Elantra Touring

Could I hear your thoughts on the Elantra Touring?

Also known as the Hyundai i30 outside of the states.

I might be looking at a manual '11 SE model tomorrow, it's priced at ~$8k which is around my budget right now for a hatchback/wagon to go to college with. Also looking at the Honda Fit.

I've heard last gen Hyundais and Kias are pretty good value right now, any other "hidden gem" type cars I should known about?

Other urls found in this thread:

thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/comparison-review-2013-elantra-gt-vs-2011-elantra-touring/
losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cto
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670838785.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5670839215.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670833961.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5655126276.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5627817912.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5590581727.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5670090327.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5595505955.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5663275792.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5662787431.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670702219.html
caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-focus-se-manual-hatchback-test-review
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>any other "hidden gem" type cars I should known about?
The Kia Forte.

I pray the bottom one isn't yours.

>not unironically liking rice
What's wrong with you?

and it came in hatchback flavor as well.

Looks like the hatches are a bit harder to find, or at least they are in my area.

Also, if the Forte is just the Elantra under a different name, then it won't have fold-flat seats either. That, and the less-than-enjoyable drivetrain are the only two negatives I can think of when it comes to the Touring/Forte5

I do like the debadged looks on these babies, though. Wonder if I would ever be able to pull off something similar if I did end up with the Touring.

thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/08/comparison-review-2013-elantra-gt-vs-2011-elantra-touring/

This site prefers the limited-production Elantra Touring over the new Elantra GT.

I still like the Fit Sport a lot, but it seems like those are difficult to come by in manual as well. Even though the automatic comes with paddle shifters, I'd like a manual gearbox for my first car since I've been commuting by motorcycle for the past 3 years.

The ET gets compared to the Mazda 3 a lot. Apparently it's still fun to drive, even if it's not a MS3. My friend has one and the interior is very nice, but he also has some difficulties with hauling cargo back and forth from college. Seats don't fold flat either.

bump

neither of them had flat fold seats and they have the same drivetrain. WTF are you talking about?

? That's exactly what I said. Their drivetrain is less-than-enjoyable than say, a Fit or a Mazda 3, and they both don't have fold-flat seats.

Shut up and buy a civic for 3k or an interesting car for 8k or put your 8k down on a 25k car if you have a job and credit. Don't buy this shitbox.

Well, I need a hatchback/wagon for college. Also would like fold-flat seats for other "college activities."

EP3 would be a good bet, as the SVT, but I can afford something a little nicer than a $3k 13-year-old shitbox.

Do you have any opinions on the Honda Fit? What other interesting cars for 8k did you have in mind?

Pro-tip: You're never going to fuck in the back of it. Rent a van or truck to take your shit to college or get your parents to haul it for you.

Post your local craigslist.

>Their drivetrain is less-than-enjoyable than say, a Fit or a Mazda 3
It's actually a more fun drivetrain than the Fit. The Fit uses a 1.5L SOHC engine that's slower than a 2000 Toyota Echo. The Kia/Hyundai use a DOHC 2.0l with actual aftermarket support and between 150 to 170 HP depending on year.

Avoid the Fit. They're plagued by reliability and leaking issues, and they're slower than everything they competed against, even the Korean built Chevrolet Aveo.

I would look at a 2007-2012 Nissan Versa hatchback, but ONLY if it has the manual. The CVT automatics are as reliable as Donald Trump's business sense.

Wtf are you on about m8? the versa is literally the second worst car you can buy after smart car. The fit is perfectly reliable car. Gutless, yes. Early first gen fits leaked in the back but that's like the only problem.

losangeles.craigslist.org/search/cto

I did have my parents help haul my cargo for the past two years while I rode my bike solo, I'm lucky enough to have that option. Still would be nice to do it myself, or if I ever want to go camping or whatever and need as much space as possible.

I remember somebody recommending the Fit in that car sex thread a few days ago, claiming you could camp out in the back of it. I'm 6'2", so I'm a bit skeptical, but I've been fucking in the passenger seat of my girlfriend's 02 Thunderbird lately so I figure anything would be an improvement over that. Also dat refresh mode looks comfy af, I could work with that.

This is good news. I'll have to see for myself when I see the ET tomorrow in person. Even if the seats don't fold completely flat, I bet sex could still happen in the back.

I was looking at 09+ Fits due to the leakage issues and whatnot. They've been called fun to drive if you get the manual, even at the lower speeds. Like a go-kart. I've had my fun with my SV650, I wouldn't mind not being as fast as long as the car is fun to drive at every speed.

Also heard that the Versa hatchbacks are the most boring cars to drive on Earth, even in manual. Will look into these though.

This is more like what I have read. Unfortunately with my budget I have to compromise somewhere, there won't be a unicorn for ~$8k that has guts, cargo space, decent fuel economy, reliability, etc.

The best subcompact is the Toyota Yaris. They are boring normally, still faster than the Fit since they use a DOHC 1.5L. But they have large aftermarket support to make them fun and interesting.

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670838785.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5670839215.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670833961.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5655126276.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5627817912.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5590581727.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5670090327.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5595505955.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5663275792.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5662787431.html

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5670702219.html

3rd gen Focuses are getting dirty cheap. Just make sure you get one with a stick

What year does that gen begin?

2012. I've seen them in the 6-8k range. great cars for what they are other than the shitty automatics

Nice, I actually tested an 03 SVT the other day and was pretty impressed. Are the non-ST variants still recommended? My budget will likely keep me in cold-hatch range.

absolutely. Here's a great review of the standard car from Car and Driver: caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-focus-se-manual-hatchback-test-review

First gen Mazda3 hatches are still a good bet OP