/agdg/ - Always Gonna Dev General

PROGRESS edition

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!gNAj3R7R!ISIXl4QrxF4ADzxC8NFpaA
godot-engine.zeef.com/andre.antonio.schmitz
github.com/Calinou/awesome-godot
soundcloud.com/prutte-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for unity is garbage

Second for still no Discord link in the copypasta

What language are the cool kids using?
Is learning Pygame worth it?

fourth for COWBOYVANIA games

Python and Pygame both suck.

>finished basic gameplay
>finally implemented level clears and deaths
>tfw now I have to make levels for DDX and I have no idea how to make fun levels or effectively teach my mechanics

Given any thought to a new fail screen?
The current one looks very out of place.

Learn Lua and Love2D if you're a beginner.

Care to share some of your favorite pieces of low poly artwork/assets for inspiration sake anons?

>Source """"engine"""" will never be included in the OP again
Feels good.

>could begin drinking and deving right now
>only have gin and no mixer
I need tonic water

I will make a new one right now and you post feedback when ready.

>couldn't even make a map in garry's mod
:|

not first for reminder not to reply to attention whores who have little to no game

Gonna echo the other user, if you know python. Learning lua shouldn't take much longer.

Arikado didn't post that, I did. Most of the art in the game is made by Arikado.

There is an outline around the sprite briefly after absorbing the blood blobs.

o-okay

I'll dump some but you can have this in the meantime:
mega.nz/#F!gNAj3R7R!ISIXl4QrxF4ADzxC8NFpaA

You should only idea guy if you are drinking more than a buzz. If you are getting sloshed, bar yourself from your code.

If you want to use Python you might as well use Godot, the language is close to Python and it preforms way better than Pygame ever will.

I dig it.

>tried to run arikado off the board
>couldn't
>still salty

>I only have mixer.
I'll trade you.

>never came close to making a game
>couldn't even make a simple map in hammer
>hides out in steamchat and shitposts his political opinions in agdg instead
>gets all his posts deleted routinely exposing his samefagging
>doesn't kill himself

>show normie roommate game
>not impressed
fuck you guys lied to me.

steamchat isnt even a thing anymore newfag

Is it done yet?
Normie's only see polished finished products so that's what they expect to see.

That's a freaky face

Did it have music, user.

Even bfxr music makes simple games look amazing to normies.

scary

What game is it?

yeah, he liked the music.

>once did a gamejam with a musicfag
>game was done in html5/js/canvas
>fucker sent me a 1.4 GB raw music file and went all muh autistic sterophilia when i told him he had to compress it

>not a thing
so can it be removed from the OP already?

FLAC

>he actually sent you the raw .wav
madman

Wish there was a solution for .wavs though, hearing them compressed is depressing.

I showed my roommates my game and they thought it was cool. But I think they were just being polite.

Just convert them to .midi

(You)

>1.4 GB raw music file
Was it 15 minutes long? It would have had to have been 32 bit 192 Khz audio for like 15 minutes or something to get that big.

Hit bitrate compressed audio is indistinguishable from uncompressed audio.

I tried Love2d but if feels like I'm trading a toy for another toy.

I tried Godot too. Do you know where I can find good Godot tutorials?

he said he liked it but seemed super un-interested.

Never show people your hobbies unless you know it's rad as fuck and that they are interested in it.

>Hit bitrate
I meant high bitrate

I think it's too sudden, make the various elements fade in,

I was drunk

Unless your hobby is music and you can play music they like

Maybe your hook wasn't doing it for him? What is it?

Here's two lists of tutorials, demos, and open source games that is helpful for learning
godot-engine.zeef.com/andre.antonio.schmitz
github.com/Calinou/awesome-godot

t. my apple earbuds and headphone jack
change the skull to something cartoony
instead of the whole screen, have a central pop-up box with a thin frame.
shorten it to just " or to: Restart and start on word highlighting for faster and more engaging reading.

t. 10 years of music production

Thank you

If Anubis dev is here, do you know of any popular furry internet personalities? Trying to meme the fuck out of my game.

t. my ass

Is sketchup a good 3D model software?

Go ahead nerds, ask me where my game is, I fucking dare you

>computer is so shitty i'm programming on wordpad

Where
is
your
mage?

lookin for ur game

None of those are transitive verbs

Use vim if you have no ide

Fuck that.

