/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

TWO Days Edition.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LĂ–VE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/qquip/oton-x-the-first-artificial-intelligent-game-conso
youtube.com/watch?v=4sq2lPNxi7M
youtube.com/watch?v=5vebKoO__8A
youtube.com/watch?v=PZbkF-15ObM
youtube.com/watch?v=FnIhibj9Cd0
soundcloud.com/pixeldirt/castle
soundcloud.com/pixeldirt/demo3?in=pixeldirt/sets/demo-tracks-for-theonian
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>2 days
Don't scare me like this user, we still have 3.

I was curious how the classic M&M style would look so I figured out how to do it real quick. It could maybe work. The problem is, it seems like it's purely just a style choice. All their sprites were generated from 3d models and animations rendered out to files, so the same amount of work has to be done regardless. And if you already have models with animations, you may as well just leave them 3d I guess? Billboards would help slightly since it always faces the camera, it would fix my dumb bug where the pathfinding makes them twitch all over the place when they get stuck on something.

Looks pretty great mate.

Bilboards don't really save you work, at some point I believe they even give you more work because you have to prerender every fucking frame of every fucking animation. For a realistic approach I would say they would be a bad idea, but for something more anime or retro looking they can look pretty nice.

>Just spent 4 hours trying to draw a simple laser bullet.
I have confirmed I am terrible at sprite art

lmao. try this. take a second image that's larger than this, set it's opacity to 10% and then use blend mode in your application and overlay that image on top of this.

yumm

I'm trying to make a fun, top-down stealth/action game. I have lots of programming knowledge and literally no ability to make art.

If I post a really great demo with fun gameplay using placeholder art, how difficult would it be to recruit an artist to work with me? I have a few people I can ping for music already, but when it comes to art I'm completely fucking lost,

It's a free asset he's giving away. I hope you're being ironic.

Ok friends. Which menu looks less retarded. I'm currently voting the bottom, as is my music guy. Honestly they both look pretty retarded.

What would be the best engine for a game with 2D sprites on a 3D world, similar to Pokemon B/W/2 or Recettear?

have you thought about getting an artist

Not an option.

If you post a fun prototype, it isn't too difficult to find an artist. The issue is there are people who have literally nothing, won't even say what their project is because they don't want it to be 'stolen' and how it's 'the most revolutionary game ever'. Then get mad that no one wants to work for them.

Unity.

Gamemaker's 3D stuff is terrible (at least it was last time I checked, years ago)
UE4 is will just add unnecessary bloat

I can't believe I never realized it.

It's trying to mock gamedev.

Do games without art need memes, or do meme games just not need art?

Some people are into boat.

The important thing is to not reply.

Ok, agdg, throw a coin in the well and make a wish.
>Fixed a lot of bugs today
>Added new sounds
>Added a couple of new obstacles
Still having some troubles with a really annoying bug and an animation that doesn't look good.

I definitely won't be an idiot like that. I've done some stuff in the startup world—talking to investors there involves laying every part of your company out.

So, the best course of action is "make demo, get artists, get funding somehow", then?

why are there 2 vine chars in the poster?
also isnt putting chars up in there gonna be awkward when some of them dont post a demo?

There will be no demos this demo day.

kickstarter.com/projects/qquip/oton-x-the-first-artificial-intelligent-game-conso
Why are you guys even bothering?

but every day is demo day.... even demo day

>tfw Internet breaks for 10 hours

It's just no man's sky without the hype.
Fool me once.

So is nobody going to do an adaptation of the blue adept? The nude space colony would be lewd

>Never successfully funded a project
>Algorithm made by a company that has literally nothing but a single console almost no one has ever heard about
>They themselves have no previous projects despite gloating about their immense experience
>1st party like Kid Destiny

I'm amazed it even got this many backers.

Poor man's Mario maker. Nothing new.

How much of your design doc do you make before you start working on your game?

>tfw you spot some small mistakes in your animation and decide to remake the entire thing from scratch instead of fixing them

As someone who never worked with tilemaps, is there a size limit? I heard that graphics card don't do too well with big enough tiles. What should I avoid when making tiles?

depends on how derivative your game is
if you're doing something new and interesting, it better be very thorough
otherwise there's no point - just write down the steps it takes to copy whatever you're copying and use it as a reference whenever you're stuck

If your tiles are as big as a screen resolution, they are too big.

>none of these games have been posted in agdg for months
bodes well

why is the hair textured right onto the head

They are steamchat games

I just projected the reference face image I'm working with on the model to preview how it would look with proper texturing.

My play area is 704 x 720
I planned to have tiles 180 x 180. Probably 6x6 so I can scroll vertically/horizontally comfortably.

So as long as I'm not doing massive like 1280x720 or 1920x1080 tiles it's fine?

#justintegeroverflowthings

it's that time again

youtube.com/watch?v=4sq2lPNxi7M

What should I do to my mouse to have a good mouse-cube character for player 2?

Don't use scaled primitives exclusively for one

>cube characters with simple shapes meant to look cute.

