/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

GameMaker Is Not Perfect, But It Is Good Enough Edition.

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3qdbCAOrI
amazon.com/15-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX68
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html
drawabox.com/
gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/finite-state-machines-theory-and-implementation--gamedev-11867
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alright, I did some analysis on Steamspy and found some interesting results.

Games tagged with both "Indie" and "2D" get 419,283 owners/game (according to SteamSpy), while Games tagged with just "Indie" get 15,513.5036 owners/game. This is just looking at games released this year.

>more tags = more exposure

what else is new

geez it sure is autism in here , are you one of those persons who stops the conversation to google some wikipedia and shove it in their face.
Who cares who own what game and if its 3D or not.
Some people like 2D and some people like 3D.
Both are fine.
2D won't die , just like books won't die , it will just gradually change.
Now please go away or post your freshest latest and prettiest progress.
ofcourse you don't have a game

user no baka

you made?

I made a game.
U mad?

Networked respawning is working, if the player dies he respawns at the last checkpoint he went through.

Not sure if i will make it in time for the demo day and if yes it will be pretty cut down demo, because most of track blocks and all items are still missing from the game and i haven't even built and tracks yet except the debug one.

yeah, but my game is at least good

Like every 2D Nodev post-bundle, I am making a Metroidvania, heavy on the Vania light on the Metroid. I hope to have something presentable eventually.

i hope this is meta-ironic shitposting and not an actual plan

you guys may be surprised, but most people don't care.

I wonder which dev u are.
I understand if u don't want to post your game.
I'd never post my progress and shitpost at the same time.

anyway, you guys inspired me to try music again, and found this program might be able to spit out some passable tunes with couple tweaks.

when is something more a vania and when is something more a metroid.
Aren't they the same ?

more melee/CQB = more vania
more shooting = more metroid

more edgy/gothic = more vania
more sci-fi/colorful = more metroid

How difficult is making a card game like Hearthstone? It seems like a fairly easy task, since there would be almost no animations or a lot of different levels. The only challenging thing is making this game balanced and interesting to play.

get all your cards and game straight, before you start drawing all that stuff, on paper our something.

>The only challenging thing is making this game balanced and interesting to play.
Sounds like you're downplaying a very hard task.

Maybe there's something I should read about card games to understand how to make them better?

you could read all the instruction manuals for all the other card games.

i've been here too long, I can't tell which posts are genuinely naive beginners, and which are finely honed bait. assuming you're not baiting:

a card game is hard because there are many cards with unique rules, otherwise the game would be boring. if the only mechanic in your game is two monsters punching eachother, then punching the player, it's fairly simple.

you know Magic the Gathering? they have an online version that is buggy as hell and has been for the last decade, over 3 or 4 versions. it's because there are 15000 cards and most of them have interesting abilities that have to be coded. hearthstone is simpler, and your game might be too. but every rule that you write on the card has to be coded.

>get a cool idea for a game, starting from flavour text and up to some sort of puzzle
>sitting at work, so can't write it down
>get home
>all those things you had in your head are gone now

Why are you doing this, brain?

make a prototype, print it and playtest the shit out of it with friends first, see what works and what doesn't - changing the rules on a piece of paper is easier than changing the code

This is wrong but I don't care enough to explain the reason

How about gothic sci-fi?

Demo day 10 in 20 hours. Hope you are ready for some cringey demo letplay youtube videos.

>Demo day 10 in 20 hours
I give up

I wouldn't do it because, lazy. But you could probably come up with an ok card game.

I have made working doors.

>game maker
>roguelike
bloat: the game

looks ok, might want to work on your room,hallways.

It's on the to do list, only have a few square room variations that spawn at the moment.

I have a point and a plane (point + normal vector)
Projecting the point onto the plane is simple enough,
but how can I calc a new normal vector to get the projected point to a specific x/y on the plane

I know it's not progress, but I've decided to sit down at my filthy workplace and sketch up a rough draft for a game map.

Just calculate the dot product.

I'm not baiting I'm just trying to come up with a good game idea for training. Maybe it really is dumb to try to create a card game and I should stick with something more simple.

cant
I don't know where the projected point is until the plane is oriented

Im thinking this is just trigonometry, the result will always be a right-triangle

Definitely start with something more simple.

platformer for your first game is easy and will let you get away with allot

salty

this user is right. read the rules to a card game. you have to code all of that, and you can't rely on the players to interpret something the "obvious" way. you have to formally write it all down in code. A card game is hard because it's not a small set of core rules interacting to produce interesting behavior. Instead, it's an interesting behavior on each card. I can't stress enough how many custom rules you need to code.

besides the coding aspect, balancing a card game with a custom deck is really, really hard. blizzard and wizards both have teams of people to do this. David Sirlin's Codex, which just came put and is well received, took ten years for his small team to make.

Fuck I really need to add some cute enemies

>demo is 800 MB big
>don't even have sound
what the fuck happened

I tried adding some sort of visual clue for when you make a mistake, is it out of place/outright bad? I'm not too happy with it myself.

>800 MB
oh shit, what have you done

this isn't juice, THIS is juice

youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3qdbCAOrI

If you have data on how players play your game and you wanna rate each level's difficulty based on that data, what is the best way to go about it?

