Tell me about Kei cars...

Tell me about Kei cars? I was doing some ambien listening to Giorgio and playing that game on my famicom and i was wondering if there are any you can get for cheap in America?

I am looking into the Honda DEL SOL
I want to race it guys its be pretty fucking amaizng i think

i always liked initial d when iw as a kid and it what drove me to keep going
now im old and poor and depressed and ij ust want to feel good again
i use to be so into cars man
then i had to sell them all
i just feelnothing but bad

thoghts?

The Honda Del Sol is not a kei car. It's too big.

Here are literal kei cars that HAVE been sold in America:
Suzuki Samurai
Suzuki Sidekick
Geo Tracker
Smart Fortwo
Geo Metro
Suzuki Swift
Suzuki X90

Everything else you find in America that's a kei car is imported. Keep in mind the engines for American market cars are twice the displacement and often more than twice as powerful because 'merica.

Too big

yes. The Del Sol is too big to be a kei car. japanese regulations are extremely strict, restricting kei cars to specific dimensions (length, and width, but no specifications for height). All Kei cars MUST have a 660 cc engine (just barely over half a liter) and can produce no more than 64 HP at most.
The only kei car in existence to not use every scrap of size allowed by the regulations is the Smart Fortwo.

The cars you suggested are too big

still considered kei cars in Japan. which is what matters. The US market versions had larger bumpers, bigger engines and suspension changes to suit the US market regulations

>too big.
They're a fuckton smaller than the Honda OP was considering.

>op wants fun race car
>suggests off Rosser and a geo metro

Kill yaself!

>OP says kei cars
>guys, he means racecars! I Swear!
fuck off retard. Go back to fucking your AE86 plush toy.

Suzuki Alto
Honda Beat
Honda S660

and none of them available in America.

>the only kei car in existence to not use every scrap of size allowed by the regulations is the Smart Fortwo
No. You're forgetting most of the kei sportscars that mazda and suzuki and honda came out with in the 90s.

You're gonna have to import, op. There's nothing in america that's actually a kei car, except the jimny (samurai). Get a Beat or an AZ-1

>No. You're forgetting most of the kei sportscars that mazda and suzuki and honda came out with in the 90s.
Those still used the maximum allowed length and width

Ah so they are. My bad.

jelly Americans. The alto is already importable and possibly early honda beats or toyota seras to burgerland

thanks
>import
man thats expensive

OP, I don't think you understand just how truly small a Japanese kei car is.
To illustrate the point, here is a Mazda Autozam AZ-1 next to a Chevrolet Suburban SUV

early beats are legal to import now, yeah

Richfags duck off as I am as

What? They are less than 10k in canuckistan, don't seem to get rice tax as other imports

Richfags

I'm sorry sir but 10k maplemuney isn't as much in American shekels. 1 CAD is like 0.72 USD

10k R32s here, 20k R32s in burgerland with is funny

The Del Sol was built on the Civic's platform. It was heavier, less practical, and more expensive than a Civic. Why would you want a Del Sol?

>Doing ambien
Hope you don't do this too often or you will literally become a zombie
t. Someone who used it to sleep for too long

I'm sorry if you think 10k is rich, you must be on ebt and live in the ultra ghetto

You're a dipshit

Don't forget the Daihatsu Charade

The smart is the kei car on that list dummy

cute

hes not wrong

It's smaller than a civic

the 3rd gen charade isn't a kei car
the only charade that's a kei car is the rebadged mira sold in europe and even those technically aren't kei cars because they have 989cc engine not 660cc

all kei cars have yellow license plates btw

Del Sol weighs 2522, EK Civic weighs 2359 for the coupe and a little more for the hatch. The wheelbase of the del Sol is 10 inches shorter though. That floppy chassis plus the added weight makes it a complete turn off for me though

>floppy
Nope

>smart
Engine is too big to be a kei
Same goes to most of that list
To be a kei car you need to have a 0.6cc engine
Smarts used to have that and were even sold as kei in Japan. But as soon the second gen came with the 0.9 turbo engines, they were no longer kei

Get a Suzuki cappuccino op
It's like the viper of the kei cars

Rwd is gross

>floppy
yep

What part of engines made bigger for the American market did you not understand? In Japan, the Smart is sold with a 660cc engine and is classified as a kei car. All that matters with that list is they are kei cars in JAPAN. god fucking damnit.
reading > you

vat de fook

Confirmed for not driving it
It's so fucking fantastic

>tfw want a small light weight three door hatchback with 80s or 90s styling for cheap
>tfw cant find anything

twingo

nope not cheap

I've driven it dude, a friend owns one. Its just as flexible as a miata, if not more. This is a known issue with the del Sol, there are tons of braces and bars that are on the market purely for the del Sol and it's floppy chassis. Everyone on the forums is aware of it and tries to fix it.

Lopping the roof off of a civic and modifying the rear subframe to allow the retractable rear window are going to hurt rigidity. It's not that hard to wrap your head around.

How poor are you if you can't afford a shitbox like Twingo?

>weld the roof in
Wow that was hard

twingo is probably over 8k man

Where do you live? Where I live they are about $600-700 USD

america

>buy a civic instead
wow that was hard

Also the roof is made of fiberglass, you can't "weld it in".

>civic instead
But those are pigfat and ugly

They weigh less you nigger

I take it you missed the line about usdm models getting different engines?

You're stupid.

Too big

Del sols are high 2200s to 2350s depending on trim you retard

>2522

It's 10 inches longer lol calm down

Geo Tracker is literally the perfect automobile

This is correct. Mine is pic related (taken a few hours ago after a night deep in the Rockies).

Cappuccino vs AZ-1
Which do you prefer and why?
I like the look and roof options of the cappuccino, but the AZ-1 is MR meme race

are you saying MR is better than FR?
Are you saying RWD is superior to FWD

>MR is better than FR
Not necessarily, but I don't know much about this subject
>RWD is superior to FWD
Isn't it?

The Cappucino and AZ-1 were both RWD so don't start the FWD vs RWD argument when it wasn't brought up.

Personally, I'd take the AZ1. And not because it's MR. I chose it because it has an enclosed roof. I don't like convertibles. I would quite like my head to stay attached to my body in a crash.

>Isn't it
No it's not

Neither of the cars I brought up are FWD, why did you have to bring this up?

because isnt FWD BAD

no. It isn't. Stop making a big deal out of this.

If FWD is so bad, explain by BMW repeatedly lost to a FWD Daewoo in the WTCC.

>2026
>can't find a decent Tracker/Sidekick that's not that disgusting 1999 and up bullshit

Why bother living.

Why bother living

FWD is shit fuck off

>assmad his glorious RWD god-machine BMW can't keep up with a FWD Daewoo.

BMW is shit and so is FWD, fuck off

>unironically posting a motorsport that penalises RWD to give the inferior drivetrain a chance
wew lad

It's not penalised because it's better it's penalised because it's weight distribution is different.

Cappuccino without a doubt. Can fit a 1299 up front and I prefer how they look.

They're convertible hard tops and people tend to stick cages in them anyway.

I've always wondered this since I've learned about kei cars. Could you fit a rotary in something like a Cappuccino?

Yes a 13B will fit. Nothing much bigger though. You'd be better off using a Hayabusa engine since either would require almost a full rebuild.