Chevy Square Body

Whats Veeky Forumss opinion on the Chevy square body's. I'm thinking on doing a project truck with a k10 or 20.

pic related k10

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LvSoftqY4KE
jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5661193077.html
albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5670761156.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PIPfNFdXqI8
scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5643743492.html
bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5647015866.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Extremely easy and cheap to work on/maintain. Simple steel body panels that are easy to replace or repair on your own. Tons of room in the engine bay, enough to sit down comfortably with your feet on the frame while you're wrenching. Tons of room to work underneath, change your oil, replace your starter, fuel filter, and many other cheap parts without jackstands. Massive undying aftermarket. Loads of bolt-on performance boosters available. Endless supply of 350s and compatible transmissions available on Craigslist at all times.

Mine was my first vehicle and is the only vehicle I own today, I have no intentions of parting with it any time soon.

As with any classic vehicle you'll have to be extra careful while checking out your local options, there are a lot of people out there running their vehicles on low oil and neglecting routine maintenance. Do not be afraid to do a lengthy visual inspection on any truck you're about to by, check the oil level and quality, crawl underneath and check for frame rot, check the back of the engine and around the transmission for leaks, check the condition of all rubber hoses, look at the plug wires and battery terminals. Etc etc.

Paid 2 grand for this baby. I've rebuilt the engine about 1.5 yes ago, that 350 is making about 340 HP now. Put a 700r4 in it, I get up to 90-100 mph pretty often. Raced my girlfriends v6 mustang (it cuts off at 113) and she had it maxed out, and I was beginning to catch up pretty quick when the straight highway ran out. They are very easy to work on and they make fantastic sleepers. People think its just an old pickup

Love this one, any more pictures? $2000 sounds like a steal from what can be seen in that picture, nice paint too. Any minor issues that had to be dealt with when you bought it?

how bad are these on gas?

I want one with an 2.0 ecoboost.

(not memeing)

just enough for me to be able to tow 5k and still get good mpg when not towing.

my buddy just got an '85 k20 with a 350 in it manual
its a clean body but that thing needs a lot of work since some hillbilly wired it himself

If you have to ask then you can't afford it.

These fuckers practically have a toyota tax on them. Even a beat to shit k10 still somehow commands like 8000 dollaridoos

The 4X4s sell for a lot more on average, even if they're beat to shit. People just desperately want a return on their investment, they spend so much on mods and expect the value to increase in tandem, so we end up with a shit ton of thrashed 70s and 80s Blazers on Craigslist for $7000 and up, and they sit there in the listings unsold for a year. The same applies to Broncos, Land Cruisers, and just about any classic 4X4.

Single cab RWD square bodies are dirt cheap, I got my daily driver for $1200, only needed some new rear brake shoes.

Atrocious. On the highway with a typical 350 combo I'd say 10 MPG in rough shape, 13-15 MPG in average shape, 15-20 in well tuned shape.

Dumping local wildlife, this one's a sleeper, can't find the shot of his engine but it's a spotless crate 350. Sold for 5k last year.

Big block swap, probably a K20. Works at a transmission shop down the street.

>dually rear with fleetside bed
oh yes

>Buying Chevy
>Buying gasoline powered trucks
>Buying non 4x4
Triplekeks, best truck Cummins through.

Yeah it had headers on it that leaked like a motherfucker, tranny was leaking out of the front seal, no gauges worked because the other guy swapped in a 350 out of his old chevelle. I'd take more pics but I am working right now. Also the paint is all original, there's a few tiny imperfections but if I keep it buffed out it looks like it came out of the factory

The engine bays are very spacious for working on.
Simple stylish trucks imo

i wonder how many of these things still exist

>No mention of the Muscle Truck
Come on, guys.
>LS6 powered '74 C10 when

youtube.com/watch?v=LvSoftqY4KE

I started dd'ing one a year ago, no regrets.

>just replaced the heater core yesterday finally
>already put 6500 miles on the new motor in just over 2 months

Fucking beauty

I'm hard right now

Honestly I love my little 92 s10 its a good little putt around truck and the gas mileage is around 22 on a good day only knock I have about it is on my model(2.8 6cyl) it just doesn't have any get up and go

My neighbor used about a dozen of these for his well service business when I was growing up. Always wanted one. One of the only (if not the only) truck you can buy an off-the-shelf 12" lift for.

