. The title of the officer is more telling of their patrol zones than their jurisdiction. Jurisdiction usually applies to where you go to jail when arrested. Some states are a little strange with where traffic tickets are issued from and where a specific officer can issue them.

Everywhere is so different. In Ontario a cop is a cop is a cop. Hell, my area has a yearly thing where city police from 3 different cities about an hour away from each other. Cops drive over in their own cities car, and normally take along a new recruit to show them how they do things.

Every year they have to remind people that they can pull anyone over any time.

I can only answer half your question.

NJSP have unlimited jurisdiction. They can go anywhere they feel. I've been followed all the way off 95 straight to my house by a marked car after cutting over a solid line. They didn't pull me over but I guess they were running my info. Newark has been so bad that they summoned the state to provide 20 troopers for regular patrols. The troopers regularly chase us in Newark on motorcycles while Newark PD doesn't bother. Pic related is a trooper in Hoboken getting a slice of pizza way off any highway.

As for regular police pulling people over on highways in NJ: I've never had an experience with that. I've seen them pull people over on Rt3 but I've passed them on 95 doing a considerable amount over the speed limit and never had a problem. The only thing I have is this video which adds to the confusion.

youtu.be/3-SynJskIPQ