>Don't use scaled primitives.

Wew. I guess they should be custom shaped diamonds.

>what should I do
>>this
>no
>>ok

Anybody else planning (hoping?) to have their demo in for DDX at the last minute?
We have almost five days left to finish them!

youtube.com/watch?v=5vebKoO__8A its that time again

He asked what he should do for player 2 for a mouse-CUBE, aka give it a different texture or give it a top hat or something

it's time
youtube.com/watch?v=PZbkF-15ObM

That's a good way to not get your demo in time.

Il put some more textures, and clothing on him then I suppose.

youtube.com/watch?v=FnIhibj9Cd0

Get up, come along and join the scene
Live your life a dev machine

Think about Jerry and the other annoying faggot in diapers.
P1 gray mouse
P2 brownish mouse

Use a cube with a subdivision surface modifier and some support edges to keep the cubic shape while making it appear rounder.

Time to ship off all this fucking water to Africa, boys.

Better?

If your using maya, use animation layers. Once you get the hang of it, you dont have to pull your hair out while adjusting keys between keys.

go to google images
search "agdg"
pick a random meme
post it

>kids in africa will never know what is to have a 17'x17' block of water

frame by frame 2d

fuck this. i knew trump meme game was bad news. now even demo day has politics garbage

I want to bring back the "takes one to know one" retort

I coined the phrase "Pardon my french"

135 people have joined the lewd jam

Post your progress.

SFW board buddy

Whoops

Do people generally dust first or vacuum first? I need this for my maid game.

lol nvm

Dust, so that you can vacuum what dust falls on the floor.

You always dust before vacuum.

But won't the vacuum cleaner kick up dust in the air?

>Went to the archive to see what it was
>Will regret doing it for the rest of the week

It doesn't, or rather it shouldn't. Even if it did, that is nowhere near as bad as making your vacuum completely moot because after dusting you just threw a bunch of dust particle on the ground.

>500 poly whiskers
>12 poly tail
:/

>Not wanting Trish to sit on your face

I've been creating this model for some time, and I'd gladly like to hear what you think. To be honest, it's one of my "first" real creation using Blender.

I kinda put zero focus on the hands and feet so they do look like shit. The hair is the newest addition, a bit untouched as well.
She's just a random test character for a project.

Anatomy is all over the place -- did you use any references?

Ditch the cute girl approach for first time things and experimentation, it's detrimental.
I'd even say ditch anime as a basis for your work as a whole, and learn how anatomy works so you can stylize it with substance in the future instead of relaying on stylizations of some animator from another planet.

Arms are really weird, they look more like flapper than actual arms, Too short, too thin, and they get even thiner at the hands, totally the oposite of how arms work.
As ridiculous as this sounds don't use actual anime pictures for reference when modeling. Use MMD models instead,

Not really, no... I only used reference for the "outlines" so to speak.

Sound fair enough, I've always found joy in drawing monsters and such, I don't have to rely too much on "rules".

Thank you both.

3 days till demoday. Are you gonna make it?

>I only used reference for the "outlines"
That's usually fine, but even the silhouette looks very off
Anime often only looks good as flat images and can't be translated into 3D without looking very uncanny. You're better off using photos of a 3D person and adjusting the proportions as needed before slapping an anime head on it

>Sound fair enough, I've always found joy in drawing monsters and such, I don't have to rely too much on "rules".
Bad practice.
After you learn the basics of anatomy you can experiment with the "What if..." scenarios that make your own style really shine.

i can't endorse political memes either. maybe next demo day.

Had free time the last 5 hours, spent most of it trying to figure out what to do because I didn't want to waste time. Did nothing but waste time.

I'm starting to think demo day is detrimental to progress.

Thank you for the critique, I'll keep it in mind and develop my knowledge.

Another track for From The Black Lands by PixelDirt!

I really like this one!

soundcloud.com/pixeldirt/castle

>my game will never have this good music
Why even dev

Not with that attitude you won't

Do you devs pay some music guy to compose your songs?

Just wondering if I can make a living composing for indie games

I've been hunting for someone who can make music like this for literal years, so I'm really happy to finally have found him!

You can probably pay him to make music for you too, if you want.
(I can only afford to invest in a couple of songs for our first demo build now, but I hope to have him make the full soundtrack in the end)

Neat!

He just came along and made some demo tracks for us, and I've decided to pay for them now, yes.
This guy takes 40 CAD for a song, which is pretty fair in my opinion.

Here's another one he made for us, which I quite enjoy:
soundcloud.com/pixeldirt/demo3?in=pixeldirt/sets/demo-tracks-for-theonian

ikr

That's pretty awesome, user!

Gonna work on my demos then. I've been making music exclusively for my current project (some survival horror with limited resources retro graphics) and I've been getting some pretty good feedback.

of course you can, just maybe not on agdg since most of the devs are stingy as fuck.

>40
I'm pretty fucking jelly user.

>tfw you didn't think you'd be ready but you are
Hell yeah motherfuckers!
Though I'm not sure if I'll continue working on this after DDX