Btw, leaf springs all around and live axle up front. Stronk!

can I get some input on this C10 I found, good deal? etc

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/5661193077.html

Wicked truck for sure but I wouldn't call it a good deal, I've seen grabs like that go for $6000 - $7000 CAD, that's a good deal. It's always tempting to jump on opportunities like this but I guarantee it's not the last time you'll see one like it.

DO IT
>Any LS, small block, or big block of your choice
>n/a or boost, plenty of room under the hood for turbos or belt driven centrifugals
>any trans, i recommend either a th400 or 4L60
>any rear diff, i'd go 3.91 if wanting to daily, 4.10 or higher if you really want some grunt
>lift if 4x4, lower if 2wd
>do a skid ya sick cunt

Yeah only problem is >1stgencummins4wdtax

Seriously. That truck in your pic could have 500k miles and still sell for $8000.

Thanks man. Yeah price seemed a little higher than where I'd wanna be at. Didn't know if that was the norm for old type machines like these.

Why no K5 with removable roof?

You rang?

Well, I meant more towards OP in regards to his project. But man that takes me back. My cousin had a 88' K5 we used to go mudding in. I had a 76' powerwagon. You can still find exmils of both and Cheyennes for cheap.

That's been for sale for a few months now. Savage truck, but way too much money. It's essentially all done (so it seems), so theoretically you won't have to put much in into it, but 5 digits? Cmon now guy. It was on ebay also last month with a reserve and obviously didn't sell. Ones in decent shape like that should be around 6, 7 tops.

All that said, the truck is sexy as fuck and I'd love to own it. Oh well. My buddy got a 78 stepside with a 350 for 2k in Maryland a year or two ago. Just gotta wait for the right one.

No Elky love?

I think you can rest assured that the majority of the people monitoring this thread are absolutely down with the Elky. However, never in my life would I choose a fifth gen over a third gen.

I've never seen one of these Sport models with the groovy ass paint jobs in person before, such elusive beasts. I have a feeling there are many collectors out there hiding them away.

They're shit actually. I don't think I've ever been able to drive it more than 40 miles without it having an electrical issue and shitting the bed.

The good thing is the thing won't die once it's running. Drove it across the Dakotas to Kansas with absolutely nothing electrical working. Just had to leave it running for the 14 or so hours since I knew it wouldn't start again.

That truck has like 50k in parts on it including a 12 thousand dollar frame and suspension. No one on Veeky Forums is going to do that kind of build. It really only makes sense on a SEMA or magazine build where the cost is sponsored.

>cue freebird

I seriously want one so bad so I can learn to wrench on it and have that comfy bench seat and not have to baby something.

But the tax on the 4x4 versions is just fucked. And who the fuck buys a rwd truck unless you live in kansas?

You could be the first to swap one of those Supercharged Buick Regal / Pontiac Bonneville V6 engines into it.

Don't prevent yourself from having a wicked time over one feature. Yes 4x4 is a load of fun, but there are far more reasons to own a square body than that, if you're so concerned about 4x4 capabilities you should be looking for a better off-roading vehicle than a pickup truck anyway. You can always find yourself a beater 4x4 later like a 70s landcruiser with a 350 swap (more common than you'd think) that you can beat to shit in the bush instead of beating on your daily driver square body. I spend every weekend ripping around trails up in the mountains in a RWD and rarely find myself stuck in a rut, you'd be surprised where you can get RWD truck with some weight in the bed and a decent set of rear tires can get you. Again, obviously a 4x4 will climb you up higher, but (to me at least) the other reasons to find yourself a killer square body vastly outweigh the one disadvantage of RWD. You'll save money on the truck, gas, and parts by going with RWD now and finding yourself a 4x4 later.

Wouldn't be suitable for towing. The baby Eaton those come with get incredibly hot when under boost. I can't imagine that engine in a truck towing 5k. It would have the power for sure but longevity would definitely be an issue.

