Got a chance to drive this at a local meet

>got a chance to drive this at a local meet
>owner wanted me to push it and beat it
>do so
>holy shit

Why does nobody talk about it? This car just takes it hard like the bitch it is. It's genuinely fun DD. I can't believe its korean, it reminds me of how Honda used to be.
If Hyundai can give it a slightly better chassis with the bigger 2.0t engine they have I might buy the next generation to DD while my project cars are in pieces.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dks1cqQZnqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I test drove one, it's trying SO HARD to be a 90's civic it's not even funny.

>100 won has been deposited into your account, Kim

Thanks.
The biggest thing holding it back is that it's based on such an old Accent chassis

they did pretty damn well considering it's a hopped up Accent.

After doing the drive I read up on some of what Hyundai has been up to since I've always just
>korean

I think it's cute how much they listen to the owners

if only they made a small FR for the global market, people would take notice of them. The Genesis is just too big, falls into pony car territory

I was buying when these came out, they were still a bit too expensive for what I was looking for and ended up with a mazda. Suprirsed how light they are for looking so fat. Still think they look alright despite the overdone interiors.

Heard Hyundai's shift pattern is obnoxious from a genesis owner though. Its the one thing he hates about it.

Speaking of pony cars

What about the genesis coupe, or did you mean the coupe.

The genesis coupe really is a different car, I don't know why Hyundai named it after their luxury sedan.

never driven a Genesis, but the Veloster's shifter has a crazy short throw for a stock car.

I meant the coupe.
also I see what you did there with that image.

>pony cars

Hyundai hopes to bud off the Genesis line as its own marque eventually. That's why the name is shared by the sedan and coupe- in the long run they want "Genesis" to be Hyundai's Acura/Lexus.

but wouldn't that end up turning Hyundai Cars into the Mercury of their brands? Not quite luxury, not quite blue collar.

I'm guessing that they see it as the only way for them to produce a "nice" car that people will take seriously.

I don't think Millennials will care much about the position of the Hyundai badge, as long as the cars remain somewhat affordable.

Yeah I guess millenials grow up in a world where Hyundai is more than just the shitty Honda
>tfw you still remember your friends telling Hyundai Honda jokes

I can't stand the Veloster.
1: It's ugly
2: the asymmetrical doors are weird as fuck
3: They claimed it was the world's first 3 door coupe. As if the 1999-2002 Saturn SC didn't exist.

Well to be fair, it didn't outside the US.

>inb4 "irrelevant markets"

>200HP max

What a downer

SHILLS OUT IN FORCE

The veloster is really attractive. It's great how squat and stout it looks

It was sold in Canada, and Japan too.
pic related. Bosuzoku Saturn wagon in Japan. Yes, Saturn made them RHD for the Japanese market.

Okay, that's pretty neat.

the out-takes from the commercial where they first announced they exported Saturns to Japan is fucking hilarious too... mainly because they got comedian Jim Gaffigan to do it in 1996. Saturns were sold in Japan through Toyota dealerships from 1996 through 2002.
youtube.com/watch?v=dks1cqQZnqg

If they gave it the 2.0t i'd buy it instantly. My friend drives a 2013 and even with the 1.6t it has genuinely impressed me.

Only the ass the front end needs to be bashed in
That's hilarious, I kinda want to import a TRD packaged RHD cavalier

well yeah it suffers from the modern car GRILLES

at least its eyes aren't crying with anger like other cars

makes me wonder if japan liked the cavalier...

The non-turbo front looks so much better to me, it's not even funny. It's amazing how much a small piece of plastic in that fuckhuge grille changes the look.

Well USDM is pretty respected in Japan

Looks less ricey

You're joking right, if not you're the 1st

get rid of that third door and make the passenger side a mirror image of the drivers side (and keep the front end of the non-turbo) and I would like the Veloster.

As it stands now, If I get anything from that company, it's going to be a Kia Forte, Soul, or Optima

>We just sent out first Saturns to Japan! We loaded them up with dynamite! Gonna blow the whole place up!
Why can't I stop laughing.

Different guy here, but the few I've seen in person (non-turbo versions) actually looked pretty nice to me.

It didn't sell all that well. IIRC, they only sold 30,000 in Japan from 1995 to 2000. A number of them were exported to New Zealand as used cars. ALL the Toyota Cavalier got the Quad 4 engine for their year, so 1995 models got the 2.3L, and 1996-2000 models got the 2.4L. Because of the engine size, it couldn't be sold as a compact car (Japanese regulations state all compact cars can have a maximum engine size of 2.0L) and so it was instead marketed as a luxury car in Japan (pic related). This severely hurt sales, which makes it hard to judge whether or not Japan actually liked it.

>America knows all about driving pleasure
Wow Japan
Y-you too

I had a 2014 Veloster Turbo, I recently sold it for a 2017 WRX. The Veloster is a genuinely fun car despite FWD and only 201 HP. I beat the hell out of it when I had it and can say it held up pretty well. The only problem is that my stock tires wore out only after 6k miles. Its just one of those cars where you can smash the accelerator and just not give a single fuck. The turbo in it is fucking god-tier, there is zero turbo lag and responds immediately.
The reason I sold it so soon is that I just felt it was lacking power, as my 2014 version had a 0-60 of 7.1, the newer version is like 6.4 or something. Also this car will give you a lot of bad attention because of how fugly it looks. This car pretty much came out of nowhere and everyone avoided it because it was a new design, but now its starting to get the attention it deserves.

My mum has a Turbo '11 in Boston baked bean red. We both love the handling and it gets out of its own way with the turbo, but its sightlines are awfully small and you sit very low to the ground making it even harder to see out of. The hatch also isnt that huge.

RX-8 also had the small 3rd door and that was a world produced vehicle.

The RX-8 had the half-doors on both sides, though.

>despite FWD
subtle

I have a non-turbo.

Slowest car I've ever had.
Funnest car I've ever had.

Also,

Blindspotiest car I've ever had.

Loser
Mata is better
RWD
IS
BETTER
F IF M YOU ND UCK YOU DUCK YOU DUCK YOU
MIATA
IS
ALWAYS
THE
ANSWER

nice parking

Do you live in NJ?

all the lack of power like a brz
all the blindspots of a focus
none of the fun to drive ness or power

top kek, why would you do that

Not to mention it looks like ass.

>get turbo veloster with all options as a rental
>what a slow piece of shit

Wow are you 12? Practice on parking next time retard

I think they are going to be good cars when you can find them at 5k on the used market and that should be likely to happen since I see Koup and velosters pretty often.

NC

More storage than a BRZ
Less reliability issues than any Ford.
Not even interested in any of those other cars.

Have you ever test driven any of the competition? Every car reviewer basically says that the Veloster is shit, and the new Mazda3 or Civic handles much better. Not to mention being more reliable

The new civic isn't really the same thing anymore and arguably Mazda 3

Civic is the size of a Camry now.

I've seen the new Accord and new Civic both drive by in my neighborhood. The Accord looks the same size as it's been, just with a retarded fake chrome bar in front of the grille. The Civic, however, I mistook for an Accord at first.

Why do you people like this piece of shit?

>shitty angry modern car design
>dynamically worse than a fiesta st
>rev hang
>driven mostly by women

Supposedly the Koreans were trying very hard with the veloster to be the next crx. In the literal sense.

I love how obvious it is that you have never driven it

Have you? Because it drives like shit and almost any post in Veeky Forumsabout velosturd says that it drives like shit
Fuck off newshit