WHERE
IS
YOUR
KNIGHT

KNAVE

You'll never tell the difference between 320Kb/s MP3 and CD quality WAV. OGG as it happens supports up to 450Kb/s. So even if you want to be autistic about your sound quality you can (and should) have reasonable file sizes.

If your game is less than 1GB, no one will take it seriously

Yes, I was just saying, it'd be nice to be able to use .wav in the real world due to it being as close to 1:1 as possible.

If your computer is that shitty get notepad++

If your game transitions areas too quickly, it will look amateurish, add loading screens and occasional framerate drop or no one will take it seriously

My game is under 3 mb.

design progress

Last demo day hardly anything over 200mb was being downloaded. People even bitched about my game being 70mb.
It's 31mb now

If I want to make a dash mechanic where you double tap a movement key in a certain direction a la kirby, would this be the easiest way to do it? Using gm

-first keypress sets an alarm, hspeed set to walk speed
-if keypress and alarm isn't 0 set hspeed to dashing

Is this some kind of ravenloft turn-based rpg? I like it, looks interesting.

that's basically how double-click works
except you don't use a timer, you just store the timestamp of the last keypress, and do currentTime-lastTime

it's more like japanese schoolgirls and yakuza drivers fighting against cosmic horror

anybody got that low poly - high-res texture image of a "bullet man", rocket man or something?

it's like a 50's space man with a jetpack and bullet helmet i think. Red, bronze colors i think

That's Junji Ito you dingus!

>he fell for the procedural meme

Got the basics of the first part of the main quest implemented. It is not very complicated. There are 4 zones and in each zone there's something you have to interact with. The part I still have to do is the final dungeon, which will be an indoor zone (I don't have any indoor areas yet) so I will probably have a lot more learning and coding to do for it.

I had to change a bunch of stuff with the quest system too. Now quests can support any number of prerequisite quests instead of just 1, and they don't appear in the quest log anymore. Also, if the first task in a quest is talking to someone, it doesn't appear (it shows up in the title as: received quest from x). Also I had to add in a little hack so that if you find a statue before talking to the NPC, it automatically triggers all 4 subquests.

Yes.

Same thing.

So I'm trying to add some fire particles to my fire sword attack and I needed a placeholder in the mean time.

"dagger" was the first thing that popped into my head.

it's this pic but there was a larger version

Sounds neat. Where can I follow your progress? Tell me more about the game.

What's a good way for scripting point-to-point movement in GML that circumvents the "Bouncing" when it reaches a point?

I've tried plenty of different ways that work to a point, but I'm interested to see what the most efficient way would be.

I think you should keep it like that or make another ability that shoots daggers.

Move the minimum of (distance to point) and (speed * delta time).

Ok I want to learn a language. I'd like to do this partly by making a game (also open to enginedev). I'd also like the language to be some mix of interesting/fun (example: java is not fun, haskell is fun) and viable for a job (example: java is viable, haskell is not).

I'm thinking maybe C# but I don't know anything about it. I've learned bits of: sql, ruby, c++, R, haskell. Obviously I'm kind of a fan of haskell, with its lovely types and functionalness but cabal was a shitshow last I looked. Plus it's not great for jobs.

I've lurked here a lot so I'm aware of the tools and languages that come up for the most part. And as far as type of game, probably I'd be best served by a roguelike, or anyhow 2D. I want to get into shaders and someone linked some cool shit once but I've lost it by now.

Bunch of only vaguely /agdg/-related shit, sorry about that but thanks any advice.

Preemptive because I leave for work in 30 minutes and I won't be back til Tuesday

==|AGDG Weekly Recap|==
Game Name: Retribution (WIP)
Dev Name: HeartTrauma
Tools Used: Love2D
Website(s): hts-johnnyc.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Enemy can move linearly or via a bez curve. Enemy movement/speed/time can all be controlled by writing a single line of code.
+ Drafted out half of stage 1 from backgrounds, enemies and their placement, bullets, etc..
+ Have an awesome song for Stage 1 made by soundcloud.com/prutte-1
+ Players have two shot types now Type-Takumi and Type-Vodka
+ Created a tilemap module though I haven't had a chance to see if it actually works.
+ Drew a few tilemaps, they're ugly as sin
+ Primitive scoring system implemented, enemies drop medals when killed.
+ I have a new job
- All my work hours are incredibly inconvenient

stealing this

there's a bunch of modern roguelikes made with unity and sdl and the like
there's always classic ncurses though
c++ and c# are pretty much your options if you want something that's not completely useless