Thanks. That's info worth considering. Even the beat up C-10/20s around here seem to still be pretty expensive. Fortunately most of them seem to be sold by mexicans who will likely fold at the site of cash on hand.

Always love the pics of your scottsdale btw. And this is from a /p/ snob.

Thanks, I do what I can with a cellphone and photoshop, no money left over for a decent camera after gas and guitars. What's your area, I'm down for killing some time on Craigslist, seeing what's available in your neck of the woods, even if you're not ready to buy yet it's interesting to see what the market looks like place to place.

Different guy but if your looking to kill time. I'm in North Jersey, and I'm looking for a pre-80s box chevy, c-10 stepside or blazer.

New Mexico, Albuquerque area.

There's some restorations that are nice but of course insanely priced. Some beaters outside of town but the pictures suck and they rarely include interior shots. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any shortage out in the world.

The best camera is the one you have with you. Plus phone cams are getting so good the differences between it and pro-level cameras are becoming negligible for most people.

After a brief look, not much, but something.

Rare '77 Chevy Bonanza C20
- Groovy as fuck two tone paint
- Running 350 / 4 spd manual
- Reupholstered interior
- Rear air shocks for heavy loads (I have these on mine, excellent for added suspension and also for extra rear clearance while off road)
- Awesome front billet grille
- Looks like it has decent speakers
- $2750
- 30 mins from Alb

Maybe it's just my taste, I'm a huge sucker for faded two tone, but I'd be checking that truck out today and probably buying it if I lived in NM.

Going to keep looking in a bit.

Duramax 4 banger.

I am moving south (prob GA) in a year or so plan on getting a square body when I get there.

How much will it run me to get a decent example of a sub,k5,or c/k? Mainly want a decent body and an auto trans (I am a cuck I know).

Leaning towards a c/k because the bed would be more useful for hauling and the bench seat would good for "activities".

>implying any girl would want to bang in an old crusty c/k

I notice that the bench seats tend to be torn up in a lot of them. Is it worth it to try or pay to reupholster? Or would it be better to try to source another seat or just get a saddle blanket?

Forgot to ask this as well, how do they stack up as a DD? All I know for sure is that I'll probably cry while filling the tank

Link my man? A simple search for that title or c20 isn't turning it up.

>How much will it run me to get a decent example of a sub,k5,or c/k?
Up here in BC you can find a daily driver of either 3 for less than $4000 depending on the condition and the sanity of the seller. $1000 - $2500 for a daily driver square body is a good deal, $2500 - $3500 is steep, $3500 and up you're getting ripped off unless it's extremely well maintained or partially restored. I wouldn't pay more than $5000 for a square body of any shape or size unless it's rust free, has a crate or well rebuilt powertrain, and a nice coat of paint.

>Leaning towards a c/k because the bed would be more useful for hauling
A friend of mine daily drove a '77 K5 for a bit. He grieved over lack of hauling space quite often. K5's are insanely fun off road, they're powerful, built like tanks, and not as cumbersome as Suburbans, but they're not ideal for everyday truck tasks. Suburban's are a step up for hauling since they have a full length bed, but you're stuck with a permanent canopy which limits hauling height and side access, a pain when you're hauling a shit ton of camping gear and wood for all of your buddies in the summer, or moving fridges and large furniture throughout the year, and prevents you from chilling in the back of your truck drinking beers and shootin' the shit.

The only disadvantage to C/K 10s or 20s is passenger space (which if you're like me and don't want your truck full of assholes and their garbage all of the time is actually an advantage), you're more likely to have shit stolen out of your bed by pedestrians (not an issue if you keep your shit secured or hidden), and no 4x4 (which takes some fun out of off-roading but keeps more cash in your wallet).

In my opinion K10s are the most versatile square body if you have the money to drive a V8 4X4 around all of the time.

>implying any girl would want to bang in an old crusty c/k

You'd be surprised. Lots of country girls love old trucks up here in rural Canada, I'd imagine it's still a thing in GA.

How the fuck did I forget the link lol, my bad.
albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5670761156.html

if it runs and drives good and isn't rotted that's a huge fucking steal for that price

>I notice that the bench seats tend to be torn up in a lot of them. Is it worth it to try or pay to reupholster? Or would it be better to try to source another seat or just get a saddle blanket?
Most people just throw a saddle blanket on it, I've never even seen my real seat, I know it's ripped to shit I can feel the duct tape underneath, but saddle blankets look better, they're tougher, and cheaply replaceable, fuck stock seat upholstery.

