Twins turbos

So I recently bought a used 535xi and pretty much everything on the car works perfectly, but I am more than likely going to need to out new twins in. This car is notorious for this problem and the fix is quite straight forward if you know what you are doing. youtu.be/VQD6tITYH7k
What I am asking is would it be easier just to mod the turbos or just get new ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116
bmwblog.com/2012/08/16/n54-engine-warranty-extended-to-8-years82000-miles-wastegates-only/
dinancars.com/product/rebuilt-turbos-n54-e9x-335i-is-xi-dinan-rebuilt-turbos-for-bmw-e90-e92-e93-335i-is-335xi-n54/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just go to a hx35

Please explain or should I just Google that?

>replacing two snails easy and straightforward

Why do you think they need replaced? Do you have wastegate rattle? Is the 5 series not covered for the n54 hpfp and wgr like the 3 is? Also why in the fuck did you not get the v8

i know what it is.
a holset turbo

>Why not get the v8
Well I got an 08 xi for $6k so that's why

Yep. Just let it freeboost, will be a beast. It go for the vgt version for that sweet spool.

Sell it and get a v8 and enjoy a comparably worryfree life with an orgasm torque curve. But seriously how'd you snag that for 6K? Family friend or something?

>Do you have wastegate rattle?
I guess you didn't read the OP very well, but yes I do and my question is which is better for the price and time? Or since you suggested that other turbo hoe much would that cost to replace
The car has 144k miles so no warranty from BMW will cover the turbos.
Side note the car was originally bought for almost $60k

its not much of an upgrade, he should at least go ball bearing, well unless its an automatic then who cares about lag.

It is automatic btw, thanks for the tip

wow that sucks

I suppose a better option would be a gtx35 and gtx40 in a compound setup, best combo of response and top end.

OP doesn't mention it at all, you just said you think you need to replace it sometime soon. There was a YouTube but I'm not clicking that shit. Did you try the quickfix, and have you called BMW for the recall?

Also since you have an auto, look into the tranny reflash. Not sure if it's available for the 5, but it is literally a night and day upgrade for $100. I would say more important than jb4. Starts with an A, too drunk to remember what it's called exactly.

>But seriously how'd you snag that for 6K?
The car has 144k, needed an oil change 10k past due, and needs interior cosmetic work.
But the fucker drives like new

Sorry, op here, I thought jewtube was relatively harmless, but yeah I can here the waste gate rattle, currently though I am getting 23.5mpg so it's not an immediate issue.

Yes, but how much would that cost to install? Or how hard is it to install?

That is still stupidly low.
It is, drunkposting here.

I checked kbb and the price I got it for is about the value of that car and it's packages included, remember BMW tends to overprice their cars when you buy new

Not much, it's a fairly simple mod. Would obviously need a tune, but is almost bolt on.

Before going into the turbos, I'd look at a decarb first. The N54 needs it, especially over 75K miles.

>I'd look at a decarb first
Please explain further, I'm pretty new to buying used

e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116

Thanks for all the help, but if I were to get new turbos after, should I just order different turbos that won't have this issue again? That seems like a logical solution, even though those fuckers in Germany had some faulty as fuck turbos

There is an active program for N54 wastegate problems. I'd run the VIN at a BMW dealer.

Turbo and decarb have nothing to do with each other.

>its a bmw car is a unreliable pos episode
how the fuck is a car thats barely 8 years old have issues like this already?

I literally just went to one yesterday, those tools didn't tell me about that program. And yeah I was just asking since my original inquiry was about the twins

Bruh the n54 is notorious for this issue

why the fuck is this even a issue wasnt there a recall or something?

bmwblog.com/2012/08/16/n54-engine-warranty-extended-to-8-years82000-miles-wastegates-only/

user said there was a program for it

The car is a 2008 meaning it was made in 07 does this still apply?

>German engineering
man 2006-2010 cars really where GFC cheap shit

You'd have to have a dealer run the VIN. I suspect you're nearing the end if it's under 84K miles.

144k Miles on my car, they won't replace it

dinancars.com/product/rebuilt-turbos-n54-e9x-335i-is-xi-dinan-rebuilt-turbos-for-bmw-e90-e92-e93-335i-is-335xi-n54/

why do people use the word german engineered like it is a good thing?

BMW = Break My Wallet.

And the N54 is one of the cheaper engines to own.

Dinan makes good parts, but I'm sure you can find OEM parts a bit cheaper.

If that's the price for parts+ installation that's fine, but it seems like it be easier to just get a new pair that will be under warranty

OEM prices are ~2800 new.

The Dinan rebuilds are the best you're going to get I think.

Why is there all that plastic?

what the fuck am i looking at? Worst workshop manual ever.

I never said german engineering was good

If I buy them from a BMW dealership, they won't give me a warranty on their shitty parts?

Seems to be the trend now a days, I cannot tell you why because I don't manufacture cars

You will get a warranty from the dealer, yes.

I see an intake and an engine cover.

So essentially it depends on who installs it and how good each warranty is

>Is the 5 series not covered for the n54 hpfp and wgr like the 3 is?
Isn't this only in California because those turbos are considered emissions-related, or was that only for certain MYs of the 335i n54?

>And the N54 is one of the cheaper engines to own.
Compared to N51/52?

Now would be a good time to upgrade. Get a divided T4 manifold, Borg Warner EFRs are a safe bet for a turbo. Just pick the one in the ballpark of your hp target. An EFR 7163 would be the least laggy way to make 500hp. Get it all ceramic coated, new studs and you're away

vw tool 261

No, compared to the S62, N73, N74, S85, etc...

for less than $2000 in engine modifcation the N54 will deliver 400whp more if it does not have X drive.

the 550i only has 360 crank hp

Now if you arent going to do any engine mods V8 for sure but if you are looking to chase HP n54 is where its at.

>400whp more if it does not have X drive.
You can push an N54 to ~400HP for ~$600, xdrive or not.

I did it with my '08 535xit...

I'm Listening. I have a 08 535xit!

COBB stage 2.

And if the last 7 of your VIN is CX02118, you bought a salvage that shouldn't have been a salvage...

just ran to look... Im good.

I was gunna go JB4 with some Cobb bolt ons..

I'll have to check it out.

Just curious about the cost of that I'm willing to pay about $3-4k on performance uogrades

Op here, you say $600 but I can't install it myself, but willing to listen for more HP
My upgrade budget is $3k

Flip through COBB's website. I didn't go beyond the access port tune.

Normie who bought a poorly built and designed """"""""""""nice""""""""""""" car detected

144k miles
>10k past due for oil change
>bmw intervals already like 10-15k depending on vehicle
Kek, the PO probably barely took care of it. Enjoy you rubber timing chains

It was $6k and I'm not trying to hide that I'm new to THIS board
Stay salty I got it for $6k, and it drives like a fucking champ

You put on the Stage 2 tune without the corresponding bolt-ons?

madman.

And put ~15K miles on it. Couple observations...

1 - NEVER, EVER push it when it's cold. I never went above ~4K until I'd been driving for a good 20+ minutes.

2 - Don't ride hard and put away wet. If you're on it, let it cool before shutting off. I usually drove a few miles at ~50MPH (country roads) to cool off. And don't spend a lot of time at high RPM if you're not moving fast.

3 - Listen to the car. Something sounds funny, let off. Message? Let off and pull over.

Much like my horses. Listen to what they're telling you. Take care of them. Give them the care they need. And in return? They'll move mountains.

I do all these already. AND was planning on grabbing an access port soon for my 335 because cobb dropped the price on the n54 version recently.

Thanks for the info.