I'm thinking looking at how much resources they used, how much HP lost, enemies killed and stuff like that. So if they use more resources and lose more HP in one level it must be harder than one where they lose less. But how do you know exactly how hard each level is, say, in a scale of 1 to 10? Is it impossible? Do I have to just compare levels between themselves and somehow come up with a number? I feel like there needs to be a place where I draw the line between what is difficulty 1 and difficulty 2, but I don't know what this line should be. I think it shouldn't be dependent on the game itself and that there must be a general approach to this.

Anyone's got any ideas?

fug the ""low poly"" asset pack I found is over 400 mb big

All I want is a cute trap to code and cuddle with. Is it too much?

definitely a more appropriate amount of juice, in comparison

So aggydaggy, let's say I want to hire an artbro, how much do I pay for him? I mean, 10$/art? 50$/spritesheet?

It's ok my game is 1.7GB right now. but im not submitting for the demo

Here you go
amazon.com/15-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX68
You might find it a bit hard to stop cuddling

$50 if you want a 1 pixel limbs 3 frame animations spritesheet

>Great for Thieves in the Dominican Republic. I have three of these and placed them where I know a group of thieves come in to steal chicken and plantains. almost ripped there leg off.. yyahhoo!! now anyone coming to the farm is scared shitless.. I tell everyone I have about 30 scattered around.. No more Stealing, and a very bad reputation...

If you are a hot girl desperate fat losers here will slave away for free for you

>3dpd
Nope

Depends entirely on the quality of the assets.

But I really don't recommend hiring them. You should team up and rev share.

I post cute anime, does that count?

Are you from Israel?

Make the cards and play it IRL first.

what is a state machine

boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html

It's basically a bunch of else ifs in an infinite loop

Where is a good place to learn to sprite guys? got GM pro, but I don't really have a good idea for a game yet and would like to work on my spriting in the meantime.

This may or may not be the right board to post in, but I'd just like a little insight.

How would I go about turning a board game I'm working on into a video game?

I've been working on this monster for the past year, and recently got some ideas to attempt a simplistic video game version to help write the rules.

Basically what I'm asking is, what's out there that I can use, that I can plug in some rules, commands and codes, and import some art i've done?

open up paint and google "pixel art tutorial".

drawabox.com/

I personally don't really like it to much. Looks like the HUD just got bugged to me.I think a semitransparent big red cross on top of the button would be a better approach.

gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/finite-state-machines-theory-and-implementation--gamedev-11867

Pick an engine and start programming. There isn't an ez mode.

thinking bigger is better, you amuse me. You probably think the more lines of code, the better.

Any engine with a full-featured language (Read: anything but GM) will make this relatively painless

hire me.
I'm serious

It amazes me that people can look at this code and not think "there has to be a better way".

That looks fun, how do you play?

What's the better way?

I'm going to put all of my code in each of my objects inside an "if (!pause)" and you can't stop me.

is that not the same?

wtf I hate game maker now

No. The majority of code in that article is meant as examples of what not to write, to show how much better the good code can be.

Right on, thanks!

I'd love to dude, been flying solo on this project since the beginning. But I'm barely scraping by with $$$ to get my first batch of prototypes printed.

Here's the TL:DR version

The game is called 'The 12 Towers'. It's a heavy PvP based game that combines placement strategy (Risk, D&D) cards such as weapons and spells (Magic: The Gathering) and very very lite storytelling (Talisman)

The objective of the game is to control all 12 Towers (All players, or "Keepers" start with 1 Tower). There's a lot of combat involved, but also politics, alliances, stealth, and even flat out backstabbing.

This is why tutorials are dangerous. When you need to learn something you can't tell if the tutorial is shit or not, like that state machnie tutorial is utter trash, but newfags don't know that and waste their time on it when there are better tutorials available
but that is how the internet works

Have you done any market probing though? it is possible that people will like the game but it is also possible nobody will even touch it

>I'd love to dude
>I'm barely scraping by
say no more senpai, I'll work for a bit of profit share.
add me on twitter @Clipartdev and we can chit chat. it really sounds like a good party game! :)

>stealth
how

If your game has simple rules but is mostly dependent on player politics, it will be very easy to implement
Keep in mind that indie games which require other players to be played are very risky
Just look at googum

>they fell for the gamemaker meme because it was on sale

do you need all 12 players to play?

>normal english words
>emord"""ni"""lap
>darude

>darude
>darude

Why would anyone think that when that way works fine?

you might do better with.

cool guy leaning against the wall.
guy who drank to much.
the too old for party guy.
the token guy.

stuff like that.

i see it. cut me a check, when your rich and famous.

Will do game bro

>stealth
>how
Simple actually, there's a few ways I've worked that out.

1. There are many cards and effects that negate damage, or prevent spells that target you. So you're flying under the radar, sort of speak.

2. Movement is a big part of the game. As you explore and discover things on the board, and gain Event Cards (which are kept secret), you'll get cards that give you a boost to your movement. SO with a good combo, you could blaze past half the board, through any defenses and take over a Tower like it's nothing.

That's just a couple examples, Ill take a look at the decks and find a better one.

because working fine and working great is the difference between an ape and a human.

What's a better blanket alternative?

Nope!

You could play anything between a 1vs1, and a 12 player Free-For-All.

My biggest game so far was a 4vs4 team battle . Took 2.5 hours to complete, but it was brutal.