AM-RB 001 "Nebula"

Thoughts and opinions?

autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/aston-martin-am-rb-001-hypercar-revealed-exclusive-pictures

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/u1ISsEKcl88
youtube.com/watch?v=37AjQ1_EKn4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(cars)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/u1ISsEKcl88

youtube.com/watch?v=37AjQ1_EKn4

It looks so much out of this world from the back. Jesus Christ, this is a pure work of art and engineering.

>The car’s price is put at “£2-3 million” and those invited to buy one will be expected to lay down a deposit of £500k.

>Tfw no Shark Cards

>tfw it won't be the fastest around a track at all

cool memecar

>this is a pure work of art and engineering.

here are some problem with it:
>basic aero
>over 7' of ground clearance
>red bull
>aston matrin
>ridiculous price tag
>muh power to weight
>"only" 900hp
>n/a
>wheels not covered
>made by brits

>basic aero
no

>over 7' of ground clearance
So apparently you don't know what ground clearance is.

>"only" 900hp
the weight and power hasn't been confirmed but they are shooting for close to 1:1

Looks like a car I used to drive in gran turismo

aston martin NEED CASH FAST
they're almost bankrupt for fuck sakes
they shove the same V12 in all their cars
they're are struggling for so long now

watching the memelord Veeky Forums kiddies talk down on hypercars is truly hilarious

watching the memelord Veeky Forums kiddies talk down memelord Veeky Forums kiddies talking down hypercars is truly hilarious

what is there to talk about?
its a hypercar alright, destined to live in some guys plastic bubble and not be particularly that great around a track. only thing interesting is seeing how aston martin put the technologies theyve developed into their other, normal cars. and even then what is there to talk about at this very moment?

>basic aero
what did he mean by this?

Didn't they make a somewhat similar car last year?
I swear I saw someone racing one of those

They made a similar looking car for Gran Turismo, the double penetration 100

boring forgetable

not common enough to hold any value

They look nothing alike m8.
Starting by the underbody and rear, and wheel arches are also completely different.

Gay as fuck desu senpai.

BRZ's are still the ultimate god machine.

They already said it won't be the same V12 they have been using for this car. Are you retarded?

not that user, but, I can see the similarities quite clearly.

I think it looks cool, but the claim that is faster than an f1 car isn't very convincing. It doesn't look to be producing much downforce.

>> It doesn't look to be producing much downforce.

It's only designed by one of the greatest living aerodynamicists in the world. I'm sure it produces more downforce than your mom.

>they shove the same V12 in all their cars
Adrian Newey wants the engine to rev to 10k rpm for this car.

The entire front end is a fucking wing. This car looks like it could fucking fly.

Only because it looks "prototype-ish"? C'mon

your right user why didn't they fit a ground effect body kit and a GT wing

looks like another suprcool concept car that will never hit the stores 2 me :^D

I have my doubts this thing will be road legal in the US

Sauce on them nearing bankruptcy?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(cars)
F1 is being gimped all the time and besides its like that "so much down force can drive upside down" gimmick
no one will ever test it

Bump.

No, mostly the back end I see the similarity.

it's not the same V12.

>boring forgetable
>not common enough to hold any value

it looks like the beginnings of an LMP1 car honestly

>Aston
>Looks ugly
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING

Also, good work trying to match the Koenigsegg One:1.
You're only half a decade late.

>match the One:1
Maybe in power to weight ratio. The 001 would most likely dominate the Koenigsegg around any track if the performance is near claimed.

Also,
>ugly
No. It's pure aero and art combined.

It's fucking ugly, mate. There's plenty of aero cars around that don't look shit.

The One:1 is an example, it has fucktons of downforce and yet because it has a sledgehammer of an engine it can still do 440km/h, and it still manages to look great, not like an F1LMP with down syndrome.

That's the thing, it doesn't produce anywhere near the downforce that should be produced by the 001.

And yes the One:1 looks great but it's very conventional, and does not take advantage of ground effects like the 001 should.

I say should because everything is still up in the air, but it's not unlikely that the 001 will be light years faster than most everything, including many types of racecars, around a track.

It can't produce that much more downforce than the One:1, though, because it'll start snapping suspension parts at high speed bumps. The only real advantage it'll have is much less drag, but if they're only aiming for 900hp or so it won't really have any legs above 400km/h.

Because it's a road car, it won't be able to take full advantage of the ground effect like old school F1 did where they'd kick sparks when approaching top speed, reducing efficiency even more.

Honestly i don't see it being all that much faster than the One:1, although even if it's only a little quicker that would make it the fastest road legal car.

Just because it's not what you're used to, doesn't make it ugly. Except if you're a short minded conservatist.
Seriously though, it looks like a well sculpted open wheel race car. Stunning. All of my money.

I think that's conservative but fair. We'll just have to see.
It'll be an interesting development either way, but I think with the way this is designed, we'll see some pretty ridiculous times. Something like sub-1:58 around Spa.

WAT

Two totally different approaches here dude.

All the Koenigseggs effectively follow the same concept aero-wise; that it's easier to push for top speed by sending air around the car. The recent ones have the most air going under the car, getting a bit more volume flowing under the floor and diffuser, but still it's kept to a relative minimum because it's always more draggy. Think nascar floors, same kinda idea of managing airflow under the car going for high speed.

This thing's completely different, akin to an open wheeler or LMP1. Get as much air through the front and available for the leading edge of the floor/tunnel/s as possible. Full width multi-element front wing hung under a high nose with endplates and vortex generators? fucking check. Then they have to deal with that airflow like in F1 and LMP, they have bargeboards and a vertical 'ships bow' to get air between the wheels to go either side of the body. Then the leading edge of the floor has this massive volume of air to pull from - meaning less fucked up flow / higher air quality - and accelerates that RIGHT UNDER THE CENTER OF MASS for downforce at the most balanced point and out the rear end.

Now let's be honest here - the Aston is going to carry more drag. Because it's always harder to push air through a system than move it around a smooth shape. And it has less power. So why even bother going for 400kph? Just gear i for 360 or something and be done with it, no other car is going to touch it around a corner anyway, and if it gets onto the straight 50kph faster and with the engine already at full power, then it can cover anything off there too.

It looks like a Hot Wheels

continuing...

Only interesting thing is going to be how they manage temperature. Couple of tiny little intakes ahead of the rear wheel? Not great, airflow coming in could be iffy considering its position, and where is it going to exhaust that hot air? wheel wells are usually high-pressure, so maybe not there....

Engine intakes and other cooling - knowing Newey he's probably seen the Listers and stuck them in the sidepods above the floor and figured he can get away with it by feeding so much air under the front bodywork. If there's more radiators there, where to send their hot air?

Also could be funny to see this thing get the nose off the ground at high speed. Taller glasshouse than Group C and better airflow from under the front out the sides mean it shouldn't Mercedes it into the nearest forest. Should. Also, the higher leading edge of the floor might save it as well, if enough air can get through there and provide high pressure that far back, it might lift the ass enough to level the car out some.

Or I could be wrong and Ricciardo's Aston becomes the new Webber Mercedes.

It looks like either end could be the front.

>tfw no space pig

it looks kinda happy for something about to be blasted into space. Or maybe that's the premium soviet alcohol they're giving it to calm it down.

Call Ivan at the landing zone, tell him to fire up bbq, comrade.

It's a peaceful porker, with no fear, a true soviet.