New STI

Hey Veeky Forums convince me not to buy a brand new STI.

I'm pretty interested in them, most likely going to trade in my current vehicle (once it's paid off in a year) to get one.

Buy an older Impreza and put in the same power in a 1000 pound lighter vehicle for half the cost.

Brand new STI's aren't worth it just get the WRX

If you want an STI get one of the jap classics, a blob or a hawkeye

NASOC/Scoobynet/Whatever local owners clubs you have will have any info you need on common issues

TL/DR Suspension damage, rust, Rust, RUST, crash damage, driven like an idiot, not maintained are the obvious ones.

Check for rod knock, coolant, oil, what oil was used, wheel bearing play, DODGY TRANNYS, dodgy gears, smoke.

its a little underpowered for it's weight and the fact that it's awd in my opinion. I mean you could buy a new brz and an off the shelf crawford turbo kit plus a set of nice tires and come in with more power and less money.

but other than that it's fine.

RSTi is the only right answer tbqh senpai

ever think maybe some people don't want a 20 year old, hooned on shitbox?

2017 STI still uses the older engine which isn't that much more powerful than the newer ones in the non-STI WRX's.

Like said just get a WRX or wait like a year for the newer engines to get put into them.

Owner of a 2004 WRX here.

If you want my advice, wait another year or two.
The EJ25 that's in the STi now is almost 20 years old. It's bulletproof but it's showing its age.
However the FA engine in the new WRXs is getting a bigger turbo and more powah for its use in future STi cars.

Be patient, save your money, and wait for the good stuff to come out.

That much more powerful for the price point that is.

>some people don't want a 20 year old, hooned on shitbox
Then they wouldn't be on Veeky Forums

>EJ25
>bulletproof
you can't seriously believe that

Can anyone explain what the big deal with the new engine is supposed to be? I'll be looking into STis in 3-4 years.

>Bulletproof
what is ringland failure
what makes this engine bulletproof
why do EVO's with the same mods and turbos make more power
why do all subaru owners vape and suck dick
why is the tax for owning an sti retardedly high

coulda had a v8

faster per dollar spent
less complex/more reliable

But I do own a v8. I just need another AWD vehicle for the winters in CO and I didn't want to stick with a boring tribeca or a civic or something.

Get winter tires, stick some shit in the trunk, and stop being a little bitch. Are you really going to use "muh winter, muh AWD" as an excuse to waste $30k+ on a grocery-getter with a wing and 15-year old engine?

c/o/lorado bro?

I've done that for years. I just wanted another vehicle to have as a fun DD that I don't have to worry about leaving me stranded. It's just an idea don't get so buttmad senpai.

Yup yup, you Colorado as well?

Get a jeep xj and boost it.

What area?

Up in the peyton/falcon area at the moment. But I frequently make trips down to Garden of the Gods for weekly hooning.

Don't get a new STI, it has an old ass engine that they have to keep fucking with to get it to meet environmental standards. A WRX is a better buy with the new engine. I'd wait a little for the new generation if you had to buy new.

Colorado here as well, Denver but possibly moving to Montrose.

RIP, too far to unknowingly meet you

also too far

If all you care about is branding, get one

New wrxs have a great motor. New stis have a dinosaur motor. What till they put a new engine in the STI that uses the same tech as the wrx.

/thread

Best fulfillment of OP's request to be convinced

Because an evo has similar power and mod-ability minus the shit reliability.

I like the ej25 in my gf's forester
in australia subarus seem to be common at 300-400,000km
ive noticed many impreza wrx and imprez wrx sti sellers will comment on how the engine in the car is reconditioned or outright replaced at x km...may indicate theyre shit or just the car got thrashed

I thought it was more like, if you can get past the branding and dudebros, get one. What is a even marginally comparable car in your mind? The RS and the R which both outperform it, I guess. Sti isn't a hatch though