>Forgot to ask this as well, how do they stack up as a DD? All I know for sure is that I'll probably cry while filling the tank
They're very reliable if the engine/trans have been well oiled they're entire lives, they're about as simple as a vehicle can get and extremely easy to learn quickly, parts are cheap and always readily available, but fuel mileage is absolutely fucking atrocious. You have to be in a stable financial situation to daily one of these. I have seen people financially cripple themselves on fuel alone daily driving square bodies. I commute 100 km a day in mine and cover probably 300 km a weekend, it costs me about ~$800 a month for fuel, insane, but if rockin' around in square bodies is what you want it don't matter, smiles per gallon.

Proper reupholster for a bench seat usually runs $800-1100 it seems, that's new foam and new cover entirely and well done. You can get new foam and a cover online for about half that or less, the guy I bought my truck from used a velour cover kit off Brothers trucks, not sure if the foam was new or not, but here's a shot of mine.

>I've seen the kit online, $200 for the cover.

it's not one for over top the original fabric like some, it's the actual fabric kit.

Truth right here. I average 10mpg in town, I don't even bother tracking highway mileage, and I try and not think about the monthly fuel bill. But it's worth it, love my truck to death and it puts a smile on my face everyday.
Reliable as frig too, I've never been stranded or had anything major go out with mine, everything is preventative maintenance, besides doing a crate motor swap and rebuilding the trans.

Question for ya

I really like C10 stepsides, but they are either too expensive or beat to shit.

Could I get a short bed C10, and put a stepside bed on it? Either from the junk yard or aftermarket from LMC or whatever.

It's been done before so yes, the only thing I can think of different between fleetside and stepside is gas tank location and the filler neck I believe, and obviously tail lights.

People cut long bed frames to fit a short box on, anything possible.

>You have to be in a stable financial situation to daily one of these. I have seen people financially cripple themselves on fuel alone daily driving square bodies. I commute 100 km a day in mine and cover probably 300 km a weekend, it costs me about ~$800 a month for fuel, insane, but if rockin' around in square bodies is what you want it don't matter, smiles per gallon.

Didn't think about that, don't drive much right now but I'll be doing a fair bit more after I move. Not $800/month though. Might end up getting something small after the square body for when I don't need the cargo space.

I don't suppose anyone knows of anything that is fun,

chevy luv obviously

>chevy luv
I need this in my life.

Or a Sub Brat, since it is a japanese baby El Camino,

I think it is safe to say I am not gonna find either of those on the cheap.

There's a chick who has a 454 swapped fully restored luv north of my town. I want to marry her.

Buddy!

What part of ABQ?

So would you say you Luv her?

Don't worry folks, I'm here all night.

>>cue freebird
fuck that, it's like a rock time
youtube.com/watch?v=PIPfNFdXqI8

Not sure what your budget is, this one is a bit steep at $4000, but holy shit is it ever nice. Beautiful rebuilt 350/350 combo, looks like very solid work. Spotless body with a great paint job, decent interior with some dash tears/cracks, looks like he added an aftermarket tachometer and a few other gauges. Very clean all around. Hour and a half drive to Hazleton out of state from North Jersey.

scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5643743492.html

I'll keep looking for something cheaper but man NJ looks dry in the square body department. However there is an unusual amount of old Chevy panel trucks out there, something we don't have nearly enough of in western Canada.

>all these beautiful classic chebbys.
Chevy square body is going to be my next truck I swear to god

I don't see them pop up too often but it's not as rare as you'd think. There's '78 LUV just over the border from me right now that is pretty beat to shit but apparently runs and drives well for $1000. It's unmolested too, still has the original 4 cyl, if it actually does run well it probably gets wicked mileage for a truck, they were advertised as getting ~30 MPG on average from the factory.

bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5647015866.html

Thanks bud. Not really interested in a long bed though..Stepsides and maybe a short bed if it tickles my fancy. Oh and old blazers