22RE

I need a motor whisperer. Second time I had to rebuild this motor in three months. Had a main bearing failure. Anybody familiar with these?

you're doing something wrong.

are you getting it tanked to clear out all the oil passages? are you checking the oil pump clearances? crank thrust in spec?

even el cheapo enginetech rebuild kits will last 50k+

either it's starved for oil or something is out of spec.

Why the hell are you rebuilding it? Just get a reman.

>get a reman.
junkyard $400

like he said OP something must be out of spec
did you even measure when before you started re-assembling? i used to rebuild diesel engines and you do just as much measuring as wrenching
you cant just throw everything together and expect it to work

Bought brand new crank, rebuild kit, new oil pump.
Torqued everything to spec mug ran fine for about 300 miles then developed a tap in the bottom end.

either a bearing is starved from a blockage or something is out of spec that's all it could be.

you checked the bearing clearances and shit right? lint free rags / coffee filters / assembly lube / etc etc?

Yea, what kind of lube? Moly?

Reman 1,500

No it doesn't make me an expert mechanic but i do own one of these and have worked on it quite a bit. Like the other anons said, if you're rebuilding it measure fucking EVERYTHING before you reassemble. Of it isn't wigging spec don't put it back together. Also not a bad idea to have the block tanked and cleaned out. People tend to abuse these engines because they will take it and keep running. If a main bearing failed shortly after a rebuild it seems like it would be one of three things.
>something was out of spec on the block or crank when you reassembled it and a race could spin
>the assembly lube didnt hold up when you started it back up (improper amount or type)
>or you didn't prime the oil pump gears and it ran for however long without proper lubrcation.
Props for picking one of these though OP. They are fun to wrench on.

Fuck my phone. *within spec

Same user. Just go to yotatech, there is a TON of info there

What kind of lube? How do you prime the oil pump gears? I thought it was the timing chain tensioner?

>tfw i use vasoline

They hell are you doing wrong that you keep lunching bearings? You're putting it back together wrong.

Permatex makes engine assembly lube, I haven't used it since I haven't done a total rebuild on mine. Do some research to find out what people have the best results with, just be sure to use it liberally on bearings and around the pistons. For the camshaft And valve assembly I would douse it in clean engine oil once you have it put together before you out the valve cover on. And you can dip the oil pump gears in clean engine oil or just pack them with vasoline like said. I dont follow what you mean by the chain tensioner though. On that subject though I highly recommend a kit with a steel backed drivers side guide and make certain you dont over torque the tensioner bolts or else it will stick.

Real constructive post right here.

But then it runs for another 200k.

Real constructive post right there

Real constructive post right there

True. Nevermind talking about solutions to a problem though. This is Veeky Forums after all.

meant for

did you even check oil clearances with platigauge

when you buy a crank they mostly come undersized so you have to buy an oversized bearing kit

You have no oil pressure. Your main bearing clearance is fucked. Your crank is not straight. Etc etc. Plus 22r is a massive piece of dogshit op. Should just throw it in the river and put something else in there.

>22r is a massive piece of dogshit

My "engine builder" put together the long block for me.Basically fucked me. I'm putting it together this time and I'm going to pastigauge all the journals.

That's why it's got over 300,000? This being the first major failure? An it's 22re faggot.

Have you driven one? Gutless and horrible fuel economy. I had one in a 4runner that couldn't even pull an empty car trailer up a hill on the highway.

22re just means it's got injection instead of a carb you peanut. No wonder you can't build a motor that lasts.

It's not a 350 dude. It is gutless. Takes it a min to get up but it will go when it does. But extremely reliable.

No, it was that bad I had to turn around and get a patrol instead. Drinks like a fish too. Reliable as fuck though.

No shit. You the one that left out the e. I didn't build this one, paid an older guy who a couple people vouched for him. I just got the parts. I am going to rebuild it myself this time.

Mine does ok pushing 33's. I wouldn't want it in a 4 runner though would rather have the 3.slow or 3.4

>horrible fuel economy

What clapped out piece of shit did you drive? I average low 20s driving like a maniac.

Leaving out the e is irrelevant if you actually understand toyota engine designations. Have you even checked oil pressure or any of the simle things yet?

Lrn2read